The I need to buy a house thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The I need to buy a house thread

Post by sancarlos »

Damn. That is fast to turn over a house and have enough profit on the deal to offset the costs related to the sale and (2nd) new home purchase (and assuming they can still get the same interest rate as a year ago.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 pm Damn. That is fast to turn over a house and have enough profit on the deal to offset the costs related to the sale and (2nd) new home purchase (and assuming they can still get the same interest rate as a year ago.)
they were first-time homebuyers and put just over 3% down (BSF, how much did your buyers put in to start?)

after the 6% commission they're going to need to up the price of the house significantly to make some legit money back on that down payment, though given home prices in KC I could see that being possible. but that said, I'm very confident that there were no updates made to the house other than basement paint and will be very surprised if the pictures look vastly different than when they shot mine.

the lack of a down payment makes me think they're not trying to capitalize and upgrade already because of how inflated home prices have been for next-step-up homes. though he did just become a HSFB head coach right when they bought my house, so maybe their income increased dramatically.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:51 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 pm Damn. That is fast to turn over a house and have enough profit on the deal to offset the costs related to the sale and (2nd) new home purchase (and assuming they can still get the same interest rate as a year ago.)
they were first-time homebuyers and put just over 3% down (BSF, how much did your buyers put in to start?)

after the 6% commission they're going to need to up the price of the house significantly to make some legit money back on that down payment, though given home prices in KC I could see that being possible. but that said, I'm very confident that there were no updates made to the house other than basement paint and will be very surprised if the pictures look vastly different than when they shot mine.

the lack of a down payment makes me think they're not trying to capitalize and upgrade already because of how inflated home prices have been for next-step-up homes. though he did just become a HSFB head coach right when they bought my house, so maybe their income increased dramatically.
Nearly nothing. It's a bad story I don't feel like typing out. We got fucked out of about 13,000$ at the end of the whole deal because of a VA loan and their shitty rules no one discloses. Knowing what I know I should have walked away and taken another offer.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm

Nearly nothing. It's a bad story I don't feel like typing out. We got fucked out of about 13,000$ at the end of the whole deal because of a VA loan and their shitty rules no one discloses. Knowing what I know I should have walked away and taken another offer.
Never ever take a VA offer or FA offer. Fucked my brother big time.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:26 pm as soon as the permit is in, the fence will go in.
permit is in.
the fence however... not so fast. The price i was quoted.. has doubled, so now talking 12-15K.. and at least three months out.. and that's not even guaranteed. same for vinyl or wood. all fence guys say the same thing.. no materials and no labor.
fcuk.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:33 am
elflaco2 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:26 pm as soon as the permit is in, the fence will go in.
permit is in.
the fence however... not so fast. The price i was quoted.. has doubled, so now talking 12-15K.. and at least three months out.. and that's not even guaranteed. same for vinyl or wood. all fence guys say the same thing.. no materials and no labor.
fcuk.
Yeah lumber demand is up and supply is down. Price hit a record high last week. Chain link will look good right?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

already got a new gig. good for him. they're having to move out of state.

(he and I vaguely knew of each other throughout high school. he went to my local HS and was friends with people I was friends with. played college FB and then got a few games in the NFL before he got into coaching and personal training)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Time for an update on the neighbors from hell. Cerrano asked me about them a couple weeks ago, and that night at 4:45 I woke up to some loud techno music next door. Kept me up until 6:30. Following day, we invited my inlaws over to sit on the patio, and about an hour before, sure enough, they are gearing up for a large party in the backyard. Our patio is on the side of the house, and their enormous outdoor kitchen is on the side closest to our house. As my inlaws arrive, they start blasting shitty music and ear shattering volumes and tons of smoke starts streaming directly through the patio area. My wife has been afraid to invite anyone over saying they'll throw a party as soon as we do. I told her she's crazy... They also threw a birthday party for a 10 year old girl with about 50 people. Seemed a little weird, and I didn't really mind, as they shut the music off around 9. About a month ago, my son got a video of a couple dozen people leaving the house at 8:30 am.

Anyways, Saturday night the music started blasting around 10:00. I looked out, and there were lines of cars looking to park and all the street spots filled. At 11:00 I went outside and counted 35 cars, most from Connecticut. There is rarely more than one or two cars in the street. I decided to call the cops early and start building a record. Got a text saying police arrived on scene. Two hours later, music still blaring, so I called again. Got a call from an officer's cell phone saying they spoke to the people and made them turn music off, and if it starts again to give her a call. 15 minutes later, music back, so I called. She said they'd go back. By 1:30, music still never turned down I gave up went to bed. Woken by louder music at 2:30. Called police, went back to sleep. at 4:30 it woke me and my wife, I called police. Every time dispatcher said they spoke to the people and asked them to turn it down. I was fed up, told him they clearly don't respect a polite request from the officers, so issue a noise violation or do something. "I'll inform the officers." Turned the white noise machine to full volume, but the thumping base was louder. By 6:30, wife and I were both still up, called police again.

This time, we could hear the officer banging on the metal door to basement and screaming. Some asshole came out, officers were screaming at him over the music, pretty sure he didn't speak English. Guy who lives there yelled at cops that they couldn't hear the music. Officer yelled, 'bullshit, I could hear it two blocks down." Takes the guys license and drags him to the front of the house, leaving the door open and music going.

Anyways, my police captain neighbor (works in different town) went out and talked to the cops. They said they learned the people living there are running a business charging people to host parties. They are planning to track down the owner and issue a summons. That also explains the outdoor parties, I think they are using the house as a party venue. The big one last August had caterers and trucks full of rented tables, chairs, plates, etc.. On the plus side, they finally cleaned the pool, on the minus side, they put in a volleyball court in the backyard. Probably planning summer parties. House is still listed for sale, and they actually dropped the price $100k. My office in the front of the house, I haven't seen a single person go into the house with a realtor.

Next call is to the Mayor. She was really keen on shutting this down last summer. Also like to know why it took 6 calls to the police for them to finally turn the music off 8 hours later. I'm assuming if people are blasting techno music until 6:30 - 8:30 in the morning, it's gotta be some serious cocaine or molly going on over there. Nobody drinks and listens to that shit until the morning.
Last edited by The Sybian on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:53 pmThey said they learned the people living there are running a business charging people to host parties. They are planning to track down the owner and issue a summons. That also explains the outdoor parties, I think they are using the house as a party venue.
Can you go to court for an injunction? That probably violates some kind of zoning ordinance.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:56 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:53 pmThey said they learned the people living there are running a business charging people to host parties. They are planning to track down the owner and issue a summons. That also explains the outdoor parties, I think they are using the house as a party venue.
Can you go to court for an injunction? That probably violates some kind of zoning ordinance.
Last time, police said they couldn't prove it. One night there was a girl collecting money by the front door, with a line of people in driveway paying to get in. Should have taken a video. That was the night police ended the outdoor party and everyone moved inside, at least 100 people. Officers did knock on my door that night at 3:00 am to tell me the guy was very apologetic and promised not to do it again.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm
Last time, police said they couldn't prove it. One night there was a girl collecting money by the front door, with a line of people in driveway paying to get in. Should have taken a video. That was the night police ended the outdoor party and everyone moved inside, at least 100 people. Officers did knock on my door that night at 3:00 am to tell me the guy was very apologetic and promised not to do it again.
Does the owner on the property records actually live there?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:03 pm
No. We think it is his adult son, but not positive. Couple living there seems late 30s early 40s with a kid I'd guess is about 15. Curious if they send the kid somewhere during the parties. Owner doesn't seem to have any more current addresses listed anywhere. I did find his cell and his wife's cell numbers online, might just start calling them repeatedly at 4:00 am asking them to turn down the music the next time.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:15 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:03 pm
No. We think it is his adult son, but not positive. Couple living there seems late 30s early 40s with a kid I'd guess is about 15. Curious if they send the kid somewhere during the parties. Owner doesn't seem to have any more current addresses listed anywhere. I did find his cell and his wife's cell numbers online, might just start calling them repeatedly at 4:00 am asking them to turn down the music the next time.
Pretty sure they’d just turn off the ringer.

Good luck, Syb!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

But you really have to rage before the gig is up. You're old. When this type of thing is dropped at your doorstep it needs to be seen as a sign.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm But you really have to rage before the gig is up. You're old. When this type of thing is dropped at your doorstep it needs to be seen as a sign.
Umm, what? Are you telling me to join the party?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jeez Syb, I think I missed the start of this story. That’s awful.

But Citgo does sort of have a point.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

All I can think right now is Project X.

You need to help them get the word out about the parties. If the National Guard doesn't eventually show up then this entire story was for naught.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not just Utah.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's a funny (and realistic) video. Works fine on the Swamp, but, when I try to watch it on Instagram, the sound is off and I can't turn it on.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 am
permit is in.
fcuk.
Yeah lumber demand is up and supply is down. Price hit a record high last week. Chain link will look good right?
verified w the town i can put up vinyl or metal (iron).. multiple contractors and fence guys called, including Home Depot. No luck although some movement yesterday.. for 6 feet of wood but not quite what we wanted.
the house next door is selling (may buy the guy's Kawasaki 650) and the buyers approached us through their realtor (same one that sold the one we bought) to not put up a fence or put up black metal see through (not privacy) and they would put up 1/2 of the money. we're considering as we would use the remaining budget for landscaping to still get our privacy.
the sale closes in a month, there is now a surveyor outside measuring (either fence related cause they want their property line defined or their bank is doing it)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:08 pm
permit is in.
fcuk.
verified w the town i can put up vinyl or metal (iron).. multiple contractors and fence guys called, including Home Depot. No luck although some movement yesterday.. for 6 feet of wood but not quite what we wanted.
the house next door is selling (may buy the guy's Kawasaki 650) and the buyers approached us through their realtor (same one that sold the one we bought) to not put up a fence or put up black metal see through (not privacy) and they would put up 1/2 of the money. we're considering as we would use the remaining budget for landscaping to still get our privacy.
the sale closes in a month, there is now a surveyor outside measuring (either fence related cause they want their property line defined or their bank is doing it)
Surveyor is probably required by the bank or title insurance company. I've had to get a survey every time I've purchased.

ETA: I've been hearing a lot of people complaining that it's impossible to get a fence right now. Major shortages of material, I think with so many people getting dogs during the pandemic, there was a run on fences.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:39 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:08 pm
permit is in.
fcuk.
Surveyor is probably required by the bank or title insurance company. I've had to get a survey every time I've purchased.

ETA: I've been hearing a lot of people complaining that it's impossible to get a fence right now. Major shortages of material, I think with so many people getting dogs during the pandemic, there was a run on fences.
This probably played a factor, but I think other renovations people made with stimmy money has just put a huge strain on the lumber industry as a whole. And with houses selling so fast, builders are going HAM.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:39 pm ETA: I've been hearing a lot of people complaining that it's impossible to get a fence right now. Major shortages of material, I think with so many people getting dogs during the pandemic, there was a run on fences.
We put in a fence late fall. Had the same issues with material shortages. The whole supply chain was screwed. Steel was back logged, fence manufacturing was back logged and the shipping between everything had similar problems.

A prior employer supplied building materials to independent lumber yards. It was incredibly interesting talking to the commodity buyers. Based on pricing they would purchase entire trains from mills like Weyerhauser before getting orders from the lumber yards. They could then slow the trains in their journey by parking them or sending them on busy routes in order to get them to transfer to a semi and arrive at a retail lumber yard at the right time. The business made all their money on percentage of the difference between the wholesale price when the order came in and the price they actually paid. They did similar things with materials like windows, trusses, flooring, etc...

More than once trains were lost for days or weeks only to be found later.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm
They tend to make wrong turns.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm
testuser2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm
They tend to make wrong turns.
Fucking Albuquerque.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:54 pm the people that bought my house are putting it up for sale 14 months after purchasing it

I'm intrigued to see how much home prices have increased in KC in that time because of the pandemic and how many of the improvements that I made to the house are listed as attributes. I don't think they did much other than paint -- the yard was pretty damn perfect and it already looks terrible.
lol the house looks worse than it did when I lived there -- they left the empty hole in the wall where the bar fridge went! -- and they sold it for considerably more than list price. I first bought that house in 2011 and they sold it in 2021 for 1.8x the price I paid for it. I know the KC real estate market had some catching up to do, but I think we're approaching bubble territory if we aren't there already.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah but 2011 was also the absolute market low so maybe not the best reference point. It's the inflation that scares me and it's apparent. What's gonna happen when they have to raise rates to 10% to combat. No one is ready for that. We've all forgotten. Demand will disappear because they can't afford.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Houses in my hood are selling for triple what I paid, but I couldn’t afford to buy anything right now because everything else is selling for more also. Friends who are realtors are saying new listings are scarce.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, we’ve had the “wouldn’t it be cool if here was the only place where prices were going insane” talk. Cash out and go (almost) anywhere.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

We are considering buying a place at the beach though. Not sure I feel like having a mortgage. Right now, for the first time in a long time, we are debt free.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There seems to be a bit more inventory in Tucson compared to recently. But it's very noticeable that homes are in the low 300s, on average from my rough guesstimate, compared to the 225s-235s from years prior.

Which means my probable down payment is going to be "lost equity" if the market reverts.

I gotta really figure if it's worth it to buy when I get back vice renting an apartment for a year and saving here and there.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The housing market here in the Triangle has always been solid, but we haven't really had booms. Now in the last few months both Google and Apple have announced plans to open up large offices full of highly-paid tech folks. Everyone's expecting house prices to skyrocket. We'll see.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This shit is outta control. (But it looks to be at least stabilizing in Tucson a bit.)

The housing market is so hot buyers are paying $1 million over asking price
Competing against 50 other offers on the home, the buyer offered more than $100,000 above the asking price -- all cash, according to Thomas Brown, agent with and founder of The Agency Texas, who represented the buyer who was moving to Austin from the San Francisco area. But that offer was matched by other buyers. So to seal the deal, Brown's buyer offered something extra: to buy the seller's next house.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Folks at the end of our cul de sac just got 80K over asking. Nice house. No yard.

Things are going here faster than 7 years ago when we bought our house, and that was fast as hell.

_____

My parents live outside Lake Placid NY, lots of people evidently moved in during the pandemic thinking they can work remotely...the Internet and cell coverage blow (aside from Verizon which is OK), my parents know a guy that puts a drive on the bus to NYC every week with his work files)...things have gotten so bad that the town has tried to build some reasonably priced apartments, they can't find any land to buy.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anecdotal, but feels like it’s slowing down from peak here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

In laws got 20k+ over asking and was listed by owner for one day. FIL told realtors he was only paying 1.5% no matter what. Not one challenged him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guess who is driving to Tampa area next week to move in law stuff?!?!?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Beach trip!
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Not a mistake I would make