The I need to buy a house thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The I need to buy a house thread

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:20 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm this is what 540 gets you in KC just around the corner from us

and this is the house we got outbid on at over 391. It's the only place I have real regret about not buying, though our mortgage would have been considerably higher than this place because of the taxes.
It has a urinal, and you let it go! Huge mistake. I love the color scheme in that house. The dark floors with the black doors looks really cool. Although I'm learning the downside of dark wood floors, you see every spec on the floor. My wife is vacuuming 3 times a day.
Maybe pick up a broom jackwad.
Damn, that escalated. She bought a Dyson cordless mini-vacuum and it's her favorite toy, sweeping would be stealing her joy.
Watching you sweep might be better.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:18 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 pm I think I like Highland better once you make the kitchen look nicer rather than just like mine.
I like the Highland house. Lots of nice touches with the accent walls and I'd love an indoor hot tub. We didn't even look at houses with pools, much to my daughter's anger. Too much work and money. Would have been nice during the pandemic, though. If you do get this house, you need to have a NJ Swamp sleepover with that bunk bed set up in the basement.
maybe.
got three offers on ours -- and turned down two others that were unreasonable. no open house. about 15 showings since wednesday evening. accepted the first offer...(was really dusty where mrs el flaco was reading it.. the 4yo old apparently loved the soccer around the house) put an offer down on the wilson house (same realtor represents the couple buying our place).. the extra $500 or so a month for pool maintenance is too big a nut to deal with
saw wilson again... yeah.. hoping it works out.
will have to save up to finish the wilson basement.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Been playing around on Zillow, as my wife and I have been disagreeing about the value of a house for sale 2 doors down from us. Anyways, I checked on a house of an acquaintance that was for sale the same time ours was, but sporadically listed. Just saw it sold as a "short sale," for $415,000 below the estimated value. Really nice family, I know them through coaching soccer and he was the head scout guy in our local Boy Scout chapter. He is a big Trump guy, despite being an immigrant from a South American country. After the election, his Facebook updates became completely unhinged, to the point that I had to block him. I did get a kick out of his cousin destroying him when he went off about Biden destroying the country by opening the borders. I wish I took a screen shot. Sounded like his father used wealth and influence to buy his way into the country through questionable means. She ripped him for forgetting where he came from, how he got into the US and then wanting to close the door behind him and shutting out everyone who isn't his family. Now I'm really worried about the guy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

EddieV?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 pm I think I like Highland better once you make the kitchen look nicer rather than just like mine.
I like the Highland house. Lots of nice touches with the accent walls and I'd love an indoor hot tub. We didn't even look at houses with pools, much to my daughter's anger. Too much work and money. Would have been nice during the pandemic, though. If you do get this house, you need to have a NJ Swamp sleepover with that bunk bed set up in the basement.
maybe.
got three offers on ours -- and turned down two others that were unreasonable. no open house. about 15 showings since wednesday evening. accepted the first offer...(was really dusty where mrs el flaco was reading it.. the 4yo old apparently loved the soccer around the house) put an offer down on the wilson house (same realtor represents the couple buying our place).. the extra $500 or so a month for pool maintenance is too big a nut to deal with
Wilson seller countered, we countered. they accepted last night.
the Wilson realtor is our buyer's realtor -- so both realtors are making out like bandits.
we wanted time between closings ... close Wilson first, time to paint, etc.. realtors are having a freakout about it.
mrs el flaco woke me up at 4 this morning she coulnd't sleep was having an anxiety attack over the whole thing. got her to sleep.. then got me awake. fortunately got my mind off it around six as work messages started pouring in as we debated the state of our offices in the northeast (all essential workers, as long as state is open we're open)... a buddy of mine on a zoom call simplified it.. no sense in fretting whether it was the the right house or the right price to sell -- we got what we wanted, be happy. i'm deleting trulia & zillow. and the garden will have plenty of space for rows of peppers...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:37 am
elflaco2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 pm
maybe.
no sense in fretting whether it was the the right house or the right price to sell -- we got what we wanted, be happy. i'm deleting trulia & zillow. and the garden will have plenty of space for rows of peppers...
This. Lay back and enjoy bud. Send more Juansauce. Had the last 80% on a plate of nachos last night.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Sauce will be out on saturday... made a fresh batch this past sunday-- bit different ingredients (added pineapple to balance out the ghost pepppers.. not so many habaneros in this one), but sill plenty hot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:34 pmEddieV?
Ha!!! Forgot about him, but excellent guess. I haven't seen him post on the town FB forum in well over a year. Nobody joined his crusade about the CIA using cell phone transmissions to activate the receptor they implanted in his daughter's brain. Last time I spoke with him, he called me trying to get me to start our own travel soccer club. He had some big ideas, priced out how inexpensive the league fees were. I asked him about insurance and gave him a reality check on getting field time. He thought he could just sign up for the one turf field in town, no problem. The amount of politics and bickering between the various sports to get time on this field are unbelievable. Plus, it's County owned, so the community college trumps the town sports teams. I don't mean to make light, because he was a great guy, I really liked him a lot, but he has some serious mental illness, and it's sad to see. On the plus side, another parent mentioned Trump being a great businessman during the 2016 election, and Eddie went off on how Trump is a moron who turned an inherited fortune into a slightly smaller fortune, while the other father is still flying his "Trump 2020 No More Bullshit" flag.

Since I'm posting a private chat to you, congrats on the house! Definitely best to not continue looking or questioning the decision. There will always be something that looks better online (but will have things wrong if you looked deeper), so just focus on making the new house your own. And pineapple sounds intriguing...
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:37 amno sense in fretting whether it was the the right house or the right price to sell -- we got what we wanted, be happy. i'm deleting trulia & zillow. and the garden will have plenty of space for rows of peppers...
Anecdotal, for sure, but I feel like the regret of missing one is a lot worse than the regret of buying one, especially right now. My wife's cousin has been trying to get into our area for two years while being super picky, including a house they really liked but backed out of over the inspection about a year ago and they're dying over that call. You can't un-miss a house you wish you'd gotten, but you can sell one you wish you didn't with the only real downsides being a little money and being further away from Syb.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you don't own, while waiting for the gas company to arrive you don't sit in your car trying to figure out what the out of pocket costs could end up being.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 am Sauce will be out on saturday... made a fresh batch this past sunday-- bit different ingredients (added pineapple to balance out the ghost pepppers.. not so many habaneros in this one), but sill plenty hot.
YUUUUUPPPP
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

cooking thread? or house thread?
assume you got the sauce?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 am cooking thread? or house thread?
assume you got the sauce?
I just searched for sauce and didn't even notice it wasn't the cooking thread. Yes, I got it and yes it is hot. I will have to be judicious.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

House hunt/sale update
purchase -
under contract for the purchase as of 12/31 .. conducted home inspection yesterday.. don't expect any surprises - two hours ago we are notified that the property is once again showing as active in MLS, Zillow, Trulia -- just sent letter to realtor/attorney/sellers.. reminding them we are under contract and under the gun in terms of mortgage by end of month (in progress, no issues expected).. should the listing not go back to 'under contract' we will pursue legal action. gut reaction is to get out - unfortunately there are no other properties around right now.

Sale
not under contract, ammendment after ammendment -- currently working out a deal to stay here up to two weeks AFTER we close so we can paint/prep new place -- buyers and their realtor were ok w all.. their attorney is crap(both realtors were unhappy w their choice of attorney)

both the sellers at wilson and our buyers.. are represented by the same realtor -- she runs a large community fb group -- which mrs el flaco will likely blow up should this shit show continues. i do not not want to lose this deal.

in the meantime.. we've had all sorts of issues w the hoa of which i'm president -- so can't wait to get out of here in six weeks -- we had meeting last night where i officially stepped down after 12yrs although on the hook to help until closing.. they did ask me if i would consider managing it after i leave...

what a shitshow.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:10 pmunder contract for the purchase as of 12/31 .. conducted home inspection yesterday.. don't expect any surprises - two hours ago we are notified that the property is once again showing as active in MLS, Zillow, Trulia -- just sent letter to realtor/attorney/sellers.. reminding them we are under contract and under the gun in terms of mortgage by end of month (in progress, no issues expected).. should the listing not go back to 'under contract' we will pursue legal action. gut reaction is to get out - unfortunately there are no other properties around right now.
This happened with us too, although I want to say they didn't show it as under contract for an uncomfortable amount of time post-acceptance but we were assured it was just a 3rd party issue and not indicative of the seller's intent. Worked out, but sucked at the time because of the inherent distrust built into this whole process.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:12 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:10 pmunder contract for the purchase as of 12/31 .. conducted home inspection yesterday.. don't expect any surprises - two hours ago we are notified that the property is once again showing as active in MLS, Zillow, Trulia -- just sent letter to realtor/attorney/sellers.. reminding them we are under contract and under the gun in terms of mortgage by end of month (in progress, no issues expected).. should the listing not go back to 'under contract' we will pursue legal action. gut reaction is to get out - unfortunately there are no other properties around right now.
This happened with us too, although I want to say they didn't show it as under contract for an uncomfortable amount of time post-acceptance but we were assured it was just a 3rd party issue and not indicative of the seller's intent. Worked out, but sucked at the time because of the inherent distrust built into this whole process.
distrust is right.

our sale is contingent on us buying. we managed to find something we liked.. got a lot pressure to get under contract .. we did.. then they started dicking around - or at least their attorney did.. our attorney.. is us...for now.. she's actually out of state this days and let her license lapse so that should be done in two weeks.. at which point she'll be unleashed upon anyone on the other side.. until then we get advise as to what to write.. all goes out under our name.. their attorney isn't happy (why should he care?) that we aren't attorneys and is being a prick (according to our realtor)..
he was told by both realtors that the u&o clause is common in town (where we stay for a period after closing and pay them rent to the tune of per diem in mortgage interest & taxes) but the attorney didn't want to include it.
i'm thinking i need to speak to teh buyers.. they own a restaurant in town.. as i'm not an attorney there shouldn't be any ethical dilemmas (lawyers, what say you?)
so we just laid down an ulimatum.. told them we need to be under contract today else they are putting our deal to purchase in jeopardy... and house will be listed again tomorrow morning otherwise (likely well go back to the other offers we turned down)..

and its PA calibration week at work... ugh.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I wouldn't worry about the house being listed while under contract. Our Realtor does that, but doesn't show while under contract. I think it's a hassle to change the listing, and if the deal falls through, easier to start showing than relisting. There were a bunch of houses we wanted to see that were listed, but when my realtor called, was told they were under contract and not showing. We had one or two where they told us it was under contract, but we could see it in case the deal fell through. They disclosed and told us they wouldn't hear an offer, I don't have a problem with that. I know she continued to show our new house while we were under contract just in case. I thought it might fall through on our end, so I wanted her to so we could limit damages if we failed to close on time. When we sold, it stayed listed and she never put an Under Contract sign up. We continued to show, but in the contract agreed not to entertain offers.

As for their lawyer not wanting to talk to you, I don't blame him. It's a major ethics violation for an attorney to talk to an opposing party directly if they have an attorney, you can lose your license for that. I'd also be pissed dealing with an attorney who wasn't actively licensed in-state. Probably an ethics violation on your attorney's part. Real Estate closings are probably the worst cases for attorneys. The pay is crap, and it's high stakes and emotional for all parties involved, fraught with countless landmines. Plus, there are a lot of moving pieces to keep track of. I can't believe how little they charge. If our attorney when we bought was charging by the hour, it would have been below minimum wage. I guess it's possible things can go smooth, and our attorney when we sold had his 22 year old straight out of college assistant do all the work. We had one call with him. He didn't even respond to emails, just forwarded to her. Guy was a complete asshole, too, so I was fine explaining legal concepts to his assistant in order to have her get things done. [props to her for trying and wanting to learn, just fucked up he left her on her own for the most part.]

I would also advise against speaking directly to the other party. Sometimes it seems easier to cut out the middle man, but shit can get emotional in residential real estate, and it's best to filter through attorneys or realtors. That said, when we bought, our realtor was the listing agent, and she was a direct go-between for us. There were so many major issues holding shit up, we didn't have time to wait for attorneys, so she would ask the seller/builder what he really wanted or would give up and tell us what was negotiable and not. He left a lot unfinished he planned to do to buyer's choice, like closets, so we gave her the specs on where we wanted shelves and such to avoid lawyers and having to negotiate and put in a contract. Stupid shit could have held us up, but when what we asked for wasn't possible because of standard door sizes, we got the message in 3 minutes and agreed to the feasible rather than wasting a week through lawyers with both sides thinking the other is unreasonable.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I would also advise against talking to the other party directly. We had a deal that was falling apart and I was advised to speak only to the realtor and through e-mail if possible for a paper chain.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kentucky "email"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

After years of threatening it, today is the day I become an expat. Right after those Senate wins too. Maybe I was the problem. We’ll keep on a light on for those of you visiting down the road.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:10 am After years of threatening it, today is the day I become an expat. Right after those Senate wins too. Maybe I was the problem. We’ll keep on a light on for those of you visiting down the road.
Safe travels today Brian. Keep us posted on your new adventure and don't get mixed up with Los Federales
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:10 am After years of threatening it, today is the day I become an expat. Right after those Senate wins too. Maybe I was the problem. We’ll keep on a light on for those of you visiting down the road.
Maybe you were.

Good luck, Brian.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Good luck, can't say I'm not a little jealous. Maybe when the two parasites in my house finally get their shit together and move out, we can do the same.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Enjoy it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 am
Safe travels today Brian. Keep us posted on your new adventure and don't get mixed up with Los Federales
Good luck, Brian!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Be safe. Enjoy!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Have a good trip and enjoy the start of this next phase!
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watching these idiots storm Congress, I'm picturing Brian boarding his plane like the last helicopter leaving Saigon.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The timing is fucking insane.

Save travels, amigo.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brian is in for a treat when he lands!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Really poetic to leave on the day.

Have fun in Mexico!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:46 pm Brian is in for a treat when he lands!
Had a bunch of texts to the effect of “you left just in time”.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Contracts signed on both transactions. Got the U&O dealt with. Prepping for the move now.. $2500 to move a 2bd townhome 1.5 miles? WTF? i mean, inflation and all i know can't compare .. we moved here 15yrs ago from a simliar size place .. 30miles away, $500. i got it reserved but will be shopping it around.
my sat morning soccer group has suggested renting a truck and they'll move me... long as i have steaks and drinks afterwards. considering.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We've always moved ourselves, just hired a college kid off facebook once when I needed help with some of the larger furniture. Moving is too expensive for me to justify spending well over a thousand versus like $100 to rent the U-Haul and a PTO day.

(But if you do, watch those NJT bridges!)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

update!

got additional bids on moving.. all at same price range.. sticking with original and working on culling inventory -- despite multiple offers.. my knees say don't do it!

on the purchase - bank assessment came in $1500 above our offer and well under asking so we done good. waiting on quote for the fence..mrs el flaco is working w the contractor, most of the kitchen is on order.. just doing purchase on accents and some furniture (8-12 week leadtime on counter stools? wtf!)
on the sale -- their attorney still pretty bad.. we did speak w buyers in terms of repairs they wanted, agreed to $1000. their inspector was absolute shit. called out all sort of things wrong. their mortgage assessor was in this morning.. as long as no surprises.. closing in three weeks and moving in five.

who wants DVD and CD collection?Also stuffed animals.. multiple bags worth!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Worked with a mortgage broker, rather than my bank, or the guy who picked up the phone when I called Rocket Mortgage, and got my 4.75 30 yr mortgage down to a 2.99 20 yr mortgage, and took out a hefty chunk to pay down higher interest debt.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:06 am update!

got additional bids on moving.. all at same price range.. sticking with original and working on culling inventory -- despite multiple offers.. my knees say don't do it!

on the purchase - bank assessment came in $1500 above our offer and well under asking so we done good. waiting on quote for the fence..mrs el flaco is working w the contractor, most of the kitchen is on order.. just doing purchase on accents and some furniture (8-12 week leadtime on counter stools? wtf!)
on the sale -- their attorney still pretty bad.. we did speak w buyers in terms of repairs they wanted, agreed to $1000. their inspector was absolute shit. called out all sort of things wrong. their mortgage assessor was in this morning.. as long as no surprises.. closing in three weeks and moving in five.

who wants DVD and CD collection?Also stuffed animals.. multiple bags worth!
Sounds like everything is moving along smoothly. Make sure you, your lawyer and realtor keep on the banks to make sure they get mortgages done on time. We had a "time of the essence" clause, meaning the purchase terminated if it didn't get done on the closing date. Bank didn't get my mortgage closed until after 9:00pm the night before closing, and I was on the phone most of that time with a VP making sure it got done. Everyone went home for the day, and he promised to stay until he got it done himself. On the sale end, the buyer's bank didn't finalize the mortgage until 2 weeks after closing, so we had to keep pushing back. That was back in July, and there were so many sales going through, they were overloaded with paperwork. I have to think that isn't the case right now.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yep. on the purchase end, we're moving right along. quite happy w the rate we got - just booked the moving.. got it down by $500 so far so that's a positive. utilities scheduled.. not doing hard line on the phone though - fck verizon. basic service is 65.. for the pleasure of getting 30 calls a day from spaminators. this move better come soon.. got several good bottles for my 50th last month that i'm waiting to open in the new place.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's the 30 year at these days?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »