Re: The I need to buy a house thread

Post by P.D.X. »

Srsly? Calling my lender tomorrow
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:52 pm Srsly? Calling my lender tomorrow
I've not see it THAT low, but I think you should be able to get around 2.75 or so at worst.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:57 pm
I've not see it THAT low, but I think you should be able to get around 2.75 or so at worst.
Yea. 2.1 is insane unless you're paying points or whatever that shit means. I'm at 3.625 on a 15 that's 20 months old. I know I can refi but it seems like so much work to save so little money over the course of the next 5 years.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i'm sure the tax increase we'll see once we close will make up for it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:47 am
I feel personally victimized.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:10 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:57 pm
Yea. 2.1 is insane unless you're paying points or whatever that shit means. I'm at 3.625 on a 15 that's 20 months old. I know I can refi but it seems like so much work to save so little money over the course of the next 5 years.
it's always worth it -- allegedly -- to refinance if you're saving a point or more. I'm wondering if we need to refinance. We're at roughly where you are for a 30 and I'd think we could get it down to a 20 with the same payment.

Buying the house is reflecting nicely on the taxes though. The money we're getting back will pay for our vacation.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I just locked in a 2.75% fixed rate refinance today. If I overpay the principal each month so that my total payment is the same as my current 3.75% loan, I can knock down my principal nicely.

I was surprised I could find somebody who would even do a loan for me, given that I'm retired and my only regular monthly income is a modest pension.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:52 pm I just locked in a 2.75% fixed rate refinance today. If I overpay the principal each month so that my total payment is the same as my current 3.75% loan, I can knock down my principal nicely.

I was surprised I could find somebody who would even do a loan for me, given that I'm retired and my only regular monthly income is a modest pension.
Came in just above that here, cut 2 years on my mtg (down to a 20 yr) and was able to cash out enough to pay off CCs that had run up after starting the new firm.

ETA - I will say that doing this paper work as a W2 and K1 paid person was a gigantic nightmare.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

2.5% on the nose, motherfuckers.

(Yet another time where I've felt guilt over positive financial shit over the last 11 months.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:41 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:52 pm I just locked in a 2.75% fixed rate refinance today. If I overpay the principal each month so that my total payment is the same as my current 3.75% loan, I can knock down my principal nicely.

Came in just above that here, cut 2 years on my mtg (down to a 20 yr) and was able to cash out enough to pay off CCs that had run up after starting the new firm.

ETA - I will say that doing this paper work as a W2 and K1 paid person was a gigantic nightmare.
That's great.

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:07 pm 2.5% on the nose, motherfuckers.

(Yet another time where I've felt guilt over positive financial shit over the last 11 months.)
No shit, right? Though I guess "got a good loan rate" is probably fairly far down the list of things to feel guilty about. I fixate on "I still have my job and neither me nor anyone in my family has lost their housing."
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

for me it's the "well she's in healthcare and she'll always have a job"

and it's absurd how the housing market has exploded here during the pandemic. I'm gonna call our lender when we get back from vacation and see what we can do. I've got no problem extending the loan a year back to 30 to cut the monthly payment by $175
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When we did it, it wasn’t an either/or for 15 or 30, we could have picked in between as well. And we shaved like a full $500 off doing nothing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was shocked by the wide range of rates offered by different banks. Pays to make more than one call.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 pm I was shocked by the wide range of rates offered by different banks. Pays to make more than one call.
Absolutely. Worth the work. I gotta get a spreadsheet going.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, this might be the only thing where I “have a guy”. Used him three times and each time he’s beat by 1/8 or 1/4.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:10 pm Yeah, this might be the only thing where I “have a guy”. Used him three times and each time he’s beat by 1/8 or 1/4.
Would you be interested in tossing your guy some swamper business? I think it’s time to take advantage of the rates and knock some years down or go in the other direction at get some money out for a new roof and som windows.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I sold my house and car before my move to Korea. My wife moved to Tucson ahead of me because that's allowed and encouraged as far as the military is concerned. We're going to bank a great deal of money while I'm here. I'm getting excited to go out and house hunt.

By the time I return stateside in November I hope the market is advantageous to the buyer, but you never know. My goal is to have a mortgage/insurance payment covered by my retirement check alone so I'm never homeless.

In the meantime I'm totally treating Zillow like SNL says we do.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd think November might be more of a buyer's market than late spring and summer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

in another timeline we would be closing on our new house in an hour... as is, we are delayed a week.
our buyers dragged their feet and told their bank to slow roll it.. seems the woman had some health issues and instead of having her husband use power of attorney .. she fucking slowed it down. their attorney and realtor had no clue (so they say) .. and their assessment classified our house as a condo not a townhouse so that had to be resolved.

won't go into all the details .. been holding the mrs off from going nuclear.. but i know a banker, realtor and a lawyer who will be selling a Camaro in the very near future.
and yeah.. the loan came in at the number i posted.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

and so it continues.. from an early morning call saying the closing documents were signed and everyone was ready for friday (although i'm sure the coming storm will likely derail that) to an email saying no.. buyers aren't ready... to my speaking to the buyer's attorney (after leaving a vm for the buyer's realtor).. which quickly caused my blood to boil. i'm still coming down from that incident 30 mins ago. supposedly getting resolution in two hours w assurances that all is being done to not jeopardize the deals.
think sybian said it best.. sucks being a real estate attorney.. don't make much for their troubles.. i assure you these clowns are getting paid far too much to do squat.

i pulled up the law office's reviews on google, yelp and related legal review sites.. absolute shit. some good but the balance of the reviews matches our experience. a camaro is too good for these fuckers.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

2.375 on a new 15 year, free to me because wife works for a bank, and drops my PMI.

Win win win.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow. That’s really good. Congrats.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:45 pm I sold my house and car before my move to Korea. My wife moved to Tucson ahead of me because that's allowed and encouraged as far as the military is concerned. We're going to bank a great deal of money while I'm here. I'm getting excited to go out and house hunt.

By the time I return stateside in November I hope the market is advantageous to the buyer, but you never know. My goal is to have a mortgage/insurance payment covered by my retirement check alone so I'm never homeless.

In the meantime I'm totally treating Zillow like SNL says we do.
People typically put their houses up in spring/early summer, so if you see stuff that's been on the market a while...

(though you should never buy a place you don't absolutely fucking love, unless you know you are going to rent it, if not immediately, soon)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pmPeople typically put their houses up in spring/early summer, so if you see stuff that's been on the market a while...

(though you should never buy a place you don't absolutely fucking love, unless you know you are going to rent it, if not immediately, soon)
Unfortunately for the buyers these days it just isn't staying on the market long enough right now regardless of the season.

And I totally love a place like this: (I'm a huge sucker for "Southwest style" homes.)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2438 ... 73487_zpid

I just would hate to buy a spot like that and then lose a bunch of equity once the market calms down.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's the latest Elflaco?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:56 amAnd I totally love a place like this: (I'm a huge sucker for "Southwest style" homes.)

Holy shit, I just found the inspiration for the tan-on-tan-on-beige-on-tan kitchen at our house.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:56 am
blundercrush wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pmPeople typically put their houses up in spring/early summer, so if you see stuff that's been on the market a while...

Unfortunately for the buyers these days it just isn't staying on the market long enough right now regardless of the season.

And I totally love a place like this: (I'm a huge sucker for "Southwest style" homes.)

I just would hate to buy a spot like that and then lose a bunch of equity once the market calms down.
I Like the style too, but it would look so weird in NJ. There is an enormous Southwest style house with a huge yard and horses next town over. They can pull it off since they have acres of space and fenced in horses. Wouldn't work in a neighborhood. I love the covered outdoor space, but if you are going to put in a built in grill, why make it so small? Such a shame, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred to put in a larger grill.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Syb gon host the pig pickin
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:17 am Syb gon host the pig pickin
I would love to! We used to host an annual Memorial Day party that I'm itching to get back to. Between planning on moving and pandemic, it's been 3 or 4 years since we've done it, and I don't think the pandemic will be safe enough in May. Rass got to experience the horror of the year it rained and we had over 100 people show, most with little kids. My son's friends dropping cake on people walking up the stairs and another friend standing on my daughter's bed with his pants around his ankles swinging his junk around while the girls cowered in the corner screaming. I think Flaco missed that one.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm dropping in on all you motherfuckers once vaccine rollout is complete. Never wasting another opportunity to get out and see the world.

elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 am What's the latest Elflaco?
where to start..

had to talk the missus off the ledge multiple times yesterday.
as of last night we knew the issue.. the one piece of paper missing that our buyer's underwriting needs... is something from the bank in BANGALORE.. verifying that their down payment money (in their US bank account since november) is of good provenance.. but no one was told they needed something for it until yesterday (hence my certainty that a certain mortgage lender in long island will be selling lots of camaros in the near future)... supposedly this issue is being worked on by the family in India who gifted them the down payment money (one of the mothers).. but... its India.. and they are already past end of their business day.
then the sellers' realtor (who is also the buyer's realtor) called to let us know the sellers are getting antsy and may not consider an extension (contract stipulates we have to close by cob on the 22nd.. but we've learned that real estate contracts are fungible at best)..

Then vodka.
i then had an anxiety attack overnight (maybe shouldn't have had all that vodka last night) which had me awake the wee hours
cut to this morning and the missus is back we were yesterday -- going to lose our purchase, going to be forced to vacate our home.. the money we spent on cabinets, island, appliances, etc.. all pre purchased (because of long lead times) and due to arrive starting in two days... but mainly the fact that we'll be out of both sale and purchase.. not good.
spoke to our lender.. he is looking into helping us close on the purchase regardless (although it is contingent on the sale.. but we can carry both mortgages for a bit)..and he told us to calm down.. seller isn't likely to cancel the contract this late in the game as they would need to start over and we are within days.. spoke to our attorney advisor an are drafting letter to seller's attorney/agent to extend - no one has issued any notices regarding dates yet -- and are continuing to pressure the buyer's side. most of the emails back and forth on the sale transaction are being handled by the mrs.. she has both title companies working with us and their lender.. their realtor is clueless (but she finally admitted she has a reputation to uphold in town and this whole thing isn't good for her -- that and the fact she is getting commission on both transactions, well both realtors are; and she is finally getting involved to get this across the finish line) -- complicating the whole thing.. the 6-12" of snow falling today into tomorrow where the title agents may not want to drive... and for the buyer's.. the wife has some mysterious illness and is set to go into exploratory surgery on monday morning...maybe its analbob.

already reached out to moving company to change moving date - just in case
and already prepared if needed to get a truck, get the soccer guys to help me move all that is packed into storage so the house can be shown again if needed

have a fun filled day at work today.. and running a board meeting for soccer tonight (retiring from my current role at end of spring season, will look to stay on running the finance role)

i won't buy a house with an HOA again.
and i won't buy/sell a house that is contingent again.
.. had to stop typing -- our lender called back -- IF we want to close on our purchase, we can... we have the $ needed at closing .. of course we then run the risk of delays running long and causing us to have two payments.
we have some time - well about 24hrs - to decide.
Last edited by elflaco2 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 am
I would love to! We used to host an annual Memorial Day party that I'm itching to get back to. Between planning on moving and pandemic, it's been 3 or 4 years since we've done it, and I don't think the pandemic will be safe enough in May. Rass got to experience the horror of the year it rained and we had over 100 people show, most with little kids. My son's friends dropping cake on people walking up the stairs and another friend standing on my daughter's bed with his pants around his ankles swinging his junk around while the girls cowered in the corner screaming. I think Flaco missed that one.
i did - the times we've come, we did not see any other swampers.

Greek Easter is in May this year -- as i'll have a backyard.. i plan to have traditional Greek Lamb on the spit that sunday...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Try not to sweat it too much Flaco.

If you need anything on the $ side between the deals shoot me a message and we'll help where we can.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 amThere is an enormous Southwest style house with a huge yard and horses next town over. They can pull it off since they have acres of space and fenced in horses.
Is this on whatever the road is that connects exit 40 on 78 to Springfield Ave?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 am

Greek Easter is in May this year -- as i'll have a backyard.. i plan to have traditional Greek Lamb on the spit that sunday...
I am there! No invite needed, since you spilled the beans on the house location. Let me know if you need help moving.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 amThere is an enormous Southwest style house with a huge yard and horses next town over. They can pull it off since they have acres of space and fenced in horses.
Is this on whatever the road is that connects exit 40 on 78 to Springfield Ave?
No, the house next to Camp Riverbend on Hillcrest Rd in Warren.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, we're talking the same one. Check a map, son.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:34 am Try not to sweat it too much Flaco.

If you need anything on the $ side between the deals shoot me a message and we'll help where we can.
yeah.. it will work out in the end. and if it doesn't then we'll figure it out. good thing is all parties seem to want to make it happen. last night was just a bit much and at 3am no one to talk to.
thanks for the offer. really appreciate that.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:39 am
elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 am

I am there! No invite needed, since you spilled the beans on the house location. Let me know if you need help moving.
yeah.. i realized it as I was typing that i'm basically inviting the jersey swamp contingent to just drop on by...

the moving quotes all came in the same - took the local one -- got them to drop another 10% -- if i can have a few days after closing before moving date, will remove enough things from our current place to drop another few hundred.