The I need to buy a house thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: The I need to buy a house thread

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 amI Like the style too, but it would look so weird in NJ. There is an enormous Southwest style house with a huge yard and horses next town over. They can pull it off since they have acres of space and fenced in horses. Wouldn't work in a neighborhood. I love the covered outdoor space, but if you are going to put in a built in grill, why make it so small? Such a shame, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred to put in a larger grill.
Oddly enough, Victorian homes don't look weird in the Southwest, though:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/144- ... 77017_zpid
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Update! ..cause i know you wanna know.

Took friday off, spent the day playing tetris with boxes and furniture on the main floor so to accommodate the need to empty the basement (of office stuff not being taken by movers) and speaking with our bank... we figured out after all it doesn't have to contingent on the purchase (although just because the bank says we can afford two mortgages.. doesn't meant we want to for the long term)

sunday got an email in the evening telling us we are clear to close, sent some final documents this morning and after being told the sellers can't until wed (despite the pressure they were putting on to close today) are scheduled now to close on wed on the purchase... move is scheduled for the 28th, so i've got a little time.
on the sale..
buyers paperwork from India came in late friday .. they will be ready to close (if all is good) on wednesday.. we will tell them to fuck off and close on 3/1 (so no U&O for them).. if they don't like it, then really fuck off.. and we will either re-list to sell or rent (have both buyers and renters lined up, although not officially of course)
so off the ledge.. plans and backups in place. we did forget to exclude the yale/google lock from the sale, so need to buy a new one before wed.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Man, I love moving but your saga reminds me how much I hate the actual buy/sell process. Glad it sounds like its going to work out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:22 am Update! ..cause i know you wanna know.

Took friday off, spent the day playing tetris with boxes and furniture on the main floor so to accommodate the need to empty the basement (of office stuff not being taken by movers) and speaking with our bank... we figured out after all it doesn't have to contingent on the purchase (although just because the bank says we can afford two mortgages.. doesn't meant we want to for the long term)

sunday got an email in the evening telling us we are clear to close, sent some final documents this morning and after being told the sellers can't until wed (despite the pressure they were putting on to close today) are scheduled now to close on wed on the purchase... move is scheduled for the 28th, so i've got a little time.
on the sale..
buyers paperwork from India came in late friday .. they will be ready to close (if all is good) on wednesday.. we will tell them to fuck off and close on 3/1 (so no U&O for them).. if they don't like it, then really fuck off.. and we will either re-list to sell or rent (have both buyers and renters lined up, although not officially of course)
so off the ledge.. plans and backups in place. we did forget to exclude the yale/google lock from the sale, so need to buy a new one before wed.
Great news, I was thinking about you this weekend.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Closing scheduled on our purchase for 1230 wed. all clear from all parties.

radio silence from the buyers on our sale.

to complicate matters (because really its been soooo easy so far).. the boy has an indoor track meet on saturday morning (rescheduled from last week).. and has four games scheduled as part of a a tournament over the weekend (which was supposed to be only sunday).. either way there's going to be an annoyed kid and at least one unhappy coach... i'll figure that part out later this week.

may just rent a truck friday and call o folks to help move the stuff the movers aren't going to.. or just bite the bullet and pay them more to just pack it and empty it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Water showing up inside dining room ceiling probably from leaky toilet. Fun times on a Tuesday night.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 pm Water showing up inside dining room ceiling probably from leaky toilet. Fun times on a Tuesday night.
Eeeek. Did you get the cool latex bubble at least?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 am
bfj wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 pm Water showing up inside dining room ceiling probably from leaky toilet. Fun times on a Tuesday night.
Thankfully, no. Seems to have stopped when we killed the water feeding the toilet.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 am
Years ago we had a roof leak in the attack that eventually went through the ceiling in my daughter's room. The latex bubble was the size of a bathtub, and at the center, was [how do I phrase the measurement in a way that won't set up Mr. D? Inches, latex, daughter's bedroom... This post has it all!]. Had to cut out a section of ceiling about 4 feet wide and 6 feet long. Wish I took pictures, but I was too shocked and worried. Amazing how strong a couple coats of paint can be.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

We bought a zoo.

wait, no.

We bought a house. Changed the locks around 6 last night - contractor dropped off dumpster last night, met him and his crew this morning. Meeting Optimum at 11a today so we can get access to the intrawebs (no cable though, new service will be 500MB so no issues with all devices and firesticks.

on the sale.. nothing yet from the buying party on clear to close -- we will dropping the hammer on them tomorrow - give them the week to close before it goes on sale/showings next weekend --
i'll worry about the financial juggling starting monday - mired in calls todays (interviews and PAs).. taking tomorrow off to do shit at the new house and deal with some medical stuff that came up (i'll put that up elsewhere on this site) and will spend the weekend juggling house stuff and the boy playing a tournament (four games) but at least the track meet was cancelled. Movers come at 930a on sunday.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats buddy.

(and I don't miss juggling soccer tournaments and track meets for the same kid on the same weekend)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:52 am We bought a zoo.

wait, no.

We bought a house. Changed the locks around 6 last night - contractor dropped off dumpster last night, met him and his crew this morning. Meeting Optimum at 11a today so we can get access to the intrawebs (no cable though, new service will be 500MB so no issues with all devices and firesticks.

on the sale.. nothing yet from the buying party on clear to close -- we will dropping the hammer on them tomorrow - give them the week to close before it goes on sale/showings next weekend --
i'll worry about the financial juggling starting monday - mired in calls todays (interviews and PAs).. taking tomorrow off to do shit at the new house and deal with some medical stuff that came up (i'll put that up elsewhere on this site) and will spend the weekend juggling house stuff and the boy playing a tournament (four games) but at least the track meet was cancelled. Movers come at 930a on sunday.
Congratulations. What a journey.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wait, no.

Fantastic news, congrats! The boy playing at the DTS tournament?
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats! More importantly, when you making more Juansauce? Gotta pay that double mortgage somehow, amirite?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And in other housing news, just looked at my window and see a for sale sign on the front yard of the neighbors from hell. Curious what they list at, as Zillow's estimate is $400,000 higher than the final listing price they failed to sell at last year. They were under contract at $100,000 over the final list price, but they had a 6 month close from January to June 2020, and it turns out a lot changed during that time. They put it back on for maybe a month in June. They put in a shitty above ground pool close to my property, and they haven't cleaned it once and don't cover it. It concerns me, as when they first built the pool, it collapsed and all the water went downhill onto my yard and driveway, and I put in a patio on that portion of the driveway. I looked up permits, and they never put in for the required permits, which are required. I was tempted to report the pool as the Town said they would require them to remove the pool. Now I don't want to have the property flagged for permit violations while they are trying to sell, as I just want them out. OTOH, I don't know how they are going to sell the house with the disgusting pool, and I can't imagine the animals living there will clean the pool for showings.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 am And in other housing news, just looked at my window and see a for sale sign on the front yard of the neighbors from hell. Curious what they list at, as Zillow's estimate is $400,000 higher than the final listing price they failed to sell at last year. They were under contract at $100,000 over the final list price, but they had a 6 month close from January to June 2020, and it turns out a lot changed during that time. They put it back on for maybe a month in June. They put in a shitty above ground pool close to my property, and they haven't cleaned it once and don't cover it. It concerns me, as when they first built the pool, it collapsed and all the water went downhill onto my yard and driveway, and I put in a patio on that portion of the driveway. I looked up permits, and they never put in for the required permits, which are required. I was tempted to report the pool as the Town said they would require them to remove the pool. Now I don't want to have the property flagged for permit violations while they are trying to sell, as I just want them out. OTOH, I don't know how they are going to sell the house with the disgusting pool, and I can't imagine the animals living there will clean the pool for showings.
This sounds a lot like my neighbors from hell, although they aren't selling, at least not yet. The owner is the family matriarch, who is in her mid-80s and has a heart condition. We've seen ambulances come and go multiple times in the last six months. But they too put up an above-ground pool (including a small wood deck) without permits, they never clean it, and the cover they put over it has long blown away. And it's still full of water! That's always a good thing to do in a winter environment, right?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 am And in other housing news, just looked at my window and see a for sale sign on the front yard of the neighbors from hell. Curious what they list at, as Zillow's estimate is $400,000 higher than the final listing price they failed to sell at last year. They were under contract at $100,000 over the final list price, but they had a 6 month close from January to June 2020, and it turns out a lot changed during that time. They put it back on for maybe a month in June. They put in a shitty above ground pool close to my property, and they haven't cleaned it once and don't cover it. It concerns me, as when they first built the pool, it collapsed and all the water went downhill onto my yard and driveway, and I put in a patio on that portion of the driveway. I looked up permits, and they never put in for the required permits, which are required. I was tempted to report the pool as the Town said they would require them to remove the pool. Now I don't want to have the property flagged for permit violations while they are trying to sell, as I just want them out. OTOH, I don't know how they are going to sell the house with the disgusting pool, and I can't imagine the animals living there will clean the pool for showings.
This sounds a lot like my neighbors from hell, although they aren't selling, at least not yet. The owner is the family matriarch, who is in her mid-80s and has a heart condition. We've seen ambulances come and go multiple times in the last six months. But they too put up an above-ground pool (including a small wood deck) without permits, they never clean it, and the cover they put over it has long blown away. And it's still full of water! That's always a good thing to do in a winter environment, right?
I read up on it, apparently you aren't supposed to empty an above ground pool, as the liners need to stay wet. We were initially afraid the walls were going to break again as the water froze in the pool, and all the snow fall put the water at the top, so we feared spill off. Apparently freezing isn't a concern. This is the house I wrote about in the summer as they were throwing parties with well over 100 people in the pandemic, and using my driveway at 3:00 am as the Uber line staging area. They have an insanely loud sound system they constantly played at parties and during the day when they used the pool. It's right next to my wife's office and the master bedroom. It's not loud enough from the street for the police to do anything before 10:00. They've been quiet for a while, but had a party that went until 8:15 am a few weeks ago. My son said he saw at least 50 people coming out of the side door to their basement. I really hope they sell. Found the listing on the realtor's site, looks like they are listing $175,000 below the Zillow estimate. If they get rid of the pool and haven't destroyed the inside, I think they might be able to get that. Very little inventory in that price range.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think you guys should go to your grocer and buy a whole fish (preferably a smelly one like mackerel) and throw it in the above-ground pool. If you do it right after a party that will deflect blame away from you.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats, Flaco. I’ll miss reading your home purchasing adventures.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am

wait, no.

Fantastic news, congrats! The boy playing at the DTS tournament?
think so -- sat 1pm, and 330p @ mountain park field in basking ridge; sun 1145a, 1p @ middlebush park in somerset --

wasn't able to move the MOVE date from sunday -- so he will likely get a ride w a teammate (or miss the 1st game)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 am Congrats! More importantly, when you making more Juansauce? Gotta pay that double mortgage somehow, amirite?
yeah.. sorry.. the sauce making ahs been on hold .. that said... for those interested.. i do have a couple of cases of sauce and one of jam - i had slowd it all down due to the house adventure...

i could be ready to ship starting next weekend.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:43 pm Congrats, Flaco. I’ll miss reading your home purchasing adventures.
yeah... the buying part is done.
can i post the selling adventure here?

we emailed all buying parties (attorney, banker, agent, buyers) today reminding them of their multiple broken promises and past due CTC dates.. told them we need details today and firm closing date by cob tomorrow - on monday we will issue official 'close by date and put house back on the market.

we're certain the house will sell -- if not to these idiots, then to someone else -- the larger issue is the contractor is going to want to be paid.. he knows whats going on and will work with us..but his crew will need to get paid.. and we needed a portion of what we are clearing for that purpose. may need to become liquid quick soon
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 am Congrats! More importantly, when you making more Juansauce? Gotta pay that double mortgage somehow, amirite?
yeah.. sorry.. the sauce making ahs been on hold .. that said... for those interested.. i do have a couple of cases of sauce and one of jam - i had slowd it all down due to the house adventure...

i could be ready to ship starting next weekend.
Truly just kidding with that ask. Although it is delicious, and I'd love more.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am

think so -- sat 1pm, and 330p @ mountain park field in basking ridge; sun 1145a, 1p @ middlebush park in somerset --

wasn't able to move the MOVE date from sunday -- so he will likely get a ride w a teammate (or miss the 1st game)
looks like all u13 and older games were just cancelled
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I still haven't had my first dose yet.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i wonder why that is.

just kidding.. it fell through the cracks. i'll hook you up next weekend -- only $150 an oz.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:43 pm Congrats, Flaco. I’ll miss reading your home purchasing adventures.

we emailed all buying parties (attorney, banker, agent, buyers) today reminding them of their multiple broken promises and past due CTC dates.. told them we need details today and firm closing date by cob tomorrow - on monday we will issue official 'close by date and put house back on the market.

we're certain the house will sell -- if not to these idiots, then to someone else -- the larger issue is the contractor is going to want to be paid.. he knows whats going on and will work with us..but his crew will need to get paid.. and we needed a portion of what we are clearing for that purpose. may need to become liquid quick soon
and we're done!

waiting for the wire to post.. otherwise.. all good.

move on sunday had a couple of iffy moments... movers couldnt' figure out how to get the queen mattress down the stairs (when we moved in, the russian movers jammed it up the stairs and damaged the wall).. they proposed jamming it down but wouldn't repair the wall.. as we scheduled closing for today... i said leave it (after they wasted 20mins discussing it amongst themselves).. ended up cutting it down with a circular saw.. and bending it down the stairs.... they also wasted another 20 minutes trying to jam a large shelving unit thru the deck door-- even started taking the deck door apart.. i saw them, told them to stop and in five minutes broke it down...but we moved in within the allotted time frame, nothing was broken or lost (yet).. so we moved in.
the sale.. finally got all our stuff out last night (movers only take boxes, tubs, bags).. turns out neither the boy nor the missus had done their due diligence.. so i busted my ass the last two days (while working) to get it all done.
met the cleaners at 6 this morning.. they were out by 9.. walkthrough at 11.. i met them for the keys...
two hours later we get an email from their attorney asking for $1500 credit at closing for unfinished paint and patching.. told them to fuck off (politely) had they closed as scheduled on the 11th or even the 19th.. they wouldn't have had an issue... took another hour of calls/emails.. but finally the buyers relented and said they were willing to write it off. we get to see them again on friday as we made deal to give them the new amana washer/dryer at our new place (we took our new and better samsung set w us).. and they are picking them up (same moving company).. they'll have fun hooking them up as the dryer is gas and ours was not (already had the wiring done here).. and the own restaurant in town.. so we'll see them again.

a lot of drama? not really .. i've left off a lot of crap. It was excruciating. two real estate transactions in my life.. the first one was great. no issues (lots of paperwork, all email now)... this one.. sucked.

on to the Home Repairs thread!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:22 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 pm

own restaurant in town.. so we'll see them again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I love that your houses essentially traded washers and dryers. The whole inclusion/exclusion aspect is like the only fun part of selling. When we sold in Delaware, the new owner asked about a ton of things and we ended up giving her a grill, some patio furniture, a TV and two room specific chairs, all of which wouldn’t have made the move, in lieu of cash for other inspection items. The next two times I’ve asked our realtor to tell theirs before inspection to go through and see if there’s anything they’d like to negotiate in, both to save on real money and because I like seeing the asks. Ended up giving some barstools and I think a mirror in Boston but declined leaving the dining set in the NJ move.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We’ve also made it a habit to leave things, like a bottle of wine or a few beers, but also weird hidden shit or things we don’t want like a shitty blender. Boston got a massive pack of paper towels because we had completely run out of room in the truck.

I miss moving.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:17 pm

I miss moving.
You’re a monster.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m sure it’s like long driving trips or Amtrak where I think I miss it right up until I start doing it again then I wish it was over. Right now at 4.5 years in this house is the longest I’ve been living in one physical place since I was 15.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:16 pm I love that your houses essentially traded washers and dryers. The whole inclusion/exclusion aspect is like the only fun part of selling. When we sold in Delaware, the new owner asked about a ton of things and we ended up giving her a grill, some patio furniture, a TV and two room specific chairs, all of which wouldn’t have made the move, in lieu of cash for other inspection items. The next two times I’ve asked our realtor to tell theirs before inspection to go through and see if there’s anything they’d like to negotiate in, both to save on real money and because I like seeing the asks. Ended up giving some barstools and I think a mirror in Boston but declined leaving the dining set in the NJ move.
We bought half the furniture from the seller of our first house. Really nice guy in his 50s, divorced, and moving in with his sick father to take care of him. He couldn't take his furniture and didn't want to deal with it, so he offered to leave behind couches, a large dresser, his enormous TV (just before flat screens, so a huge box that stood on the floor), two couches, and a bunch of other stuff for $1,000. Newly married and coming from a tiny one-bedroom in Manhattan, we were thrilled. Never negotiated anything else on either end. We were hoping to leave the enormous cast iron desk the previous owner left in the basement, but the buyer specifically requested we remove it. I still can't believe the scrap metal guys who came for it were able to get it up the stairs and out the door. They don't make furniture like that anymore, it was like it they built it out of a bank vault door or something. I was so pissed they made us move it.

Last move we bought first, so I sold a bunch of stuff we left behind. I absolutely hate selling shit online. People would say they were interested, ask a million questions, I'd run over to the house and sit around waiting and they wouldn't show, or show an hour late. Or I'd get people haggling me to death, then realize they are in Mozambique and want me to pay to ship. WTF? It was fun selling the dining room set to a couple about to get married and move into their first home. They were both just so excited about life and getting grownup furniture.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:25 pm

I miss moving.
You’re a monster.
Yea, that's psychotic. Moving is a top 5 worst human activity on a list that includes death and dismemberment, war crimes, and listening to a screaming baby in a restaurant that the parents are ignoring.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 am

I miss moving.
You’re a monster.
Yea, that's psychotic. Moving is a top 5 worst human activity on a list that includes death and dismemberment, war crimes, and listening to a screaming baby in a restaurant that the parents are ignoring.

Oh, another good threadjack: Worst place to be trapped with a screaming baby!

Airplane is up there, as you really have no place to go.

(Also brings up the MASH scene where they are on the bus... The one with Hawkeye in the psych ward where he keeps saying it's a chicken making all the fuss while the N. Koreans are searching the area. That episode FUCKED ME UP as a kid.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:03 pm
BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 am

I miss moving.
You’re a monster.

Oh, another good threadjack: Worst place to be trapped with a screaming baby!

Airplane is up there, as you really have no place to go.

(Also brings up the MASH scene where they are on the bus... The one with Hawkeye in the psych ward where he keeps saying it's a chicken making all the fuss while the N. Koreans are searching the area. That episode FUCKED ME UP as a kid.)
Airplane, restaurant, movie theatre, waiting room, IN THE DENTISTS CHAIR

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think any kind of local public transportation is the worst because of the knowledge you could end it by leaving, but you also won't just leave because then your trip will take longer. And you'd know it could be over at any second if they left at the next stop, so when they don't, its additive. There's something about being trapped in an airplane that avoids the internal struggle which only compounds the pain.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 pm I think any kind of local public transportation is the worst because of the knowledge you could end it by leaving, but you also won't just leave because then your trip will take longer. And you'd know it could be over at any second if they left at the next stop, so when they don't, its additive. There's something about being trapped in an airplane that avoids the internal struggle which only compounds the pain.
I used to hate it on a plane when I was single. But then later, my daughter was three years old and it was HER that was crying. I was so embarrassed and so grateful for the kindness of a few others. Now, it doesn't bother me at all, because I feel nostalgic and grateful for kind people.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also on planes, unless they are really close, if you have noise canceling headphones... It's already pretty loud with the white noise of the flight...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.