The OFFICIAL Irony thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Irony thread

Post by Johnnie »

Everything Roger Goodell has done under the guise of "protecting the shield."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Everything Roger Goodell has done under the guise of "protecting the shield."
I'd vote yes on this one.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Committed to staying sober and supporting others, Reed Hindle, 61, was on his way to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting when police said he was struck and killed by David Berry, who was allegedly drinking a beer while behind the wheel of his pickup truck in Somersworth.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nope. With the amount of people who get killed by drunk drivers every year, it stands to reason that some of them are going to be recovered alcoholics.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jerloma wrote:Nope. With the amount of people who get killed by drunk drivers every year, it stands to reason that some of them are going to be recovered alcoholics.
On the way to an AA meeting?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At this point, can we just accept that Jerloma doesn't believe anything is ironic (or at best has such an intractable definition of it that literally nothing actually possible would qualify) and move on.

In retrospect, Alanis Morrisette was probably the worst thing to ever happen to irony.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Giff wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Nope. With the amount of people who get killed by drunk drivers every year, it stands to reason that some of them are going to be recovered alcoholics.
Well you got about 10,000 DD fatalities per year and about a million people in AA. It may not stand to reason but it's not at all the opposite of what you'd expect.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
Giff wrote:
Well you got about 10,000 DD fatalities per year and about a million people in AA. It may not stand to reason but it's not at all the opposite of what you'd expect.
If we are going down that path, are you going to take the old standard police department getting robbed, and argue that in City X, 10,000 robberies occurred last year, and there are 10 police stations, so mathematically a police station is bound to be robbed eventually.

I don't view irony as a mathematical calculation, but sort of am immediate gut reaction "never would have seen that coming" of sorts. Deep analysis kills the spirit of irony.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Maybe if the dude was on his way to the driver's house because he knew he was having problems?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:
Giff wrote:
It's like 10,000 deaths, when all you need is a ...?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Giff wrote:
If we are going down that path, are you going to take the old standard police department getting robbed, and argue that in City X, 10,000 robberies occurred last year, and there are 10 police stations, so mathematically a police station is bound to be robbed eventually.

I don't view irony as a mathematical calculation, but sort of am immediate gut reaction "never would have seen that coming" of sorts. Deep analysis kills the spirit of irony.
Sorry man. Words mean things.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But every building doesn't stand an equal chance of being robbed. I'm with J-Lo on this, not ironic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jeez, I just meant that it's supposed to be anonymous and now we all know his name ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ooohhhh ...

That is good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Maybe if the dude was on his way to the driver's house because he knew he was having problems?
Wouldn't that make it less ironic?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Maybe if the dude was on his way to the driver's house because he knew he was having problems?
Wouldn't that make it less ironic?
Maybe, I don't know. I just figured in my example the intent of him going to meet the other guy had the opposite outcome than which was intended.

There's always that 2nd layer when it comes to irony that seems to be the sticking point. Sure, any dude can get hit by a drunk driver. So, you gotta think, what would make the situation ironic to get to that point?

I always go back to the Family Guy example: Lighting stress relief candles to relieve stress...and they end up burning down your house. How do you make the scenario that simple.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've been in the Seattle area for about two weeks now. On the two weekends, I've driven around quite a bit, checking out the areas and a few houses. I've been listening to a number of the very good local stations. In all of that time, among the hundreds of songs, I've only heard two Nirvana songs.
Totally Kafkaesque
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Gonna have to go y
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

In this day and age, when it is so commonplace, hypocrisy has a high bar to clear to be ironic. Especially hypocrisy on the part of an elite.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

But but but...is there a fitness requirement for being Governor?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"The first day I happen to drive my kid to school is National Walk to School Day" Yay or nay?

Heard this by a SiriusXM DJ this morning "what's ironic about the South Carolina floods is that it wasn't caused by Joaquin, but by a separate weather system". I mean, not even fucking close, right?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:I've been in the Seattle area for about two weeks now. On the two weekends, I've driven around quite a bit, checking out the areas and a few houses. I've been listening to a number of the very good local stations. In all of that time, among the hundreds of songs, I've only heard two Nirvana songs.
You do know that "Nevermind" came out 24 years ago, right?

And there's only one radio station to listen to out here...the mighty KEXP!!! (did you survive the recent pledge drive?). I only have that and the NPR station as presets in my car.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

KEXP whenever you're listening to the radio then we can all talk about the same bands yay!!!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Shirley wrote:I've been in the Seattle area for about two weeks now. On the two weekends, I've driven around quite a bit, checking out the areas and a few houses. I've been listening to a number of the very good local stations. In all of that time, among the hundreds of songs, I've only heard two Nirvana songs.

And there's only one radio station to listen to out here...the mighty KEXP!!! (did you survive the recent pledge drive?). I only have that and the NPR station as presets in my car.
Yeah, I have NPR and KEXP as my first two (of 6). I couldn't tell you the stations, but all of them are pretty good. I'm pretty sure one is a classic rock station. I hear quite a bit of Pearl Jam (especially), Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, just not much Nirvana. I wouldn't say the grunge mix is any heavier than here in NC (I'm in NC right now), but it's not much lighter either. Like any quirky station that tries to cover a lot of styles, KEXP has times where it plays some mediocre music (to my tastes).
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Waaayyyy late to this...

First, that picture is irritating because the civilian is saluting but the general isn't. I need context.

Second, everyone in the military has a physical training program dependent upon what their service deems. It describes in meticulous detail all of the movements and form.

Third, the Air Force is the only service with an "abdominal circumference" portion whereby you measure at the top of the "iliac crest" of the hip bone around the stomach. If you measure over 39", you auto fail and are immediately placed in the system to attend mandatory physical training and are then in charge of getting your eating habits right.

Last, the Air National Guard (and the Reserves) always have the most out of shape people. They are civilian for most of the month and then military one weekend of it. They don't deal with the likely squadron pt we active folks have. I've always called them the "civilitary" because of their situation.

Soooo...It's no wonder the guy is large. It's just coincidence that his "president" is also just as big, but he doesn't need to be held to a high image standard. To anyone looking at this it's very hypocritical. As for the irony, whereby the opposite expectation is at least a small barometer to gauge the situation, kind of?

(Though my perspective of the rules makes me look at it from what I've already mentioned. The general is bound to a rule that's enforced by a governor and the Air Force. The governor could look any way he wants. It doesn't get to irony for me unless other rules and circumstances existed.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:KEXP has times where it plays some mediocre music (to my tastes).
Definitely. I despise some of the more electronica-ish stuff they'll put on sometimes.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just going to post a piece where Khloe Kardashian was upset at a "publicity seeking" brothel owner.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This could be the official 'death of irony'.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:
Just going to post a piece where Khloe Kardashian was upset at a "publicity seeking" brothel owner.
Is it racism to say "pot calling the kettle black" if she's only half-black?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Yeah, I have NPR and KEXP as my first two (of 6). I couldn't tell you the stations, but all of them are pretty good. I'm pretty sure one is a classic rock station. I hear quite a bit of Pearl Jam (especially), Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, just not much Nirvana. I wouldn't say the grunge mix is any heavier than here in NC (I'm in NC right now), but it's not much lighter either. Like any quirky station that tries to cover a lot of styles, KEXP has times where it plays some mediocre music (to my tastes).
KEXP can certainly be hit or miss. I love John in the Morning (and am acquaintances with him), am lukewarm on Cheryl's mid-day show, and am not a fan of Kevin Cole (although I enjoy the mix he usually plays, something about his voice drives me crazy). The evening shows are very hit or miss...never listen to monday or tuesday nights, but wednesday night (The Roadhouse) is great, and Thursday/Friday (Swinging Doors and Shake the Shack) are so-so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No shit that you know him? His show is the only one I know I'll like and he's probably singlehandedly the reason I care about the station. Either an incredibly genuine guy or someone who does a great job of seeming like one and I don't want to know otherwise.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Canada's Conservatives ran a terrible campaign that alienated huge segments of the populace and they were voted out of office.

Stephen Harper as their leader always demanded that members of the party keep their complaints to themselves as they presented a unified face to the world.

So, post-election, Harper resigns as leader and suddenly, members of the conservative caucus are opening up and complaining to the media about the way the election was handled.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e26945334/

One of Harper's key lieutenants is not pleased by this public airing of grievances. So he has declared that all complaints and criticisms should remain private. And he made this demand on twitter.
On Twitter on Wednesday, Guy Giorno, a former chief of staff to Mr. Harper, and 2015 national campaign chair, admonished those who would take their concerns to media.

“Any views on why we fell short, I owe it to my party to share with [the] party and national council instead of the media and public,” Mr. Giorno wrote.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The fat National Guard General passed his pt test.

But the rumblings on Reddit are he showed up in incorrect pt gear, failed the waist measurement, but it invalidated his test to where he neither passed nor failed because of the pt gear.

We'll see, but I hope for the worst in this scenario. I doubt that General got in shape fast enough to actually pass the test, but who knows.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:No shit that you know him? His show is the only one I know I'll like and he's probably singlehandedly the reason I care about the station. Either an incredibly genuine guy or someone who does a great job of seeming like one and I don't want to know otherwise.
Missed this earlier...but yeah, kind of acquaintances. When I had my bad accident 4 years ago, I sent him a lot of requests (including the morning after my surgery while completely loopy on morphine), and he almost always played them, and would always send me an email back asking how I was feeling. After I got off my crutches, I took my kids to the KEXP father's day dance party, and went up and introduced myself. We stood there and talked for about 30 minutes, and ever since then I always go up and say hello when I'm at an event. One time my GF and I were at an event, and he was there and I pointed him out and dragged my GF over and introduced them, and they chatted for a long time. He really is a genuinely nice guy, who really cares about the Station and the community that has built up around it.

And he still plays my requests (usually), although I try not to abuse that. A couple of weeks ago he did play my request for Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" for my GF's birthday, and made sure to play it at a time when she would hear it as she was driving to work.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

h/t Joeyclams on Twitter
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Missed this earlier...but yeah, kind of acquaintances. When I had my bad accident 4 years ago, I sent him a lot of requests (including the morning after my surgery while completely loopy on morphine), and he almost always played them, and would always send me an email back asking how I was feeling. After I got off my crutches, I took my kids to the KEXP father's day dance party, and went up and introduced myself. We stood there and talked for about 30 minutes, and ever since then I always go up and say hello when I'm at an event. One time my GF and I were at an event, and he was there and I pointed him out and dragged my GF over and introduced them, and they chatted for a long time. He really is a genuinely nice guy, who really cares about the Station and the community that has built up around it.

And he still plays my requests (usually), although I try not to abuse that. A couple of weeks ago he did play my request for Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" for my GF's birthday, and made sure to play it at a time when she would hear it as she was driving to work.
And I missed this. The bolded makes me happy; I've wanted to believe that for a while.