The Singularity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Singularity

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, just this past Monday up in Sonoma, we were on the ramp to the highway, just starting to accelerate up to highway speed, and some old dude starts pushing his shopping cart full of aluminum cans across the road in front of us. Thank goodness I saw him well in advance and braked, or it could have been bad. I still kind of shudder thinking of it. And the guy was just appeared oblivious to the risk.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A car hitting a shopping cart full of cans would be a pretty awesome visual though...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'd still vote for Norman over Trump.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

What could possibly go wrong?

Probably 20 screenwriters trying to get pitch meetings regarding story ideas about this.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm guessing the author of that piece didn't really understand what happened there, or that experiment was dumb. If you train an AI bot with only captions from violent pictures, is it really noteworthy or interesting that it only gives violent answers to future queries? That's literally the only language it knows. That hardly makes it a psychopath.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"psychopath"
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

OK, this new thing on Android (and other?) phones where it suggests auto-responses to texts you receive is creeping me the fuck out. It's bad enough that you know it's keeping a record of everything, but actually understanding is taking it to another level...
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Bought daughter an Echo Dot for her dorm. Set it up Friday. Pretty cool, but I was a little on the fence about the whole always listening thing. SO of course the second one for the house arrived yesterday.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:54 am Bought daughter an Echo Dot for her dorm. Set it up Friday. Pretty cool, but I was a little on the fence about the whole always listening thing. SO of course the second one for the house arrived yesterday.
FYI, check the school's IT policy. Dot was not allowed. Any connected device has to have a screen and input device of some sort.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:33 am
A_B wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:54 am Bought daughter an Echo Dot for her dorm. Set it up Friday. Pretty cool, but I was a little on the fence about the whole always listening thing. SO of course the second one for the house arrived yesterday.
FYI, check the school's IT policy. Dot was not allowed. Any connected device has to have a screen and input device of some sort.
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for the policy?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:51 am
I'm not sure. They weren't clear on that, but I imagine it has something to do with setting up servers or something that would suck bandwitch off the wireless. I'm sure it depends on the school.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:51 am
Security/integrity of the school's network is possible as well. School has to take responsibility for all devices connecting to their network which is hard enough with phones, computers, tablets, etc. so they likely don't want to take on the potential for non-"computer" devices that could be hacked and used to gain entry to network.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just looked and it’s all those streaming devices. So it’s probably a combination of what Brian said and just sheer load on the bandwidth.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:01 am I just looked and it’s all those streaming devices. So it’s probably a combination of what Brian said and just sheer load on the bandwidth.
I didn't even think of stuff like the Amazon Prime stick or Roku, etc. but yeah that stuff could definitely soak up an insane amount of bandwidth. I'd imagine a lot of those are being used despite not being allowed. We weren't allowed to have microwaves either, but half of the rooms had them.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:09 am
A_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:01 am I just looked and it’s all those streaming devices. So it’s probably a combination of what Brian said and just sheer load on the bandwidth.
I didn't even think of stuff like the Amazon Prime stick or Roku, etc. but yeah that stuff could definitely soak up an insane amount of bandwidth. I'd imagine a lot of those are being used despite not being allowed. We weren't allowed to have microwaves either, but half of the rooms had them.
The dot would not connect to the network at all, so I think they've figured out how to block most devices/people. I'm sure there are those techy people who can figure it out, but it wasn't worth us figuring it out so now our youngest has one in her room at home which we use as an intercom and she uses it for music.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:20 am fiction
Jesus, that was heartbreaking. Very clever and original. But heartbreaking.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

World's first AI news anchor unveiled in China

According to Xinhua, the AI technology is not limited to news presenting. The systems can be customised to different clients in other industries. Wang Xiaochuan, the head of Sogou, gave the example of a popular book reading app, Uncle Kai. “In the future, it could be your parents telling the story,” he said in an interview.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well looks like Toyota is coming after Steph Curry
https://www.businessinsider.com/basketb ... e-3-2019-4
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:13 pm OK, this new thing on Android (and other?) phones where it suggests auto-responses to texts you receive is creeping me the fuck out. It's bad enough that you know it's keeping a record of everything, but actually understanding is taking it to another level...
not really. look at it like this...it doesnt understand, per se. think of it as a massive database of if-then statements. predictive text basically says If user inputs the letter B, then return data for the word "Bitch". All predictive response is doing is changing the input from you to whoever messaged you. its just able to learn from all your messages so it has a bigger database to work from. it learns from whether you accept its idea, so it learns over time which response has the best chance of you accepting it and does that.

TLDR
phone a.i. is a white republican...all it cares about is being right.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

By the way, and apologies if this has been covered or you all know this, but a few months ago we bought a 2016 Subaru, and its "adaptive cruise control" is unreal. Unlike standard cruise control, it senses when you are following another car, and automatically slows your car - and even stops it - to keep a safe distance behind the car you are following. It's a total trip to have the car stop itself when the car in front stops for a red light.

There is one potential flaw, though - if the car in front isn't moving, then the Subaru doesn't sense it. So if you aren't paying very good attention, you could plow right into it (though the Subaru also beeps if you approach an obstacle without braking).
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Facial recognition creeps up on a JetBlue passenger and she hates it

I hate reading this kind of stuff. I think it's high time I get off my duff and start planning my wilderness cabin so I can write my manifestos.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pmI hate reading this kind of stuff. I think it's high time I get off my duff and start planning my wilderness cabin so I can write my manifestos.
WTF did I do to you for such slanderous use of my name, bird brain?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm By the way, and apologies if this has been covered or you all know this, but a few months ago we bought a 2016 Subaru, and its "adaptive cruise control" is unreal. Unlike standard cruise control, it senses when you are following another car, and automatically slows your car - and even stops it - to keep a safe distance behind the car you are following. It's a total trip to have the car stop itself when the car in front stops for a red light.

There is one potential flaw, though - if the car in front isn't moving, then the Subaru doesn't sense it. So if you aren't paying very good attention, you could plow right into it (though the Subaru also beeps if you approach an obstacle without braking).
New Hondas have this, along with lane assist, that steers to keep you in the center of your lane. If you put on both lane assist and cruise control, you have a self driving car so long as you are on a highway and don't want to change lanes. Salesman had me try this, and it's unnerving. He had me take my hands and feet off on the highway, and while it works great, I never use the lane assist (it still has a lane departure warning, and the wheel stiffens and pulls you back if you start to cross lanes without a turn signal) and rarely use cruise control, but it can be done.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sabo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pm Facial recognition creeps up on a JetBlue passenger and she hates it

I hate reading this kind of stuff. I think it's high time I get off my duff and start planning my wilderness cabin so I can write my manifestos.
I wish that article had gone a bit deeper. It asked the right questions - how did the recognition work so quickly if the data is only on gov computers, not the airline's - but then didn't answer them. HOW does the facial recognition work?

I completely agree with the concern that private companies can access government identity databases to do biometric matching just to make lines a bit faster. One of the privacy policies with phones - and I think most people don't realize this - is that your biometric data (fingerprint or face) never leaves the phone. It's matched locally and then used to allow you access to log in. That's why you have to redo it when you get a new phone or reset your existing one. Apple never has that data, and I don't think they want it (because of the liability involved). So, if private companies like Apple and Samsung understand that you don't store and match biometric data on the server side, why does the federal government not get that? It's worrisome.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

AI Invented Sport
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... 4088acd7e9

Yes to exploding frisbees
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:33 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm By the way, and apologies if this has been covered or you all know this, but a few months ago we bought a 2016 Subaru, and its "adaptive cruise control" is unreal. Unlike standard cruise control, it senses when you are following another car, and automatically slows your car - and even stops it - to keep a safe distance behind the car you are following. It's a total trip to have the car stop itself when the car in front stops for a red light.

New Hondas have this, along with lane assist, that steers to keep you in the center of your lane. If you put on both lane assist and cruise control, you have a self driving car so long as you are on a highway and don't want to change lanes. Salesman had me try this, and it's unnerving. He had me take my hands and feet off on the highway, and while it works great, I never use the lane assist (it still has a lane departure warning, and the wheel stiffens and pulls you back if you start to cross lanes without a turn signal) and rarely use cruise control, but it can be done.
My Subaru has that also, but it's not supposed to work if you take your hands of the wheel. I don't do that much freeway driving so haven't had a chance to test that.

(I just can't help thinking that if my previous Outback, a 2010, had all those features, then I wouldn't have the new car. I totaled the 2010 driving in Colorado taking my son home for winter break.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My brother in laws infiniti we took to Boston last fall has that. And it’s like a 2012.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm My brother in laws infiniti we took to Boston last fall has that. And it’s like a 2012.
Yeah, I realize I am way behind the times on all this. Until a couple of months ago, our newest car was a 2013. It didn't have anything fancy except a backup camera - and even that didn't have the cool Top Gun lines showing where you were going.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:48 am
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm My brother in laws infiniti we took to Boston last fall has that. And it’s like a 2012.
Yeah, I realize I am way behind the times on all this. Until a couple of months ago, our newest car was a 2013. It didn't have anything fancy except a backup camera - and even that didn't have the cool Top Gun lines showing where you were going.
It's just A_B being his usual hipster self.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

We got into our rental last year at midnight in Phoenix and it took me a good 90 seconds to figure out how to start the car with the button.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 am We got into our rental last year at midnight in Phoenix and it took me a good 90 seconds to figure out how to start the car with the button.
I like those, except the other morning when I was backing out of the driveway, went to put it in drive after reversing, and shut the damn car off instead.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I just discovered the automatic hi-beams. It detects other cars and turns they down. When the car passes it turns them back up.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:52 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:48 am
It's just A_B being his usual hipster self.
To be fair, I actually hated the feature and didn't use it. It had regular cruise control as well.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

testuser2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 pm I just discovered the automatic hi-beams. It detects other cars and turns they down. When the car passes it turns them back up.
The first car I "owned" (handed down to me) had that feature. I would imagine it was very maddening to the drivers of oncoming cars on curvy roads without street lights at night. Start curve away, lights go bright, start curve back, lights go back to regular... about a second after you're driving at the oncoming car.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'd like that for my job, please.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Does anyone have one of these at their grocery store? I was trying to get some coffee filters off the bottom shelf and that damn robot kept blocking me. When I would get close it would stop moving and then I couldn't reach around it. Had to wait for the thing to move on. It was like a retiree with a short cart. Moved slow and got in the way.