The Singularity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: The Singularity

Post by Pruitt »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 pm Does anyone have one of these at their grocery store? I was trying to get some coffee filters off the bottom shelf and that damn robot kept blocking me. When I would get close it would stop moving and then I couldn't reach around it. Had to wait for the thing to move on. It was like a retiree with a short cart. Moved slow and got in the way.
Hmmm... my bullshit detector went off while reading that:
“Marty does not replace our associates – instead, he allows members of our team to spend more time engaging with and assisting customers,” said Ashley Flower, spokeswoman.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 pm
testuser2 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 pm Does anyone have one of these at their grocery store? I was trying to get some coffee filters off the bottom shelf and that damn robot kept blocking me. When I would get close it would stop moving and then I couldn't reach around it. Had to wait for the thing to move on. It was like a retiree with a short cart. Moved slow and got in the way.
Hmmm... my bullshit detector went off while reading that:
“Marty does not replace our associates – instead, he allows members of our team to spend more time engaging with and assisting customers,” said Ashley Flower, spokeswoman.
Good lord that's horrible. I think if i ran into those, I'd go Ned Ludd on it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In the tragic ending to this multi-thread crossover, TT is forced to sacrifice his sobriety to save us all.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... Yl2esgWG1M

We are so fucked
What do you suppose is his tell?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Self-Driving Uber in Crash Wasn’t Programmed to Spot Jaywalkers

There was a lot of victim-blaming (even in this thread) when this first happened, but that seems to be a pretty reckless oversight on Uber's part. Maybe even more reckless than walking your bike across the street and assuming an oncoming car will stop for you.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:43 am Self-Driving Uber in Crash Wasn’t Programmed to Spot Jaywalkers

There was a lot of victim-blaming (even in this thread) when this first happened, but that seems to be a pretty reckless oversight on Uber's part. Maybe even more reckless than walking your bike across the street and assuming an oncoming car will stop for you.
Wonder how much of that finding understands how these are now programmed. There is a great talk on how Tesla programs its auto pilot. And it really is not programming like you may have learned (i.e. If you see a person in the street don't hit him, else keep going forward). These algorithms are using machine learning that cover things like based on every time something like all of these inputs have happened we generally see the car should do the following.

There is a great video that explains this where they just show the issue of trying to teach sensors the road markings or when to clean a windhsield (an example they used was how the whippers work well for rain but failed when hit with a bowl of spaghetti).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

She installed a Ring camera in her children’s room for ‘peace of mind.’ A hacker accessed it and harassed her 8-year-old daughter.

As a parent whose kids were once 8, I see no need to have anyone but an infant or toddler on constant surveillance.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think it would be cool if they found out the person who did it and everyone affected got to beat the shit out of them for an hour or so.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sabo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:51 pm Don't forget to patch your lightbulbs.
And the reality is that it's very difficult or even impossible to patch many IoT devices. It's gonna be a problem.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm
And the reality is that it's very difficult or even impossible to patch many IoT devices. It's gonna be a problem.
I have a Bluetooth speaker connected to my TV, and it's affected by the BlueBorne vulnerability. I know of no way to patch that, either. I wonder how many cars are affected by that vulnerability and if there are any means to patch them. Probably not.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:25 pm
I have a Bluetooth speaker connected to my TV, and it's affected by the BlueBorne vulnerability. I know of no way to patch that, either. I wonder how many cars are affected by that vulnerability and if there are any means to patch them. Probably not.
I'm curious what the "vulnerability" is for something like that. What is the consequence of the bluetooth or the light controls being compromised? Relatedly, what is the incentive for someone to fuck with those things - a home invasion?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:54 pm
I'm curious what the "vulnerability" is for something like that. What is the consequence of the bluetooth or the light controls being compromised? Relatedly, what is the incentive for someone to fuck with those things - a home invasion?
The vulnerabilities essentially serve as a gateway to your network. Once someone has access to the network, they can scan the network for connected devices and then attack any systems connected to it. Using my Bluetooth speaker as an example, if it were compromised and I connected my phone to the speaker via Bluetooth, my phone could be compromised, too. And if it were compromised, the attackers could access the data on my phone (and my local network if my phone was connected via WiFi at the same time).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:54 pm
The vulnerabilities essentially serve as a gateway to your network. Once someone has access to the network, they can scan the network for connected devices and then attack any systems connected to it. Using my Bluetooth speaker as an example, if it were compromised and I connected my phone to the speaker via Bluetooth, my phone could be compromised, too. And if it were compromised, the attackers could access the data on my phone (and my local network if my phone was connected via WiFi at the same time).
Ah. Yeah, I guess that's a problem.

Luckily I have very little connectedness in my house.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Have we talked about the mysterious drone swarms flying around the west?
Sheriff’s deputies are responding and seeing the drones as well. They reported seeing a “mothership” 6’ in diameter flanked by 10 smaller drones (some fixed wing, some not). When deputies follow the drones, they clock them at speeds of 60-70 mph. The drones also appear to be dropping or picking up things that look like “potatoes” [Redacted]

The FBI in Colorado and the Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) in Omaha are currently looking into the sightings. Perkins County Sherriff’s Office has three of the potatoes frozen in storage and will likely transfer them to the FBI for analysis. The FAA is sending an agent to Colorado this upcoming weekend to help investigate and handle the news coverage.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This new AI chatbot that dropped today is mind-boggling.

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

With its success rate in animals and the willingness of a certain segment of society to potentially volunteer for this duty, it could be a net plus.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:43 pm This new AI chatbot that dropped today is mind-boggling.

How do I use this shit?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just click on the URL in that first tweet. https://chat.openai.com/chat

I think you have to create an account, but it's free. You can just use your Google account. Then start asking questions. Ask it to write a short adventure story starring your kids. Sing about your favorite team to the tune of a favorite song. It's fucking incredible.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Write a sonnet about the New York Mets

The Mets are a team that's never quite been great
But they're the team that I've loved since I was eight
They play their home games in a ballpark by the sea
And every summer I go there to root, root, root

For the home team, though they seldom win
I'm still a fan, it's where I begin
The Mets have had their share of heartbreak and pain
But I still root for them, come sunshine or rain

I've seen the highs and lows of this team
But I still cheer, I'm part of the dream
The Mets are my team, no matter what
Through thick and thin, I'm here to stay, I won't cut

So here's to the Mets, through good times and bad
My team, my heart, my favorite squad
I'll always cheer for them, no matter the score
My loyalty is forever, I'll always be a Mets fan for sure.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

What I’m impressed with the most is that it knew that “score” rhymes with “sure”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

0DAA5178-51C8-4B5E-8D62-C86CF652EFD7.jpeg
0DAA5178-51C8-4B5E-8D62-C86CF652EFD7.jpeg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is amazing. When I’m not writing to or about Touchdown Tom, I’ve been asking it for boilerplate contract clauses, and they are excellent. Also, I’m glad i have saved up for early retirement if needed.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Decided to give it a shot for my little guy:

Majestic Maine Coons, with fur so plush and thick,
Their tales so long, their paws so large and grand,
They prowl the house with grace and stealthy flick,
A noble feline, a regal feline band.

Their eyes of gold, their ears of pointed hue,
Their purrs so loud, their meows so soft and sweet,
They are a joy to have, a comfort too,
A loyal friend, a constant, loving pet.

But watch out when they play, with claws unsheathed,
Their strength and speed, a sight to see and fear,
For they are hunters, born and bred,
And nothing escapes their watchful, perked-up ear.

Maine Coons, the gentle giants of the cat world,
A treasure to own, a blessing to behold.

I like that they made "unsheathed" rhyme with "bred" if you do it all Shakesperean and shit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This is why I'm not worried. Just put this little guy in charge, and we're golden.

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Any of you guys who are good with AI stuff know if there's an accessible/affordable way to create a version of a song with the lyrics changed that sounds like the original singer is performing it? Thinking of a farewell present for someone at work.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 am Any of you guys who are good with AI stuff know if there's an accessible/affordable way to create a version of a song with the lyrics changed that sounds like the original singer is performing it? Thinking of a farewell present for someone at work.
There are obviously tools that do this, because we've seen the videos. I'm not sure which tools they are though.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 am Any of you guys who are good with AI stuff know if there's an accessible/affordable way to create a version of a song with the lyrics changed that sounds like the original singer is performing it? Thinking of a farewell present for someone at work.
I would call Weird Al, I don't think he is busy these days.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt