The Singularity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

billy22g
Jackie Treehorn

Re: The Singularity

Post by billy22g »

Not sure if it belongs here or if there's an "OMG THE ROBOTS ARE TAKING ALL OUR JOBS" thread, but either way, thought this was an interesting read:
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

As much as I get bombarded every day with #content on the internet to the point of being desensitized to it, every now and then I see a headline that legitimately gives me pause:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/13/death-of ... mates.html
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I legit forget what this thread is about every single time I click after its been gone a month.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, that's pretty fascinating. I'm intrigued by the negotiating bots as well. I could use something like that. I suck at negotiation.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Can setup Sirius/XM as a skill with Echo now (if you have a S/XM subscription obvs) and play S/XM channels through Echo.

Yacht Rock with voice commands 24/7/365 now bitches!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i missed the first goround on the driverless cars but allow me to register that on the side of "im never getting that shit". my main issue is that letting your car drive requires both addresses and a knowledge of where you want to go, and most times i dont know either. if i need to go get food but dont know exactly what i want, its hard to tell the car...just drive until i end up abandoning this pursuit and getting taco bell again. i also dont want to type my dealers address into a gps for it to record.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

When it comes to driverless cars, no matter how many angles you think you've considered, there's always another angle you haven't:

Self-Driving Taxis Could Have a Vomit Problem

Though I can now think of bodily fluids other than vomit that will need to be cleaned up.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Employees Voluntarily Get Microchip Implants

“Much to my surprise, when we had our initial meeting to ask if this was something we wanted to look at doing, it was an overwhelming majority of people that said yes,” Mr. Westby said, noting that he had expected more reluctance. “It exceeded my expectations. Friends, they want to be chipped. My whole family is being chipped — my two sons, my wife and myself.”

What the fuck is wrong with people?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

First driverless shuttle in American history hits the road in Las Vegas. Gets into a minor accident one hour later because of human error.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:First driverless shuttle in American history hits the road in Las Vegas. Gets into a minor accident one hour later because of human error.

Of course they're blaming humans. Robots don;t know the meaning of the word "humility."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Makes about as much sense as worshiping an invisible man who has never given us any proof of his existence.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

They're going to take our lucrative parkour jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4 ... e=youtu.be
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So this Google match your face to a work of art is just a way to allow them to record your features for facial scans.

Or am I paranoid?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm So this Google match your face to a work of art is just a way to allow them to record your features for facial scans.

Or am I paranoid?
No. And I'm amazed that people still fall for that shit (or just don't care).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Interesting footnote to history, being the first pedestrian killed by a self driving car,
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 am Interesting footnote to history, being the first pedestrian killed by a self driving car,
The outcry to this is so typical in this country. Millions of people are literally more upset about this than they are 17 people being ripped to shreds by gunfire a month ago (and thousands more dead in more picayune ways from gunfire since Parkland).

The best autonomous vehicle software in the world will never be able to prevent some dipshit stepping in front of a moving car.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 am Interesting footnote to history, being the first pedestrian killed by a self driving car,
The outcry to this is so typical in this country. Millions of people are literally more upset about this than they are 17 people being ripped to shreds by gunfire a month ago (and thousands more dead in more picayune ways from gunfire since Parkland).

The best autonomous vehicle software in the world will never be able to prevent some dipshit stepping in front of a moving car.
How many people were killed yesterday by human-driven cars? Around 100?

Hell, the freakout over the 17 killed at Parkland is also irrational compared to the dozens killed every day from routine gunfire.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

About 100 people per day in the US die in automobile accidents, yeah.

I get your point though and understand why it's a story. Just don't understand how some people can suggest that autonomous driving will never work as a result of one accident that it'll probably turn out could never have been avoided regardless of any safeguards you wanted to put up.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm reserving my "meh" or outraged response to this until I know more about the situation. Surely Uber's car has a hell of a lot of telemetry - video, lidar, etc. - to very accurately diagnose what happened. Granted, the public may never find out.

Obviously, I'm a huge proponent of autonomous cars, but I don't want them killing people. And I don't trust Uber.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think it's natural to be leary of self driving cars, and most people will jump to the conclusion that an accident or death could have been avoided by a human driver. The same thing happened when a Tesla was involved in a fatal accident while in self-driving mode. Ultimately, the driver of the other car ran a red light. I know it isn't rational, but right now I'd feel more comfortable getting into an Uber with a human driver than a self driving car, but I know human error is more likely than computer error, and human errors lead to fatalities on the road every day.

I don't remember the full details, but I recently read an article about certain human intuitions with driving that can't be replicated in self driving cars. If that leads to a fatality, people will emotionally find it less acceptable than a fatality human error caused that a computer would have prevented. Maybe it's status quo, we currently accept the risk of human error in drivers, but computer errors are a new risk. If self driving cars reduced total accidents but caused some accidents, a lot of people will freak out and try to stop it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 pm I think it's natural to be leary of self driving cars, and most people will jump to the conclusion that an accident or death could have been avoided by a human driver. The same thing happened when a Tesla was involved in a fatal accident while in self-driving mode. Ultimately, the driver of the other car ran a red light. I know it isn't rational, but right now I'd feel more comfortable getting into an Uber with a human driver than a self driving car, but I know human error is more likely than computer error, and human errors lead to fatalities on the road every day.

I don't remember the full details, but I recently read an article about certain human intuitions with driving that can't be replicated in self driving cars. If that leads to a fatality, people will emotionally find it less acceptable than a fatality human error caused that a computer would have prevented. Maybe it's status quo, we currently accept the risk of human error in drivers, but computer errors are a new risk. If self driving cars reduced total accidents but caused some accidents, a lot of people will freak out and try to stop it.
Well, the central biggest dilemma with self-driving cars that I don't know can ever be fixed is how you can program a computer to choose between two bad choices, one of which could cause harm to the person(s) in the car.

I think you were alluding to this and we've discussed it of course, but assume you're on a two lane highway with a car next to you and a cliff off to the right and someone steps into the road in front of the car. The car's options are to brake, which it won't have time for before it strikes and kills the person, drive into the car on your left and possibly hurt or kill the people in there (as well as yourself) or drive off the cliff, which of course will likely kill everyone in the car. Not that a human might be able to make that decision any better, but we're comfortable with the human decision making usually in those cases. Giving up that control is scary, but it will be worth it for the 999,999 other decisions that a computer can make more effectively and more quickly than the one worst-case scenario that will almost never happen.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pmObviously, I'm a huge proponent of autonomous cars, but I don't want them killing people. And I don't trust Uber.
I think this is where I am. Properly regulated, awesome. With the present skew of profit > public, far less so.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

People die in elevator accidents, and when you think about it the idea of letting a self-powered machine take you tens or hundreds of feet up in the air is nuts, but we still get in them every day without thinking about it.

Getting rid of human drivers, at least in cities, is absolutely well worth it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 pm People die in elevator accidents, and when you think about it the idea of letting a self-powered machine take you tens or hundreds of feet up in the air is nuts, but we still get in them every day without thinking about it.

Getting rid of human drivers, at least in cities, is absolutely well worth it.
Good point. But the key there is that elevators are highly regulated by the government. So get ready for that fight between libertarian blowhards and anyone trying to build sensible legislation covering autonomous vehicles.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right. And, for the most part, people don't really die in elevator accidents. People die in car accidents all the time so if autonomous cars are killing but profiting the right people, there will be some bullshit argument against improving or better regulating them.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think if we could snap our fingers are replace all human drivers with autonomous cars and trucks tomorrow, the traffic accident rate would absolutely plummet. Then, when you'd get the inevitable accidents, I think people would be much more accepting. But right now, most people have no idea how safe autonomous cars are, so they are suspicious. And of course, not all autonomous cars are the same. There are a ton of companies working on the problem, so some are surely much better than some others.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think so too, but I think the downside is under-regulated cars plowing through people and no pressure for the companies profiting to do anything about it. A very (very) large scale version of the "is it better to recall for $200MM or pay out $5MM per wrongful death" question, especially if there's no government lean to prosecute the deaths.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Well I think there will be speed limits, and restrictions as to where the cars can go, and inspection requirements—i.e., the same kinds of laws and regulations that exist now. As for cars having crappy technology, I’m sure there will be further regulations on that but I simply don’t think that manufacturers want to build something that will get them sued into oblivion. Insurance and private litigation will keep that in check. I can’t take the fear of “under-regulated” autonomous cars too seriously when every single day I see humans flying through red lights on busy city streets.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

OK, so she walked right out in front of the car at night. It may well be that she was easier to see than this camera implies, but either way, it seems pretty obvious to me that the pedestrian was at fault. It's much easier for her to see a car with headlights than the other way around.

I'm not saying she deserved to die for that, but what she did could have cost her life no matter who (or what) was driving that car.

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Having lived in Arizona, I can tell you that a majority of the roads are poorly lit. They also have very wide lanes. An accident like this doesn't surprise me.

I'd have to dig into the light pollution laws of The Valley to know more. I know that due to the observatory on Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, the city is a bit more dangerous to drive at night. I want to say it's the same a little farther north too.

I wonder if there's a setting in a self driving car to turn on high beams automatically at reduced light despite the weather?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, high beams probably would have helped, assuming they were appropriate on that road at that time (i.e. no cars coming the other way). At some point though, the pedestrian has to claim some responsibility. There's really no excuse to walk out in front of a car at night when you can see it coming from like a mile away. Apparently this woman was homeless, so it may we be that she was somewhat impaired.

From that video, it certainly looks like she was gonna get hit no matter who was driving that car.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:16 am Yeah, high beams probably would have helped, assuming they were appropriate on that road at that time (i.e. no cars coming the other way). At some point though, the pedestrian has to claim some responsibility. There's really no excuse to walk out in front of a car at night when you can see it coming from like a mile away. Apparently this woman was homeless, so it may we be that she was somewhat impaired.

From that video, it certainly looks like she was gonna get hit no matter who was driving that car.
This happens regularly near me with homeless/vagrant people having no regard for cars at all. It worries me driving down 38th St in Indy at night. You really have to keep your wits about you. It's not for lack of lighting or crosswalks, there are plenty of both. Some people just have no respect for cars or their own livelihoods.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rex wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:31 pmAs for cars having crappy technology, I’m sure there will be further regulations on that but I simply don’t think that manufacturers want to build something that will get them sued into oblivion. Insurance and private litigation will keep that in check.
In theory, yes, but there are plenty of industries now where their products result in death who are exempted from being sued into oblivion, right? Maybe my brain has been broken by this current administration, but I can very easily imagine how this campaign would go. "People were dying anyway" plus needing "to foster an environment that encourages job creators" plus paying lobbyists to fight to exempt manufacturers from lawsuits being a lot cheaper than paying for lawsuits ...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:26 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:16 am Yeah, high beams probably would have helped, assuming they were appropriate on that road at that time (i.e. no cars coming the other way). At some point though, the pedestrian has to claim some responsibility. There's really no excuse to walk out in front of a car at night when you can see it coming from like a mile away. Apparently this woman was homeless, so it may we be that she was somewhat impaired.

This happens regularly near me with homeless/vagrant people having no regard for cars at all. It worries me driving down 38th St in Indy at night. You really have to keep your wits about you. It's not for lack of lighting or crosswalks, there are plenty of both. Some people just have no respect for cars or their own livelihoods.
Exactly the same way in Las Vegas.