The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by Scottie »

No. It's because the murder victim was a White guy, plain and simple. Media can't, won't, exploit that.

A laughably, desperately, labelled "White Hispanic" kills 0bama's fantasy son? All you hear about for months. Wall to wall coverage. Meanwhile, at the same time, a Black woman abducts a 12-year old White kid, murders him with a welding torch and dumps his body in a trash bin. Media goes virtually silent on that; a capital murder case. Gee, I wonder why?
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The biggest reason is that in 1992, it was pretty rare for someone to capture footage of an unusual event on film. Today, every goddamn second of life is videotaped by cell phones or security cameras. We've all scene dozens of police brutality videos by now. That, and the guy being homeless makes him sub-human.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Scottie wrote:No. It's because the murder victim was a White guy, plain and simple. Media can't, won't, exploit that.

A laughably, desperately, labelled "White Hispanic" kills 0bama's fantasy son? All you hear about for months. Wall to wall coverage. Meanwhile, at the same time, a Black woman abducts a 12-year old White kid, murders him with a welding torch and dumps his body in a trash bin. Media goes virtually silent on that; a capital murder case. Gee, I wonder why?

Where was the attention for John Spooner?

There was certainly a racial element but at least part of the reason for the attention for Zimmerman was because people thought/assumed/whatever that he was getting away with just shooting somebody without being prosecuted.

I don't consider that a great comparison to any actual crime where the victim is arrested and charged right after the crime. A white guy shot a white guy in the theaters here (as was mentioned in another thread) and it's big news, but what else is there to say? "He should be arrested". "He was". "Cool".
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Gunpowder wrote:Where was the attention for John Spooner?
Ask the media party. And ask Lawrence Thornton: http://www.examiner.com/article/4-black ... ii-veteran" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I've never heard of this until now, or at least completely forgot about it.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11 ... music?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also read about the Knockout Game.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Are you suggesting that American media reports race crime, no matter the perp, in an equal and unbiased manner?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Scottie wrote:Are you suggesting that American media reports race crime, no matter the perp, in an equal and unbiased manner?

No but I'm suggesting that it's not always as simple as that. There are many instances of black kids getting shot by white people that don't make the news. George Zimmerman got a ton of attention because the race angle was that you could just shoot a black kid, claim self-defense and skate. That view was racially driven but that's why that case got blown up and why I don't expect every cut-and-dried murder case to get blown up to the same levels.

I don't think it's quite as simple as "the homeless guy is white, don't report it, case closed". Does every case of police brutality get media hype these days? I don't think they do.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I also think social media drove the Zimmerman case and the media latched on when it became a big story.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Howard, here's another "excessive force" case I learned about this past weekend in Key West:

http://thebluepaper.com/article/police- ... iving-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Gunpowder wrote:
Scottie wrote:Are you suggesting that American media reports race crime, no matter the perp, in an equal and unbiased manner?
No but I'm suggesting that it's not always as simple as that. There are many instances of black kids getting shot by white people that don't make the news. George Zimmerman got a ton of attention because the race angle was that you could just shoot a black kid, claim self-defense and skate. . . .
Yet you are saying it is as simple as that.

The White population is around 75%. Blacks are slightly less than 13% of the population and are 7.5 times more likely to murder a White person than vice versa. Blacks are 136 times more likely to commit robbery against a White person than vice versa. That is a demographic 1/6th in size responsible for 7.5 times the inter-racial murders. In a 50/50 population, that murder comparison becomes 50-to-1.

So, again, do you believe that American media, in an unbiased manner, reflects this?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Scottie wrote:The White population is around 75%. Blacks are slightly less than 13% of the population and are 7.5 times more likely to murder a White person than vice versa.
We Shall Overcome!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:
Scottie wrote:The White population is around 75%. Blacks are slightly less than 13% of the population and are 7.5 times more likely to murder a White person than vice versa.
We Shall Overcome!
If each black person would murder just 7.5 white folk a year...
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Scottie wrote:No. It's because the murder victim was a White guy, plain and simple. Media can't, won't, exploit that.

I dont think its that simple. There's a ton of missing black/brown kids who never get reported by the media, but a white kid goes missing and we get wall to wall coverage on 20 different channels.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Keg wrote:

I dont think its that simple. There's a ton of missing black/brown kids who never get reported by the media, but a white kid goes missing and we get wall to wall coverage on 20 different channels.
Weird. I thought all the black/brown kids on the milk cartons were the same one.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

The reason I think this is more of a police/media cover up is that this is at least the third case where cops have been cleared for brutality/excessive force in Orange County in the last three months. There were also two police shooting incidents during the whole Dorner ordeal last year that have been pretty much swept under the rug.

Trigger-Happy Anaheim Cop Kelly Phillips Cleared in Yet Another Shooting

OC DA Clears Anaheim Officer in 2012 Non-Fatal Shooting
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Murders committed by the police have become more racially balanced lately. So we got that going for us. I wish white people would catch on to the fact that the cops are much more likely to kill you and beat your ass down than ever before. Regardless of media distortion. But, heroes, security, yadda yadda.

Fuck the police.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Keg wrote:

Right. Particularly if it is a blonde female. Yes, there is "a ton of missing black/brown kids who never get reported by the media". That's part of the same problem, isn't it? One doesn't solve social problems by pretending they do not exist; denying reality exacerbates these problems.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Keg wrote:

Weird. I thought all the black/brown kids on the milk cartons were the same one.
They've been looking for this guy for years.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

They found his brother:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Scottie wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
No but I'm suggesting that it's not always as simple as that. There are many instances of black kids getting shot by white people that don't make the news. George Zimmerman got a ton of attention because the race angle was that you could just shoot a black kid, claim self-defense and skate. . . .

The White population is around 75%. Blacks are slightly less than 13% of the population and are 7.5 times more likely to murder a White person than vice versa. Blacks are 136 times more likely to commit robbery against a White person than vice versa. That is a demographic 1/6th in size responsible for 7.5 times the inter-racial murders. In a 50/50 population, that murder comparison becomes 50-to-1.

So, again, do you believe that American media, in an unbiased manner, reflects this?

I do not, and this was never really the question. I don't think it's nearly as bad as most people do, though.

How many capital murder cases are big media stories, period? Half of a half of a percent of them? If even?

You say the lack of widespread media coverage is simply because this guy is white; I disagree. I don't think that's me saying the media is unbiased.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And I would mostly rob white people, too. That's just smart robbery!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The most famous missing person ever is a white male, so stick all your conventions and your biases.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:They found his brother:

I was hoping they named him Clark after famous Chicagoan Griswold.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

AB_skin_test wrote:The most famous missing person ever is a white male, so stick all your conventions and your biases.
D.B Cooper just called. He's pissed he lost out to a toon.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

ZMan wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:The most famous missing person ever is a white male, so stick all your conventions and your biases.
I actually considered DB Cooper, but considering if he's out there sipping champagne, he probably doesn't want to be found.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

We've been through this already. Jesus isn't white.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

What's your source for those numbers? I'm confused, because you say two different things. "[blacks] are 7.5 times more likely to murder a White person than vice versa" is different than "responsible for 7.5 times the inter-racial murders," so I want to see where the numbers are coming from.

My google searches have been fruitless so far in finding actual data, instead of biased articles on one side or the other.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I found a PDF chock full of 2008 national crime statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics here - http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cvus08.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page 55 of that, they have a table showing race of both victim and offender for violent crimes (I can't tell if they are excluding murder or not).

From that table for white victims of "completed violence", the offender is:
white - 67.8%
black - 19.4%
other - 5.1%
unknown - 7.8%

For black victims, the offender is:
white - 14.5%
black - 66.5%
other - 7.1%
unknown - 11.9%

I don't see how you can get to Scottie's numbers from there. I guess there's some analysis you can make about black victims. The offenders for white victims are fairly close to national demographic averages. For black victims, however, it's much more likely to be a black offender than national demographics would indicate.

Of course, there are many other factors at play than just national racial demographics.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

But if you're just looking at percentages, if the amount of crimes committed by blacks is higher, then the percentage doesn't need to be for there to be 7.5x as many instances.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
ZMan wrote:
I actually considered DB Cooper, but considering if he's out there sipping champagne, he probably doesn't want to be found.
The most likely suspects for being DB Cooper are all dead. Interesting fact, the DB part of the name was made up by the FBI to weed out false reports and witnesses. The actual pseudonym was Dan Cooper. The name Dan Cooper was likely a tribute to a French-Canadian comic book featuring a Royal Canadian Air Force pilot by the same name.

Hmm...

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Talk about hiding in plain sight...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard
Karl Hungus

Mass Shooting Incidents

Post by howard »

This is exactly contrary to the quick wiki search I did a couple of years back. My starting point/assumed asymptote was roughly the year 2000; this data shows clearly the error of my way.

This is not necessarily proof (although it may be). Very interesting array of facts.

Mass Shootings Aren’t On the Rise

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That is very surprising.

I wonder if the data is different if you take out shooting committed as part of a crime - e.g. drug shootouts, robberies, etc. To me, those are very different crimes than the aggrieved employee or crazy school/street gunman.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I guess that there are a lot of school shootings that have fewer than four fatalities, yet make a mark on our awareness via the media. For example, the one in Seattle and the one in Portland last week. Both hit our heads; neither would be included in this particular study.

Just a guess.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

A Little Off Topic

Post by howard »

I couldn't find a thread that this fit neatly into. I picked this one, because this list of bullshit makes me feel like losing it.

We have tolerated so much, one small bit at a time, we are a nation of boiling frogs.

The Truth About Your Consent
It's funny how people will make excuses for their own actions and inactions, but won't admit the truth.

If you start pushing back on that your circle of friends begins to shrink -- and quite quickly at that.

But it's not because you're wrong -- it's because people are uncomfortable with reality, and you're refusing to put away the "real" card. You're removing the Facebook patina of perfection, of hedonism, of narcissism and self-delusion.

What am I talking about? The fact that each and every one of you reading this, along with myself, consent to all of the below list each and every day:

•Every single act of felony assault when a cop in Ferguson points a weapon at a peaceful protester and is not immediately arrested and charged with the crime of assault with a deadly weapon.
•Every single act of altering the timing of yellow lights to generate intentional bogus violations that cannot be evaded due to the laws of physics and, when you are entrapped by happenstance of your presence, you must pay not a legitimate fine for misbehavior but instead literally have funds extorted from you.
•The violations of your Fourth Amendment rights on the road, in the airport and on the sidewalk in NY, Texas, Florida, Tennessee and elsewhere.
•The refusal of our government to recognize your fundamental right to life, that is the right to self defense through the keeping and bearing of the only device known to man that is effective in that regard, everywhere and anywhere without permit, license or other constraint up until you actually commit a criminal act by misusing same.
•The bankster fraud games in Jefferson County Alabama that are still costing people doubled (or more) water and sewer bills and will forever into the future, featuring court-proved acts of bribery.
•The bankster fraud games on Wall Street (including selling securities they self-described internally as "vomit" to people just like you through their pension funds and elsewhere) that caused the housing bubble and subsequent collapse. Despite literal trillions of intentionally-bogus securities being sold and millions of Americans being dispossessed of their homes and personal wealth not one bankster went to prison for any of it.
•The bankster fraud games on Wall Street that are still going on with derivatives, high-frequency trading and more, all of which has the effect of counterfeiting the currency you carry and spend on a daily basis -- in effect committing what should be prosecuted as felony grand theft against you and counterfeiting against the nation each and every day.
•Hospitals billing people $10,000 for a $100 test without disclosing the price before the test is given, in many cases because the patient is unconscious and thus can't give meaningful consent, then suing to collect a ridiculously bogus charge.
•Hospitals billing a woman $60,000 for two $100 vials of scorpion anti-venom while preventing you from getting that anti-venom from anywhere else through threat of criminal penalty.
•Being forced to buy an "insurance" product (Obamacare) that isn't actually insurance under threat of government force and confiscation of your funds (theft again.)
•Being sold ownership in property that you never actually own as you must rent it forever from the local and state government, and despite this fraud entire industries continue to use the word "sell."
•Having your constitutionally-guaranteed freedom to travel trampled by demands that you be "licensed" to simply move your person and personal property by the ordinary means of the day.
•Having your 4th Amendment right to be left alone trampled by a government agency that lied directly to Congress about what they were doing, falsified the justification for same (that it "caught terrorists" when in fact it actually caught none), got caught in both lies (which is a criminal offense, incidentally) and yet nobody went to prison nor has the program been stopped and the data collected under said false pretense been purged.
•Having 3-4% of your purchasing power stolen each and every year on a compounded basis on average -- sometimes more, some less, but never, not even once since 1980, has it not happened for as little as three consecutive months.
•Ridiculous bloat in the public schools you fund such that half or more of the money spent, and thus a huge chunk of your property taxes (which you pay either in rent or directly if you "own") is literally stolen from you and given to people who perform no necessary service. In other words, you willingly allow yourself to be robbed each and every year.
•Ridiculous bloat in Universities such that your children get robbed again to the tune of 3, 4, 5 even 10x what it should cost to obtain a "post-secondary" education.
•Injury upon injury is also heaped upon your (adult) children, in concert with the previous point, through the inability to discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy, declaring by statute that this "obligation" has literally the same status as child support before the law.
•A Federal Government structure that, in concert with the above and more, literally steals about 2/3rds of the funds that flow into it via taxes and doles them out as patronage. In other words you have 2/3rds of any taxes you pay being not put to the use claimed but instead are stolen, and all of this is done only because the government implies the threat of using guns against you if you refuse to pay - an act that by any reasonable measure is a felony committed against every one of you.

Need I go on? I could literally write a book on the outrages, frauds and thefts you suffer on a daily basis. Hell, I have -- I've written close to 8,500 such examinations and instances since 2007. Through all of this and more over the last decade you've seen your cost of living go up dramatically while the median family income has not improved at all. Not only has the technological advancement of the last 10 years, which should have resulted in you obtaining more purchasing power been stolen the theft didn't stop there; it is in fact even greater!
There is a little bit more. I never would have imagined that America could fall this far, with so little resistance from the people.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

If this, under a Democrat in the statehouse and a Democrat in the White House, won't engender a pronounced response and defense of the 1st amendment and the bill of rights in general, then we can perhaps stop referring to those documents as having any meaning in our lives.

Seems to me the only amendment that gets applied is the 2nd. The others are apparently just suggestions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Another poor sod who lost it.

'Why They Hate Us': A Rant Against U.S. Before Attack on Chicago Air Traffic Hub

Workplace violence + striking out at the government. These sporadic incidents continue to be infrequent, telling of the pressure that causes individuals to snap, not as a prelude to revolution (sadly). Time ain't right, conditions ain't right, targets ain't right. This one to me is reminiscent of the dude who flew his plane into an IRS office a few years back. But, a few dogs bark, and the caravan moves on.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

And that is on the good side of the Passaic River.

As I often ponder with shit like this, I wonder what antidepressant medication he was taking/going through withdrawal from.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…