The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by A_B »

Nice avatar.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Police: Apparent road rage led to fatal shooting, charges for N.J. detective
Three things I anticipate in this one:
1) Cop will claim he was defending himself and his family, and will avoid any charge greater than a token, and serve <1 year in jail
2) Victim was black
3) Fact that killing black folk along MD Route 3 is not all that unusual, historically and currently, will be a big part of this story.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

The cop is black. Can't find a photo of the victim.

Question: you're out of state, and you have your wife and three kids in the car. Why are you stopping?
mini puke to 1,558
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

kranepool wrote:The cop is black. Can't find a photo of the victim.

Question: you're out of state, and you have your wife and three kids in the car. Why are you stopping?
Cause you are armed and murderous?

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

BART!

mini puke to 1,558
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great response time by the cops. Good thing that giant dude in the blue shirt was around.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

UPDATE:
"... he seems to have been having a breakdown,” said Slim Chance, who leads the Berkeley circus troupe ClownSnotBombs.
mini puke to 1,558
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I thought the Third Amendment was pretty safe. Guess not.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Fuck the Police

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Balko has a regular "Raid of the Day" series,based on his book.

This one on cop culture via t-shirts was pretty good, too. He has also highlighted many valid examples of excessive police force against dogs (unlike what happened to that poor rottie last week). In general, this stuff should be the perfect pick me up for you whenever you feel your rage waning.

And no, I didn't buy his book but I did buy dadboner's.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

WRT doggie murder by cops: how exactly do mailmen deal with violent dogs? Despite the protestation of cops, there are actual alternatives.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:WRT doggie murder by cops: how exactly do mailmen deal with violent dogs? Despite the protestation of cops, there are actual alternatives.
I'm pretty sure our mail guy has pepper spray. If he had a gun instead...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn. I couldn't even make it through all of that, it was so depressing and rage-inducing (weird combo). I started to just skim and found sections of whole new flavors of ridiculousness.

I hope this shit gets some media play. But then, it'll probably get pro-cop media play. "Look at how great American police are at controlling angry mobs versus those morons in Turkey/Syria/Egypt/Brasil/etc. Thank god those violent protests could never happen here!"
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Balko has a regular "Raid of the Day" series,based on his book.

This one on cop culture via t-shirts was pretty good, too. He has also highlighted many valid examples of excessive police force against dogs (unlike what happened to that poor rottie last week). In general, this stuff should be the perfect pick me up for you whenever you feel your rage waning.

And no, I didn't buy his book but I did buy dadboner's.

I'm torn on the t-shirt post. My bleeding heart Liberal side wants to be pissed, but growing up with a father in law enforcement, I get the humor. And beyond that, I get the need for the humor when you live a life surrounded by criminals and endangering your life to capture them. In the end, it is stupid to wear the shirts, and while all LEOs (well, most), share this dark humor, some live it, and that scares me. I do have to say, this one made me laugh: "Law Enforcement......Helping perps slip down stairs since 1766"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The gf was told today while getting a no seatbelt ticket (in my car) to tell me to get rid of the radar detector, because they are not ok. Uhhh, yeah they are cop. Perfectly legal in Florida. Just trying to intimidate, I guess.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

Is it mounted on the windshield? that's illegal in florida iffin i recall correctly.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

testy boxcar wrote:Is it mounted on the windshield? that's illegal in florida iffin i recall correctly.
Nope. On the dashboard. It is illegal in FL to have anything other than a sunpass transponder and a mirror on the windshield, though.

Either way, dick was just being a dick.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What did you get pulled over for? Pretty sure you can't get stopped for just a seatbelt violation.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

govmentchedda wrote:What did you get pulled over for? Pretty sure you can't get stopped for just a seatbelt violation.

You can, in Ohio.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Is it just me or did America go full retard in the last 24 hours?

Keep it classy, Oakland!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

govmentchedda wrote:What did you get pulled over for? Pretty sure you can't get stopped for just a seatbelt violation.

I'm pretty sure you can in just about every state. Yeah, she got pulled over for the belt.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Icepenis wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can in just about every state. Yeah, she got pulled over for the belt.
I stand corrected. It looks like Florida changed its laws within the last few years to allow for a traffic stop solely based on no seatbelt.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Johnnie wrote:Is it just me or did America go full retard in the last 24 hours?

Keep it classy, Oakland!
Pretty normal Saturday night in Oak Town. Plenty of people who have continued to pay this mess minimal attention, despite what the media would have you believe.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Is it just me or did America go full retard in the last 24 hours?

Keep it classy, Oakland!
Pretty normal Saturday night in Oak Town. Plenty of people who have continued to pay this mess minimal attention, despite what the media would have you believe.
Gotta love the media. I figured it was isolated incidents being blown out of proportion.

It's just when I saw that dude light a blunt with a burning American flag when I went "Dafuq?"
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I mean yeah you can shoot people and dogs and stuff because well that's policework but DO NOT WEAR A UNICORN MASK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/07/ ... corn-head/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I follow that chick on Twitter. She's great.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Toronto Cops isolate a deranged teenager in a streetcar. Despite the fact that he is armed only with a knife, and despite the fact that he was alone inside the streetcar, they proceed to shoot him eight times and then to taser him AFTER he was shot.

A complete disgrace, luckily caught on tape.

Warning: Gunfire

I used to live no more than 50 yards from where the shooting occurred. It is a quarter mile from a huge hospital where certainly there must have been some one on staff who could talk down a stoned or mentally unbalanced kid?

And he had a knife and was presenting no danger to anyone but himself.

Needless to say, shit has hit the fan in Toronto - coming on the heels of the police raids of apartments connected to the Ro Ford fiasco, you could say that the people's confidence in our police is not at an all-time high.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/29 ... mmy-yatim/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Anytime there is a protest, you can count on Oakland to go too far with it. Violence, looting, shooting, always par for the course, whether it is a sporting event celebration, Oscar Grant, Occupy, or the Trayvon Martin trial. San Francisco will have all the same celebrations/protest events but they'll be non-violent, while in Oakland, they'll be hammering in windows and beating people up. I don't know what it is - it doesn't appear to be a different economic, racial, political or otherwise different group of people in Oakland from San Francisco - other than the group of anarchists who lead the destruction.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pruitt wrote:Toronto Cops isolate a deranged teenager in a streetcar. Despite the fact that he is armed only with a knife, and despite the fact that he was alone inside the streetcar, they proceed to shoot him eight times and then to taser him AFTER he was shot.
The rationalization for cops having tasers was, of course, so they wouldn't have to shoot tweeking weapon-wielding lunatics; they could simply zap them. The kid that they shot was no angel. He was wagging his pecker around in public, obviously whacked on drugs, and forced everyone off of that car at knife-point. Of course, the professional pinko protesters in Toronto will ignore all of that when the screeching hits its stride. The kid was "known to police", a Canadian media euphemism for "has a lengthy criminal record". I'd wager that the cops at the scene had in mind Vincent Li. Remember him? That psycho that cut off some kid's head on a Greyhound bus? The Manitoba fedcops were very heavily criticized for not shooting him; they had ample opportunity. Now, this being Canada, Li was not even sent to a prison but rather Club Happy Meds and today gets free passes to roam around in public. This seriously pisses-off law enforcement types and, for sure, that is exactly the sort of thing they discuss while at work; at length.

The odd thing is that if the Toronto cops had shot Sam Yatim once, there wouldn't be such an outcry. Seems as if it was the utter overkill that set the public off. Shooting a perp nine times and then tasering him? You can't blame that on adrenaline, no, that's just plain stupid; some badge-holding jagoff who watches too many Hollywood supercop movies.

What do you call the guy that finished last in his class in High School?
"Officer."
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Icepenis wrote:I mean yeah you can shoot people and dogs and stuff because well that's policework but DO NOT WEAR A UNICORN MASK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/07/ ... corn-head/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's comments like this that make me want to strangle asshats like Mike Huss.
“I always hate to see anybody that disrespects that uniform, and to me, it was disrespectful to the uniform,” said Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Mike Huss of the incident. “It’s being looked at and will be addressed.”
Oh dear, the uniform. Don't want to besmirch the uniform. Hey retards...it's the fucking officer, not the uniform. Put a good cop in a brownie the clownie costume, and he/she'll merit respect. Put a power tripping scumbag in the crispest of new uniforms bedazzled with the shiniest of medals, and he/she'll still be a scumbag. See how that works?

No offense to you Johnny, but it's similar with military douchebags, and their glorification of any and all trinkets related to their branch. Take your sacred cows, and insert them anally.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's all good. I may be in the military, but I'm not really in the military. Nahmean?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Scottie wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Toronto Cops isolate a deranged teenager in a streetcar. Despite the fact that he is armed only with a knife, and despite the fact that he was alone inside the streetcar, they proceed to shoot him eight times and then to taser him AFTER he was shot.
The rationalization for cops having tasers was, of course, so they wouldn't have to shoot tweeking weapon-wielding lunatics; they could simply zap them. The kid that they shot was no angel. He was wagging his pecker around in public, obviously whacked on drugs, and forced everyone off of that car at knife-point. Of course, the professional pinko protesters in Toronto will ignore all of that when the screeching hits its stride. The kid was "known to police", a Canadian media euphemism for "has a lengthy criminal record". I'd wager that the cops at the scene had in mind Vincent Li. Remember him? That psycho that cut off some kid's head on a Greyhound bus? The Manitoba fedcops were very heavily criticized for not shooting him; they had ample opportunity. Now, this being Canada, Li was not even sent to a prison but rather Club Happy Meds and today gets free passes to roam around in public. This seriously pisses-off law enforcement types and, for sure, that is exactly the sort of thing they discuss while at work; at length.

The odd thing is that if the Toronto cops had shot Sam Yatim once, there wouldn't be such an outcry. Seems as if it was the utter overkill that set the public off. Shooting a perp nine times and then tasering him? You can't blame that on adrenaline, no, that's just plain stupid; some badge-holding jagoff who watches too many Hollywood supercop movies.

What do you call the guy that finished last in his class in High School?
"Officer."

Scottie - I'm not sure the Toronto cops were thinking about the Manitoba guy. Maybe one of the boys in blue got an itchy trigger finger and shot the kid. Then it was like a pavlovian reaction and they started blasting away.

Here's the thing - maybe the Toronto cops haven't yet got the message that everyone and his neighbour now carries cameras around. Ten years ago, they "find" a gun on this kid, or invent a story of how he dove at a cop. Nowadays, forget about it.

And while I too realize that there are "professional" protesters in Toronto, in this case they are right.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pruitt wrote:Here's the thing - maybe the Toronto cops haven't yet got the message that everyone and his neighbour now carries cameras around. Ten years ago, they "find" a gun on this kid, or invent a story of how he dove at a cop. Nowadays, forget about it.
That's what is completely baffling. As much as I find cell phones to be more of a nuisance than useful, it took a while before it really sunk in that I was carrying around a camera (and video recorder) with me all the time; I used to take a digital camera everywhere. Anyway, yes. Exactly. You are correct, sir. And don't get me wrong, I believe the degree of over-reaction by the cop(s) in the Toronto case speaks for itself; it's appalling and arguably psychotic behavior. There were people on the scene at the bus beheading with cameras. There were people standing around recording the tasering death of Robert Dziekanski at the Vancouver airport (a senseless death, completely avoidable, effectively murder committed by cops in public). And the cops still just can't add two and two.

For those unfamiliar with the Dziekanski case, he was a Polish man visiting his Mom in Vancouver. Didn't speak English, Canadian Customs had nobody who could speak Polish (and, apparently, didn't bother trying to find anyone), so after Customs made a complete mess of his travel documentation they locked him in that room. He was there for ages. That's why he's so agitated in the video; he had no idea what was going on. All he does know is that he is supposed to be meeting his Mom at the airport (accidentally they went to different gates) and suddenly he's trapped in a room in some foreign country on the other side of the planet; to Dziekanski is must have seemed like a scene from a Kafka novel. Here's the video. Watch at your own risk, of course, bearing in mind that you are seeing a man murdered by cops. The cops, by the way, left him for dead. None of them attempted to revive him; nobody even tried CPR on him until paramedics arrived after far too much time had passed. Dziekanski's weapon? He was armed with a garden-variety office stapler.

Given that the Dziekanski incident took place over a relatively very lengthy span of time, it is almost impossible that the cops would not have noticed the whole episode was being filmed. The people recording it were standing right there, right next to them, as it were; these were not hidden cameras. And this sort of thing, civilians filming cops committing various degrees of indiscretion, happens on a terribly regular basis; complements to the ubiquitous surveillance cameras. Law enforcement types just don't seem to understand that curb-stomping a homeless guy because he was jaywalking is going to immediately get plastered all over YouTubia.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Guy shoots up rural PA town council meeting, kills three people.

He had been involved in a long dispute with the town over his right to reside in a house he illegally built on his own property. Improper disposal of sewage eventually led the town to kick him off his land and put it up at a sheriff's sale.
howard
Karl Hungus

The Police are Dangerous

Post by howard »

Man seeking help after North Carolina car crash shot by police

Wanna guess his color?

Police wound 2 bystanders in shooting near Times Square

The cops never have to account for their recklessness. Never. They are held to a drastically different set of laws than you or I, just like the elite. They care first and foremost for their own sense of safety, and have little compunction for using deadly force whenever they 'feel threatened'.

And the NYPD can't fucking shoot straight. At least these two clowns didn't empty their magazines; who knows how many more they would've wounded?

Fuck this shit.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

not sure if this belongs here... but then again it does... i know its nothing new, nor should it surprise us..
i love me some big data, but not in the hands of guvnmint.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill ... ll-booths/
howard
Karl Hungus

Someone Else in DC Loses It

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's a waste of gasoline. Shit's expensive.

Or if you have to do that, set someone on fire who's worth it.