The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by kranepool »

The US House of Representatives voted 407 to 0 today on a bill to guarantee that federal workers will receive back pay once the government reopens.

So basically, in an effort to cut spending, Congress has approved an indefinite, paid leave of absence to 800,000 federal workers during the shutdown.
mini puke to 1,558
howard
Karl Hungus

Another Self-Immolation Attempt

Post by howard »

This was a few days ago, and thankfully unsuccessful

A couple of years ago, the number of mass shooting incidents seemed to me to tick upward. I interpreted this as a reflection of shit falling apart, and more individuals loosing it. The intersection of mental illness and the pressures of a sick, ill society.

I take these incidents similarly, until I see evidence sufficient for me to change that conclusion.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Another Self-Immolation Attempt

Post by cerrano »

howard wrote:This was a few days ago, and thankfully unsuccessful

A couple of years ago, the number of mass shooting incidents seemed to me to tick upward. I interpreted this as a reflection of shit falling apart, and more individuals loosing it. The intersection of mental illness and the pressures of a sick, ill society.

I take these incidents similarly, until I see evidence sufficient for me to change that conclusion.
and the obvious question in that story goes unanswered: where'd he pick up the gasoline?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

kranepool wrote:The US House of Representatives voted 407 to 0 today on a bill to guarantee that federal workers will receive back pay once the government reopens.

So basically, in an effort to cut spending, Congress has approved an indefinite, paid leave of absence to 800,000 federal workers during the shutdown.
You can't make this stuff up.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Scottie
Donny

Swamp Emoticon Theatre Presents . . .

Post by Scottie »

Good evening. Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, the tragic and riveting story of a woman who opened a Taco Bell outlet in Birmingham, Alabama, that only uses one ingredient in its food: shoe polish. We'll find out if food can be considered authentically Mexican when the shoe polish is being manufactured in China. In our second segment, the debate rages on about whether you should "chip" or "putt" when just off of the green (we'll ask the President what he does). But first, the creation of the universe. We'll ask G-d Himself if He really exists and what He was thinking. Joining us from Burbank, California, where He's on set shooting His latest movie is the deity you may know as Allah, Yahweh or Spacemonster Joe. Please welcome G-d. Nice to have you with us this evening, Your Allbeing.
\

Thanks, Henderson. Nice to be here. Beep. Beep. Hmmm.
\

What was the thinking behind the Universe project?
\

Not much really. Wanted to try something new, that would throw the audience off. Took what I had kicking around. Bit of oxygen, hydrogen. Some left-over comets, gravity. Cobbled it together out of some other ideas I was working on that never panned out, y'know? Kind of a pastiche. I do a lot of pastiching. Originally I wanted to do a traditional jazz album but the funding wasn't there so I said sure, why not. Needed the work. Beep. Beep. Hmmm.
\

What about the various religions that claim you as their one and only true god; a god that dictates everything they do and think and, well, anything that has ever happened and ever will happen?
\

Yeah. I don't pay much attention to that. You don't create a work of art for the critics, y'know, it's, uh, strictly for the money, really. You write for yourself, y'know? Writing for lunatics isn't very, uh, cathartic. Beep. Beep. Hmmm.
\

There are millions, if not billions, of people praying to you. Constantly. Does that factor in your creative process?
\

No. Nah. I get a lot of fan mail. I don't read it. It's either people sycophantically gushing over you or calling you an asshole. And everyone wants something. Like a piece, right? I've got an assistant that goes through all that crap. If she comes across anything interesting she's supposed to let me know. Haven't heard from her in about, oh, couple thousand years. And that was just dealing with some cheap impersonator tryin' to steal my bits. Runnin' a kind of paternity scam. We killed him off. Beep. Beep. Hmmm.
\

I guess the big question is . . . do you really exist?
\

Ha! No. Not at all. I mean, let's be, uh, realistic here. Y'know, don't be silly. Of course not. Completely ridiculous. Beep. Beep. Hmmm.
\

Thank you, Your Al-Spacemonsterousness. Seems like an okay guy. Well . . . that should be trending on Twitter for the next twenty minutes or so. Our next guest is a restaurateur with a twist. Ms Reefrii'd Rice, welcome to the show. You look somewhat familiar.
\

Thanks, Cooperall. I get that a lot.
\

You fucking can't fucking serve that! Look at all! This! Shite! It's a nightmare! You'll fucking kill someone! Just look at that! Fuck me!
\

Fuck me?
\

Did someone activate the Bubba Signal? Jeeves, fire up the Bubba Van.
\

What brought you to using shoe polish as chimichanga filling in the first place?
\

Well, I had tons of it on hand and . . .
\

Hey, Cooperston. Ever been to Slippery Rock University? Don't act like you don't know what I mean.
\

It's got quite an endowment. So I've been told. Moving on . . . our next guest is a professional golfer that is also an avid President of the United States.
\

What's poppin', Caddieson? Make it snappy. You've got 'til the end of this smoke.
\

Yes. What's the secret to a good golf game, Mr President?
\

Mulligans.
\

I mean the current President.
\

Mulligans.
\

You people. You people don't know a damn thing about proper golf etiquette.
\

"You people"?
\

The fucking Scottish invented fucking golf! Why aren't you asking this boot wax slinging witch about glossing her drive-thru taco tortilla?
\

And polish. You forgot polish.
\

Freaks. I'm outta here. Call me in 2016.
\

Is that your room number?
\

This . . . is CNN.
\
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Marvelous. Beep beep hmmm.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Fantastic.
Popin' ain't easy
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Henderson's finest work.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Here is a sound

Post by howard »

No violence here. A fascinating (to me) snap, not least of all for the time and locale. Clip combines Public Radio International audio with C-SPAN video:

ETA: You think I'm gonna ticket myself? Heh. Rule of law don't apply to elites here neither.

http://www.ibtimes.com/who-dianne-reidy ... ideo-audio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

More Cop Killings

Post by howard »

North of SF, in Sonoma County, sheriffs shoot and kill 13yo who had a toy gun. Smells fishy, from initial reports.

East of SF, cops shoot and kill a man armed with a pipe. South of SF, cops shoot and kill a man driving a car.

All in 24 hours. I've seen no reports on the latter two killings. Could all be justified, and an anomalous cluster. I ain't betting on that, though. I'm betting we see more and more bullshit cop violence and murder.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Frie ... 920174.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Because there is no "Commercials That..." thread

Post by Scottie »

Nelly's Ride Wit Me is now a Honey Nut Cheerios commercial.
howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Because there is no "Commercials That..." thread

Post by howard »

Scottie wrote:Nelly's Ride Wit Me is now a Honey Nut Cheerios commercial.
Funny, this popped up on the twitter yesterday:

Megan Amram ‏@meganamram 23 Oct

"If ya wanna go and take a ride with me / wear your seatbelt"
- Nervous Nelly

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Biggest sign of things falling apart is the lack of purple font.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Too much work, too many clicks. I'm winding down in my old age.
Keg wrote:Biggest sign of things falling apart is the lack of purple font.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Because there is no "Commercials That..." thread

Post by Johnnie »

Scottie wrote:Nelly's Ride Wit Me is now a Honey Nut Cheerios commercial.
Tangentially related, Kanye's Black Skinhead is in this Moto X ad.

(The commercials you get to see when AFN commercials constantly rule your life. Meh.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Infrastructure Falls Apart Too (Not Just People)

Post by howard »

Another theme I have noticed in the past several years is the increasing failure of physical infrastructure systems. I think this is a trend, I expect to see more and more. Buildings, bridges, electrical blackouts, such things. I'll spare you my analysis or my list of causative factors. I also want to spare the swamp a new thread; so a mention here of a local failure (I think--trains do derail despite robust, well maintained systems; they also derail because of vandalism and because of exceptional human error, like a car parked on the tracks.)

Metro-North Train Derails in the Bronx, 4 Killed, Dozens Injured

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Infrastructure Falls Apart Too (Not Just People)

Post by cerrano »

howard wrote:Another theme I have noticed in the past several years is the increasing failure of physical infrastructure systems. I think this is a trend, I expect to see more and more. Buildings, bridges, electrical blackouts, such things. I'll spare you my analysis or my list of causative factors. I also want to spare the swamp a new thread; so a mention here of a local failure (I think--trains do derail despite robust, well maintained systems; they also derail because of vandalism and because of exceptional human error, like a car parked on the tracks.)

outlets are reporting that frequent passengers who were on the derailed train have said the train was going noticeably faster than usual into that turn. could be operator error. not going to be the least bit surprised if we learn that text messages were being sent and read by the driver at the time of the derailment.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

yeah, exceptional human error like texting while driving a friggin train.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I was supposed to be on that train later today. The bend at Spuyten Duyvil comes at the end of a long straightaway in which express trains like to go real fast. They usually have to slow down to almost a complete stop for that bend. I guess this guy didn't. Yeah I suspect the driver was distracted..
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Another theme I have noticed in the past several years is the increasing failure of physical infrastructure systems. I think this is a trend, I expect to see more and more. Buildings, bridges, electrical blackouts, such things. I'll spare you my analysis or my list of causative factors. I also want to spare the swamp a new thread; so a mention here of a local failure (I think--trains do derail despite robust, well maintained systems; they also derail because of vandalism and because of exceptional human error, like a car parked on the tracks.)

Completely agree, and it is going to be sad and full of tragedies like the highway collapse in Minnesota. And soon, we won't be able to afford the repairs. Obama's first major failure was not using the Stimulus to repair the infrastructure. Would have created a ton of jobs in construction when construction was at an all-time low, improved the infrastructure and prevented a fuckton of further repairs and cleanup later on.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote:Obama's first major failure was not using the Stimulus to repair the infrastructure.
"Shovel-ready" was the catch phrase. Nothing but PR--most of the stimulus money went to the states general funds instead of actual jobs programs. Delayed public employee layoffs for a year.

How many hundreds of buildings and bridges built during the New Deal are still in use? I won't even count Hoover Dam and the whole Tennessee Valley Authority complex.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Obama's first major failure was not using the Stimulus to repair the infrastructure.
"Shovel-ready" was the catch phrase. Nothing but PR--most of the stimulus money went to the states general funds instead of actual jobs programs. Delayed public employee layoffs for a year.

How many hundreds of buildings and bridges built during the New Deal are still in use? I won't even count Hoover Dam and the whole Tennessee Valley Authority complex.

Not sure if you are trying to say that they did good work, or that it was shitty slapped together crap due to inefficiencies and what not.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

They did great work, which continues to be useful and often beautiful seven decades later.

I have my arguments against fiscal stimulus for economic purposes, but I readily acknowledge the clear benefits. Such as buildings and bridges that can last decades.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Are you kidding me
http://www.businessinsider.com/affluenz ... er-2013-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I hope people aren't just getting hip to the fact that there's two standards of justice in this country depending on how wealthy you are.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Denial is a helluva drug, bri.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Intriguing. If true. Can't find any confirmation of that. Every article I found, none of which are in major news outlets, caveats "Germany's Bild newspaper first reported over the weekend". When the news is that someone else said something is news, well, y'know.

Familiar with Bild? It's a boob and fanny rag. A celebstalker tabloid. If you've never seen it, here is a typical front page (NSFW).

'twould be rather bizarre for Cold War II to be broken by Bild.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I didn't realize NATO had expanded to take in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. I'm not surprised the Russians would put missiles on that border.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Why You Always Use Plenty of Lube for Prostate Exams

Post by howard »

Reno shooter gunned down two doctors, patient at urology clinic

Guaranteed homie was dissatisfied with his medical care.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Re: Why You Always Use Plenty of Lube for Prostate Exams

Post by rass »

howard wrote:Reno shooter gunned down two doctors, patient at urology clinic

Guaranteed homie was dissatisfied with his medical care.
I bet he was just pissed.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

The Jets are favored this weekend.

Bring me a goat!
mini puke to 1,558
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rub it in.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Now imagine the goat saying that.
howard
Karl Hungus

Tough Call, Here or 'WTF Is Wrong with People' Thread

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

And Now For Something A Little Somewhat Different

Post by howard »

Cause we are going backwards.

Ex-cops acquitted in beating death of homeless man in California

I remember something similar happened in 1992. Cops beat a man nearly to death, on video, acquitted at trial. Kinda big news. Now, it is just swallowed. Sure, one cop is brown, murder victim was white. Fucking progress.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Re: And Now For Something A Little Somewhat Different

Post by Keg »

howard wrote:Cause we are going backwards.

Ex-cops acquitted in beating death of homeless man in California

I remember something similar happened in 1992. Cops beat a man nearly to death, on video, acquitted at trial. Kinda big news. Now, it is just swallowed. Sure, one cop is brown, murder victim was white. Fucking progress.
There seems to be a lot less media attention this time around. Makes me wonder if the cops and media are working together to keep this out of headlines (a lesson learned from 1992?). I saw on twitter that the local news didn't mention the verdict until later in the newscast.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated