The Dude

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh yeah...this is going great...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Right. Stuff like that. And Q being at a protest march today. Etc.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

He had that and some more in this thread
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hysterical to me that people look at Trump as an Alpha when his own wife won't fuck him.

He acts like a bad guy in a shitty 80s movie.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Then there's this fucking asshole:

He's getting lit up on Twitter by veterans and historians right now. A sample:

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:16 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:36 am Q going to the youth-led march here in Baltimore that organizes at 3:30 pm and starts from the convention center at 4:00. He's going with two of his african-american friends from school to stand and walk in support. I am at the office and will hold here as their ride home. I could say I am proud, and I am, but also frightened. It is all on such a knife's edge. So many spoiling for violence from the Cheeto to the police to the those who get off on it - there's going to be something touched off somewhere that's going to be Kent State bad. The white house and those who want to enforce their version of martial law want it sooo badly.
Damn. Good for you for letting him go, not sure I could give the green light to my kids. I'd want to, and maybe when they are older I could, but man, that is a tough call.
He's 18. I don't know how to bar him. He's right to want to stand and raise his voice. I should be too. But I am also so worried about the government and police response. We know how this goes.
I get that you can't really bar him, but it sounds like you are supporting his decision (even if cautiously), and I respect that.
I think that's great, TB. And remember that the vast majority of actual protests have not involved violence, either from the protestors or the police.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:37 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:16 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:36 am Q going to the youth-led march here in Baltimore that organizes at 3:30 pm and starts from the convention center at 4:00. He's going with two of his african-american friends from school to stand and walk in support. I am at the office and will hold here as their ride home. I could say I am proud, and I am, but also frightened. It is all on such a knife's edge. So many spoiling for violence from the Cheeto to the police to the those who get off on it - there's going to be something touched off somewhere that's going to be Kent State bad. The white house and those who want to enforce their version of martial law want it sooo badly.
Damn. Good for you for letting him go, not sure I could give the green light to my kids. I'd want to, and maybe when they are older I could, but man, that is a tough call.
He's 18. I don't know how to bar him. He's right to want to stand and raise his voice. I should be too. But I am also so worried about the government and police response. We know how this goes.
I get that you can't really bar him, but it sounds like you are supporting his decision (even if cautiously), and I respect that.
I think that's great, TB. And remember that the vast majority of actual protests have not involved violence, either from the protestors or the police.
That is true. But this is Baltimore, and well, the history here is recent and raw on this issue...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 am He's 18. I don't know how to bar him. He's right to want to stand and raise his voice. I should be too. But I am also so worried about the government and police response. We know how this goes.
Yeah, that's where it gets tough. Mine is 19, and I suggested she not go to the protests, but if she wanted to, I couldn't stop her.

Back when she told us she wanted to go back and shelter in Seattle, I tried to tell her she had to stay at home with her Mum and me. She put her hand on my shoulder, and spoke to me like I was a bit slow (as best I remember it), "Dad, I'm going. I'll buy the plane ticket myself if you don't want to. I'll keep the mask on and avoid people as best I can, and Phil will pick me up. I'm an adult now, Dad, and that's my decision."
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 am He's 18. I don't know how to bar him. He's right to want to stand and raise his voice. I should be too. But I am also so worried about the government and police response. We know how this goes.
Yeah, that's where it gets tough. Mine is 19, and I suggested she not go to the protests, but if she wanted to, I couldn't stop her.

Back when she told us she wanted to go back and shelter in Seattle, I tried to tell her she had to stay at home with her Mum and me. She put her hand on my shoulder, and spoke to me like I was a bit slow (as best I remember it), "Dad, I'm going. I'll buy the plane ticket myself if you don't want to. I'll keep the mask on and avoid people as best I can, and Phil will pick me up. I'm an adult now, Dad, and that's my decision."
"And don't forget to send the check next month."
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Gregg Popovich with a righteous (and extremely accurate) rant:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not sad about this vandalism:

Confederate Statues and Other Symbols of Racism All Over the Country Were Destroyed by Protesters This Weekend

Why all of this shit was still up after Charlottesville is fucking stupid. Why it was all erected in the first place is utter bullshit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Might be well known to this board, but the vast majority of Confederate statues were put up many decades after the CW ended. It was a propaganda effort, funded by the effort to justify and promote Jim Crow laws.

They can all be melted to the ground, as far as I care. The ignorance of people that wave that flag and act butt hurt about confed statues coming down is pretty much all that needs to be said about the state of this nation.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:17 am Then there's this fucking asshole:

He's getting lit up on Twitter by veterans and historians right now. A sample:

Well, the veterans may hate it, but one draft evader thinks it's a great idea.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He really wants to spill some American blood, huh?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:28 pm He really wants to spill some American blood, huh?
He always has.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It really is like shooting fish in a barrel with these assholes isn't it?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Some rumors that Louisville may be in for a long night. A guy was shot last night, but he wasn't involved with protests at all, was either at work or going home, I've seen conflicting. Issue is that they were apparently using live ammo in the blacker part of town and rubber bullets where the main protests were happening. Don't hold me to that, it's a bit of secondhand info mixed with some actual reporting.

ETA: The Chief of Police has just been fired after the Mayor found out that body cams were turned off.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:02 pm It really is like shooting fish in a barrel with these assholes isn't it?

In another tweet, he was calling for No Quarter against the protesters.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:05 pm Some rumors that Louisville may be in for a long night. A guy was shot last night, but he wasn't involved with protests at all, was either at work or going home, I've seen conflicting. Issue is that they were apparently using live ammo in the blacker part of town and rubber bullets where the main protests were happening. Don't hold me to that, it's a bit of secondhand info mixed with some actual reporting.

ETA: The Chief of Police has just been fired after the Mayor found out that body cams were turned off.
Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part but the dynamics feel different this time than in prior protests. It seems like a lot of police officers think that with Trump as President they have free reign to act aggressively. But with incidents like what you described, journalists getting arrested, and obviously harmless protestors getting assaulted, there seems to be broader recognition that the police are crossing the line.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:34 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:05 pm Some rumors that Louisville may be in for a long night. A guy was shot last night, but he wasn't involved with protests at all, was either at work or going home, I've seen conflicting. Issue is that they were apparently using live ammo in the blacker part of town and rubber bullets where the main protests were happening. Don't hold me to that, it's a bit of secondhand info mixed with some actual reporting.

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part but the dynamics feel different this time than in prior protests. It seems like a lot of police officers think that with Trump as President they have free reign to act aggressively. But with incidents like what you described, journalists getting arrested, and obviously harmless protestors getting assaulted, there seems to be broader recognition that the police are crossing the line.
I agree. My Rockefeller-Republican sister and niece are 100% against the cops. And conservative "respectable" Mormon guys like Dale Murphy, Ken Jennings, and Evan McMullin are all opposed to what the cops are doing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:34 pm

I'm with you on this.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This is the building I live in. Looks like some people had some Extra Bucks they didn't want to go to waste.

It really wasn't too bad around here yesterday (or Saturday for that matter though some stuff did go down on Sat), and I have to say the police did a pretty good job yesterday. Didn't tear gas any crowds or escalate any situations and so now at least in this area there is one cracked CVS window to repair.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm halfway around the world and I have that same sense. It kinda seems like the masses have "woken up" and realize that mobilizing together means you can overwhelm any show of force by police because the numbers are too great.

Plus, when you have visuals of cops shooting at unarmed civilians, cops attempting to run them over, and also cops in some cities de-escalating and showing a proper way to interact with protesters, it gives credibility to why the protests are happening. The people just want to be free.

And it helps, in a morbid way, that they've been cooped up for months, abiding by rapidly changing societal norms to accommodate others during a pandemic and sacrifice a bit, and while there's nothing open and many are out of work, the police decide to be cunts and remind everyone they're a paramilitary force in some areas. The "cabin fever" energy needed to go somewhere.

Plus, too many people are just fucking over this fuckbag clown president. I just hope this rage carries over into November.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My god...I just laughed at an Ann Coulter tweet...

We are through the looking glass...
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EdRomero wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 am The MN gov and AG pretty clear that last night's violence in their area from those outside the state. Hearing similar comments from Detroit and Oakland. Whites causing the damage - not too far a stretch to make the connection to attempts by the white supremacists to spark something worse.
So Howard tweeted this:

I don't know what the percentages are and I'm sure there are a few troublemakers traveling just to be shitheads and cause chaos, but I'm wondering if pushing the story that this is all outside troublemakers is a way for politicians to minimize how pissed their citizens are. They'd rather believe that it's some troublemakers rather than it's many normally good citizen who are so enraged that they're losing control.
The Miami mayor said that "only 13 of 57" were "from Miami", while excluding that the large majority of the rest were from the metro area but not the city proper. Also note that Miami is easily the smallest large US city by area. So I'd take that with a grain of salt.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Baltimore march is many thousands. I watching it go by about a block from my bldg. Very chill and peaceful. Q supposed to be peeling away from it shortly so we can head home, really proud of him for this.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 pm The Baltimore march is many thousands. I watching it go by about a block from my bldg. Very chill and peaceful. Q supposed to be peeling away from it shortly so we can head home, really proud of him for this.

Fantastic.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm My god...I just laughed at an Ann Coulter tweet...

Wait, is she anti-Trump now?

(and yes, that's a funny Tweet. Dammit)
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm My god...I just laughed at an Ann Coulter tweet...

Wait, is she anti-Trump now?

(and yes, that's a funny Tweet. Dammit)
She's said anti-Trump stuff before, such as when he was insufficiently hostile toward immigrants.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is this the February 1968 LBJ moment for Trump?

"My God, if I've lost Ann Coulter, I've lost nutbag America!"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 pm The Baltimore march is many thousands. I watching it go by about a block from my bldg. Very chill and peaceful. Q supposed to be peeling away from it shortly so we can head home, really proud of him for this.

Awesome. You should be very proud of him for being there supporting his friends.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

and we are home. Glad he left when he did - they are up onto the start of I-83 now as as dusk falls I worry about something touching off.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Even Sesame Street isn't safe. (The Photoshops are outstanding.)

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:21 pm Is this the February 1968 LBJ moment for Trump?

That's hilarious. I saw a few clips of Coulter brutally attacking Trump last week. I don't think Trump loses a single supporter, all of Coulter fans (is she still relevant?) who support Trump will label her a Libturd shill, as though she faked being Conservative for 20 years so she could spring out and covertly attack Trump today. Every respectable Conservative and now many unrespectable Conservative voices are anti-Trump, at some point, maybe it's Trump...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trying to imagine the reaction on Fox News to this headline, had it happened:

"Obama administration has priests tear-gassed for photo op"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:53 am
brian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:21 pm Is this the February 1968 LBJ moment for Trump?

That's hilarious. I saw a few clips of Coulter brutally attacking Trump last week. I don't think Trump loses a single supporter, all of Coulter fans (is she still relevant?) who support Trump will label her a Libturd shill, as though she faked being Conservative for 20 years so she could spring out and covertly attack Trump today. Every respectable Conservative and now many unrespectable Conservative voices are anti-Trump, at some point, maybe it's Trump...
yeah, I don't think it changes the voting on the Trump side. COVID has created a new group of establishments that people hate regardless of political affiliation. The "Expert". The expert telling them to stay home, the expert telling them to wear masks, the experts cracking jokes at Trump. To them, now every expert, who are still working and getting paid, are spouting nonsense while the unemployed and suffering sit at home.

The whole rioting helps Trump as well. I love a good protest and riot and support people doing what they're doing right now. But the looting of private property and business I'll never understand, especially with the owner standing right there. And that shit gets on the news.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:44 am
The whole rioting helps Trump as well. I love a good protest and riot and support people doing what they're doing right now. But the looting of private property and business I'll never understand, especially with the owner standing right there. And that shit gets on the news.
I'm not so sure. Trump's faithful will see him as being strong with his language calling for more police brutality and sending in the military to save the weak Dem governors who are too politically correct to do what needs to be done (in their minds). I'm hearing some normally Conservative, normally police supporting people feeling uneasy with Trump's language. Remember when Trump spoke to some police group early in his Presidency, when he told them they need to stop being so nice and stop protecting cuffed suspects' heads when they put them into cars? That made most LEOs very uneasy and turned off. Now seeing him implement this type of police action isn't going to sit well, and LEOs are typically very Right leaning. Look at how many cities have their police officers joining with protesters, I can't recall ever seeing that. My town's police chief released a statement this weekend calling for reform and siding with the protests.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How'd that go over?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.