Jeeves thinks HIPAA is Hitler: Health Insurance

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Jeeves thinks HIPAA is Hitler: Health Insurance

Post by BSF21 »

Any of you guys in the insurance field or work close enough with HR in your work to advise me on a couple of quick questions regarding workplace health enrollment / ACA stuff?

BSF is quite confused.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Jeeves thinks HIPAA is Hitler: Health Insurance

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I tried to PM you but my message got stuck in the Outbox. I may be able to help you; send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

delivered. I PMed back. If you don't receive let me know.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Some of you may have followed along with my exciting rabies adventure on FB. LSS for everyone else: I got bit (mangled thumb) by a Boston fucking Terrier of unknown origin and had to get a post-exposure rabies vaccine. The ER is pretty much the only place you can go to get the initial series of shots, because the immunoglobulin needed to activate the vaccine is super-expensive or difficult to store or uncommon or something. Despite being assured by my provider that I would be fully covered (after a bit a bit of a scare when the looked up the pre-exposure vaccine and told me I wouldn't be covered) I've been sweating out the time waiting for the claim.

It finally came through, and the hospital billed my provider over $16K, of which they agreed to pay just over $5K, of which I'm responsible for $765, of which $665 went against my deductible (which my company covers via a HSA) so I'll be out out of pocket no more than $100. Phew.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's a relief, but man - $16,000!

I got to open a hospital down there. Seems like easy money.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was it clear my Facebook joke was about you trying to personally neuter neighborhood dogs?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:14 am Was it clear my Facebook joke was about you trying to personally neuter neighborhood dogs?
If you have to ask...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 am That's a relief, but man - $16,000!

Except the insurance immediately told them that was 11k too much.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 am

That's a relief, but man - $5,000!

Seriously, is there any other business where they could lower the cost by 70% and still make a killing?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 am

Imagine if you were some poor uninsured sap who tried to tell the hospital they were billing too much, and get them to lower the charge. Think that would work?

Fuck those Trumplidites who want to kill Obamacare.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pm
Imagine if you were some poor uninsured sap who tried to tell the hospital they were billing too much, and get them to lower the charge. Think that would work?

Fuck those Trumplidites who want to kill Obamacare.
Actually, if you are uninsured, hospitals will always negotiate down bills. The system is insanely stupid. Insurance companies negotiate pricing individually with providers, so providers need to jack up the bill so insurance companies can make their customers think they are saving them a fortune. Plus when they treat indigent patients who can't pay, they can write off the losses, so this way they get bigger credits that work towards covering the unpaid bills.

Pruitt wrote:Seriously, is there any other business where they could lower the cost by 70% and still make a killing?I got to open a hospital down there. Seems like easy money.
In full disclosure, the hospital Rass went to is part of the system my wife works for. They are non-profit and rely heavily on donations. Unlike any other industry, hospitals are required to serve customers even when they know they won't get paid. If an uninsured person walks into the ER, and the hospital knows they have no ability to pay, they get the same treatment as everyone else. Part of the inflated prices is the need to cover costs for patients who can't afford to pay. Yet another problem in the US healthcare system that would be resolved by moving to a single payer system.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ah. I didn't know that.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pmImagine if you were some poor uninsured sap who tried to tell the hospital they were billing too much, and get them to lower the charge. Think that would work?
If you were a *poor* uninsured sap who tried to tell the hospital they were billing too much, you'd probably be able to negotiate down, since a bankruptcy filing wouldn't do the hospital any good.

BTW, my longtime Senator, the "Honorable" Orrin Hatch, announced today that people who suppored Obamacare were "dumbasses."

So I just called his office and reamed out the guy who had to answer the phone. I asked him why I was a dumbass for being glad my secretary won't lose health coverage when her pre-existing condition makes it impossible for her to work. I even pulled the "aren't we all supposed to be Christians?" card and asked why the Senator didn't think the suffering of millions was important.

Okay, maybe a little overboard. But fuck him.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:14 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pmImagine if you were some poor uninsured sap who tried to tell the hospital they were billing too much, and get them to lower the charge. Think that would work?
If you were a *poor* uninsured sap who tried to tell the hospital they were billing too much, you'd probably be able to negotiate down, since a bankruptcy filing wouldn't do the hospital any good.

BTW, my longtime Senator, the "Honorable" Orrin Hatch, announced today that people who suppored Obamacare were "dumbasses."

So I just called his office and reamed out the guy who had to answer the phone. I asked him why I was a dumbass for being glad my secretary won't lose health coverage when her pre-existing condition makes it impossible for her to work. I even pulled the "aren't we all supposed to be Christians?" card and asked why the Senator didn't think the suffering of millions was important.

Okay, maybe a little overboard. But fuck him.
Ordinarily I'd say it's wrong to take it out on the person answering phones, but he chose to work for Orrin Hatch, he deserves it.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

In 6th grade I had to write a letter to a senator and I wrote to Orrin Hatch. Can't remember what the hell it was about.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm In 6th grade I had to write a letter to a senator and I wrote to Orrin Hatch. Can't remember what the hell it was about.
Dear Senator Hatch,

Why did your parents give you such a stupid ass name? Do they still hate you?

Sincerely,

BoyBleu
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

duff wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm In 6th grade I had to write a letter to a senator and I wrote to Orrin Hatch. Can't remember what the hell it was about.
Dear Senator Hatch,

Why did your parents give you such a stupid ass name? Do they still hate you?

Sincerely,

BoyBleu
Just remembered naive LittleBoyBleu asked him to reintroduce wolves or protect them or something. Basically as effective.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Good news is I was offered a job, which I'm hoping to start in 2 weeks. Bad news is I have surgery on Thursday. My plan is to give my 2 weeks notice to the job I'm leaving on Monday, but I don't know if there is a risk my coverage for the surgery gets messed up. Anyone know anything about this and if there is anything I should do?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Your health insurance generally will last through the end of your termination month. Should probably check for sure though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Maybe someone can explain this to me... My son's doctor gave him a prescription and told me that even with insurance it will likely be prohibitively expensive. He said if it's more than $30, don't pay for it, and he'll order it from a specialty pharmacy. Brought the script to CVS and after insurance it was $450 for a tube of ointment. Doctor called it in to the mail order pharmacy. They said my insurance won't pay them, but they can apply a coupon and send it for $35. WTF? I'm guessing it's some sort of manufacturers coupon, but this makes absolutely no sense. Curious what CVS would have charged someone without insurance.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sounds like a GoodRx type of situation. I don't know how it works but it does on the one script I have that isn't covered. You could download the app and put the drug name in and it will tell you if they have a discount for it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I bet it's Crisco
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:10 pmI bet it's Crisco
That should work wonders for acne.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He needs those star patches that are apparently cool to wear in public and I'm sure work really well.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:01 pm Sounds like a GoodRx type of situation. I don't know how it works but it does on the one script I have that isn't covered. You could download the app and put the drug name in and it will tell you if they have a discount for it.
You don't even need to download the app, their website will tell you. And it may not be the best deal, as my wife found out firsthand recently.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”