Today's the Day We Can Talk About The Jewish Guys, Right?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Today's the Day We Can Talk About The Jewish Guys, Right?

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have to admit I was a bit torn as I got up early to go to store to get everything I needed to slow cook mojo pork yesterday to make some really good Cuban Sandwiches so they would be done in time for me to eat before watching services.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am
bfj wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm It’s that time of year again, so I will post this. Wishing us all a better year ahead.

To those I have wronged,
I ask forgiveness.
To those I may have helped,
I wish I had done more.
To those I neglected to help,
I ask for understanding.
To those who helped me,
I thank you with all my heart.

I’m by no means religious anymore, but this prayer has nothing to do w gd. Always liked the sentiment behind it.
More important today than at any time in my lifetime.

The High Holidays are always a reminder of how I failed to provide my children with a religious education, which I'm still torn about. My daughter was on the phone with my mother while I drove her home for soccer. She mentioned that she didn't have school on Monday (today) because it's "the day that those people can't eat." I said, "you mean us? We are those people."
I'm the opposite, I always felt like a hypocrite sending my son to Jewish day schools and Hebrew schools when I don't/haven't practiced any form of organized religion in 20+ years. What was the point in forcing him into learning a language he'll never use and study a book that is basically made up nonsense? I taught him the importance of family and being a good person and how the rewards you get from those things are having a happier life while you are on this earth and worrying about "what is the afterlife" going to be like is just pointless stress you don't really need.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm
bfj wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm It’s that time of year again, so I will post this. Wishing us all a better year ahead.

To those I have wronged,
I ask forgiveness.
I wish I had done more.
I ask for understanding.
To those who helped me,

I’m by no means religious anymore, but this prayer has nothing to do w gd. Always liked the sentiment behind it.
More important today than at any time in my lifetime.

The High Holidays are always a reminder of how I failed to provide my children with a religious education, which I'm still torn about. My daughter was on the phone with my mother while I drove her home for soccer. She mentioned that she didn't have school on Monday (today) because it's "the day that those people can't eat." I said, "you mean us? We are those people."
I'm the opposite, I always felt like a hypocrite sending my son to Jewish day schools and Hebrew schools when I don't/haven't practiced any form of organized religion in 20+ years. What was the point in forcing him into learning a language he'll never use and study a book that is basically made up nonsense? I taught him the importance of family and being a good person and how the rewards you get from those things are having a happier life while you are on this earth and worrying about "what is the afterlife" going to be like is just pointless stress you don't really need.
You're a good dad.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Thank you for writing this, as I realize this is exactly how I would have felt if I did send my kids to Hebrew school. The beauty of organized religions, they fill us with guilt no matter what decisions we make. This actually makes me feel a lot less guilt, though I do need to teach them some basics. My son has read a bit on his own. We went with 3 or 4 other families in town to an open house at a reform Hebrew school that is unaffiliated with a synagogue. My son loved it and wanted to go, and I think all of the other families ended up going, but the classes were at the same time as cross country meets, so we didn't send him.

I hated Hebrew school, but I feel a sense of empowerment that I was indoctrinated with religion and made an educated decision to abandon the beliefs of the religion and decide I'm agnostic with my toes well over the atheist line. I always appreciated that my parents faked (minimally) believing in religion and letting me decide for myself. They never kept kosher and we only went on high holidays and a very rare service when required by a Hebrew School teacher. I remember one Purim and maybe 2 Shabbat services over 10 years. We lit the menorah and opened presents, but that is it. My freshman year of college my father made fun of me for not going to High Holiday services because it would have been full of girls dressed up and looking to meet Jewish guys. No concern for the religious aspects.

He made an excellent
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Somehow it never even occurred to me to wonder why Jewish New Year was in the fall.

Apparently no one really knows.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myjewi ... s-day/amp/

Apparently l’shana tova might not be right, either.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myjewi ... s-day/amp/

Anyway, l’shana tova to all who celebrate.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A Prayer for Yom Kippur

To those I have wronged,
I ask forgiveness.
I wish I had done more.
I ask for understanding.
To those who helped me,

That’s as close as I get to a prayer.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

As far as prayers go, it's lovely.

How's the fast going?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:39 pm As far as prayers go, it's lovely.

How's the fast going?
I had chicken breast with a delicious prosciutto and provolone on top over a nice bed of spinach. Pretty good start.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saltimbocca? Have a good one man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:09 am Saltimbocca? Have a good one man.
Yes! It was quite tasty. Never had it before.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, good stuff. I used to be a huge fan of chicken Sorrentino, swapping out the spinach for eggplant. That was my goto at the Italian restaurant my then girlfriend's parents (my in-law's to-be) favored when we first started going out.

Both dishes seem to be a lot more common on the veal portion of menus.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:18 am Yeah, good stuff. I used to be a huge fan of chicken Sorrentino, swapping out the spinach for eggplant. That was my goto at the Italian restaurant my then girlfriend's parents (my in-law's to-be) favored when we first started going out.

I miss Casa di Pasta. Is it still there?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

cerranoredux wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:13 am
rass wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:18 am Yeah, good stuff. I used to be a huge fan of chicken Sorrentino, swapping out the spinach for eggplant. That was my goto at the Italian restaurant my then girlfriend's parents (my in-law's to-be) favored when we first started going out.

I miss Casa di Pasta. Is it still there?
It is! It's a YK miracle. The sorrentino is up to $22, but it still comes with a salad and a side of pasta.

I'll have to ask my wife why her family stopped going there. I think they didn't take reservations, so as her sisters started having kids and the size of our party grew it was maybe difficult to get seated? Or, the last time I was there must have been well before my FIL passed away, so maybe they did something that annoyed him once and that was enough to get them off the list after a decade+ of good meals.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:09 am Saltimbocca?
At the restaurant I worked at in college, "Fixing the 'bocca sauce" was code word for stepping out the back door to get high...
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Another year, another fast... (ish)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So Kanye is just like a full-blown Nazi now I guess?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think he's more stupid than antisemetic. Although he's also an antisemite. But I think it's more that he's fucking dumb, and not enough people close to him have told him that in the last twenty years.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:06 pm I think he's more stupid than antisemetic. Although he's also an antisemite. But I think it's more that he's fucking dumb, and not enough people close to him have told him that in the last twenty years.
For sure, but I feel like stupid and Nazi aren't mutually exclusive. Like even these scum of the earth people interviewing are trying to give him a chance to take it down a notch and he's just like "NO,REALLY...I LOVE HITLER."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:10 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:06 pm I think he's more stupid than antisemetic. Although he's also an antisemite. But I think it's more that he's fucking dumb, and not enough people close to him have told him that in the last twenty years.
For sure, but I feel like stupid and Nazi aren't mutually exclusive. Like even these scum of the earth people interviewing are trying to give him a chance to take it down a notch and he's just like "NO,REALLY...I LOVE HITLER."
Stupid and Nazi are not mutually exclusive ... but if you take "Nazi" to mean "believes that Jews should be exterminated from the planet," probably just stupid.

Also, whatever the corollary of "stupid" is that means "just says words to push back on criticism but doesn't really care about the content of what he's saying," he's that too.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A lot of stupid people have killed and lynched less stupid people through the years.
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just see it more as a case that he’s really fucking dumb. Like if we found out that he really had no idea what the Holocaust was, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least.

And Steve, I believe the word you’re looking for is “Kyrie-esque”.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 pm I just see it more as a case that he’s really fucking dumb. Like if we found out that he really had no idea what the Holocaust was, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least.

Also, a narcissist (or just lunatic?) is going to glom on to whomever gives him positive feedback.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:21 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 pm I just see it more as a case that he’s really fucking dumb. Like if we found out that he really had no idea what the Holocaust was, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least.

Also, a narcissist (or just lunatic?) is going to glom on to whomever gives him positive feedback.
I just can’t get offended by Kanye’s antisemitic statements. It’s the ramblings of a bipolar narcissistic billionaire with all the attention in the world who refuses to take his meds. More sad than hateful IMO. A little concerned he might inspire some people to commit acts of violence, but I just can’t care about what he says.

However, I LOVE the leaked statement that when Kanye brought the Nazi dude to Mar a Lago, the purpose of the meeting was Kanye asking Trump to be his running mate. Imagine asking Trump to run as your VP. I need to believe that’s true, and I desperately hope video leaks.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:51 pm I just can’t get offended by Kanye’s antisemitic statements. It’s the ramblings of a bipolar narcissistic billionaire with all the attention in the world who refuses to take his meds. More sad than hateful IMO. A little concerned he might inspire some people to commit acts of violence, but I just can’t care about what he says.
Counterpoint: When he says he believes hateful things, believe him. And, know that when a loud, somewhat influential voice loudly spouts such hateful things, he is going to cultivate similar thoughts among others.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:17 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:51 pm I just can’t get offended by Kanye’s antisemitic statements. It’s the ramblings of a bipolar narcissistic billionaire with all the attention in the world who refuses to take his meds. More sad than hateful IMO. A little concerned he might inspire some people to commit acts of violence, but I just can’t care about what he says.
Counterpoint: When he says he believes hateful things, believe him. And, know that when a loud, somewhat influential voice loudly spouts such hateful things, he is going to cultivate similar thoughts among others.
For sure, even if Kanye is acting out of stupidity or ego rather than malice, his statements can still be a serious matter and should be shut down if possible.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:17 pm
At least bring a lot of people who have a problem with it to apathy. Apathy is pretty innocuous, except in the voting booth.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:51 pm

I just can’t get offended by Kanye’s antisemitic statements. It’s the ramblings of a bipolar narcissistic billionaire with all the attention in the world who refuses to take his meds. More sad than hateful IMO. A little concerned he might inspire some people to commit acts of violence, but I just can’t care about what he says.
Let me ask, because I honestly have no idea...is that ever not your reaction to anti-semites or do you have a line or something? I mean I can't imagine you wouldn't think the same thing about Mel Gibson or Farrakhan or whoever. But again, I don't know! Now I want to!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:29 pm

Let me ask, because I honestly have no idea...is that ever not your reaction to anti-semites or do you have a line or something? I mean I can't imagine you wouldn't think the same thing about Mel Gibson or Farrakhan or whoever. But again, I don't know! Now I want to!
I thought about that after I typed. Almost anyone who hates an entire group of people is either mentally ill or was taught from a young age to hate, essentially brainwashed. I realized the difference with Kanye, I knew he was severally mentally ill long before I knew he was antisemitic. If he was spouting hate before I knew he was mentally ill, I probably would have cared about his hateful views. Now I just take pity on him.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You also really have to respect going full Nazi. I wish more GOPers would cop to it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:15 pm You also really have to respect going full Nazi. I wish more GOPers would cop to it.
Oh, they already did...

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm

I thought about that after I typed. Almost anyone who hates an entire group of people is either mentally ill or was taught from a young age to hate, essentially brainwashed. I realized the difference with Kanye, I knew he was severally mentally ill long before I knew he was antisemitic. If he was spouting hate before I knew he was mentally ill, I probably would have cared about his hateful views. Now I just take pity on him.
Yeah see I think about that a lot for instance with evangelical Christians hating gays or you fucking name it. Pick a sin. But there's still a conflict there, right? Like is being genetically mentally ill any less evil than being than being brainwashed before an age you can think critically that your morality derives from a book that says you should believe that homosexuals should be thrown in a hole and bludgeoned to death with rocks upon penalty of unimaginable, eternal torture and having that belief constantly reinforced by people who have been granted moral authority over you?

I realize this opens up a fuckton of questions about free will, nature/nurture, and shit but I'm like Rogan here...just asking questions!

When it comes to bigotry, what's the difference between exonerating the mentally ill or the brainwashed?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:21 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm

Yeah see I think about that a lot for instance with evangelical Christians hating gays or you fucking name it. Pick a sin. But there's still a conflict there, right? Like is being genetically mentally ill any less evil than being than being brainwashed before an age you can think critically that your morality derives from a book that says you should believe that homosexuals should be thrown in a hole and bludgeoned to death with rocks upon penalty of unimaginable, eternal torture and having that belief constantly reinforced by people who have been granted moral authority over you?

I realize this opens up a fuckton of questions about free will, nature/nurture, and shit but I'm like Rogan here...just asking questions!

When it comes to bigotry, what's the difference between exonerating the mentally ill or the brainwashed?
I was putting them in the same category. When I don’t know the reason for the hate and bigotry, I hate the hater. When I take a step back and realize where the bigotry comes from, I pity the bigot if I know they are mentally ill or trained to hate at a young age. Hate the bigotry not the bigot.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seems appropriate here...from Josh Gondelman:

HOW TO HATE A JEW LIKE A JEW
Also… there’s no such thing as “the Jews.” A global conspiracy of all Jewish people would be impossible to cultivate and keep up. Canonically, no gathering of more than one Jewish person in history has been able to reach a consensus on where to get the best bagels in town or what shoes Grandpa should be buried in. Dominating international financial markets is, to be frank, above our organizational capacity.