The Edmonton Oilers/All Things McDavid

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

The Edmonton Oilers/All Things McDavid

Post by bapo! »

This is the sixth October in a row that I've been excited about the Oilers. For those of you who follow history, you know that they have given me reason to stop paying attention by the previous five Novembers. But this year is different! Or probably not! Well, yes, it is.

Lackluster first game vs. St. Louis, so Todd McClellan has already juggled the lines. Connor McDavid had been centering Taylor Hall and Anton Slepyshev. Tonight, apparently, he'll be between Benoit Pouliot and Lauri Korpikoski. Not sure what Korpikoski is going to bring there. Would rather see Nail Yakupov, who had a very good game on the third line on Thursday. Or Leon Draisatl, who is puzzlingly in the AHL at the moment. Whatever. It's early, and McClellan is still learning about his team.

I know that there's some McDavid interest in the Swamp, so feel free to chime in with your thoughts as the season rolls along. Or you can just point and laugh at me for getting hoodwinked again and thinking that this team could ever make the playoffs. (They won't. Their defense won't allow it.)
Last edited by bapo! on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Edmonton Oilers/McDavid's rookie year

Post by sancarlos »

Surprised that they wouldn't keep McDavid with the top skill level players. Edmonton was completely outplayed by St. Louis. It will be interesting to see if they do better second time out.

Jack Eichel scored in his first game. Max Domi did, and Dylan Larkin, too. Anthony Duclaire had an assist in his first game. And a rookie for the Sharks you've probably never heard of, Joonas Donskoi scored in his first game (he is 23 and won the top Finnish league's version of the Conn Smythe this spring). So, Connor McDavid is probably chomping at the bit for his own breakout...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Connor McDavid scored his first NHL goal vs. Dallas last night, a nice little deflected shot. He and Yakupov played well together. But the defense was nonexistent. Anders Nilsson started in goal and stopped 48 out of 51 mothereffing shots.

They're 0-3, and it doesn't get easier. St. Louis again tomorrow night, then Calgary Saturday and Vancouver Sunday. This could get bad. But hey, they're going to wear their new orange jerseys tomorrow night. Yay?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Tons of yay! I like the orange jersey.

Regarding them being 0-3, and your comment in the other thread about the Pens, it is so early in the season. Everybody's freaking out like this is the EPL and Big Sam Allardyce is going to solve all of your team's problems.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

govmentchedda wrote:Regarding them being 0-3, and your comment in the other thread about the Pens, it is so early in the season. Everybody's freaking out like this is the EPL and Big Sam Allardyce is going to solve all of your team's problems.
Yeah, I know that it's early, but there's no reason to believe that the defense will even be average at any point this season. Talbot and Nilsson have had three good games in goal, but if they're going to face 50+ shots, there's only so much they can do. And I'd rather have Todd McClellan than Allardyce.

As for the Penguins, I don't know what's going on. Some media are reporting that the players are tuning out Mike Johnston. I'm always suspicious whenever I hear this kind of thing. How does a reporter know this? Also, this has been a recurring theme dating back to the early Lemieux years, when the Penguins fired coaches on a yearly basis. It's a perennial story.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

govmentchedda wrote:Everybody's freaking out like this is the EPL and Big Sam Allardyce is going to solve all of your team's problems.
You're right, this is the NHL but John Tottorella just took a job so they're fucked.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bapo! wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Regarding them being 0-3, and your comment in the other thread about the Pens, it is so early in the season. Everybody's freaking out like this is the EPL and Big Sam Allardyce is going to solve all of your team's problems.
Yeah, I know that it's early, but there's no reason to believe that the defense will even be average at any point this season. Talbot and Nilsson have had three good games in goal, but if they're going to face 50+ shots, there's only so much they can do. And I'd rather have Todd McClellan than Allardyce.

As for the Penguins, I don't know what's going on. Some media are reporting that the players are tuning out Mike Johnston. I'm always suspicious whenever I hear this kind of thing. How does a reporter know this? Also, this has been a recurring theme dating back to the early Lemieux years, when the Penguins fired coaches on a yearly basis. It's a perennial story.
I guess my point is that Edmonton wasn't supposed to be good this year, McDavid isn't really the second coming. And, in Pittsburgh, it's too early to tell. Both teams have defensive issues.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

govmentchedda wrote:
bapo! wrote:

I guess my point is that Edmonton wasn't supposed to be good this year, McDavid isn't really the second coming. And, in Pittsburgh, it's too early to tell. Both teams have defensive issues.
Hey, the Pens picked up Phil Kessel. What could possibly go wrong?
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:McDavid isn't really the second coming.
Shut your blasphemous mouth!

We should all hope and pray that he returns us to the glory days of the Smythe when a game was won 6-4.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know, Taylor Hall for Dan Girardi would work for everyone involved if you except the Oilers franchise.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I would not object to a team with Hall and Nash
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Ryan wrote:I would not object to a team with Hall and Nash
How would they handle Hollywood Stepan's heel turn?

Speaking of Hall, he ate his first banana a couple of months ago. He tweeted about it, said that the texture had scared him away. Bananas are pretty much a perfect food. How does a professional athlete go 23 years without eating a banana?

In his original deleted tweet, he mentioned that he had trouble opening the banana. Somebody commented, 'Finding out that Taylor Hall is dumber than fruit is the reason that I'm on Twitter.'

Hall also failed an open-book boating test. Quite an eventful offseason for him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its nice when someone who looks like a complete dummy turns out to be a complete dummy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

mister d wrote:Its nice when someone who looks like a complete dummy turns out to be a complete dummy.
Yet he's much better at his job than Ross Ohlendorf is at his. And he's rich enough that he can hire somebody to open his bananas for him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

File that one in the euphemism folder.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

This conversation reminds me of a passage from David Halberstam's 'Breaks of the Game.' (Read it. You probably don't think that you need to read a book about the late-'70s Portland Trailblazers, but it's so much more than that. Great, great book.) Anyway, one of the Blazers played college basketball with Dave Winfield.
“You just don't know how lucky you are,” Winfield told Brewer. “You've got nothing there but people that went to college and you have all those people to talk to. You just don't know what it's like to be on a baseball team. Loneliest thing you can imagine.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Funny that the first rookie hat trick of the season comes not from McDavid or Eichel, but from Anthony Duclaire.

Coyotes could be fun to watch.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote:Funny that the first rookie hat trick of the season comes not from McDavid or Eichel, but from Anthony Duclaire.

Coyotes could be fun to watch.
I was thrilled to read about Duclair's hat trick. (Domi scored another goal in that game, too.) But remember that Duclair and Domi are 20 and had a couple of extra seasons in juniors. That's a whole lot different than entering the league at 18.

(It's strange to suddenly be interested in the Coyotes after ignoring them for the first two decades of their existence.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I admit to feeling a pang of guilt any time I mention Duclair. Sorry, d.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Man, three-game winning streaks are fun. The Oilers actually look like a capable hockey team now. (Cam Talbot might be making them look better than they are; he's bailed out the defensemen more than a few times.)

McDavid and Yakupov are playing very well together. McDavid had another great goal last night. He has 4 goals and 2 assists thru 7 games. (He made a ridiculous play against Calgary that might have ended up the play of the year if Hiller hadn't robbed him.)

Hall looks better and better. I'm excited about watching him play for a team that might actually have something to play for.

The Oilers are filling me with optimism. This can only end in tears.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote:Man, three-game winning streaks are fun. The Oilers actually look like a capable hockey team now. (Cam Talbot might be making them look better than they are; he's bailed out the defensemen more than a few times.)

McDavid and Yakupov are playing very well together. McDavid had another great goal last night. He has 4 goals and 2 assists thru 7 games. (He made a ridiculous play against Calgary that might have ended up the play of the year if Hiller hadn't robbed him.)

Hall looks better and better. I'm excited about watching him play for a team that might actually have something to play for.

Yeah, McDavid did a hockey version of a pick and roll last night, at full speed, with a great finish. Kid might just make it in this league.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:Man, three-game winning streaks are fun. The Oilers actually look like a capable hockey team now. (Cam Talbot might be making them look better than they are; he's bailed out the defensemen more than a few times.)

I have tentative plans to see the Oilers play the Pens the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:I have tentative plans to see the Oilers play the Pens the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to it.
Tickets are still available, and I keep debating going. I know that I should. (I'll leave the Oilers jersey at home.)

As always, let me know when you're in town if you want to imbibe something gluten-free.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:
Sabo wrote:I have tentative plans to see the Oilers play the Pens the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to it.
Tickets are still available, and I keep debating going. I know that I should. (I'll leave the Oilers jersey at home.)

As always, let me know when you're in town if you want to imbibe something gluten-free.
My friend bought season tickets this year and asked me which game I wanted to attend. The Oilers seemed like a good choice.

I'll definitely give you a shout. Maybe we can go to the Mad Mex since we bailed on it that one evening. Either that or we can go to Piper's Pub and watch soccer all afternoon.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:Piper's Pub
Just sent out a feeler to a friend about tickets. Sabo, Piper's Pub, and Oilers/Pens all in one day? That's like a solid month's worth of excitement for me.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:
Sabo wrote:Piper's Pub
Just sent out a feeler to a friend about tickets. Sabo, Piper's Pub, and Oilers/Pens all in one day? That's like a solid month's worth of excitement for me.
Sounds like a plan! My friend says he'll probably join us at Piper's. He's a cool cat despite being a Chelsea fan.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Fabregas plays for Chelsea now, so you can't hate them too much. Well, you probably can.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:Fabregas plays for Chelsea now, so you can't hate them too much. Well, you probably can.
I can. Fabregas's greatness is canceled out by Diego Costa's douchiness. And it's just darned fun to see Mourinho implode like he has this year.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:
bapo! wrote:Fabregas plays for Chelsea now, so you can't hate them too much. Well, you probably can.
I can. Fabregas's greatness is canceled out by Diego Costa's douchiness. And it's just darned fun to see Mourinho implode like he has this year.
I can't disagree with any of this.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bapo! wrote:
Sabo wrote:
Thirded. All in favor?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This looks just like 80% of the goals I score in NHL 95.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean ... what ... 97% of NHL forwards don't let him get through there, right?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:I mean ... what ... 97% of NHL forwards don't let him get through there, right?
That is the pick and roll I was mentioning. Watch how McDavid leans into his defender and seals him off, then skates away from him toward the net to receive the pass. That's not bad defense. That's setting up your defender.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He sealed off a "defender" who has zero interested in not getting sealed off. Richards' ideal rush right there is remaining even or trailing so he can use his stick rather than his body. I guess if one thing surprises me there its that Richards didn't try to change instead of get back.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote:
bapo! wrote:
Sabo wrote:
Thirded. All in favor?
I'm a Chelsea fan, but I actually agree with a lot of that. But while Mourinho's whininess is pretty funny, the crappy play hasn't been fun. Lately, it looks like they're starting to put things together though.

Back to your hockey talk...
Totally Kafkaesque
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Shirley and Jerloma are posting in hockey threads. McDavid is even better than I thought! Or, maybe Jose Mourinho is really that much of a d-bag.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

The Oilers called up Darnell Nurse and Leon Draisatl, so they've somehow gotten even younger. And they're getting thrown right into it. Nurse has played about 19 minutes in each of his two games. Draisatl is playing on Hall and Nuge's line, and he scored two goals last night, including the game-winner with about a minute remaining. So much crazy young talent on this team.

I shouldn't be surprised, but McDavid's play has been even better than I was expecting. He's already a good NHL player, not just a talented 18-year-old who might be really solid one day. His possession numbers are very good, he creates something on almost every shift, he's getting power-play and penalty-killing minutes. A couple of nights ago, he led all Edmonton skaters, even defensemen, in minutes. He's the real thing.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote:The Oilers called up Darnell Nurse and Leon Draisatl, so they've somehow gotten even younger. And they're getting thrown right into it. Nurse has played about 19 minutes in each of his two games. Draisatl is playing on Hall and Nuge's line, and he scored two goals last night, including the game-winner with about a minute remaining. So much crazy young talent on this team.

I shouldn't be surprised, but McDavid's play has been even better than I was expecting. He's already a good NHL player, not just a talented 18-year-old who might be really solid one day. His possession numbers are very good, he creates something on almost every shift, he's getting power-play and penalty-killing minutes. A couple of nights ago, he led all Edmonton skaters, even defensemen, in minutes. He's the real thing.
I heard a good commentary on McDavid on teevee from (of all people) Keith Jones. He said that he started slow in the first two games because he was deferring to Hall and others. Then, probably because he was encouraged to do so, he finally became more assertive and started playing his own game, really showing what he can do.

And, Draisatl and Nurse seemed in over their heads at the NHL level last year, but Draisatl scored two goals last night. So, if all these young kids can really mature and develop together (like Oil fans have been waiting for, for five years), this could be a really fun team.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote:I heard a good commentary on McDavid on teevee from (of all people) Keith Jones. He said that he started slow in the first two games because he was deferring to Hall and others. Then, probably because he was encouraged to do so, he finally became more assertive and started playing his own game, really showing what he can do.
That makes sense. Or it could just be a better fit with linemates. Hall wants to control the puck, even tho he's a left wing. That doesn't do McDavid any good. So, now Hall is back with Nugent-Hopkins, who is willing to defer to him more often. And McDavid and Yakupov are really clicking.

(This is the kind of stuff that makes hockey fun. Unless you're a Penguins fan, and you have to listen to talk-show hosts crying, 'Why can't they get a winger for Sid?')

McDavid is living with Hall, by the way. I hope that Hall has learned to cook more than Kraft Dinner.