Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess and other Board Games Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess and other Board Games Thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:49 am Pretty much done. 4' x 6'. Fits 6 people easily. I need to buy chairs. And I need something to cover the seams. I'll also probably add some Alexa enabled LED lights too. Under the table is a surge proctor with USB inputs.

Those random pieces of wood are half inch wide spacers. I misjudged the insert by an inch on each side, so it doesn't sit completely flush. Needed filler. No biggie.

Each tray is 4" x 7". I made some wood blocks so you can angle your cell phone in a tray.

And it's a topper. I can remove it and use my dining table underneath.

Holy shit that's cool. Nice game collection in the background too.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Great work Johnnie. Legit looks like something you could post on Kickstarter and get thousands of people to sign up.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I wanna play some D&D on that table.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 am I wanna play some D&D on that table.
Ditto.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 am I wanna ...lay some D... on that table.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(That is a bad ass table.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess Thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:14 pm
travzilla wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Not to threadjack too hard, but since someone mentioned Hive...

Do we have any other swampers that like board games? Specifically Euro games or anything of that sort? We've really gotten into it the last 2 years or so and play tabletops regularly.
I wouldn't say we're hardcore by any means, but we just discovered an actual board game shop in town, and I had no idea there was so many quality games beyond the regular crap at Target or Toys R Us. It's basically like living in a world of Coors Light and then discovering craft beer is a thing.

What we've gotten so far:

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've been really happy with all of these, but I'm most excited for Twilight Struggle. We've only tried it once, basically just learning the rules. It pretty much looks like Risk but way more advanced and with real history folded in.
Nice, I had the opportunity to buy Twilight Struggle but didnt and now I can't find it anywhere.

We've got:

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Dead of Winter (Still haven't played this)
Suburbia
Stone Age
Power Grid
Five Tribes
Dominion
Plus a few other smaller card/microgames

Your beer analogy is spot on. I got pulled into it a few years back by someone getting me to play Ticket to Ride. Of course I was too cool for school and went "a game about trains? yea, I'll play if there's beer I guess. *roll eyes*" -- I was oh so very wrong.
Is anyone interested in playing Twilight Struggle these days? I’m just getting into it, and they have it on Steam.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
travzilla wrote:

Do we have any other swampers that like board games? Specifically Euro games or anything of that sort? We've really gotten into it the last 2 years or so and play tabletops regularly.
I wouldn't say we're hardcore by any means, but we just discovered an actual board game shop in town, and I had no idea there was so many quality games beyond the regular crap at Target or Toys R Us. It's basically like living in a world of Coors Light and then discovering craft beer is a thing.

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've been really happy with all of these, but I'm most excited for Twilight Struggle. We've only tried it once, basically just learning the rules. It pretty much looks like Risk but way more advanced and with real history folded in.
Nice, I had the opportunity to buy Twilight Struggle but didnt and now I can't find it anywhere.

We've got:

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Suburbia
Stone Age
Power Grid
Five Tribes
Dominion

Your beer analogy is spot on. I got pulled into it a few years back by someone getting me to play Ticket to Ride. Of course I was too cool for school and went "a game about trains? yea, I'll play if there's beer I guess. *roll eyes*" -- I was oh so very wrong.
Is anyone interested in playing Twilight Struggle these days? I’m just getting into it, and they have it on Steam.
Yes. I'd love to learn it. How does it play on the computer?

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 am
travzilla wrote:

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've got:

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Suburbia
Stone Age
Power Grid
Five Tribes
Dominion

It plays pretty well on the computer. The biggest downside is that the game board is pretty big, so it's hard to see the whole thing on the screen.

But I think it would be hard to learn the game on the computer. It's really a convoluted game with lots of picky rules. I learned the game play in person and since then have played against the AI on Steam.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am
travzilla wrote:

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've got:

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Suburbia
Stone Age
Power Grid
Five Tribes
Dominion

It plays pretty well on the computer. The biggest downside is that the game board is pretty big, so it's hard to see the whole thing on the screen.

But I think it would be hard to learn the game on the computer. It's really a convoluted game with lots of picky rules. I learned the game play in person and since then have played against the AI on Steam.
If we could figure out a way to make it work I'd be all about it.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am
travzilla wrote:

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've got:

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Suburbia
Stone Age
Power Grid
Five Tribes
Dominion

If we could figure out a way to make it work I'd be all about it.
How well versed are you with Steam? I am not - though my son is. I think we could set it up to play a game and also chat during the game. That way you could walk through the game play.

Also, the rules for Twilight are available online, so that helps.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone think the U.S. kid Caruana can take Magnus in the world championship?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/magnus-car ... 1541768301
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And I had no idea Joseph Gordon Leavitt was an OG Magic player:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm Anyone think the U.S. kid Caruana can take Magnus in the world championship?
Caruana lives in my neighborhood so I’ll root for him. First game was a draw — sounds like Carlsen probably should have won it based on the Guardian report.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My current favorite board game, Terraforming Mars, is on Steam for $25

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/11/ ... s-digital/
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

To cross some Swamp streams, Keith Law's Top 100 Board Games of 2018.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 pm To cross some Swamp streams, Keith Law's Top 100 Board Games of 2018.
Strange that Scythe didn't crack the top 100 and it's been a very popular game for a couple years now.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:27 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 pm To cross some Swamp streams, Keith Law's Top 100 Board Games of 2018.
Strange that Scythe didn't crack the top 100 and it's been a very popular game for a couple years now.
That has to be an oversight. Scythe is consistently a top rated game by nearly every person who rates games. Number 7 on BGG. And it inspired My Little Scythe. It also just had another expansion come out and the minis are getting upgrades. He doesn't have Viticulture either, but he has Charterstone so it's not a dig at Jamey Stegmaier. Completely weird.

Edit:

Lolz

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Joe K wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:06 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm Anyone think the U.S. kid Caruana can take Magnus in the world championship?
Caruana lives in my neighborhood so I’ll root for him. First game was a draw — sounds like Carlsen probably should have won it based on the Guardian report.
3 games, 3 draws but commentary says game is starting to tilt toward Magnus.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

One of the new hotnesses in gaming is this card game called Keyforge. Created by the guy who created Magic: The Gathering, it's a "fix" for some of the secondary problems with Magic. Mainly, having to continuously buy cards that get really expensive on the secondary market.

Well, a large pool of cards was created and crafted into tens of thousands of unique decks. The concept is great. However, they used a random name generator, so the names of these decks turned out....weirdly. This would definitely be the official card game of RimWorld.

Here's a short list.

The Emperor that Pays for Boys is quite good. I'm hoping that even more names get released.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

io9 with a very good list:

16 Board Games to Help Survive Thanksgiving Week With Your Family

2 things: 1) The Mind is awesome. 2) Terraforming Mars is not Catan in space. There may be hexagonal tiles, but it's the literal opposite of what Catan is.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:27 pm Strange that Scythe didn't crack the top 100 and it's been a very popular game for a couple years now.
Finally pulled the trigger due to Black Friday/daily excellent prices from Card Haus.

Got it, its 3 expansions, and the pre order for the new encounters cards for $126 shipped & no tax. (There's free shipping on orders over $125, Black Friday took an extra 11% off.)

If you were to MSRP all those: $210 + tax + shipping.

Ridiculous deal. I'm ready to finally dive in.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am
Joe K wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:06 am
3 games, 3 draws but commentary says game is starting to tilt toward Magnus.
So every game has been a draw. Both have had a chance to take a game but could not close it out. If they draw again today, they move onto Blitz games for the title. If that still does not result in a winner. ARMAGEDDON Chess (even faster and a draw goes to Black, white gets an extra minute).

Also people think the Chess Championship logo is "Pawnagraphic"
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Magnus gets the first win of the championship in the first "rapid" game.

Interesting note, because the championship had to go to extra games, the pot changed from 60%-40% split to 55%-45%
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:04 pm Magnus gets the first win of the championship in the first "rapid" game.

Interesting note, because the championship had to go to extra games, the pot changed from 60%-40% split to 55%-45%
2-0 now. A draw takes the title
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:12 am
BSF21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:27 pm Strange that Scythe didn't crack the top 100 and it's been a very popular game for a couple years now.
Finally pulled the trigger due to Black Friday/daily excellent prices from Card Haus.

Got it, its 3 expansions, and the pre order for the new encounters cards for $126 shipped & no tax. (There's free shipping on orders over $125, Black Friday took an extra 11% off.)

If you were to MSRP all those: $210 + tax + shipping.

Ridiculous deal. I'm ready to finally dive in.
Scythe is currently $48 and change on Amazon. Maybe the lowest price I have seen it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yup. Outside of being able to stack multiple B&N coupons due to timing, that's the lowest according to Camel Camel Camel.

Luckily the additional discount, free shipping, and no tax from Card Haus during Black Friday allowed mine to be $47.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This cracks me the fuck up.

Someone trained an AI to generate (absurd but plausible) board game titles

Race to the Reich sounds like a fun little Nazi game where you're a wily, enterprising lad trying to establish a thousand year rule full of perfect little aryans!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Keith Law's latest:

The Best Board Games of 2018

It's not a very long list, but it does highlight some games that are awesome.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I know Magic isn't technically a board game, but Newsweek being given a card to announce during spoiler season for the new set seems like a big deal. Typically spoilers happen on the Magic website or on various blogs associated with the game.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

😂😂😂

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Finally played "Dead of Winter" with my buddy a few weeks ago. Need to try it with more people, but it was a neat game.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:23 pm Finally played "Dead of Winter" with my buddy a few weeks ago. Need to try it with more people, but it was a neat game.
The way it weaves a story into it is really cool too. I like that game a lot.

Plus if you're lucky you can have a dog wielding weapons that kills zombies. Which is hilarious.

However, I had both versions and the expansion, Warring Colonies, and had to sell at least the base game because it's just simply not getting enough play. Plus I have Battlestar Galactica and all of its expansions, so I'm good on games with a hidden traitor mechanic.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:47 pm
BSF21 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:23 pm Finally played "Dead of Winter" with my buddy a few weeks ago. Need to try it with more people, but it was a neat game.
The way it weaves a story into it is really cool too. I like that game a lot.

Plus if you're lucky you can have a dog wielding weapons that kills zombies. Which is hilarious.

However, I had both versions and the expansion, Warring Colonies, and had to sell at least the base game because it's just simply not getting enough play. Plus I have Battlestar Galactica and all of its expansions, so I'm good on games with a hidden traitor mechanic.
Yea there’s no traitor in 2 player it’s straight coop so I feel like we didn’t get the full experience

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nice to see the New York Times highlight Elizabeth Hargrave for her board game Wingspan.

She Invented a Board Game With Scientific Integrity. It’s Taking Off.

This game is on my short list of stuff to acquire. Definitely a game that's easy to teach and fun to play:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So I think I have mentioned my public library lets you check out board games. So tonight my son and I were at the bibliotheca and found 2 fun ones.

First was Castle Panic. Nice cooperative tower defense game. Easy and quick.

The other is Fortune and Glory. Looks good and comes with a CD soundtrack to give you music as your play. The game is very Indiana Jonesy without the license to use his name and characters. Plus zommbies, yettis, bar fights, Nazis, and Asian singer with cunning knife skills
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nice! And Castle Panic has some good expansions too. So, so cool your library has games like that.

Tonight I played a game called Black Orchestra. A co-op like Pandemic but with a better theme: you and everyone playing are co-conspirators that try to kill Hitler. And it's historically accurate too because characters you choose from are ones that actually plotted against him in real life.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And from last summer:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Most recent library borrows
Smallworld- my son and his buddy really like it.
Beat the parents- perfect for my 9 year old daughter and family game night
Flash point- my favorite. My son and I have lost every time in this cooperative game, but quick and enjoyable
Eldritch Horror-looks super compliy and 3 to 4 hour game play has me intimidated to try it out.