Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess and other Board Games Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess and other Board Games Thread

Post by L-Jam3 »

AEM and LJam4 have been playing a lot of checkers lately, and I'm thinking I could at least start to teach chess, one piece a week, to Ava (7). Little Man is only 4, so he's probably a bit young, right? I'm trying to remember, and I think my Dad taught me when I was 8 or 9 or so.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess Thread

Post by A_B »

You could probably teach the basic movements to both but any strategy might be more difficult for the 4 year old.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

A really good game that could be a stepping stone to chess is Hive. Fairly simple to learn, but tons of strategy and thinking ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hive_(game)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm still ripping it up on chess.com ("boybleu") if anyone wants to rumble.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote:AEM and LJam4 have been playing a lot of checkers lately, and I'm thinking I could at least start to teach chess, one piece a week, to Ava (7). Little Man is only 4, so he's probably a bit young, right? I'm trying to remember, and I think my Dad taught me when I was 8 or 9 or so.
the answer is this
No Stress Chess (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Starts as a simple card game that shows them the moves. Then it evolves over time to letting them play the whole game properly. Taught my son and daughter how to play at 4 using it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Not to threadjack too hard, but since someone mentioned Hive...

Do we have any other swampers that like board games? Specifically Euro games or anything of that sort? We've really gotten into it the last 2 years or so and play tabletops regularly.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Not to threadjack too hard, but since someone mentioned Hive...

Do we have any other swampers that like board games? Specifically Euro games or anything of that sort? We've really gotten into it the last 2 years or so and play tabletops regularly.
I always enjoyed playing Axis & Allies, but it's not nearly as fun with just one other person.

And while it isn't a true board game, I wish I could find a group of people who would like to get a Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game going.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

I wouldn't say we're hardcore by any means, but we just discovered an actual board game shop in town, and I had no idea there was so many quality games beyond the regular crap at Target or Toys R Us. It's basically like living in a world of Coors Light and then discovering craft beer is a thing.

What we've gotten so far:

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've been really happy with all of these, but I'm most excited for Twilight Struggle. We've only tried it once, basically just learning the rules. It pretty much looks like Risk but way more advanced and with real history folded in.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

travzilla wrote:

I wouldn't say we're hardcore by any means, but we just discovered an actual board game shop in town, and I had no idea there was so many quality games beyond the regular crap at Target or Toys R Us. It's basically like living in a world of Coors Light and then discovering craft beer is a thing.

What we've gotten so far:

Pandemic
Forbidden Desert
Hive
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Struggle
Dominion

We've been really happy with all of these, but I'm most excited for Twilight Struggle. We've only tried it once, basically just learning the rules. It pretty much looks like Risk but way more advanced and with real history folded in.
Nice, I had the opportunity to buy Twilight Struggle but didnt and now I can't find it anywhere.

We've got:

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Dead of Winter (Still haven't played this)
Suburbia
Stone Age
Power Grid
Five Tribes
Dominion
Plus a few other smaller card/microgames

Your beer analogy is spot on. I got pulled into it a few years back by someone getting me to play Ticket to Ride. Of course I was too cool for school and went "a game about trains? yea, I'll play if there's beer I guess. *roll eyes*" -- I was oh so very wrong.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Getting into them.

Kingdom Builder is a lot of fun.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess and other Board Games Thr

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I love me some Dominion, but the regular games at my local store kinda ground to a halt.

Also a fan of Stone Age, Kingdom Builder (good app for that one), Memoir 44 (simplistic war game that can be played in an hour), Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Pandemic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife has been pushing for the family to start playing Settlers of Catan more. It seems like an interesting game, based on the few times we've played.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I started watching Wil Wheaton's TableTop show hostd by Geek & Sundry on YouTube. Picked up Carcassonne and the girls enjoyed it. As did I. The wife not so much. Saw Ticket to Ride and almost got it. There are a few others that have been mentioned up thread that I would also love to get. I also want to get a really nice game table, but mama duff has been a kibosh on that. Need to get useful furniture first she said.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote:I started watching Wil Wheaton's TableTop show hostd by Geek & Sundry on YouTube. Picked up Carcassonne and the girls enjoyed it. As did I. The wife not so much. Saw Ticket to Ride and almost got it. There are a few others that have been mentioned up thread that I would also love to get. I also want to get a really nice game table, but mama duff has been a kibosh on that. Need to get useful furniture first she said.
Forgot Carcassonne. I like that one.

Ticket to Ride is probably the simplest of these games and the easiest to get people to play if they have no patience for learning new games (such as my inlaws). We have modified a couple of the rules to make it less cutthroat - even though the game is not really that cutthroat to begin with.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son and I play a fair bit of ticket to ride. We play memoir 44 online.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I played Carcassone a few weeks ago with some of my friend's kids that are crazy for games like this. I enjoyed it a lot.

Have at it, Mr. D.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Forgot about Carcassone. We've got a few expansions for that one too. Always a good time.

As far as ones on IOS, I picked up Agricola on sale a few weeks ago. But of a learning curve but it's fun.

If Johnnie is in here browsing, have you played Hearthstone? It's a guilty pleasure of mine. Very similar to Magic the Gathering. I also just backed Scythe on Kickstarter, so I'm excited to get that next year. Looked very complex and fun.

How's the learning curve on Memoir 44? I've almost picked up the board game but I don't think WW combat is apt to hit the interest of BSFGF.

elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

parcheesi
monopoly
chinese chekers
settlers of catan

those are the regular games

tried go get into zombies (thanks Zumba)
the boy and i play chess semi-regularly --he's 9, does chess club at school (got kicked out at the Y for being too demonstrative when he won)

on chess.com.. i'm jcbb... although haven't played in a while.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

BSF21 wrote:If Johnnie is in here browsing, have you played Hearthstone? It's a guilty pleasure of mine. Very similar to Magic the Gathering. I also just backed Scythe on Kickstarter, so I'm excited to get that next year. Looked very complex and fun.
I had to uninstall Hearthstone from my PC and phone b/c it was consuming too much of my time. Brought me back to my MtG days. It is very fun, but felt that you had to pay to end up getting anything worth while. I also spent some time watching Hunter Pence stream on Twitch while playing Hearthstone. He dropped at least $300 on decks to open so he could get the best cards.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

BSF21 wrote:How's the learning curve on Memoir 44? I've almost picked up the board game but I don't think WW combat is apt to hit the interest of BSFGF.
From what I understand, Memoir 44 uses the same mechanics as Battle Cry, a Civil War game from the same company which I've played. It's a little more involved than mass-market board games, but not overly complex and should "click" for you after one or two sessions.

I'd be down for anyone here wanting to get an online/correspondence game going for any of these or even an RPG. I've always liked stuff like this but don't have too many family/friends with the same interests.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

As far as app versions are concerned, Carcassonne is my favorite--just an awesome time killer. App version of Ticket to Ride is pretty good too.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote:
BSF21 wrote:If Johnnie is in here browsing, have you played Hearthstone? It's a guilty pleasure of mine. Very similar to Magic the Gathering. I also just backed Scythe on Kickstarter, so I'm excited to get that next year. Looked very complex and fun.
I had to uninstall Hearthstone from my PC and phone b/c it was consuming too much of my time. Brought me back to my MtG days. It is very fun, but felt that you had to pay to end up getting anything worth while. I also spent some time watching Hunter Pence stream on Twitch while playing Hearthstone. He dropped at least $300 on decks to open so he could get the best cards.

I haven't allowed myself to install it on the computer. The tablet limits me to gaming after work hours mostly. It certainly is a grind. I haven't spent any real money but still enjoy myself, especially Arena mode where everyone is on a level field.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
BSF21 wrote:How's the learning curve on Memoir 44? I've almost picked up the board game but I don't think WW combat is apt to hit the interest of BSFGF.
From what I understand, Memoir 44 uses the same mechanics as Battle Cry, a Civil War game from the same company which I've played. It's a little more involved than mass-market board games, but not overly complex and should "click" for you after one or two sessions.

I'd be down for anyone here wanting to get an online/correspondence game going for any of these or even an RPG. I've always liked stuff like this but don't have too many family/friends with the same interests.
I'm all over something like that.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm here. As far as Hearthstone goes, I do not play. My bro Spivey does though. He has a Twitch page and livestreams. And he does a podcast for it: http://sixteenhundreddust.podbean.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this is his site: http://playingforcheaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's tried to get me to play, but work and the gym got me tired. Plus the damn time difference sucks.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:

I'm all over something like that.
Memoir has a very short learning curve.

In other words, it didn't take me very long to learn I'm not very good at it. No matter how many times I try the Sword Beach scenario at the Allies, I can't ever beat Cadet Johnnie.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:]

I always enjoyed playing Axis & Allies, but it's not nearly as fun with just one other person.
when my son was born, I had my parents bring my A&A and Fortress America games, just waiting for him to grow into it. We've played Stratego a number of times, and I try to teach him strategies as we progress, but he gets frustrated that he can't win. I was hoping he'd take to Stratego, the we could move on to A&A. He is very interested in history, and reads a ton of historical fiction. A couple weeks ago he randomly started talking about the Bay of Pigs invasion. We delved pretty deep into specifics, took it through the Cuban Missile Crisis, the embargo, and how Cuban auto mechanics must be geniuses to keep 1950's Chevy's running without replacement parts. After all that, he asked why the Bay of Pigs invaders used pigs to launch at Castro. So close...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote:
Sabo wrote:]

when my son was born, I had my parents bring my A&A and Fortress America games, just waiting for him to grow into it. We've played Stratego a number of times, and I try to teach him strategies as we progress, but he gets frustrated that he can't win. I was hoping he'd take to Stratego, the we could move on to A&A. He is very interested in history, and reads a ton of historical fiction. A couple weeks ago he randomly started talking about the Bay of Pigs invasion. We delved pretty deep into specifics, took it through the Cuban Missile Crisis, the embargo, and how Cuban auto mechanics must be geniuses to keep 1950's Chevy's running without replacement parts. After all that, he asked why the Bay of Pigs invaders used pigs to launch at Castro. So close...
How long does it take to play a game of A&A? I've heard good things about it, but I don't know if my son would have the patience for it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

When I played in high school i would have 1-2 friends over and we'd typically play until 2-3 AM, then leave the board set up and come back to it when we woke up. You can do things to speed up the game, but we wanted the realistic experience. One time we even left it set up for a full week and finished the next friday.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote:When I played in high school i would have 1-2 friends over and we'd typically play until 2-3 AM, then leave the board set up and come back to it when we woke up. You can do things to speed up the game, but we wanted the realistic experience. One time we even left it set up for a full week and finished the next friday.
Yeah, it's definitely a long-term game, but you can stop and start playing at any time as long as you can leave the board set up.
The Sybian wrote:We've played Stratego a number of times, and I try to teach him strategies as we progress, but he gets frustrated that he can't win.
My friend and I came up with a rule change in Stratego and called it "Nuclear Stratego". Each player was given one quarter and could throw it on the board. Any pieces that fell over were eliminated from the game. We quickly found that throwing the quarter down flat would knock over the most pieces.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: How long does it take to play a game of A&A? I've heard good things about it, but I don't know if my son would have the patience for it.
Games can take a long time. I mostly played as a kid, so I'm sure it'd go faster as an adult, but it could take 8 hours. We usually left the board and came back another day. We had to be careful to keep it locked in a room to keep the cat out. Cats are assholes. I don't know if we ever actually finished off a game without a surrender. It takes forever to capture Japan if they stockpile infantry in the homeland. Same with England.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

[quote="Sabo"

We quickly found that throwing the quarter down flat would knock over the most pieces.[/quote]

Strategy!
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
Sabo wrote:
We quickly found that throwing the quarter down flat would knock over the most pieces.
Strategy!
I've always found that blowing the quarter up about a half mile over the game board achieves maximum effect.

That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Carcassonne
Catane

We also play
- Saboteur (dwarfs digging for gold or trying to prevent it from being found) : fun and Quick but better if you are a lot
- Takenoko (growing bamboos for pandas to eat. Yeah sound stupid but it s fun)
- citadels is really great but once again, better in groups
- lost cities is quite fun if you re looking for a 15-min game for two
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

That French Guy wrote: - lost cities is quite fun if you re looking for a 15-min game for two
Ever try Pente?

Sort of a mix of Go and Tic-Tac-Toe.

You play on a big board that looks like a Go board object is either getting 5 stones in a row or capturing 5 pairs of your opponents stones. used to play a crapload, and a long game takes maybe 20 minutes.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Checkmate, Bitches! The Chess and other Board Games Thread

Post by Johnnie »

Wizards of the Coast (M:tG owner, and part of Hasbro) is headquartered in Seattle.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting timing ... 5 year old is getting into checkers, playing home and at school. Proper way to play her is letting her know kids aren't expected to beat adults, explaining moves / non-moves then beating her, right? So far it's working (on a pretty sensitive kid), but who knows for how long.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just bought Go - looking forward to learning it. Any tips?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:Just bought Go - looking forward to learning it. Any tips?
Be an 85yo Japanese man?

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Interesting timing ... 5 year old is getting into checkers, playing home and at school. Proper way to play her is letting her know kids aren't expected to beat adults, explaining moves / non-moves then beating her, right? So far it's working (on a pretty sensitive kid), but who knows for how long.
Sure. But occasionally make a mistake.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A ha! I knew we had a thread and I knew I had previously posted in it.

Anyhoo, a mention of "game night" a few weeks back along with an Amazon deal got me into thinking about and playing more games.

I had watched a few episodes of the aforementioned Tabletop on YouTube before to kill time, but recently I got back into it, plowing through many more episodes.

During the Amazon deal I bought (with some influence from Wil Wheaton):

Coup (and its expansion)
Resistance
America the board game (duh)
Ticket to Ride Europe

Unfortunately people's schedules and plans conflict, so we haven't gotten to play those. However, there's a place in town where you can play board games for 3 bucks per person per hour. The gf and I went. We played Splendor, Lost Cities, and Takenoko. We had a blast playing them. And we'll keep going back.

So naturally I'm reading up on other games I want to acquire. Tokaido (and its expansions), Secret Hitler, and Sons of Anarchy (and its expansions) are amongst them. Saw the first on Tabletop. The second was a suggestion because I bought the other games. The last was a topic on the board games subreddit yesterday. It has great reviews and is cheap. So...Why not?

Then I had an idea for a game. Basically, you're a CEO and you have to deal with PR crises, government oversight and intervention, economic downturns, media watchdogs, scandals, acquisitions and mergers..etc. If you have to resign, you lose. And I think if you can buy out all the other corporations in the game (your opponents), you win. I'm trying to fully flesh out the idea, but I get the feeling it has been done before.