Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:19 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 pm Anyone else think it's weird that the MOD never really reacted when Bran told them that Viserion was a wight and then when they made their plan to lure in the Night King with Bran and Theon of all people guarding him that they just didn't bring up the fact that he has his own dragon?
Thought it warranted a mention during the planning phase, yeah.

Though they didn’t mention what the “good” dragons would be up to, either. Maybe we missed the dragon part of the meeting.
That will be on the DVD extras for this season. The dragon subcommittee probably met immediately after the main group.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 pm Anyone else think it's weird that the MOD never really reacted when Bran told them that Viserion was a wight and then when they made their plan to lure in the Night King with Bran and Theon of all people guarding him that they just didn't bring up the fact that he has his own dragon?

Though they didn’t mention what the “good” dragons would be up to, either. Maybe we missed the dragon part of the meeting.
Jon said that they'll have the dragons close by for when the NK shows up. Although nobody even knows if dragon fire can kill him.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:52 pm Since we are in the speculation business...I think The Hound gets greviously wounded this coming week. And arya finds him lying near death again. Only this time she gives him mercy and puts him out of his misery. Then Cleganebowl is Arya-Mountain!
Been trying to guess which top line character (if any) is most likely to die this week, and I think it's Tyrion. Last week so heavily set up him doing something to redeem his time as Dany's Hand, and I don't think we really need another dramatic, wine-soaked confrontation between him and Cersei (I do think Jamie lives to see her one last time). I didn't think Arya was dying this week even before AB's great prediction above. Killing Dany or Jon seems like a cop out way to resolve what was supposed to be one of the key reveals of the entire series. Sansa or Bran, whatevs (but I like the pack is safe as long as it's together theory, and that seems the type of call back the showrunners love).

He's also the connecting tissue between just about every other major character (Sansa, Jon, Dany, Jamie & Cersei), so his death would provide a lot to work with in between the battle at Winterfell and the end of the series.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rass, you shut your mouth.

Also, damn. That makes sense.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brienne is five seconds from dead. I think Dany dies quick. her reaction to johns announcement was a flashing banner that her throne lust will consume her.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:23 am Rass, you shut your mouth.

He's also going to be in the crypts.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:48 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:23 am Rass, you shut your mouth.

He's also going to be in the crypts.
Yeah. The scene where Gilly and 'lil Sam are killed while Tyrion defends them is gonna be hard to take.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I guess some sources speculating that raised from the dead Starks the greater internal threat than wights coming in the tunnels with regard to the crypts. I...guess? I mean, it’s all fantasy but practically, won’t most bones under there be hard to reanimate given how long dead? Perhaps not. Gonna suck when headless Ned kills bran...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I wonder if this is going to be one of those things were the speculation was more clever (or at least more outlandish) than what the show goes for, and we just end up with wights finding a secret entrance to the crypts and no Stark-wights, and if so how disappointed everyone is going to be.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I would not be disappointed in that. For some reason, I feel like the ones that have been raised form the dead were likely killed by the bad guys and not long dead. That's what happened at Hardhome, it's not like he walked over the Hardhome Memorial Gardens and Mausoleum and raised a bunch of people.

But I don't know that with any certainty.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The secret entrance thing also wouldn’t disappoint me - and would feel more “plausible” ( to the extent one needs plausibility).

Also, just next to impossible to win a field battle where all your dead can be re-animated to join the battle for your opponent...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) That's why dragonglass is HUGE in defeating this enemy.

2) Fire.

3) Dragon type fire is an unknown, but they took out full human squadrons in the past. And these fuckers like to clump up when they attack. So I think those two factors will allow for some wholesale wight whacking.

=-=-=-=-=

It would be a pretty ridiculous plot point to allow the NK to reanimate the long since dead.

You would also think those fuckers at the Citadel would have some records on this stuff. As a person having not read one word of the books, I'm assuming there's a lot more to the Citadel in the written form. As it stands, I think they've kept the Citadel in an appropriately vague and detached role, because it could've EASILY been used in a lazy way to provide answers via maester knowledge along the way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here's another item that's been bugging me for multiple seasons. Why is Jaime CONSTANTLY catching shit for killing The Mad King? I mean, I get that it was a self-serving, literal back-stabbing maneuver... But that guy was a fucking asshole.

It doesn't really paint Dany in a very good light... No matter how terrible my father was, no one had any right to touch him because he was the king? That's not a very good overall world-view.

Again, I may be missing some nuance, but blind loyalty is not always a virtue.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, that's pretty much the thing that set the stage for the whole series.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Citadel isn't really in the books that much more than the show. Only for a few chapters when Sam shows up there.

The thing is, I think it's been 8,000 years since anyone in Westeros has seen a white walker. That's like asking us to be scared of some monster that the ancient Egyptians talked about as being long in their past. And the maesters seem very grounded in "science" and not magic. They are generally antagonistic to magic, so it makes sense that nobody has done research on the white walkers or wights in a very long time.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Good perspective.

I guess I'm not so much leaning on "The Citadel Should Know" as much as I'm pre-complaining that it just seems highly improbable that the NK can just reanimate EVERY dead creature in his proximity.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ok, one last thing (for now).

I get that for plot purposes (getting Jaime up to Winterfell), Tyrion had to eat shit with his mis-judging of Cersei, but...

Come. The. Fuck. On.

This is the guy that started off the series as BY FAR the most clever and cynical dude in Westeros. And he's just gonna trust her like that?? She changed because she's pregnant. The fuck outta here... That shit is pretty bad, from a character arc/stay true to the cannon of the show.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He's also told anyone who would listen that the ONLY thing Cersei cares about is her children. So it's not a terrible plot point, but I agree he has misplayed a bunch of hands lately, only for Dany to tell him she needs his mind so into the crypts he goes.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm The Citadel isn't really in the books that much more than the show. Only for a few chapters when Sam shows up there.
Didn't the last book start a storyline at the Citadel? (That obviously hasn't gone anywhere because Martin can't figure out what to do with his 40 storylines.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm The Citadel isn't really in the books that much more than the show. Only for a few chapters when Sam shows up there.
Didn't the last book start a storyline at the Citadel? (That obviously hasn't gone anywhere because Martin can't figure out what to do with his 40 storylines.)
A storyline other than Sam? I don't remember that. There was a one-off chapter with unnamed characters, but I was thinking that was in Oldtown and not specifically in The Citadel, but I could be wrong.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The one off chapters always ended with a death right? I’ve only read first three fully and then part of four granted. Just got more into the tv show.

ETA: the tv show has made Martin to rich to give a fuck. Those books are never gettting finished. He kind of admitted as much I think. Or at least admitted it neutered him a bit.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 pm
A storyline other than Sam? I don't remember that. There was a one-off chapter with unnamed characters, but I was thinking that was in Oldtown and not specifically in The Citadel, but I could be wrong.
Yes - he was starting a plot line with renegade maesters who believed Sam.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:22 pm

That will be on the DVD extras for this season. The dragon subcommittee probably met immediately after the main group.
That was basically the premise of this SNL skit
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 am
That was it. (But I was actually thinking of the murder in Oldtown.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:46 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 am
That was it. (But I was actually thinking of the murder in Oldtown.)
Yeah, the murder was the one I was thinking of. I don't really remember the renegade maesters.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pretty racist (and probably dumb) to use the Dothraki and Unsullied as cannon fodder (metaphorically).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

To give up air superiority like that was fucking ridiculous.

To charge into the darkness with your flame swords was really, really fucking dumb.

Jon again being the dumb hero taking on a dragon.

Dany being utterly useless.

So much wrong and annoying...

But Arya, man. Incredible. The music and everything.

Overall, the episode was a B-.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That was unquestionably one of the worst episodes of the whole series.

I really really hated it. Made no sense on so many levels.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Edit:

Last edited by Johnnie on Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm That was unquestionably one of the worst episodes of the whole series.

Well you think fruit salad doesn’t have melon, so....
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm That was unquestionably one of the worst episodes of the whole series.

What didn’t make sense? I liked the episode, not the best ever, but certainly not the worst or one of the worst of the series IMO.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well it doesn’t because that’s fucking stupid.

I’m telling you. That was a bad episode. Visually, narratives, it was not good. They compared it to helms deep and they shouldn’t have. It was not good and I will be vindicated. The dragon shit was top level bad.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm Well it doesn’t because that’s fucking stupid.

I’m telling you. That was a bad episode. Visually, narratives, it was not good. They compared it to helms deep and they shouldn’t have. It was not good and I will be vindicated. The dragon shit was top level bad.
Only compared to Helms Deep in length of battle. To each his own. Except on fruit salad. You’re still a mess on that one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 pm

What didn’t make sense? I liked the episode, not the best ever, but certainly not the worst or one of the worst of the series IMO.

How did people end up where they did? Oooh Jorah saves Dany! Oooh Arya shows up at last second! It was bad. This series shouldn’t end fighting Cersei. The first shot of the first season was the white walkers. They should have flipped the battles. Duck this.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm Well it doesn’t because that’s fucking stupid.

Only compared to Helms Deep in length of battle. To each his own. Except on fruit salad. You’re still a mess on that one.
Fuck fruit salad. You’re trying to be clever. this will go down as a bad episode I promise. It was bad to very bad.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I am apoplectic. This is a travesty. There are no stakes. Who gives a fuck at this point.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:54 pm
bfj wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 pm

How did people end up where they did? Oooh Jorah saves Dany! Oooh Arya shows up at last second! It was bad. This series shouldn’t end fighting Cersei. The first shot of the first season was the white walkers. They should have flipped the battles. Duck this.
That's a good point -- they better come up with some really good stuff for the Cersei battles, or the rest of the season will feel like an epilogue.

Maybe they're going for the same ending as the Lord of the Rings books, where after they defeat Sauron, there's about 100 more pages of hobbits fighting when they get back home.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Not much of an army left to battle the Lannisters and the Golden Company and the Iron Fleet.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They have zero dragons though.

I agree with AB for the most part. Feels like the final battle for the Iron Throne will be anti-climatic.