Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Don't worry...they can complain about this instead.
https://www.businessinsider.com/game-of ... ife-2019-5

Speaking of Catapults...read this years and years ago...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:43 pm Dorne has troops. And I would think motivation to kill Cersei.
Which I think is probably the single dumbest storyline in the whole series of books and TV. The Dornies want revenge? For Oberyn volunteering for mortal combat, trying to cheat, and then losing because he was too arrogant?

I mean, I get the idea of wanting revenge for Elia, but it seemed to me (maybe I'm remembering wrong) that Ellaria and the Sand Snakes wanted revenge for Oberyn, not Elia.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:39 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:43 pm Dorne has troops. And I would think motivation to kill Cersei.
Which I think is probably the single dumbest storyline in the whole series of books and TV. The Dornies want revenge? For Oberyn volunteering for mortal combat, trying to cheat, and then losing because he was too arrogant?

I mean, I get the idea of wanting revenge for Elia, but it seemed to me (maybe I'm remembering wrong) that Ellaria and the Sand Snakes wanted revenge for Oberyn, not Elia.
I mean, Cersei still has whatsherface in the King's Landing dungeon, no?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:54 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:39 pm

I mean, Cersei still has whatsherface in the King's Landing dungeon, no?
I had thought she poisoned her, but I think maybe you're right.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Poisoned the daughter. Ellaria was chained so she had to watch the daughter rot. Was going to be force fed and all that. Not sure of the timeline since that happened, but she's probably dead no?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:19 pm Poisoned the daughter. Ellaria was chained so she had to watch the daughter rot. Was going to be force fed and all that. Not sure of the timeline since that happened, but she's probably dead no?
Don’t assume anyone is dead unless you see them die.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Stannis!!!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:19 pm Poisoned the daughter. Ellaria was chained so she had to watch the daughter rot. Was going to be force fed and all that. Not sure of the timeline since that happened, but she's probably dead no?
Either way, that is a much more recent reasons for Dorne to literally be up in arms than what happened back in the day to Elia...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I thought they had soldiers as part of an invasion fleet that the Iron Fleet destroyed/captured, or was it just the royal family? The Lannisters talked about how both of the great houses against them had been destroyed. All of the Tyrells and Sands of consequence are dead. Who's next in line to be pissed?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was wondering that as well. I don’t think it was well established if euron destroyed their armies or just cAptured the main characters.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:48 pm I thought they had soldiers as part of an invasion fleet that the Iron Fleet destroyed/captured, or was it just the royal family? The Lannisters talked about how both of the great houses against them had been destroyed. All of the Tyrells and Sands of consequence are dead. Who's next in line to be pissed?
The rest of Dorne?

Their armies were not in the field.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm BTW, watching this again, some of you nerdnicks have shown remarkable restraint in not point out those are Trebuchets and not Catapults.
There were catapults also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rewatched with brightness up. Much better but still not perfect. But was able to see things I totally missed which helps.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess that concludes negotiations.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not really feeling this episode. More military blunder bullshit.

And not for nothing, if you're flying that high you can see everything. Ya know, like huge black ships in the middle of the water.

Honestly, Cersei killing everyone and then Arya killing her seems like the most reasonable conclusion at this point. Daeny seriously not letting the troops reconstitute is fucking absurd. Her getting jealous that Jon gets the glory is dumb. Arya was the hero and yet there she is shooting arrows not giving a shit.

I can't believe I'm going to watch the last two episodes just to see how the writing fairs. Oh well.

Edit.

And seriously. What the fuck is the point of Bran? Can't they have him warg into some bird, fly it south, and then learn that anti dragon crossbows were invented? Come the fuck on.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:03 pm And not for nothing, if you're flying that high you can see everything. Ya know, like huge black ships in the middle of the water.
Yup. So they need to even up the odds a bit (though the whole "is Dany going to just burn King's Landing to the ground" issue would be more suspenseful if she had two dragons, and if the dragons didn't seem so vulnerable all of a sudden) and to be fair, Cersei and crew have had plenty of notice at this point to come up with an anti-dragon weapon, but the execution (ha) was lacking.

Also not sure how I feel about Brienne being left sobbing in her bathrobe as her man rides away.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Beheading the one who speaks for the ruler near a big wall in front of a small group of emissaries was a little too on the nose for me, even if it was the bad guys who did it this time.

It's fair to say that LOTR laid the groundwork for an amazing amount of fantasy work overall. However, what ASOIAF had done so well in the books and early seasons subverted that, and now that it's out of Martin's hands, they are really being kind of lazy. Even with the arrows killing a dragon - I get it, there are not that many ways to kill a dragon - but Euron the Bowman, come on!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Your grace, they've invented this thing in the lands to the east beyond Bravos.

What is it?

Scouts.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I cannot wait until Dany is quartered and beheaded and then crucified. I have pure disdain for that character and I have since I read the books. The show makes her even worse. It isn't just the poor acting of Clarke. I just find her story arc tiresome and boring. They could have made her so much better. And fuck those dragons.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yuuuppppp....

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm also not convinced Rhaegal is dead. That interaction about seeing it shot seemed strange.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m pretty sure it’s dead.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm glad there's only a couple of more episodes left, because the show has definitely lost the plot. Dany once again gets ambushed by the Iron Fleet? Geez....couldn't see that one coming at all.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Who leaves their dog behind? Even I would make sure to take him with me wherever I go.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jon Snow deciding he needs to tell his stark family the ONE THING that Ned Stark didn't in all his honor is kinda stupid. I didn't think about it until reading some recaps at lunchtime, but yeah, if the most honest man in westeros kept that secret, maybe it's OK if Jon does too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Could be some rope a dope to lower expectations for the last couple episodes but whomever warned me that the show mostly went south after they ran out of source material from the books nailed it on the head. That was easily the worst episode of all eight seasons so far.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, not my favorite episode, but I think this kind of plot-moving was kind of necessary. It certainly got a bit soap-opery there for a bit with the mean mugs between Sansa, Dany, and others.

Also, I agree with others that the dragon went down too easily. Sure, you might get lucky with a crossbow shot, but probably not two or three right in a row. And, as others pointed out, if you can hit a dragon with a crossbow, you're not exactly hidden and it wouldn't be a surprise attack. That was lazy writing.

Lastly, it makes NO sense that Cersei wouldn't have tried to kill Dany and all of her peeps (and probably her dragon too) in that last confrontation. She had the high ground and tons of archers. Just light them up! Maybe they will figure out some way to explain why she didn't do that, but I doubt it. Again, lazy writing. Maybe the intent was that they were mostly out of arrow shot, but that angle didn't look good on camera? Hard to understand why it would have gone that way, especially since Cersei decided to start shit by beheading Missandei.

As for Jaime, I think it's pretty obvious that he's going to Kings Landing to kill Cersei. He didn't want Brienne coming along and possibly getting killed, so he sort of lied to her about his intentions.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:16 pm

As for Jaime, I think it's pretty obvious that he's going to Kings Landing to kill Cersei.
I feel like there has to be something with Arya taking his face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

They (the iron fleet)had more than one dragon bow. I thought that’s why he got hit so quickly and so often. How they all missed her on her kamikaze run is beyond me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So this is the episode right? Always been next to last. Then lay to sort through the ashes or the gold.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:54 pm They (the iron fleet)had more than one dragon bow. I thought that’s why he got hit so quickly and so often. How they all missed her on her kamikaze run is beyond me.
Not too get too physicsy here, but the idea of huge, rapid shot, accurate crossbows on ships is just stupid. The recoil from launching those huge bolts at those speeds would make the ships jerk around in the water, making it hard to hit anything. And then, once you fired, it would take quite a bit of setup to get the next bolt ready. There's a reason why crossbows never developed into large weapons like that.

I hope the writing is better for the next episode.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 pm I always assumed that was a pretty common take? At this point that whole ordeal accomplished nothing for the good guys but getting Jamie to the North and getting Arya laid.
Just one of many bits of bad advice from Tyrion and/or Jon.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Shirley wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 pm
bfj wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:54 pm They (the iron fleet)had more than one dragon bow. I thought that’s why he got hit so quickly and so often. How they all missed her on her kamikaze run is beyond me.
Not too get too physicsy here, but the idea of huge, rapid shot, accurate crossbows on ships is just stupid. The recoil from launching those huge bolts at those speeds would make the ships jerk around in the water, making it hard to hit anything. And then, once you fired, it would take quite a bit of setup to get the next bolt ready. There's a reason why crossbows never developed into large weapons like that.

Also, I don't think dragons are real.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:06 pm I'm glad there's only a couple of more episodes left, because the show has definitely lost the plot. Dany once again gets ambushed by the Iron Fleet? Geez....couldn't see that one coming at all.
Even Custer had advance scouts.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Why didn’t she just fly behind them and barbecue them before they could reset their aim.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The episode where Tyrion killed Tywin aired on Father’s Day. One of the two mothers (of Dragons or of two dead Kings) is dead tonight. Big limb.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Why didn’t she just fly behind them and barbecue them before they could reset their aim.
I assume they had pivots? And yeah, that should have worked, but they seemed to reload really quickly.

(And yes, I understand the show has dragons and magic. But that doesn't mean that it can just ignore all other logic. Part of what makes GoT great is that it is realistic in that way - e.g. good guys often die.)
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Have you seen the episodes since they ran out of source material?