Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by rass »

I liked it a lot. I think it was similarly setup-y to last week’s, but I enjoyed the little character moments more this week.

Convenient that both of Dany’s big conversations ended just as they got awkward, huh?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good timing, Aegon.

Great cynicism, Dany.

Man, she's such a bitch. Like Jon even wants the throne.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

This episode was so good. Gives me hope for the season, but I am sure it will be more about the large battles (which are amazing to watch but this series has always been about characters/relationships).
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Bran’s line to Jamie was the best. Nobody else in that room knew what it meant except the two of them.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From what I'm gathering around the nets, those crypts aren't as safe as people are making them out to be. A bunch of dead Starks rising and killing children would be insane.

I want to know what Bran and Tyrion talked about.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:01 pm All Time great episode
[+] spoiler
ser Brienne!
I think my favorite episode ever. They earned that over years of building those characters - I cared about all those conversations.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:04 pm From what I'm gathering around the nets, those crypts aren't as safe as people are making them out to be. A bunch of dead Starks rising and killing children would be insane.

It makes sense - and a huge failure from Sansa and bran. And Arya. They are fighting on home ground but haven’t bothered to think through all the defense. There are clearly ways from the crypts to outside the castle walls - that’s how bran and rickon escaped from Theo. Bran knows those ways - pre-crippling Martin wrote his character as having been over every inch of winterfelk. Crosses my mind that tunnels are not one way. If NK has access to Bran’s memories (or is bran under that one theory), then army of the dead should know all entrances to winterfell, gates and secret ones.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:44 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:04 pm From what I'm gathering around the nets, those crypts aren't as safe as people are making them out to be. A bunch of dead Starks rising and killing children would be insane.

It makes sense - and a huge failure from Sansa and bran. And Arya. They are fighting on home ground but haven’t bothered to think through all the defense. There are clearly ways from the crypts to outside the castle walls - that’s how bran and rickon escaped from Theo. Bran knows those ways - pre-crippling Martin wrote his character as having been over every inch of winterfelk. Crosses my mind that tunnels are not one way. If NK has access to Bran’s memories (or is bran under that one theory), then army of the dead should know all entrances to winterfell, gates and secret ones.
Oh, the battle is definitely coming from inside the house.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Quick question. When they burned that kid last week, did they create burnt Umber?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Also...did Tormund really kill a giant and fuck his wife?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 am Also...did Tormund really kill a giant and fuck his wife?
No. Killed a giant and sucked at the teat of the dead giant's wife, like he was a giant baby.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 am Quick question. When they burned that kid last week, did they create burnt Umber?
I laughed.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Having never watched but reading here and hearing from friends, I can’t help but conclude this is written by the weirdest perv ever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 am
Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 am Also...did Tormund really kill a giant and fuck his wife?
No. Killed a giant and sucked at the teat of the dead giant's wife, like he was a giant baby.
When he was 10. And sucked that teet for 3 months!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:05 am Having never watched but reading here and hearing from friends, I can’t help but conclude this is written by the weirdest perv ever.
SNL did a funny bit years ago that showed that GOT was written by George R. Martin and a 13 year old boy.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Can the NK create wights from just a pile of bones? I was under the impression that he could only raise wights from people he killed (directly or indirectly).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good question. We'll see, I'm sure.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Did anyone else feel a little 'icky' watching the Arya-Gendry love scene? I know that Maisie Williams is 22, but we've known that character since she was a little kid!

ETA: Turns out I wasn't the only one. Google searches for Williams' age spiked during the scene last night.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No, because I know her and Sophie Turner (23) are legal. And she's posted stuff online that reminds you she isn't a young girl.

But I get what you're saying though. It's like one day you see Hayden Panettierre and then you go "Holy crap, she's...wait a minute, wasn't she in Remember The Titans?" And then you feel like a creep.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was more concerned about how old the actor who plays Gendry was during season 2 or so, but didn't bother to look it up until now. Williams was 14 or 15 and he was mid-20s. Acting!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 am
When he was 10. And sucked that teet for 3 months!
Well it was a giant teat
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryen Rusillo made a good point on Bill Simmons's podcast.

The gist was "Denaerys is down a dragon because they just had to go up to the wall and capture a White Walker to get Cersei on board. And then it turns out Cersei turned her back on them anyway. No one seemed to see that one coming. You know what would have been a good move? Not going up there in the first place and they don't lose the wall and the White Walkers never come south with a dragon."

Gotta say, that makes a ton of sense.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I always assumed that was a pretty common take? At this point that whole ordeal accomplished nothing for the good guys but getting Jamie to the North and getting Arya laid.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 pm I always assumed that was a pretty common take? At this point that whole ordeal accomplished nothing for the good guys but getting Jamie to the North and getting Arya laid.
Yeah that was not a hot take at all.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wasn't saying it was hot, I just hadn't heard it in terms like that. I was like "Huh. Yeah, that shit was dumb."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finally saw the episode last night and that's the version of Game of Thrones I love. I can mostly do without the 30-minute battles and dragons (honestly, I don't know if I've ever been more bored of Game Of Thrones than during the episode with the Battle of the Bastards (Ramsey's comeuppance, excepted).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I never went back and watch the Battle of the Bastards again after it aired. All I really remember is Rickon's "serpentine" failure and the pretty cool claustrophobic moment with Jon almost being crushed. Definitely behind the Battle of Blackwater Bay and Hardhome (and hopefully Season 8, Ep. 3) when it comes to GOT full episode battles (maybe ahead of last season's big scene North of the Wall, because as per the posts above I thought that was a dumb plan all along).

I give Hardhome a lot of credit, because it was something that definitively did not (and will not) happen in the books as portrayed, but they nailed it and it very much added to the story (the TV version of the story, at least).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:47 am I never went back and watch the Battle of the Bastards again after it aired. All I really remember is Rickon's "serpentine" failure and the pretty cool claustrophobic moment with Jon almost being crushed. Definitely behind the Battle of Blackwater Bay and Hardhome (and hopefully Season 8, Ep. 3) when it comes to GOT full episode battles (maybe ahead of last season's big scene North of the Wall, because as per the posts above I thought that was a dumb plan all along).

I give Hardhome a lot of credit, because it was something that definitively did not (and will not) happen in the books as portrayed, but they nailed it and it very much added to the story (the TV version of the story, at least).
Yeah, I'm not saying every battle sucked. The deus ex machina of Tywin returning to save the day bothered me with Blackwater Bay (similar to the troops from the Vale coming at the last second to save Jon Snow's ass, come to think of it).

Hardhome WAS great, especially for the table-setting it had to do to raise the stakes for the final season (and the next episode or two most likely).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:54 am
rass wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:47 am I never went back and watch the Battle of the Bastards again after it aired. All I really remember is Rickon's "serpentine" failure and the pretty cool claustrophobic moment with Jon almost being crushed. Definitely behind the Battle of Blackwater Bay and Hardhome (and hopefully Season 8, Ep. 3) when it comes to GOT full episode battles (maybe ahead of last season's big scene North of the Wall, because as per the posts above I thought that was a dumb plan all along).

Yeah, I'm not saying every battle sucked. The deux ex machina of Tywin returning to save the day bothered me with Blackwater Bay (similar to the troops from the Vale coming at the last second to save Jon Snow's ass, come to think of it).

Hardhome WAS great, especially for the table-setting it had to do to raise the stakes for the final season (and the next episode or two most likely).
At least with that one you did have Sansa saying they needed more troops and knowing who to call(raven?).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:51 pm Ryen Rusillo made a good point on Bill Simmons's podcast.

The gist was "Denaerys is down a dragon because they just had to go up to the wall and capture a White Walker to get Cersei on board. And then it turns out Cersei turned her back on them anyway. No one seemed to see that one coming. You know what would have been a good move? Not going up there in the first place and they don't lose the wall and the White Walkers never come south with a dragon."

Gotta say, that makes a ton of sense.
I saw a different take on this though. If it wasn't for that trip, they wouldn't know that killing the Night King would also result in the deaths of all of the wights he raised from the dead. If you presume they were going to make it through or over the wall eventually anyway (a given) then that was valuable information.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that was my take-away from the trip up there. The revelation and then it being mentioned again while they are surrounded by they skeleton horde on that little rock island in that lake. (I re-watched the last two episodes a few weeks ago, so this is fresh in my mind.)

This was an incredible episode, it was like the freaking Halls of Justice in that joint. I'm still not sure if Jon was processing the bigger picture prior to Dany laying it out for him. Was he so freaked out that he was banging his Auntie that he somehow didn't grasp his claim to the throne?

The scene with Dany and Sansa was brilliant.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm Yeah, that was my take-away from the trip up there. The revelation and then it being mentioned again while they are surrounded by they skeleton horde on that little rock island in that lake. (I re-watched the last two episodes a few weeks ago, so this is fresh in my mind.)

This was an incredible episode, it was like the freaking Halls of Justice in that joint. I'm still not sure if Jon was processing the bigger picture prior to Dany laying it out for him. Was he so freaked out that he was banging his Auntie that he somehow didn't grasp his claim to the throne?

Well, Sam told him the week before he was the true heir.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:32 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm Yeah, that was my take-away from the trip up there. The revelation and then it being mentioned again while they are surrounded by they skeleton horde on that little rock island in that lake. (I re-watched the last two episodes a few weeks ago, so this is fresh in my mind.)

Well, Sam told him the week before he was the true heir.

I guess sometimes Kit is doing too much with his facial expressions, or I'm overanalyzing what he's doing in certain scenes.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm I'm still not sure if Jon was processing the bigger picture prior to Dany laying it out for him. Was he so freaked out that he was banging his Auntie that he somehow didn't grasp his claim to the throne?
That wasn't my impression. Sam was pretty clear that he was the "rightful heir". I see his angst as three-fold: A) he doesn't want it, B) he knows how much she does, and C) he realizes their relationship is over so long as they both shall live.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He's really not a great actor, but might as well go along for the rest of the ride at this point. I'll be curious to see what Harrington does as far as future acting gigs.

(In a related note, I caught the Motley Crue docu-movie The DIrt a couple of weeks ago and Iwan Rheon (who played Ramsey Bolton) as Mick Mars was by far the best part of the film (which was itself fairly fun, if not entirely interesting).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:40 pm He's really not a great actor, but might as well go along for the rest of the ride at this point. I'll be curious to see what Harrington does as far as future acting gigs.

(In a related note, I caught the Motley Crue docu-movie The DIrt a couple of weeks ago and Iwan Rheon (who played Ramsey Bolton) as Mick Mars was by far the best part of the film (which was itself fairly fun, if not entirely interesting).
He was great playing a total idiot in the Samberg tennis movie! Which doesn't say a lot.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Since we are in the speculation business...I think The Hound gets greviously wounded this coming week. And arya finds him lying near death again. Only this time she gives him mercy and puts him out of his misery. Then Cleganebowl is Arya-Mountain!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone else think it's weird that the MOD never really reacted when Bran told them that Viserion was a wight and then when they made their plan to lure in the Night King with Bran and Theon of all people guarding him that they just didn't bring up the fact that he has his own dragon?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 pm Anyone else think it's weird that the MOD never really reacted when Bran told them that Viserion was a wight and then when they made their plan to lure in the Night King with Bran and Theon of all people guarding him that they just didn't bring up the fact that he has his own dragon?
Thought it warranted a mention during the planning phase, yeah.

Though they didn’t mention what the “good” dragons would be up to, either. Maybe we missed the dragon part of the meeting.