The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by tennbengal »

yeah. That pretty much took care of it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Agreed. Much better. And like he said, doesn't really require much change to the overall story.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote:Agreed. Much better. And like he said, doesn't really require much change to the overall story.

Aside from Bronn and Cersie being in the same room..
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

My kid asked if she can watch GoT and I'm leaning towards no because it's often raining dicks but on the other hand, that seems like the type of puritanical bullshit that I'm completely opposed to. Why do I care about that? Help me articulate it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 am My kid asked if she can watch GoT and I'm leaning towards no because it's often raining dicks but on the other hand, that seems like the type of puritanical bullshit that I'm completely opposed to. Why do I care about that? Help me articulate it.
You shouldn't. How old is she now?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I think if you are okay with her seeing the violence, the sex stuff shouldn't be a stopper. That is indeed giving in to puritanical bs.

Your daughter and my son are close in age , he's about a year older, and he watched them all last summer with my okay.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

You know her best. Do you feel she can handle seeing the violence and sex? If so, then yes. If not, then no. From what you have posted about her, I would think she can handle it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

duff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 am You know her best. Do you feel she can handle seeing the violence and sex? If so, then yes. If not, then no. From what you have posted about her, I would think she can handle it.
yeah. From what I know of your daughter based on the stories you have relayed here and on Facebook, she sure seems like she is mature enough to handle it etc.

That said, this Ad campaign from HBO Go a few years back remains one of my favorites...

Last edited by tennbengal on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And this one:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here's the whole sequence of all the spots (I know these have been seen, but, damn, they make me laugh):

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I definitely think she can handle it. I don't really even understand how not handling it would manifest itself. Okay...I'm green-lighting.

Thanks, Swamp!

TB, what does the daughter say at the end of the GoT one as she unpauses it?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am Yeah, I definitely think she can handle it. I don't really even understand how not handling it would manifest itself. Okay...I'm green-lighting.

Thanks, Swamp!

Just rom-coms.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am Yeah, I definitely think she can handle it. I don't really even understand how not handling it would manifest itself. Okay...I'm green-lighting.

Thanks, Swamp!

"Just rom-coms" (referencing movies paul rudd is in)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"You know, nana and Grandpa Joe were first cousins"

Still kills me.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

"I don't even need a pill.'
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

These are fantastic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"Cincinnati. Memphissss."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, my wife and daughter are watching Bad Moms on the living room TV. I had to leave on account of awkward embarrassment.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I let my son start reading the books when he turned 14. But he's a pretty mature kid with that kind of stuff and he loves fantasy. He's 16 now and working on reading through them all a second time.

Watching the show's a bit different though. Luckily we don't have HBO, so it's a non-issue for now.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So I'm not gonna go through this thread (yet) because spoilers BUT I did start watching this last week with the intention of catching up before the final season begins and I thought it might be interesting (to myself if nothing else) to post some thoughts as I'm going through the episodes, especially because I was so resistant to watch in the first place.

So I'll start with that I guess. I just don't like "fantasy" shows or shows set in medieval times and GOT of course combines those two genres, so it's like it was a show basically created for me to hate. So I never started watching, even after it seems like literally every other single person on the planet did. I generally trust my own instincts when it comes to this stuff (I started hating The Walking Dead before it was "cool" because it was obvious to me at least the show had turned to a steaming pile of zombie turds), but the truth is I never gave GOT a chance so I figured I might as well get with the zeitgeist and give it a chance.

At this point I'm through the first 14 episodes -- all of season 1 and basically half of season 2.

Surprisingly, I like it for the most part, though I expect I like the stuff that few other people do. I had everyone telling me that I needed to check it out because there was a lot of sex and violence and those are the two of the three lamest things about the show in my opinion. But the acting is pretty great, as is the writing for the most part and of course it's beautifully shot.

I'm still at the point where if I didn't know that he plays a major role later I'd be wondering why in the fuck the show cares about Jon Snow so much. Certainly, some of these things at this point could be moving a little faster and/or C and D plots tightened up or given less screen time.

The third stupid thing and I doubt I'll feel any differently about it even after absorbing the whole show is motherfucking dragons. I don't know why these shows/movies always have to have dragons, but dragons are fucking stupid and I doubt you'll never convince me otherwise. I think I could totally get on board with an eight-season show about all of the conniving and warmongering necessary to control an empire and I suspect there's plenty of that to come, but it seems unnecessarily complex at times to keep track of a dozen different plotlines, many of which feature actors who look very similar to each other, but I can deal with that.

I have pretty high hopes that it'll basically fall in the pantheon of shows I like despite being part of a genre I generally hate (a list that would include Mad Men amongst some others), but still think it's possible I could get to the end and think that there was not enough there there to justify the hype. No preconceived notions though. I'm in for the ride.

(And I can't wait to see fucking Joffrey die.)

ETA: I assume he dies, though I don't know this. But I have a hard time believing that little twerp is still king several seasons later.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Thanks for sharing. I'll avoid explicit spoilers, but just as a heads-up, IMO Seasons 1-4 are the best and then the quality falls off noticeably, probably not coincidentally as that's when they started running out of the book author's source material. From there it trends towards the sort of things that sound like your hangups about this type of thing going in. You still have a good chunk of quality TV ahead of you, though.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brian, I'm so jealous of you (in a way) right now. You are in for a ride. The acting made the show for me by far and if you figure on that the rest is gravy.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Season 8 Trailer just dropped.

I didn’t pick up on a lot except that Jon is probably going to fly the other dragon and Arya is maybe going to try to take the face of a walker.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I believe I saw Bran and Sam together, no?

That's sort o' a big deal.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm through the fifth season at this point so only like 17 episodes left to get caught up.

It's definitely really good and great at times though I don't see how anyone could rank it amongst the pantheon of great TV shows. But that's about as far as I'll go to criticize. I have some specifics, but that's not what this was about.

I get why it's pretty popular -- being able to flaunt some taboos with the excuse of "well, it's a fantasy show" puts some butts in the seats along with the gratuitous violence and gore, but those aren't the aspects I enjoy. I'm glad that there's enough there there to be able to enjoy it on a different level, as opposed to The Walking Dead, which might as well have been re-named "The Old-Timey Zombie Killin' Hour" at some point.

Looking forward to seeing where the union between Tyrion and Danereys (sp?) goes (there were a bunch of cliff-hangers at the end of S5, but I know even if I didn't really know that she'll be fine, as well Jon Snow after he's resurrected, probably by the guy in Stannis' camp who can do that (otherwise what was the point of showing he has a dude who can bring people back from the dead).

And I'll be able to enjoy the final seven episodes with you guys at this point probably.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We just got through the first two episodes of season 6 last night on our rewatch. InMore than a few things that I didn't notice/forgot from the first watching.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Any truth to the rumor that they are going to package this as a movie called "A Stark is Born"?

Yes, I stole that from a tweet.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Just thought of this the other day and like the idea of it.
[+] spoiler
Sam Tarly kills the Night King w the Valyrian steel sword he took from his father’s house. He is Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter reference if you aren’t familiar)
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:32 am Just thought of this the other day and like the idea of it.
[+] spoiler
Sam Tarly kills the Night King w the Valyrian steel sword he took from his father’s house. He is Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter reference if you aren’t familiar)
[+] spoiler
That sword will play a role, but I don't think it will be sam wielding it. I could see Jon giving Longclaw back to the Mormonts and Sam gifting heartsbane to Jon.

OR he gives it to the hound for cleganebowl!

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:32 am Just thought of this the other day and like the idea of it.
[+] spoiler
I like it. There has to be reason for that plot device.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Also may be the key to figuring out how to make valyrian steel, which they could use a lot of
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:31 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Also may be the key to figuring out how to make valyrian steel, which they could use a lot of
Another great point, but that seems like a longer shot to me. And mostly unnecessary, given what's under Dragonstone, right? Would be pretty cool though.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There are so many moving parts and so much that has to be done in a relatively short period of time, it's probably going to be a simple thing.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:25 pm There are so many moving parts and so much that has to be done in a relatively short period of time, it's probably going to be a simple thing.
[+] spoiler
Dragonglass and dragonfire = Valyrian steel, Sam Tarly knows this, I’d bet.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:33 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:25 pm There are so many moving parts and so much that has to be done in a relatively short period of time, it's probably going to be a simple thing.
[+] spoiler
Dragonglass and dragonfire = Valyrian steel, Sam Tarly knows this, I’d bet.
[+] spoiler
it could be that. Seems too simple of. Way to make those pretty blades though.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

They apparently put iron thrones in 7 random locations around the world.

One is in Queens: