Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by sancarlos »

While my daughter was home on spring break last week, she mentioned that she gets HBO through her college dorm (we don't get HBO at our home). So, the two of us re-watched the entire last season of GoT, in anticipation of the upcoming season. It was a nice bonding thing for us.

Oh, and in news that probably interests only me, I was at the San Jose Sharks' final regular season game last night, and they had an interesting giveaway - a figure of their goalie, Martin Jones, seated on a version of the Iron Throne holding his goalie stick as a scepter, and the throne was full of hockey sticks instead of swords. The caption at the bottom said, "Game of Jones".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This looks pretty cool, actually:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I bet less than 90 percent of them get saved though.

ETA:
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:33 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:25 pm There are so many moving parts and so much that has to be done in a relatively short period of time, it's probably going to be a simple thing.
[+] spoiler
Dragonglass and dragonfire = Valyrian steel, Sam Tarly knows this, I’d bet.
[+] spoiler
We have been re watching and a couple of days ago Sam took the sword. I think dragonfire plays a part, but not sure it's as simple as just mixing dragonfire and dragonglass. Gendry worked under the smith that reforged Ice into Widow's wail and Oathkeeper, so I'm guessing he will be involved with this process.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is a pretty fair criticism IMO.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did Tyrion and Brienne die and I missed it?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 pm Did Tyrion and Brienne die and I missed it?
Brienne has barely factored into the events on the show in almost forever and could almost say the same for Tyrion.

And even if they were central to the plot (they're not) those are only two examples, for which there are a half-dozen (at least) counter-examples.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The only real good example of a character actor the show has inexplicably kept around (in the sense that it might have made had means and made sense to kill off) is Sam Tarley.

To be more fair, I think it's kind of to be expected with only a few episodes left for the world to be tightening in focus at this point, but I think the show really suffered in seasons four to six at heightening certain plots for more attractive actors as the expense of others.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:21 pm
rass wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 pm Did Tyrion and Brienne die and I missed it?
Brienne has barely factored into the events on the show in almost forever and could almost say the same for Tyrion.

And even if they were central to the plot (they're not) those are only two examples, for which there are a half-dozen (at least) counter-examples.
I’m going to disagree and say Tyrion and Brienne will both play very important roles this season
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:37 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:21 pm

I’m going to disagree and say Tyrion and Brienne will both play very important roles this season
In the upcoming final episodes Tyrion at least absolutely will.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And Lena Headey is key to the plot, conventionally attractive and prettt great actor.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Hound is handsome.
Varys will play a part.
Tormund
Ser Davos
Euron Greyjoy

None of them conventionally attractive.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What does the tweet say?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh, that's bullshit.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I definitely don't think it's boring, but there's an argument to be made that the show is worse now for its focus on the attractive members of its cast who can't act (*cough Kit Harrington *cough* Emilia Clarke).

I think it's fair to point out that the talented actors like Peter Dinklage get short shrift (no pun intended) by comparison.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 am I definitely don't think it's boring, but there's an argument to be made that the show is worse now for its focus on the attractive members of its cast who can't act (*cough Kit Harrington *cough* Emilia Clarke).

I think it's fair to point out that the talented actors like Peter Dinklage get short shrift (no pun intended) by comparison.
But...that's kind of where the story was going from the start? You can argue poor casting ten years ago, but not sure what you could do it about it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's probably fair as well. I guess I just wish they were better actors, but that's hardly a unique issue to Game of Thrones. Lena Headly is a great actress, so much sometimes I wish she could just manage to kill all of the whinging Starks and Targaryens even though she's the "bad guy".
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 am That's probably fair as well. I guess I just wish they were better actors, but that's hardly a unique issue to Game of Thrones. Lena Headly is a great actress, so much sometimes I wish she could just manage to kill all of the whinging Starks and Targaryens even though she's the "bad guy".
This probably should go in the Confessions thread, but I'm guessing that Lena Headey is great in bed.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Listed without commentary:

Missandei
Grown Up Sansa
Tyene Sand
Ros from the first couple of seasons
Elaria Sand
Melisandre
Danaerys
Cersei
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Margery
Missandei
Sand Snake Threesome
MOD
Cersei's body double from WOS
Ros
Melisandre
Cersei
Sansa
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

1. Fuck you both for not having Ygritte on your lists at all
2. Shae
3. Melisandre
4. Missandei
5. Ros
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Finally finished the rewatch...and boy the seasons lose some lustre when they don't have the books to back them up. That said really looking forward to tomorrow night. I'm hoping for something more than just good guy wins, but wonder how the end game will differ from what GRRM will actually write...you know if he ever does.

Also

1. Those sand snakes
2. Margery
3. some of those whores that the Martel's sent away
4. Missandei
5.aSeason 7 Sansa
6. Season 1 Danaerys
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Looks like Jon snow finally knows something!

This show reminds me that even when facing certain death, there are still people that would rather politick because their who is more important than anything.

And who knew dragons liked watching their mom fuck her nephew next to waterfalls!?!?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does Dany now know that only Targaryens can fly dragons or is she just a little slow on the uptake?

I hate all the ridiculous, manipulative blood is thicker than water BS from Sansa and Arya. Sansa's the fucking worst. She treated him like crap his whole life and now that he has dragons, it's "don't forget where you came from." Kill her.

The father and brother Tarly were captured in a military coup. They had just slaughtered all the Tyrells who were fighting for her. It's not like she just saw two guys walking down the street and offered let them live if they don't bend the knee. You don't really have to give them a choice at all. Why is nobody acknowledging this?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am Does Dany now know that only Targaryens can fly dragons or is she just a little slow on the uptake?
She is a little slow in the head. I may be a bit biased, as she is the worst character to have survived this long. I hope she is eaten by the whitewalker dragon.
Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am I hate all the ridiculous, manipulative blood is thicker than water BS from Sansa and Arya. Sansa's the fucking worst. She treated him like crap his whole life and now that he has dragons, it's "don't forget where you came from." Kill her.
Blood has always been thicker than water. Plus the North have a hard time trusting those from the south. That is how one should act when taking into the account of the lives she has been sworn to protect and rule.
Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am The father and brother Tarly were captured in a military coup. They had just slaughtered all the Tyrells who were fighting for her. It's not like she just saw two guys walking down the street and offered let them live if they don't bend the knee. You don't really have to give them a choice at all. Why is nobody acknowledging this?
I agree with you on this. I did like the question Sam posed to Jon on what he would have done. It is important on how you rule.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am Does Dany now know that only Targaryens can fly dragons or is she just a little slow on the uptake?

I hate all the ridiculous, manipulative blood is thicker than water BS from Sansa and Arya. Sansa's the fucking worst. She treated him like crap his whole life and now that he has dragons, it's "don't forget where you came from." Kill her.

The father and brother Tarly were captured in a military coup. They had just slaughtered all the Tyrells who were fighting for her. It's not like she just saw two guys walking down the street and offered let them live if they don't bend the knee. You don't really have to give them a choice at all. Why is nobody acknowledging this?
I don't think that's been proven as canon, but it may be a narrative that the TV show will use.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

She brought the Vale to save Jon before he had dragons, so the two of them are good.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

in regards to "only targaryens can ride dragons" am i imagining this or didnt tyrion and the hot black servant chick whos name i cant remember but is number one on my list leave that arena fight on the back of a dragon? They sure as fuck arent targaryen
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 am in regards to "only targaryens can ride dragons" am i imagining this or didnt tyrion and the hot black servant chick whos name i cant remember but is number one on my list leave that arena fight on the back of a dragon? They sure as fuck arent targaryen
Danyrys was driving. Same as when she rescued them off the ice last season. Her name is Missandei.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, there is a theory that Tyrion is Targarean, for what it's worth.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am Also, there is a theory that Tyrion is Targarean, for what it's worth.
He did pet a dragon and didn’t get incinerated.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am Also, there is a theory that Tyrion is Targarean, for what it's worth.
It did feel like evidence of that theory being maybe not insane...
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

bfj wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 am
petting the dragon just became a euphemism for me
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It that when you rub one out during a herpes outbreak?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:05 pm It that when you rub one out during a herpes outbreak?
trying to fuck ash on her period
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Was definitely expecting an "I choose violence" response there.

Also, hooray to drinking! Boo to bring disrespectful!

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

All Time great episode
[+] spoiler
ser Brienne!