Other Names You'd Like to Have (Besides Your Own)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Other Names You'd Like to Have (Besides Your Own)

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm fortunate to have a given name I really like (Dave, though I loathe being called David), but from time to time I've thought of other names it would be cool to have:

Johnny
any initials name (especially J.J.)
Dewey
Jay
Mike
Mitch

What are yours?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Re: Other Names You'd Like to Have (Besides Your Own)

Post by bapo! »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good timing. Some dude walked past me this AM in a football jersey with "SPUD JONES" on the nameplate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

On a couple of different occasions, while drunk, I insisted on being called "Mason". I think that desire may have been linked to a certain PG who played for the NJ Nets at the time who shared my last name. So I guess Mason?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not creative so I don't think I ever considered which alternative I wanted, but I couldn't stand my name growing up. Not that either was bad, but it was just so common and boring. Like I knew a dude in Boston with the same name. That's dumb.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My name's fine, but it wouldn't have bothered me to have Ian Fleming go with James Smith.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Harper
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Harper Ferguson sounds good.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I'm fortunate to have a given name I really like (Dave, though I loathe being called David), but from time to time I've thought of other names it would be cool to have:

Johnny
Anyone who calls me Johnny gets a glare. Say it again and you get a dope slap. (These rules do not apply to my mom or sister. They get a pass. But they know I hate it so they rarely say it.)

My list:

Amos
Otto
Sabo

Ancillary question. Has anyone's parents ever told you what your name would've been had you been born the opposite sex? My mom told me they were going to name me Janet, which I don't mind.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sabo wrote:Ancillary question. Has anyone's parents ever told you what your name would've been had you been born the opposite sex? My mom told me they were going to name me Janet, which I don't mind.
Mine was "Rachelle." Hearing that was one of the biggest surprises of my life. Sounded totally out of character for my parents.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

yeah. but it's already taken.

I mean, how you gonna keep them down on the farm, once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:On a couple of different occasions, while drunk, I insisted on being called "Mason". I think that desire may have been linked to a certain PG who played for the NJ Nets at the time who shared my last name. So I guess Mason?
His twin brother who couldn't hit a jumper?
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:Ancillary question. Has anyone's parents ever told you what your name would've been had you been born the opposite sex? My mom told me they were going to name me Janet, which I don't mind.
My folks were quite happy to tell us that Pat, Mike and Tom were going to be Catherine, Susan and Andrea. I was also told that my first name and my middle name were reversed for about the first twelve hours of my life. Then, my father decided he didn't want us to have the same initials, so he swapped James Patrick into Patrick James. I like my name fine, the formal version or the nickname. James or Jim would've been fine, too. I really don't pine for another.

When my wife was pregnant, and before my daughter's sex was learned in certainty, we had trouble coming up with a boy's name, anyway. I have relatives with names such as Jerome, Germaine, Marcel, and Maurice, so I suggested a French name such as Andre'. But my wife and a black friend of mine both told me that in America, those are African-American names, not French names, so I was nixed.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I was Jennifer. And we really don't like the boy name that we would have used anymore. Which might be different if we had used it or we might hate the girl name if genders were reversed, but it seems like a bullet dodged.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

I'm okay with my name: Karen. It isn't offensive and has no obvious annoying derivatives. My mother was going to name me Jenny Rebecca and I'm pretty glad she was dissuaded.

If I had been male, I would probably have been Patrick, but being named after an uncle who has since turned out to be a real dick would have been unfortunate.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I've always disliked my name. I'd go by my middle name but then I've be like the 7th Dave in the Swamp so I decided to keep my real first name.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nicole.

Having a penis, I've always thought I'd make a cool Zach.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're probably one of the older versions of your name, right?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Definitely. It's totally weird for me now hearing my name when I'm not being addressed.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Our elementary principal is a Kyle. Nice lady.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The name on the fake ID I used in college that I paid $12 for was Vincent J. (John) Alluzzio. Because my given name isn't Italian enough.

For about 3 weeks during the spring semester of 1L I was going as Leonardo, under the theory that I'm a III, and my grandfather emigrated from Italy, so that was his actual name.

Other names I thought would be cool would be Quan Lorge (I named an RPG character that), Arsus, and DarTavian, which I would joke would be my black athlete name.

My female name would've been Julia.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

No one gonna make a joke about how Degen's parent's sure as shit didn't have a girl's name picked out? No one?
Last edited by A_B on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote:The name on the fake ID I used in college that I paid $12 for was Vincent J. (John) Alluzzio. Because my given name isn't Italian enough.

For about 3 weeks during the spring semester of 1L I was going as Leonardo, under the theory that I'm a III, and my grandfather emigrated from Italy, so that was his actual name.

Other names I thought would be cool would be Quan Lorge (I named an RPG character that), Arsus, and DarTavian, which I would joke would be my black athlete name.

My female name would've been Julia.
No clue what else I'd want to be called, but my fake ID name was Lars Scofield. That dude rocked. I actually met Lars one night. Alcohol poisoning ensued.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My fake ID name was "You look 21, go on in."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote:Our elementary principal is a Kyle. Nice lady.
Holy cow I thought this was funny, but just went over to a UK blog and there is a girl named Kyle suing the people behind the stripper book for "devaluing her education."

Had no clue Kyle was a girls name.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:My fake ID name was "You look 21, go on in."
I had a fake ID and used my same first name, under the (correct) assumption that people would be calling me that name in front of the id checker.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I like being a Michael/Mike. My dad won out on naming me. Had my mom had her way I would have been Quinn. IU undefeated season must have been memorable for her. Had my nuts not dropped, Elizabeth I would have been.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've got a very unique name, only met a handful of people with the same first name, when I worked at UNH there was a student that went by the same name (I go by my middle name.)

If I had been a lady Kirsten would have been my name.

I haven't really thought about alternative names, as I like my name...except that people want to shorten my first name to Izzy, which I fucking hate.

Used Steve Dallas as the fake party name in college, my buddy's was Fellatio Johnson.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Rush2112 wrote:I haven't really thought about alternative names, as I like my name...except that people want to shorten my first name to Izzy, which I fucking hate.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I would have been a "Tracy"...

Anyways, I always thought "Gordon" would have been a cool name. Think of all the great nicknames that come with it...."Gordie"..."Gordo"...

Either that or "Max Power"...
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've always wondered if I chose to be Alex via my middle name instead of my first name.

I guess I could name a son "Brontoburglar III" (I'm the second) and call him that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Trey Marbles

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:On a couple of different occasions, while drunk, I insisted on being called "Mason". I think that desire may have been linked to a certain PG who played for the NJ Nets at the time who shared my last name. So I guess Mason?
a couple of times? i thought bayonne was special.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I'm not creative so I don't think I ever considered which alternative I wanted, but I couldn't stand my name growing up. Not that either was bad, but it was just so common and boring. Like I knew a dude in Boston with the same name. That's dumb.
All of this. Never gave it any thought, though Binghamton Ranger great (and cup of coffee with NY Rangers and a year with Boston Bruins) Jean-Yves Roy (French-Canadian pronunciation) has the greatest name ever. My bestie growing up chose his confirmation name as Jean-Yves Aloysius.

My CVS pharmacy in Boston had 2 other customers with my identical name. I doubt my parents had a female name. My Mom claims my father refused to be serious in discussing names, to the point that the nurses were annoyed, because they couldn't get me and my Mom out of the hospital without a name for the birth certificate. He kept saying Rastis. Life ain't easy for a boy named Rastis, but at least there would have only been one person at the Allston CVS with my name.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

cerrano wrote:
a couple of times? i thought bayonne was special.
It is. It was. But I think that happened at least one other time. I probably forced it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I've always liked K and hard-C names. I'm not manly enough for Kyle. Caleb is too Biblical. Kip is too Northern-Virginia Lacrosse. I have the perfect temperament for a Connor, but that name is way too trendy and popular now. I could be a Kerry, maybe. Or Kieran. Kellan! I would love to be a Kellan.

(Random note: The world's most beautiful 12-year-old has a crush on me, and she has one of those trendy K names.)

But if I can't be Kieran or Kellan, I don't mind being Brad. It's not an unusual name, but it's uncommon enough that I don't often meet other Brads. I've grown into the name, I think. (Props to Brad Van Pelt for being a moderately famous football player in 1974. Glad I wasn't born when Shaquille O'Neal was at his peak.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My fake was some guy named Timothy Benedict who left his ID at an Albany bar and I looked the most like him so I got it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:My fake was some guy named Timothy Benedict who left his ID at an Albany bar and I looked the most like him so I got it.
But New York IDs were so easy to chalk. I just missed out on the faded yellow-brown IDs that a #2 pencil worked perfectly on. The new licenses could easily be chalked with a white and red colored pencil. The red was identical to the shade of red in crayola's 8-pack colored pencils. Turned the six to a zero for a couple years, then to 3.
-Pruitt