Other Names You'd Like to Have (Besides Your Own)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Other Names You'd Like to Have (Besides Your Own)

Post by govmentchedda »

bapo! wrote:I've always liked K and hard-C names. I'm not manly enough for Kyle. Caleb is too Biblical. Kip is too Northern-Virginia Lacrosse. I have the perfect temperament for a Connor, but that name is way too trendy and popular now. I could be a Kerry, maybe. Or Kieran. Kellan! I would love to be a Kellan.

(Random note: The world's most beautiful 12-year-old has a crush on me, and she has one of those trendy K names.)

But if I can't be Kieran or Kellan, I don't mind being Brad. It's not an unusual name, but it's uncommon enough that I don't often meet other Brads. I've grown into the name, I think. (Props to Brad Van Pelt for being a moderately famous football player in 1974. Glad I wasn't born when Shaquille O'Neal was at his peak.)
Are you sure Timothy or Willie isn't more fitting?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dalton Pompey.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

With that name, you might get to third base, but you won't score.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:With that name, you might get to third base, but you won't score.
And then come out sophomore year in college.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Richard Weed. I use that name (but use Dick) when making a reservation at a restaurant.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Guy. Guy Lapin.

Pronounced as they do in Montreal. Sometimes I'd have to issue a correction to insensitive Americans (this was in America of course). I believed myself to have a terrific French accent. The name was derived from that of Le Demon Blond, Guy Lafleur.

When my oldest daughter was 15, she mentioned that some of the older camp counselors would go out to an Italian place in Northern Michigan to go drinking on their day off. I made her an ID that was based on my own drivers' license, stating that she was 25 (so I only had to alter one digit in my birth date). I never tried to sort out fact from fiction in the tales of how she used it. Perhaps it was less risky than I thought, when wielded by a cute blonde. Recently a different well-informed youth, motivated to keep up with the seniors in her theater program at a NYC college, stated that $200 and the right Chinese contact will get you a bouncer-proof ID. That's some kind of inflation from my youth. And I didn't charge my daughter a penny.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I never had a nickname - just shortening a first name doesn't count.

"T-Bone" would be cool.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just saw a kid who earned all Met honors and county player of the year...Bubba Love

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back in the stone age when I was in college, there was a guy on my dorm floor who was in Air Force ROTC and had a pilot's license. He tried really hard to get everybody to start calling him "Wings".

Nobody did that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 am Just saw a kid who earned all Met honors and county player of the year...Bubba Love

There was a guy on the Colorado season of Top Chef named Brother Luck.

Hoping to check out his restaurant in a couple of weeks when I'm there to visit my parents.
Four by Brother Luck
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:15 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 am Just saw a kid who earned all Met honors and county player of the year...Bubba Love

Hoping to check out his restaurant in a couple of weeks when I'm there to visit my parents.
Four by Brother Luck
Here's hoping Bubba Love marries Brother Luck and they become Brother Love. Well, you know...
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brooks Pounders
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nina Abigail at your service had I been a girl. As a young one, I’d have taken any name that would have allowed me to buy a souvenir with my name printed on it.

Mom of bfj-“NeAl just looks prettier than NeIl”. No license plate from Busch Gardens for me.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm Mom of bfj-“NeAl just looks prettier than NeIl”. No license plate from Busch Gardens for me.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

My first name was always too popular and my last name would either be preceded by "grass", used as a euphemism for toilet, or I'd get asked if I was related to Dennis. So I often would make up names for myself, with the main ones I remember being Arthur Lovett and Thaddeus Covington.

I've come to like my name, as do others apparently, as it was used in the original Predator (the leader of the failed rescue crew), then a reference to that character in a Biggie's Last Day (though every lyrics site has Jim Hoffa) and then the Chief from Stranger Things was named after him.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Welcome back!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

duff wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Four by Brother Luck
Here's hoping Bubba Love marries Brother Luck and they become Brother Love. Well, you know...
Do they start a traveling salvation show?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:54 pm Back in the stone age when I was in college, there was a guy on my dorm floor who was in Air Force ROTC and had a pilot's license. He tried really hard to get everybody to start calling him "Wings".

Nobody did that.
Oh Jesus. Here's hoping he never joined the military. I already know this personality type. Completely full of himself and the rank he'll attain will just inflate his ego.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Thanks to my GF's daughter, who now works at Hydroflask, we got free passes to see the pro beach volleyball tournament in town this weekend.

There's this guy playing on the tour (who's also a Hydroflask sponsored athlete)...

The name: Stafford Slick.

When they announced him, I said 'there's no way that's his real name'
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Four by Brother Luck
Had lunch there one day a year or so ago. Can confirm, it's good. Had the Cuban and shared a daily special. Get the jalapeno poppers too, they are great.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Another volleyball player that we saw this weekend:

Jeremy Casebeer.

'Casebeer'! How cool of a name is that?

Sidenote: We just assumed that he was making some kind of wacky fashion statement with the half-dyed mustache. But afterwards, I did some google-diving and found this:
Jeremy Casebeer’s mustache is a normal light brown color on one half, but the other is marked by an out-of-place whitened hue.

While snowboarding in his junior year, Casebeer was sunburned severely and the burn changed the skin pigmentation on part of the right side of his face. That part of his face, including the hair, is now lighter. Coincidentally, the color change occurs right down the middle of his mustache.