Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by Pruitt »

This guy is nuts! This is hilarious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Has jerloma bought tickets to Manila yet?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 pm Has jerloma bought tickets to Manila yet?
Duterte would cut off his balls for smoking pot.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's monsoon season in Tucson. As is tradition, a man died by driving into a flooded area, disobeying the state's stupid motorist law. (Stupid motorist law is the name, by the way.)

This is his profile pic on Facebook changed back in March:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Satanic Temple Protests Ten Commandments Monument With Goat-Headed Statue

Lolz. And not a single ounce of Christian self awareness was discovered that day.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 am Satanic Temple Protests Ten Commandments Monument With Goat-Headed Statue

Lolz. And not a single ounce of Christian self awareness was discovered that day.
Republican state Sen. Jason Rapert, who sponsored a 2015 bill that approved the Ten Commandments' placement on the Capitol grounds, told THV 11 that he "respects" everyone's right to free speech under the First Amendment.

But, he continued, "The people of Arkansas have the right to say that we disagree with your profane statements ... and really a war on the Ten Commandments."

"It will be a very cold day in hell before an offensive statue will be forced upon us to be permanently erected on the grounds of the Arkansas State Capitol," the senator also added.
It occurs to me that these guys would be just as pissed off if a statue of a great Rabbinical scholar was placed on the grounds. And they'd go on a lynching spree if Ganesh was represented.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

WaPo Column "Why am I still a Catholic?"

Presented as an unironic coda, intended to prove that the Church belongs to the people and not the hierarchy of said church...
There was another passage in the scripture readings this morning, from the letter of St. Paul to the Ephesians: “Watch carefully how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil.

“Therefore, do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Unfortunately “the will of the lord” often ends up being ignorance painted as divine will.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The wife and I were at dinner yesterday and ended up sitting in the bar side of the restaurant and since there wasn't much sports some of the TVs were tuned to random channels including a Spanish-language local TV station and they appeared to give the story about the Pittsburgh diocese more coverage than any English-language outlet or channel I've seen and a week after the fact to boot. Things are pretty fucked up these days.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Paddy Power - Bookmaker in Ireland and the UK - is getting ready for the Papal visit to Ireland.

Ahead of the pontiff's mass, Paddy Power wants motorists to visit and get sin-free fast so they can observe the address "minus any Catholic guilt".

A Paddy Power spokesperson said: "Ireland has changed a lot since the last Pope’s visit – gay marriage is legal, we’ve repealed the Eighth Amendment, and even secretly cheered for England in the World Cup.

"With decades worth of sins clocked up since then, we’re providing a convenient means to complete your contrition with your keys still in the ignition."

They added: "And if the Catholic hierarchy have anything they’d like to get off their chests too, they are more than welcome to take a spin through our mega drive-thru confession box while they’re here."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hooo boy.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Heh, nobody has asked me that in at least 10 years... I was a bit sad when my daughter's Catholic friend had to explain to my daughter that they had off school for Rosh Hashana. My daughter asked what that was, and the Catholic kid explained it to her. Sometimes I feel like I'm failing my kids and my people by not teaching them about Judaism, other times I feel like I'm freeing them of the guilt of 4000 year old superstitions.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

My Catholic friends hate it when I explain their theology to their kids.

But yeah...it's the latter, Syb.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:27 am My Catholic friends hate it when I explain their theology to their kids.
Because they believe it and you trash it, or because you know more than they do?
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No, I don't trash it. If they ask, I just answer their questions right from their holy books and doctrines. It's just that when you're not doing it as someone authorized with divine authority and without all the deference and magic, it sounds utterly ridiculous.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Tucker Carlson thinks the Kavanaugh backlash is due to an atheist theocracy.
“I’m old enough … to remember when the left sincerely worried, or said they did, about the right turning this into some kind of theocracy and imposing its puritanical values on the rest of the country,” Carlson said on Fox News’s “The Daily Briefing” Wednesday.

“The irony, of course, is that they’re doing it right now. It’s a kind of theocracy run by atheists, where the minor, smallest peccadillos from your teen years are now disqualifying. Is this really the standard we want?”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:30 am Tucker Carlson thinks the Kavanaugh backlash is due to an atheist theocracy.
“I’m old enough … to remember when the left sincerely worried, or said they did, about the right turning this into some kind of theocracy and imposing its puritanical values on the rest of the country,” Carlson said on Fox News’s “The Daily Briefing” Wednesday.

“The irony, of course, is that they’re doing it right now. It’s a kind of theocracy run by atheists, where the minor, smallest peccadillos from your teen years are now disqualifying. Is this really the standard we want?”
Fucking Atheists and their insistence that everyone act morally.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

h/t Giff

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sat May 07, 2016 10:27 pm I happened to see a NJ license plate tonight with "ATHIEST" as the plate "number". It was a dark blue Lexus, and the driver liked to go fast.
Today I saw NJ plate “ATHIE5T”. It was an Acura (I think) SUV, so I guess a different car. It also had a decal which seemed to suggest a support for youth hockey, and a Trump 2020 KEEP AMERICA GREAT sticker.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 am
rass wrote: Sat May 07, 2016 10:27 pm I happened to see a NJ license plate tonight with "ATHIEST" as the plate "number". It was a dark blue Lexus, and the driver liked to go fast.
Today I saw NJ plate “ATHIE5T”. It was an Acura (I think) SUV, so I guess a different car. It also had a decal which seemed to suggest a support for youth hockey, and a Trump 2020 KEEP AMERICA GREAT sticker.
For as much as Trump and his cronies' rhetoric is shrouded in theocracy, you have to be experiencing some serious cognitive dissonance to support him as an atheist. Although, I suppose that would apply to anyone who's not a rich, white, heterosexual, Christian male.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm
rass wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 am
For as much as Trump and his cronies' rhetoric is shrouded in theocracy, you have to be experiencing some serious cognitive dissonance to support him as an atheist. Although, I suppose that would apply to anyone who's not a rich, white, heterosexual, Christian male.
That was my thought, too? Even if you're racist, you clearly sought to primarily self-identify as atheist so you'd have to be a little put off.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not if you're a racist who thinks Trump is an atheist using the religious right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:28 pm Not if you're a racist who thinks Trump is an atheist using the religious right?
Exactly. Does anyone, other than the deepest brainwashed pro-Trump Evangelicals actually believe Trump is a man of God? Hell, even most of them know Trump is full of shit with his religious talk, but they don't care, because he is pushing their agenda. I think it would be a lot easier to be an Atheist Trump supporter despite his claiming to be Christian, than to be a Christian and ignore all of Trump's personal sins,attitude and policies that fly in the face of everything Jesus supposedly preached.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

"Using the religious right" would be pandering to them for votes and then adopting policies that they oppose.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:47 pm "Using the religious right" would be pandering to them for votes and then adopting policies that they oppose.
Or giving in to them on issues he doesn't give a fuck about (everything that doesn't affect him personally, or not an Obama accomplishment) and allowing him to take the title of Most Powerful Man in the World, suck up to Putin and dictators, and make Billions abusing his office.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's just an implicitly negotiated deal. Trump will work to overturn abortion laws. That makes him God's chosen vessel in their eyes, so they'll overlook all of his undeniable faults and gladly give him their votes - the quid pro quo.

Similarly, I have a Jewish friend who gladly overlooks Trump's faults because of his support for the government/state of Israel.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

He's adorable...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw this while watching TV last night.

"...IN HISTORY"
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

[url=https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/19/health/c ... index.html]Teen who refused chickenpox vaccine says school is limiting his activities. So he's suing/url]

He and his father claim he's being discriminated against because of his religious beliefs. His school is named Our Lady of the Sacred Heart/Assumption Academy. It is currently experiencing a chicken pox outbreak.

And just to show the level of stupidity involved in the area where anti-vaxxers and religious freaks intersect...
Bill Kunkel, Jerome's father told WLWT, that he doesn't believe in the chickenpox vaccine and that "they're trying to push it on us." He told the station that they object to the particular vaccine because he believed it was derived from "aborted fetuses."
"And of course, we're as Christians, we're against abortion," Kunkel said.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am [url=https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/19/health/c ... index.html]Teen who refused chickenpox vaccine says school is limiting his activities. So he's suing/url]

He and his father claim he's being discriminated against because of his religious beliefs. His school is named Our Lady of the Sacred Heart/Assumption Academy. It is currently experiencing a chicken pox outbreak.

And just to show the level of stupidity involved in the area where anti-vaxxers and religious freaks intersect...
Bill Kunkel, Jerome's father told WLWT, that he doesn't believe in the chickenpox vaccine and that "they're trying to push it on us." He told the station that they object to the particular vaccine because he believed it was derived from "aborted fetuses."
"And of course, we're as Christians, we're against abortion," Kunkel said.
Some vaccines are made with egg as an ingredient, so maybe that's what he is going for, or where confusion arises from? I've never heard of Christians refusing to eat eggs because it is abortion-adjacent (I know they are unfertilized), but I'm sure some wacky sect somewhere believes that harvesting chicken eggs is abortion.
-Pruitt