Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:17 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am [url=https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/19/health/c ... index.html]Teen who refused chickenpox vaccine says school is limiting his activities. So he's suing/url]

He and his father claim he's being discriminated against because of his religious beliefs. His school is named Our Lady of the Sacred Heart/Assumption Academy. It is currently experiencing a chicken pox outbreak.

And just to show the level of stupidity involved in the area where anti-vaxxers and religious freaks intersect...
Bill Kunkel, Jerome's father told WLWT, that he doesn't believe in the chickenpox vaccine and that "they're trying to push it on us." He told the station that they object to the particular vaccine because he believed it was derived from "aborted fetuses."
"And of course, we're as Christians, we're against abortion," Kunkel said.
Some vaccines are made with egg as an ingredient, so maybe that's what he is going for, or where confusion arises from? I've never heard of Christians refusing to eat eggs because it is abortion-adjacent (I know they are unfertilized), but I'm sure some wacky sect somewhere believes that harvesting chicken eggs is abortion.
From the CNN article...
The chickenpox vaccine is not derived from aborted fetuses. There are a number of vaccines made in descendent cells of aborted fetuses dating back several decades, according to the National Catholic Bioethics Center.

"Since that time the cell lines have grown independently. It is important to note that descendent cells are not the cells of the aborted child. They never, themselves, formed a part of the victim's body," according to the National Catholic Bioethics Center.
I don;t know if this is ultimately true, but the "National Catholic Bioethics Center" says that it's not an issue, so clearly these mouth breathers are getting their misinformation from a different source. Yet they are good Catholics whose son attends a Catholic school...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't think I've ever read The Daily Wire, but reading this on The Daily Wire warms by cold, atheist heart.

God Help Us: Atheism Becomes Largest Religion In U.S.

The article states the facts of the matter up front and then immediately pivots to talking about anxiety disorders, mental health issues, depression, drugs, and how religious people are far more happy and engage in more happy making behavior. It ends by invoking a founding father proclamation from John Adams and quoting Breitbart.

Nothing like a good ol' guilt trip to try to keep you tethered to Joe Skygod!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:03 pm I don't think I've ever read The Daily Wire, but reading this on The Daily Wire warms by cold, atheist heart.

God Help Us: Atheism Becomes Largest Religion In U.S.

The article states the facts of the matter up front and then immediately pivots to talking about anxiety disorders, mental health issues, depression, drugs, and how religious people are far more happy and engage in more happy making behavior. It ends by invoking a founding father proclamation from John Adams and quoting Breitbart.

Nothing like a good ol' guilt trip to try to keep you tethered to Joe Skygod!
As an atheist with a history of depression, I do think there is a correlation. I'd be much happier if I could chalk up everything bad to "it's God's will" or "everything happens for a reason," or believing a tragic death is just someone being with Jesus now. Hell, I'm sure I'd be happier believing my existence was intentional and I served a purpose then got eternal life in heaven rather than being a fluke set of infinite circumstances followed by nothingness. I also believe a person who tends to question everything is more likely to have depression than someone who can have true faith in a higher power. I think the sense of community of belonging to a church or religious group brings an internal sense of purpose and belonging, and lacking those things can cause depression.

I should read the article before commenting, but I do think religion serves a great purpose, and I think I'd be better if I could believe, but I just can't do it. A couple months ago, listening to the Rabbi at my Aunt's funeral, I really felt a strong spiritual pull from what he was saying, and made me feel a strong bond to my family members I lost touch with 20+ years ago. It was deep, and made me feel like I am really missing something. Maybe I should join an Arsenal fan club.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've written and deleted three or four responses because they're all pretty mean to religious people.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:50 pmMaybe I should join an Arsenal fan club.
No, don;t do anything that crazy.

I consider myself an agnostic with a suspicion that there is nothing after this life.

But as I get older - and as I go to more funerals, the ceremonies start to mean more to me.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There's an old saying: Ignorance is bliss.

I used to think it was a hokey, lame statement that didn't quite make sense.

But then I realize that there are just some people who aren't built to reckon with truth and, as the saying goes, the truth hurts.

Not saying I know where we go after death, no one does, but it would make sense that if you believe there's a magical Christmas land at the end and everything is easy, you don't have to do much thinking about anything, which seems to be the crux of your situation.

I go the opposite route. I can't be educated enough. If my predeliction for knowing what's right ends up making me angry or turning from "your truth," then so be it.

Ignorance sucks.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Atheism is not a religion. It's the rejection of a claim. While one's worldview may affect how they behave, it has no mandates for how to behave.

Also, these people break down Christianity into every sect in order to determine that they are a minority, but when it's time to claim that this is a Christian nation, they have no problem whatsoever lumping in everyone from Southern Evangelicals to Unitarian Universalists.

Also John Adams...
"President John Adams, of course, signed the Treaty of Tripoli, his outreach to Muslims," Olbermann said. "Quote, 'The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.' That was ratified by the United States Senate without debate unanimously in 1797."
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Retired Pope"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

WaPo had a much more detailed article on Benedict's ramblings. LINK

And, I noticed this in the article,
“He speaks only a little about victims,” said Vito Mancuso, an author who has written books about Catholic theology and philosophy. “It’s almost an excuse for the one thing that he is truly interested in: the traditionalist restoration inside the church.”[/url]
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sounds like he, like most of the elderly, is watching Fox News.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 pm Sounds like he, like most of the elderly, is watching Fox News.
Volpe News!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

As a reminder, the cute Pope that you guys seem to love so much is harboring the old Pope in the Vatican under the guise of diplomatic immunity so he cannot be indicted for crimes against humanity. That's a thing that's happening every fucking day. Fill those coffers though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:54 am As a reminder, the cute Pope that you guys seem to love so much is harboring the old Pope in the Vatican under the guise of diplomatic immunity so he cannot be indicted for crimes against humanity. That's a thing that's happening every fucking day. Fill those coffers though.
The Swamp is rife with papists!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am
Jerloma wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:54 am As a reminder, the cute Pope that you guys seem to love so much is harboring the old Pope in the Vatican under the guise of diplomatic immunity so he cannot be indicted for crimes against humanity. That's a thing that's happening every fucking day. Fill those coffers though.
Ha. I just did a message board search for “Francis” and it appears that there are a lot more positive posts on here about Ron Francis and Steve Francis than about Pope Francis.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anything short of complete and utter disdain is unacceptable!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I read this too fast and thought we were in the confessions thread.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:46 am
I read this too fast and thought we were in the confessions thread.
mapists?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

North Dakotan man misinterprets Palm Sunday.
The church’s pastor, Father Todd Kreitinger, was conducting mass when Burdick appeared and “dipped his rear-end into the Holy Water fountain and splashed around a bit before entering the sanctuary while masturbating.” Kreitinger estimated that it would cost $500 to clean and sanitize the font.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kinda feel like he made his point and decided to be cruel for cruelty’s sake. And it’s not really a good comparison tbh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:12 am Kinda feel like he made his point and decided to be cruel for cruelty’s sake. And it’s not really a good comparison tbh.
No, it’s fair. His uncle wasn’t thinking beyond his own nose. So he turned the table on him to show him just how stupid he sounds.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 pm
Giff wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:12 am Kinda feel like he made his point and decided to be cruel for cruelty’s sake. And it’s not really a good comparison tbh.
No, it’s fair. His uncle wasn’t thinking beyond his own nose. So he turned the table on him to show him just how stupid he sounds.
Or he could’ve stopped after the first two examples and then explained in simple terms why the uncle is wrong. Throwing someone’s cancer in their face is cruel for no reason at all.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:06 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 pm
Or he could’ve stopped after the first two examples and then explained in simple terms why the uncle is wrong. Throwing someone’s cancer in their face is cruel for no reason at all.
Except there was a reason to say it.

As Isaac Asimov observed in 1980:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My problem isn’t with the fact he said anything at all.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:03 pm My problem isn’t with the fact he said anything at all.
I understand that. I'm saying he was well within his right to leverage his uncle's life event to better emphasize to him how he's coming across. I didn't detect maliciousness. And at any rate, it's not like it was used against his uncle. It was used to prove his uncle's position was wholly ignorant and stupid.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I obviously don't know the full context of their relationship, but in my experience of dealing with people who live for "take that" moments and refuse to ever hear another's side of a story, those exact types have that kind of exchange coming to them.

So in my mind, worth it. They have to feel what it's like to be owned. Fuck 'em.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Thread

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:28 pm Thread

Fuck, that dude is creepy. Worst case of crazy eyes I've ever seen, enhanced by the plastic surgery. I was waiting for him to snap in a rage. Also, I need to use the delay tactic of "let me pray on that." It's astounding that people will actually give these preachers money.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And the overt sexism to add to it. "I love your eyes ... sweetheart ... baby." And pointing down at her like she was subservient.

He looks like a legit villain from a television show. I bet he has some devious sexual kinks.

Also, an absolutely incredible display of keeping your composure there by the interviewer though. Extremely impressive. I would have flipped my shit.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A reminder that Catholics should not support or attend LGBTQ “Pride Month” events held in June. They promote a culture and encourage activities that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals. They are especially harmful for children.

— Bishop Thomas Tobin (@ThomasJTobin1) June 1, 2019
Yes...he said "harmful for children."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 am
A reminder that Catholics should not support or attend LGBTQ “Pride Month” events held in June. They promote a culture and encourage activities that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals. They are especially harmful for children.

— Bishop Thomas Tobin (@ThomasJTobin1) June 1, 2019
Yes...he said "harmful for children."
W.Va. bishop gave powerful cardinals and other priests $350,000 in cash gifts before his ouster, church records show
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“The bad news is, your body is inhabited by an evil spirit. The good news is, I can suck it out through your dick.”
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

“He would then ingest my ejaculate and then would spit up multiple pieces of plastic or metal into a Ziploc bag,”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

When he was blowing me and saying he would get the poison out, I assumed it was an expression, I didn't realize it was an exorcism.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For J-Lo: A Christian group has gotten 20,000 signatures on a petition sent to Netflix to cancel a show that is on Amazon Prime.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ha! Either way, sounds like my kind of show. What is it?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 am Ha! Either way, sounds like my kind of show. What is it?
Good Omens, starring your boy.