Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by Jerloma »

I'm sure he is. Did I say something anti-Ben Folds?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Jerloma wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What do you want to know? People mutilate the genitals of their infants because they think that the dude that created foreskins doesn't want them there.
Isn't circumcision still pretty common? How many circumcisions these days are motivated by religious belief at all, let alone an actual belief that the dude who created foreskins doesn't want them there?
Oh well I think it's common enough where people do it without even thinking about the actual reason anymore. I think that's the case for most religious rituals being practiced today. It's still an action that's the result of a divine mandate though.*

*To be fair, there is some debate about it being healthier as it reduces the chance of infection although this isn't completely accepted by the medical community. If the motivation was truly completely secular and only being done for health reasons, wouldn't you have to have their appendix removed too though? That thing is a fucking ticking time bomb of doom. What an utterly useless organ. Unfortunately, God didn't make David bring him the appendixes of all the Philistines that he killed for him because God didn't know what the hell an appendix was.
An obstetrician once told me that if you're counting on being circumcised as the thing between you and an STD, you're nuts. I think most people do it because they themselves are circimcised and didn't give any thought to not doing it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back when I was in junior high, the one guy in the phys ed locker room who wasn't circumcised was an object of some juvenile ribbing/derision. I wonder if that possible issue affects parents' decisions nowadays? I wonder if it is any more common nowadays for a kid to be uncircumcised?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Would I have had a son, I definitely would have had him circumcised. No religious reasoning whatsoever, natch, just a desire for him to resemble the majority of his peers, and a reluctance to deal with "Why does my pee pee look different thandaddies pee pee" type questions.

Of course, it would have been done almost immediately after birth, so none of that "scarred for life" bullshit. And it would have been done in a sterile hospital environment, and not the back seat of a Royal Deluxe II
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have no doubts at all that most people do it out of social conformity. I'm just saying that if YHWH hadn't asked David to bring him a bag of dicks, the mushroom look would be the one that got made fun of in high school locker rooms. The one-eyed snake would be the norm.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:Back when I was in junior high, the one guy in the phys ed locker room who wasn't circumcised was an object of some juvenile ribbing/derision. I wonder if that possible issue affects parents' decisions nowadays? I wonder if it is any more common nowadays for a kid to be uncircumcised?
Yeah, that's pretty much why we had our boys circumcised. We talked about not doing it, but a very unscientific poll of peers gave us the feeling that most folks were still doing it and we didn't want our kids to have the weird dick in middle school.

Kind of a shitty reason, of course, but there you go.
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Last check-up I had, and I don't do it often enough but it was maybe a year ago . . . the doctor commented "You have an excellent circumcision, really, perfect, one of the best I've ever seen."

Uh huh.

And I thought, what the fuck? Why the hell would you compliment some guy on that? It's not as if I did it myself.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

As a dude who wasn't, it kind of was weird to learn that that's what the norm was. Health class suddenly made feel insecure and, for a long, long time I kept it a secret. I never really told anyone or felt the need to. I thought if I did it would be a brand new reason to be harrassed by everyone. Life was already tough enough being a scrawny dude who was picked on often.

Luckily I didn't play sports or be in a position to group shower during middle/high school. And as I got older I realized it wasn't a big deal. In fact, it's rather grotesque if you ask me. Though I'm thinking if I had boys I'd have the procedure done on them because I'm pretty sure any girl I have kids with will want it that way.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie wrote:Last check-up I had, and I don't do it often enough but it was maybe a year ago . . . the doctor commented "You have an excellent circumcision, really, perfect, one of the best I've ever seen."

Uh huh.

And I thought, what the fuck? Why the hell would you compliment some guy on that? It's not as if I did it myself.
That's just a really fucking weird thing to say.

Out of curiosity, were you raised religiously?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote:Back when I was in junior high, the one guy in the phys ed locker room who wasn't circumcised was an object of some juvenile ribbing/derision. I wonder if that possible issue affects parents' decisions nowadays? I wonder if it is any more common nowadays for a kid to be uncircumcised?
I think I was the "one guy" in my school who wasn't circumcised, but there was no derision because, just like everyone else, I kept my dick to myself in the locker room.

With my son, we decided we wouldn't do it, but it ended up being moot because he was born with hypospadias and needed an operation when he was just a couple months old.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
I think I was the "one guy" in my school who wasn't circumcised, but there was no derision because, just like everyone else, I kept my dick to myself in the locker room.

With my son, we decided we wouldn't do it, but it ended up being moot because he was born with hypospadias and needed an operation when he was just a couple months old.
Not to turn this into the mutilated dicks thread, but why weren't you circumcised?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I think it was just because my dad was from the Old Country, and that wasn't something they did in the Old Country - or at least it wasn't something Catholics did.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: With my son, we decided we wouldn't do it, but it ended up being moot because he was born with hypospadias and needed an operation when he was just a couple months old.
Interesting, according to wiki it is the second most common genital birth defect in males. Never heard of it, but I guess that is because it is very easily corrected at a very young age. Most kids probably never get told they had it done. Anywho, I only really knew of one guy growing up with a turtle neck. I don't know how much the teasing affected him, but he turned it more into a party trick than anything else. Dude had so many other problems, that had to be pretty far down the list, but at least he was finally diagnosed as bi-polar and I hear responded well to treatment. But I digress.

Well, Johnnie, now we know why you have a difficult time getting laid, eh? Scottie, I have no idea what to make of your doctor's circumcision comments. Just bizarre.

As for my son, we never really discussed it. We knew we weren't doing a ceremonial Bris. As a Jew, I have actually never been to one other than my own. I find the ritual barbaric and repulsive, and don't get the concept of inviting the whole extended family and friends to the house for the occasion. I have never had to intentionally duck out of one, just been fortunate enough to not be able to attend when invited, so never had to think about. Anywho, with my son, the Jewish OB-Gyn asked if we planned on doing a ceremonial circumcision, we said no and he said he would do it the day after the birth. We kind of left it at that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The "Old Country"?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:The "Old Country"?
My father was first generation Canadian (his father was born in Belgium), and he uses that term all the time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I think it was just because my dad was from the Old Country, and that wasn't something they did in the Old Country - or at least it wasn't something Catholics did.
That's funny, because it's something nearly every Catholic & Christian on Long Island does. I didn't meet a Jewish person until I went away to college, and all of my friends were circumcised.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yugoslavia.

Edit - What sancarlos said.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote:
My father was first generation Canadian (his father was born in Belgium), and he uses that term all the time.
Right but I didn't think circumcision was a new thing. If anything I would have thought it was something more conducive to the "Old Country." That's why I found that confusing.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Right but I didn't think circumcision was a new thing. If anything I would have thought it was something more conducive to the "Old Country." That's why I found that confusing.
I think it's a relatively new thing among Gentiles.

Does anyone remember the old SNL skit, If Superman Fought for the Nazis?

Superman used his x-ray vision to see through Jimmy Olstein's clothes and see that he was a Jew.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So Steve and SC are pinko, commies? WTF!
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Jerloma wrote:What percentage of Muricans would get that he's actually making fun of a guy that performs barefoot with skinny jeans and eye make-up?
Wait. Wut?

Every video I've seen so far is purely an onstage persona?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have no idea if you're fucking with me or not so I'm just gonna go to sleep.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You 2 really need to be in a buddy comedy together.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i'm not circumsized, because apparently my dads brother was when he was a baby and it was botched. I do feel like the guy with the weird equipment. I wish they had had it done. I wish i was, but now that i'm old enough to get it done, I'm too terrified by the thought of being snipped to let it happen. Some women just don't know how to deal with unsnipped equipment.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

We chose not to do it and once that decision was made, the doctors and nurses said they agreed with us. It apparently is becoming less common, but the majority are still circumcised. I'll deal with the issues that come with him looking different than others when it's appropriate. My decision was primarily based on it being nothing more than cosmetic surgery and just didn't want to have anything unnecessary performed on my son.

The whole doing it in your home thing just makes me uncomfortable. I had a discussion with a co-worker who went to her nephew's bris and it just seemed not right to do it outside of a hospital. You never know what could happen. Sure, the odds are long, but still.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, well you could apparently get herpes for one thing. Get him an appendectomy instead. Could save his life some day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:You 2 really need to be in a buddy comedy together.
Greatest idea ever. I say we lock Scottie and SLolz in a basement together until they complete the script.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Aren't comedies supposed to be funny?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote:I have no doubts at all that most people do it out of social conformity. I'm just saying that if YHWH hadn't asked David to bring him a bag of dicks, the mushroom look would be the one that got made fun of in high school locker rooms. The one-eyed snake would be the norm.
Abraham started circumcisions, on himself at 99 years old. He also snipped Isaac. It was done to show the covenant with g-d.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

All in all, a better deal than the first offer for/of Issac. And an excuse for me to post one of my fav lyrics ever

G_d said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe said, "Man, you must be puttin' me on!"
G_d said, "No."
Abe said, "What?"
G_d said, "Abe, you can do what you want."
"But the next time you see me comin', you better run!"
Abe said, "Where you want this killing done?"
G_d said, "Out there, on Highway 61"

Here is a very cool cover version:

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

bfj wrote:
Not anymore. When's the last time you watched one? Comedies are anything but funny these days.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I have no doubts at all that most people do it out of social conformity. I'm just saying that if YHWH hadn't asked David to bring him a bag of dicks, the mushroom look would be the one that got made fun of in high school locker rooms. The one-eyed snake would be the norm.
Abraham started circumcisions, on himself at 99 years old. He also snipped Isaac. It was done to show the covenant with g-d.
Holy shit...like attempting to murder his child wasn't enough? He also the needed to cut off the top of his dick? He's like the neediest God ever invented.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Scottie wrote:
bfj wrote:
Not anymore. When's the last time you watched one? Comedies are anything but funny these days.
Other than Harry Potter, LOTR and assorted kids movies, I haven't seen a movie in 12 years.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:All in all, a better deal than the first offer for/of Issac. And an excuse for me to post one of my fav lyrics ever

G_d said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe said, "Man, you must be puttin' me on!"
G_d said, "No."
Abe said, "What?"
G_d said, "Abe, you can do what you want."
"But the next time you see me comin', you better run!"
Abe said, "Where you want this killing done?"
G_d said, "Out there, on Highway 61"
Reminds of a routine by some forgettable stand-up comedian I saw ...

I'm a skinny Jew, from Minnesota.
There's just a few, we had a quota.
Hodor
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hodor »

Hodor
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: As for my son, we never really discussed it. We knew we weren't doing a ceremonial Bris. As a Jew, I have actually never been to one other than my own. I find the ritual barbaric and repulsive, and don't get the concept of inviting the whole extended family and friends to the house for the occasion. I have never had to intentionally duck out of one, just been fortunate enough to not be able to attend when invited, so never had to think about. Anywho, with my son, the Jewish OB-Gyn asked if we planned on doing a ceremonial circumcision, we said no and he said he would do it the day after the birth. We kind of left it at that.
So...you find it barbaric and repulsive, but you still had it done? I've been through 2 with my sons and I can tell you that they really aren't grievously injured and the recovery time is a few days. I kind of prefer the Jewsh way of doing it as opposed to my kid being strapped to a board in a hospital setting. My sons were surrounded by loved ones who held them as it was done. Quick snip and it's over with. The party part is optional, but it let's your family/friends come see the baby and shower love on them.

Also the mohels are specialist at these things. I wonder how many OB/GYN's practice circumcisions. I trust the experts.

As far as the mouth on D thing. I equate the Jews that do that with the goyim who dance with poisonous snakes. A weird fringe group who even the ultra Orthodox look at as freaks. I have a few ultra Orthodox friends and they have never seen that ritual done at any Bris they've attended.
Hodor
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hodor »

Hodor
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:
The Sybian wrote: As for my son, we never really discussed it. We knew we weren't doing a ceremonial Bris. As a Jew, I have actually never been to one other than my own. I find the ritual barbaric and repulsive, and don't get the concept of inviting the whole extended family and friends to the house for the occasion. I have never had to intentionally duck out of one, just been fortunate enough to not be able to attend when invited, so never had to think about. Anywho, with my son, the Jewish OB-Gyn asked if we planned on doing a ceremonial circumcision, we said no and he said he would do it the day after the birth. We kind of left it at that.
So...you find it barbaric and repulsive, but you still had it done? I've been through 2 with my sons and I can tell you that they really aren't grievously injured and the recovery time is a few days. I kind of prefer the Jewsh way of doing it as opposed to my kid being strapped to a board in a hospital setting. My sons were surrounded by loved ones who held them as it was done. Quick snip and it's over with. The party part is optional, but it let's your family/friends come see the baby and shower love on them.

Also the mohels are specialist at these things. I wonder how many OB/GYN's practice circumcisions. I trust the experts.

As far as the mouth on D thing. I equate the Jews that do that with the goyim who dance with poisonous snakes. A weird fringe group who even the ultra Orthodox look at as freaks. I have a few ultra Orthodox friends and they have never seen that ritual done at any Bris they've attended.
I find the ceremonial aspect and the covenant with G-d aspect barbaric, not the medical procedure. Inviting people into my home to watch the removal of skin from my son's genitals in my living room, then serving hors d'oeuvres and cocktails seems weird. Allowing a doctor to perform the act in a hospital doesn't to me. Listen, I'm about the only person in my family that opted for the hospital over the at home bris, so I'm surely not judging. I went to Hebrew School 3 days a week from the time I was 6, so I was taught the traditions before I was old enough to question it. But as an adult, I have to agree with J-Lo. The Abraham circumcision story really makes no sense, and I was really thinking about it this morning, and sealed the deal that I'm not teaching my kids religion until they are old enough to question what they are told.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sybian wrote:But as an adult, I have to agree with J-Lo. The Abraham circumcision story really makes no sense, and I was really thinking about it this morning, and sealed the deal that I'm not teaching my kids religion until they are old enough to question what they are told.
My kids actually go to church with my wife when she feels inclined to actually go. I don't mind at all but I tell them three things...

1. That person standing in front of a room is just a person like you and me sharing their opinion. They have no deeper insights into things we can't observe than anyone else.

2. That book they're reading is just a book like Harry Potter or Junie B Jones is a book. There's nothing magical about it...whatsoever.

3. There's no such thing as hell. Anyone who tries to threaten you with pain and torture for not thinking the same thing that they think is a bad person and should not be trusted.

This tends to make the indoctrination process challenging. If they do embrace these ideas...so be it. But it will be because they find them plausible; not because they find them tenacious.

Also, when my kids ask me questions about the world, I tend not to make things up. If you expose them to the wonders of science at an early age...those miracles in the bible just come off looking cheap and tawdry.

And if they ask me what happens after we die, I don't tell them we're just worm food either. I just tell them that nobody really knows but the unknown shouldn't scare you. Then I ask them what they think happens after we die.

Okay, that's all you get. No charge for that, fellas.