The Nostalgiaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Nostalgiaganza

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm I studied Godard at University and we watched a couple of films that I really liked. Old Godard.

Haven't seen his "King Lear" but brace yourself... it could epically suck.
Yeah, when it comes to Godard, I think it's best to stick to the French New Wave stuff, and avoid his political stuff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm Yeah, when it comes to Godard, I think it's best to stick to the French New Wave stuff, and avoid his political stuff.
The only post-'60s movie I saw was 'In Praise of Love' (2001). I know that I enjoyed it, but I can't remember anything other than an anti-American streak that ran thru it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:49 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm Yeah, when it comes to Godard, I think it's best to stick to the French New Wave stuff, and avoid his political stuff.
The only post-'60s movie I saw was 'In Praise of Love' (2001). I know that I enjoyed it, but I can't remember anything other than an anti-American streak that ran thru it.
My wife and I have been on an old French movie kick over the past couple years - especially through the pandemic. Watched Breathless, Jules and Jim, Shoot the Piano Player, The 400 Blows, Le Samourai and also some even older ones like Rififi, Bob the Flambeur, Pepe le Moko, Elevator to the Gallows...

eta: Have Rocco and His Brothers lined up in queue now...
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

You and your wife have ambitious taste. I approve.

Miles Davis performed the soundtrack for 'Elevator to the Gallows.' Even if for no other reason, it's worth watching.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:54 pm
bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:49 pm
My wife and I have been on an old French movie kick over the past couple years - especially through the pandemic. Watched Breathless, Jules and Jim, Shoot the Piano Player, The 400 Blows, Le Samourai and also some even older ones like Rififi, Bob the Flambeur, Pepe le Moko, Elevator to the Gallows...

eta: Have Rocco and His Brothers lined up in queue now...
Good lord, that looks like the syllabus for the course I took on "La Nouvelle Vague" - French cinema in the 1950's and 60's!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A lot of the ones I've seen recently are Film Noir. I've seen most of the best American ones of the classic era, so now I'm looking elsewhere.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:08 pm You and your wife have ambitious taste. I approve.

Miles Davis performed the soundtrack for 'Elevator to the Gallows.' Even if for no other reason, it's worth watching.
Yep. Every Saturday evening and Sunday Morning, the TCM channel shows an old film noir film on their "Noir Alley" series. They use some of Miles Davis' music from that movie for their theme.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I wish that 1999 bapo could talk film with 2021 sancarlos. But I'm out of my depth these days.

Conversely, 1999 bapo wasn't following hockey. What would we have talked about? What would have been the ideal time in history for us to meet?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:38 pm I wish that 1999 bapo could talk film with 2021 sancarlos. But I'm out of my depth these days.

Conversely, 1999 bapo wasn't following hockey. What would we have talked about? What would have been the ideal time in history for us to meet?
Ha ha. 1999 sancarlos was watching hockey, but in general a pretty different person than nowadays, methinks.

Come out to the Bay Area some time and we'll figure out something to talk about. Maybe beer.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:42 pm Maybe beer.
I didn't start drinking until ~2005, so in 1999 we couldn't have talked about beer, either. And the craft-beer scene was almost nonexistent then anyway.

Yeah, I was a much different person then. Unfortunately, I've retained all of my bad traits, and added some new ones.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

No Godard tonight. Watching Pens/Flyers. So I want to talk hockey.

Last spring, I watched as many '70s Montreal Canadiens games as I could find. I was curious, after reading so much about them, what they would look like when I actually saw them. I wanted to know which players would stand out. Every player on those teams was excellent, and a bunch were Hall of Famers, so how would they distinguish themselves?

Well, Guy Lafleur stood out, obviously. My eyes were drawn to him every time he was on the ice. Gorgeous skater, especially for that era. But there was one weird part of his game. He took a lot of slapshots from the perimeter. I couldn't understand why because he could outskate everybody else on the ice. But then I saw him score a bunch of goals from out there. Okay. You be you, Guy.

The biggest revelation was Larry Robinson. He was amazing. Again, a Hall of Famer, so I shouldn't have been surprised. But on a team with Savard, LaPointe, Lemaire, Cornoyer, Shutt, Risebrough, Lambert, etc., he's the one I noticed. I thought that only Bobby Orr played like that in the '70s, but Robinson was all over the ice. He would fit in very well in today's game. Just a beautiful, dynamic player. And his hair and mustache made him look a lot like John Holmes, who was also very dynamic.

Anybody else here ever watch/rewatch historical teams to see how they measure up to your idea of them?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Anyway, this is just an excuse to talk about '70s commercials, especially Canadian commercials. They were so wholesome! A lot of singing about cars and airlines and beer.

This ScotiaBank commercial featuring kids playing hockey is adorable. And I like this Molson 'You Gotta Have Heart' commercial a lot. Hockey and beer are better when singing is involved.

During the 1978 Stanley Cup Finals, the CBC aired a promo for a show called 'This Land.'
Looking to the past. Looking to the future. And focusing on Canada and Canadians. The story of east-coast lighthouses and the people who man them. On 'Voices From the Rapids,' follow the old voyageur routes down the French River. 'House of Trees' traces the development of log-building in Canada. And 'The Polar People': a look at the Arctic today and the Inuit with Farley Mowat.
Now imagine a promo like that on Super Bowl Sunday, sandwiched between promos for 'Hell's Kitchen' and 'The Masked Singer.'

Labatt's had a bunch of great commercials then, featuring their ever-present hot-air balloon. I couldn't find my favorite on its own, so I isolated/edited it and uploaded it myself. I've been using YouTube for 16 years, and I've uploaded exactly 1 video: a 1970s Canadian beer commercial. This probably says a lot about me. I first saw this about a year ago, and I think I've heard the melody in my head every day since. I love this commercial as much as I love Ken Dryden.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 pm No Godard tonight. Watching Pens/Flyers. So I want to talk hockey.
Going to take a while to get used to seeing fans again. Probably longer than it took to get used to no fans.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm
bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 pm No Godard tonight. Watching Pens/Flyers. So I want to talk hockey.
Going to take a while to get used to seeing fans again. Probably longer than it took to get used to no fans.
Those fans were probably so excited, and then they learned about Crosby being 'in the protocol.' I can't wait until that phrase is no longer part of our vocabulary. Maybe Malkin will 'be fire' again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kreider quietly(?) at a 41 goal pace.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Is Kreider fire? I think not.

Kapanen has 2 goals for the Pens tonight. I love when my initial reaction to a Pens move is contradictory to 80% of Penguins Internet. It happened with Hagelin, and it happened with Tanev and Kapanen. Tanev and Kapanen have been two of their best forwards this year.

Anyway, wrong thread for that. Here's a pic of Ken Dryden.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If Kapanen had gotten that third goal maybe you’d be right...

NBCSN crew (Pierre!) mentioned that Carter Hart and Tristan Jarry are friends and train together and have another mutual friend who owns a car dealership and promised the winner of the head to head season series between the two of them the use of a brand new Lamborghini for a week.

Which seems nice but I’m of an age and grew up in a region where the mention of Flyers goalies and sports cars leads to only one place...
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 pm Flyers goalies and sports cars
Ugh. It probably won't surprise you to learn that I've gone back to find Philadelphia news coverage of Pelle Lindbergh. Damn it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I just remember seeing that crumpled red Porsche on the news every night for a while there.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:06 pm I just remember seeing that crumpled red Porsche on the news every night for a while there.
Sort of related, in the on-the-news-all-the-time-in-the-mid-'80s sense, I drove thru Freeport a couple of days ago. Every time I pass thru that area, I remember Cherrie Mayhan, an 8-year-old girl who disappeared there in 1985. Anybody my age or older who lived in Pittsburgh then knows this name. She was on the news every day for weeks. And then on the anniversaries. I still get those 'Have you seen me?' cards in the mail with her picture on them, with a digital representation of what she might look like today.

I'm not a parent, and I don't have any kind of nurturing instinct, but whenever I hear about any kind of violence against kids, it just wrecks me. Cherrie Mayhan is still one of those stories. I'm sure that everybody has a story like that, wherever they grew up.

Thanks for bringing the mood down, rass. (As if I needed help.) The Penguins won, at least.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’ll try to “rebound” (goalie term) the conversation here and say a friend of a friend’s dad owned a local dealership and worked with Brian Boucher who, by all accounts, was a nice and safe guy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And thanks for forcing me look that case up, Bapo!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:45 pm I’ll try to “rebound” (goalie term) the conversation here and say a friend of a friend’s dad owned a local dealership and worked with Brian Boucher who, by all accounts, was a nice and safe guy.
This is exactly the kind of anecdote I need to hear.

I'll reward you with my favorite of the famous Miller Lite commercials starring ex-athletes -- Philadelphia's Joe Frazier, playing off his reputation as a tolerated lounge singer. (Joe Frazier is either my favorite or second-favorite boxer, depending on how I'm feeling about Floyd Patterson on a given day.)
And thanks for forcing me look that case up, Bapo!
Yeah, it sucks. I hate that this kind of thing happens.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh boy ... another local/personal angle on this one so I’d say maybe don’t learn more about Floyd Patterson.

(I don’t know how accurate this memory is, but I remember Tracy fighting on actual TV during a massive blizzard and it being the biggest local sporting event since Rik Smits.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m looking this up now and can’t find anything so I don’t know if I’ve completely made a massive rift up or if it was local and not widely reported.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I'm not seeing anything unseemly about Tracy Patterson, but I want to know more if you find it.

I love Floyd mostly for his out-of-ring self. Talked openly of fear and insecurity. Brought disguises with him so that he could sneak out of fights unnoticed if he lost. I know that he had some trouble late in life. Had to resign as Chairman of New York's Athletic Commission when his memory started to desert him.

If you can find them, James Baldwin and Gay Talese wrote great features about him in the '60s.
Sandra Patterson and their four children live in a $100,000 home in an upper-middle-class white neighborhood in Scarsdale, New York. Floyd Patterson feels uncomfortable in this home surrounded by a manicured lawn and stuffed with soft furniture, and, since losing his title to Liston, he has preferred living full time at his camp, which his children have come to know as “Daddy’s house.” The children, the eldest of whom is a six-year-old daughter named Jeannie, do not know exactly what their father does for a living. But Jeannie, who watched the last Liston–Patterson fight on closed-circuit television, accepted the explanation that her father performs in a kind of game where the men take turns pushing one another down; he had his turn pushing them down, and now it is their turn.
(Bobby Kennedy, my favorite historical political figure, had a picture of Patterson in his office. Until he lost to Liston.)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

for some reason the lure of 70s commercials will always get me. I didn't think I knew the ScotiaBank commercial [eagle eye: you can spot Jim Schoenfeld on the cover of that magazine in the "locker room"] until that final "Grow With Uuuuuus" jingle. yup - that triggered something.

But wow - this Molson commercial I remember with weird and vivid clarity and suddenly was/am transformed into a 1st grader again.

dammit now i gotta go, late for school...first though i have to put my snow boots on after i've slipped a plastic bread bag over my feet/socks....
bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:01 pm Anyway, this is just an excuse to talk about '70s commercials, especially Canadian commercials. They were so wholesome! A lot of singing about cars and airlines and beer.

This ScotiaBank commercial featuring kids playing hockey is adorable. And I like this Molson 'You Gotta Have Heart' commercial a lot. Hockey and beer are better when singing is involved.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Bread bags on your feet! Wow.

I like the 'Let it be Lowenbrau' commercials from that era, too. That's another melody that's in my head a lot. I usually make up sexually explicit lyrics to sing along to it.

There were a lot of stereo ads in the '70s. It's nice to think of a time when everybody considered himself an audiophile, rather than playing everything thru ear-buds or cheap laptop speakers. The prices were outrageous, tho. Even before adjusting for inflation, I would never pay that much money for a stereo. But in the '70s? I totally would have been one of those guys: You've got to hear 'More Than a Feeling' on my new Hi-Fi!

Biggest surprise was seeing Sonny Rollins, one of my jazz heroes, in a 1977 ad for Pioneer stereos. Just blowing his saxophone alone on the Brooklyn Bridge. This is spine-tingling.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:08 pm You and your wife have ambitious taste. I approve.

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud is one of my favourite movies. Had a buddy of a buddy that gave us a tape of the soundtrack back in like 1995 or so. The movie was impossible to find. Finally got the local art video store to buy a copy.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Last spring, I watched as many '70s Montreal Canadiens games as I could find. I was curious, after reading so much about them, what they would look like when I actually saw them. I wanted to know which players would stand out. Every player on those teams was excellent, and a bunch were Hall of Famers, so how would they distinguish themselves?

9 players from that team are in the Hall of Fame. As is their coach.

During the 4 straight cup seasons they lost 46 out of 320 games. Incroyable!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:33 pm 9 players from that team are in the Hall of Fame. As is their coach.
So is Sam Pollock, the GM.

I love that team. I had read a few books about them, so I felt like I knew them. Now that I've watched a bunch of games, yeah, they really were special.

Their goal differential in 1977 was +216!

And, of course, Roger Doucet sang the anthem. He was as good in his role as Larry Robinson was in his.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bapo! wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am I like the 'Let it be Lowenbrau' commercials from that era, too. That's another melody that's in my head a lot. I usually make up sexually explicit lyrics to sing along to it.
I can definitely recite all of the lyrics to the Lowenbrau ads.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:44 pm
bapo! wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am I like the 'Let it be Lowenbrau' commercials from that era, too. That's another melody that's in my head a lot. I usually make up sexually explicit lyrics to sing along to it.
I can definitely recite all of the lyrics to the Lowenbrau ads.
Just did it of the top of my head.

Can still do it to this old Canadian beer ad...

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Just to put a bow on the conversation, I endured Godard's 'King Lear.' It was a mostly joyless 90 minutes, aside from the scene when Molly Ringwald was playing with a sparkler. The story is that the world's art was wiped out after Chernobyl, so a descendant of William Shakespeare is trying to rewrite his plays. Or something.

I should have read the play before watching this. Maybe I would have understood it better. Or maybe I should have watched this 20 years ago, when I would have been more in the mood. Godard tried, but this just wasn't for me. At all.

Typical scene: Burgess Meredith and Molly Ringwald are sitting in a restaurant, reciting lines from 'King Lear,' and then they're talking about gangsters like Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel. A lot of the dialogue is buried underneath the sound of seagulls. An awful lot of seagulls in this movie.

Next up, something enjoyable. Or at least comprehensible.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ever seen "Withnail and I"?

From the late 80s and about the late 60s and one of my top 5 all timers.

(A comedy)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:29 pm Ever seen "Withnail and I"?

From the late 80s and about the late 60s and one of my top 5 all timers.

(A comedy)
I enjoyed that one. Verrrry British.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I've heard of 'Withnail and I,' but I don't know anything about it. I'll add it to my list. Thanks.

Last year, after having not watched a movie in years, I decided to rewatch some of my favorites. 'Synecdoche, New York,' 'Koyaanisqatsi,' 'There Will Be Blood,' 'Boogie Nights,' etc. Then I decided to just watch the worst Nic Cage movies. About an hour ago, I was praying for a Cage cameo in 'Lear.' He would have livened things up.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

bapo! wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:42 pm Then I decided to just watch the worst Nic Cage movies.
Did you catch Valley Girl? (Wouldn't include it in the 'worst' but it is entertaining watching him as the hip outsider new wave dude in the 80's)
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:58 pm Did you catch Valley Girl? (Wouldn't include it in the 'worst' but it is entertaining watching him as the hip outsider new wave dude in the 80's)
Haven't seen 'Valley Girl.' No, I watched 'Snake Eyes' (1998, Brian De Palma) and '8MM' (1999, Joel Schumacher). They were what we thought they were. A week later, Joel Schumacher died, and I felt bad about laughing at his movie.

I found the 'Bad Lieutenant' remake online, but I never finished it. I should check to see if that's still available. I was a big Werner Herzog fan back in the day.

And after rewatching 'Synecdoche,' I wanted to rewatch all of the other movies that Charlie Kaufman had written or directed, but I couldn't find them. And the libraries were closed then. 'Adaptation,' which I loved in 2002, brings together Kaufman and Cage. It's the best of everything.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:58 pm
bapo! wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:42 pm Then I decided to just watch the worst Nic Cage movies.
Did you catch Valley Girl? (Wouldn't include it in the 'worst' but it is entertaining watching him as the hip outsider new wave dude in the 80's)
“When they storm the car. Save the stereo.”
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.