The Nostalgiaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The Nostalgiaganza

Post by DSafetyGuy »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pmThey did, however, show part of Men At Work's set taped earlier in Australia. Men At Work are unfairly remembered as a one-album wonder. I had completely forgotten about 'Overkill,' which is from their second album. One of those forgotten '80s gems.
A tremendous song.
bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pmThe broadcasts themselves are kind of rough. The BBC is reliably professional. But both American broadcasts are marred by technical glitches, dead air, stumbling broadcasters, missed cues, etc. The Orbis broadcast has a minutes-long static shot of JFK Stadium, accompanied by Marilyn McCoo talking to her producer. Live television is hard.
Based on the air date in 1985, this was certainly among the first live, on-location broadcasts MTV had ever done, if not the first. Just a massive undertaking for that inexperienced a network.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Men At Work were a great band, and Colin Hay is like an indie god like Neil Young is to grunge.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm
rass wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:08 pm Living in the Philly media market it was a huge deal and seeing the same thing mentioned on the local news night after night makes an impression
There's a full-length music video about 'The Philadelphia Spirit.' Yes, Philly should be acknowledged for hosting. But at the same time, the day isn't about you, you know?

Of course, it includes the now-uncomfortable cameo by famous resident Bill Cosby.
Ultravox has the rare honor of me liking and despising two of their more popular songs (I really like Reap the Wild Wind, and cannot stand Dancing with Tears in my Eyes).
That's probably bound to happen with any band with a long career and a lot of hits. I'm intrigued by what I've heard. If I discover one new band out of this, it will be worth it.
That's fair. I just have an irrational dislike for that song. The premise is just..weird. Like, if you're crying, what the hell are you dancing for? Dig into Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle or his earlier work with Tubeway Army in the small chance you've not uncovered them before. We all know the song Cars (Pleasure Principle), but there are at least a half dozen songs on that LP that are better. Some a lot more.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:28 pm Men At Work were a great band, and Colin Hay is like an indie god like Neil Young is to grunge.
So that's who Colin Hay is...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:28 pm Men At Work were a great band, and Colin Hay is like an indie god like Neil Young is to grunge.
Colin Hay is still around and seems to be pretty respected. I don't know why Men At Work is some sort of punchline. I mentioned him to a much younger friend this weekend, and even my friend is a fan.
Dig into Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle or his earlier work with Tubeway Army in the small chance you've not uncovered them before.
Oh, I'm a Gary Numan fan. I had never heard 'The Pleasure Principle' until about a year ago, and I was blown away by it. I had always loved 'Cars,' but 'Films' and 'Metal' made me sit up straight in my chair. Amazing stuff.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:41 pm
Colin Hay is still around and seems to be pretty respected. I don't know why Men At Work is some sort of punchline. I mentioned him to a much younger friend this weekend, and even my friend is a fan.
Dig into Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle or his earlier work with Tubeway Army in the small chance you've not uncovered them before.
Oh, I'm a Gary Numan fan. I had never heard 'The Pleasure Principle' until about a year ago, and I was blown away by it. I had always loved 'Cars,' but 'Films' and 'Metal' made me sit up straight in my chair. Amazing stuff.
It's a top 5-10 LP of mine. Easily.
Noli Timere Messorem
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:08 pm Based on the air date in 1985, this was certainly among the first live, on-location broadcasts MTV had ever done, if not the first. Just a massive undertaking for that inexperienced a network.
Yeah, I don't want to say anything too critical. It's an extremely long day, and they're in Philly trying to broadcast their own concert, while coordinating satellite feeds from London, Cologne, Moscow, Tokyo, Sydney, etc. That's a tough ask no matter how much experience you have.
syb wrote:but then I realized if I wasn't stuck at my Grandparent's retirement village, I probably wouldn't have been watching TV during Charles and Diana's wedding.
I vaguely remember watching this. Why? Because it was on tv. I watched an ung-dly amount of television when I was a kid. I'll probably watch it again at some point because I think I've run thru all of the available assassinations and airline disasters and Nascar fatalities that I usually watch.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Business as Usual is one of those records that you can find a pristine copy of for like $8 and sounds fantastic. Also I have a new neighbor moving in below me so right now so I'm turning it up loud because they probably need some jams.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:50 pm Also I have a new neighbor moving in below me so right now so I'm turning it up loud because they probably need some jams.
Might as well break them in right away...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm friends with the previous tenants who had to sublet it when they moved out so I had a plan that I'd play loud death metal whenever they had showings that weren't attractive females but then they weren't getting any hits during covid so I felt bad about ever doing that and it never happened and I'm not a jerk the end.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Some notes from the next few hours of Live Aid.

Every few minutes, the American broadcasters air videos encouraging people to donate. I feel like I'm in a committed relationship with Sally Field and Casey Kasem now. Prerecorded videos from politicians and CEOs. Coretta Scott King. Cesar Chavez. Various singers. Julio Iglesias talks about the importance of hope and determination, tells the story of being in an auto accident which ended his soccer career and left him unable to walk for two years. Did you know that Iglesias was a goalie on Real Madrid's reserve team? Iglesias and Johnny Marr would be in the starting 11 of a musical all-star team. Who else would play? Ray Davies maybe?

Philadelphia comes alive at 9:00 a.m. Jack Nicholson greets the crowd, then Joan Baez sings 'Amazing Grace.' She wants the audience to sing with her, but she wants to make sure that everybody knows the words, so she kind of speak/sings each line before singing it for real. There's no flow to it, and nobody else seems to be singing. She should have just counted on the, oh, tens of thousands of people there who already knew the words.

Things get interesting now because London and Philly are running simultaneously, so there are choices to be made. Do you air Nik Kershaw or The Four Tops? Sade or Black Sabbath? Bryan Ferry or Crosby, Stills, and Nash?

Highlight: Marilyn McCoo announcing that Black Sabbath will be coming up later. George Segal, off camera: 'Yeaaahhhhhh!'

Elvis Costello only gets one song, and it's not broadcast in the United States. Life is unfair. Howard Jones also gets one song. I was a Jones fan. Even at 11, I was a sappy sentimentalist.

Paul Young performs 'Every Time You Go Away,' which should be my Swamp theme song. 'Every time you go away, you take a piece of me with you.' I would like to think that Swampers are singing that while I'm on Swamp-sabbatical. And not, like, 'Dancing in the Streets.'

Billy 'William' Ocean proves why this stage is better suited to bands and not pop singers. He's up there alone, singing along to a backing track. He dances around awkwardly as a saxophone or guitar solo plays. Then the backing track is cut off halfway thru his first song. After some confusion, he sings another song, which also ends rather abruptly. I feel bad for him.

In Cologne, a bunch of German singers perform their own 'We Are the World'-type song, 'Band für Afrika.' I'm not really paying attention, but then I hear Nena. Yeah, I know that voice. Now I want to listen to '99 Luftballons' all day.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 pm Anybody have particular memories of this? Ever go back to watch sets on YouTube? What do you think about the whole endeavor?
I was in college during Live-Aid, and was home for the summer, so I watched a fair amount of it. The things I really remember are that Tina Turner was awesome, the guy playing guitar for David Bowie couldn't get the sound during 'Heroes' right, and the Led Zeppelin 'reunion' being pretty lame.

In hindsight, I have watched bits of U2's set on YouTube, and its great. And the Queen set, which is always talked about as being the zenith of Freddy Mercury's powers as a frontman, is, for me anyways, completely ruined by the inclusion of 'Radio Ga Ga'. I hate that song.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:40 pm
bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 pm Anybody have particular memories of this? Ever go back to watch sets on YouTube? What do you think about the whole endeavor?
I was in college during Live-Aid, and was home for the summer, so I watched a fair amount of it. The things I really remember are that Tina Turner was awesome, the guy playing guitar for David Bowie couldn't get the sound during 'Heroes' right, and the Led Zeppelin 'reunion' being pretty lame.

In hindsight, I have watched bits of U2's set on YouTube, and its great. And the Queen set, which is always talked about as being the zenith of Freddy Mercury's powers as a frontman, is, for me anyways, completely ruined by the inclusion of 'Radio Ga Ga'. I hate that song.
That’s quite the pole to have crossed. I guess if I didn’t like the song, it’d piss me off cuz that song is the quintessential call/response with the crowd that rockstars dream of writing. The LiveAid show was impressive, but Wembley in ‘86? What were there, 6 billion fans doing the automaton hand clapping and fist pump?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:40 pm

That song is not good, but it's got the crowd thing going for it, which is probably why they played it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I remember being pretty excited to see Page and Plant together again. I remember Queen being good (but not as good as they seem to be widely remembered today). The Hooters were the first band on tv, iirc. MTV seemed to be pumping them pretty hard in those days. I had the concert broadcast on the tv all day, as I puttered around doing other things. I'd pay attention in spurts, when I heard something I liked.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:40 pm completely ruined by the inclusion of 'Radio Ga Ga'
'Radio Ga Ga' is not my favorite Queen song, either, but there are still about 17 minutes of awesomeness in that set.

I've heard mixed reactions to U2's set. I guess it comes down to whether or not you like/can tolerate Bono. I watched it today for the first time, and I really enjoyed it.
SCKid wrote:The Hooters were the first band on tv, iirc. MTV seemed to be pumping them pretty hard in those days.
'And We Danced,' the only Hooters song I remember, wasn't broadcast because Orbis and MTV were airing that 'Philadelphia Spirit' video. Grr.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:25 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:40 pm completely ruined by the inclusion of 'Radio Ga Ga'
'Radio Ga Ga' is not my favorite Queen song, either, but there are still about 17 minutes of awesomeness in that set.

I've heard mixed reactions to U2's set. I guess it comes down to whether or not you like/can tolerate Bono. I watched it today for the first time, and I really enjoyed it.
SCKid wrote:The Hooters were the first band on tv, iirc. MTV seemed to be pumping them pretty hard in those days.
'And We Danced,' the only Hooters song I remember, wasn't broadcast because Orbis and MTV were airing that 'Philadelphia Spirit' video. Grr.
The other songs that got airplay from their big LP were 'All You Zombies', 'Day by Day' and 'Where do the Children Go'.

I remember liking them when they came out. I liked The Outfield better (for whatever reason they were inextricably linked as far as I was concerned), but they were fun. In a contained sort of way.
Noli Timere Messorem
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Just watched a George Thorogood set, with Bo Diddley and Albert Collins. Sometimes you just want to hear guitars played loudly. I'll always have room in my heart for this kind of music.

There was a power outage during Bryan Adams' set, so MTV had a static overhead shot of JFK stadium for a few minutes. Having JFK Stadium, The Spectrum, and Veterans Stadium on the same plot of land reminds me of the shot in '2001' when all of the planets align.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:25 pm
Ok..maybe 'completely ruined' was going a bit overboard, but John in the Morning will play that set of music on KEXP fairly often, and 'Radio Ga Ga' just doesn't match the other songs in their catalog.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

:D This is such a money comparison, I feel like it needed to be bapo!bolded.
bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:12 pm Having JFK Stadium, The Spectrum, and Veterans Stadium on the same plot of land reminds me of the shot in '2001' when all of the planets align.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Having Lincon Financial Field, the Wells Fargo Center, and Citizens Bank Park on the same plot of land reminds me of the shot in 'Transformers 2' when the robot had testicles.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bapo! wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:12 pm Just watched a George Thorogood set, with Bo Diddley and Albert Collins. Sometimes you just want to hear guitars played loudly. I'll always have room in my heart for this kind of music.
Albert Collins is one of my all-timers - once had a beer with him in the kitchen of a club in Montreal after his final set. Listening to him hold court was a highlight of my years at school.

I was actually thinking of George Thorogood the other day. Never a huge fan of his music, but he gave one of the best concerts I've ever been at. The guy worked hard!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

This is a Richard Burton thread for the rest of the day. I've been going thru a phase. Just read his diaries. Now reading a couple of bios. Watching a movie here and there. I've never really cared about actors before. (I'm more of a writer/director guy.) I've especially never cared about somebody who could be classified as a movie star. But Burton was an interesting guy.

His diaries are entertaining, but kind of tragic. There's a lot of anger and self-loathing there. His marriage to Elizabeth Taylor is turbulent, to put it kindly. But he could write. And it's refreshing to read somebody who talks so much about books. He read hundreds of books per year, so every entry has a reference to whatever he's reading that day. One of the longest and most energetic entries in the book is about his plan to build a library in his new home, with very specific plans laid out.

He was asked to teach a course at St. Peter's at Oxford, and he wrote:
I would like to deal with either the mediaeval poets in English, French, Italian and German and possibly some of the Celtic like Welsh and Irish, or to confine myself to the 'Fantastiks' Donne, Traherne, Henry Vaughn George Herbert...

And that's not all. I mean that chap Herbert was indeed a box where sweets compacted lay. I am as thrilled by the English language as I am by a lovely woman or dreams, green as dreams and deep as death. Christ I'm off and running and will lecture them until iambic pentameter comes out of their nostrils. Little do they know how privileged they are to speak and read and think in the greatest language invented by man. I'll learn them.
Several years later, his entries more often looked like this:
Sunday 18th Booze.
Monday 19th Booze.
Tuesday 20th Booze.
Wednesday 21st Booze.
Thursday 22nd Booze.
Friday 23rd Booze.
Saturday 24th Went into clinic late afternoon.
Sunday 25th Tests and books.
Monday 26th More tests hate clinics.
Tuesday 27th Home from three day check-up in clinic. OK everywhere except for slightly enlarged liver. No wonder.
Michael Munn recalls a conversation when Burton said, 'Sex is one of life's great pleasures. It's there to be enjoyed. It's like drink, or reading, or rugby.' Munn said that sex isn't the same as rugby. Burton responded, 'It is when you're Welsh, boyo!'
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I rewatched 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' (1966), then watched 'Look Back in Anger' (1959). They're both stage adaptations, so they're very actory. But he's great in them, if you're into that kind of thing.

And then I made the mistake of watching 'The Klansman' (1974). Burton is the one kind-hearted liberal in a town of Southern racists. (Also, despite the fact that his family has lived there for generations, he sounds very much like somebody who was born in Wales.) Lee Marvin is the sheriff, trying to maintain peace. One of the villains is named Butt Cutt Cates. OJ Simpson, in his first movie role, is a vigilante, hiding in trees and shooting Klansmen.

There's just so much wrong with this movie. It might have started out with good intentions, but they got lost somewhere around the third rape scene. And Burton is a nonfactor. He was so magnetic a few years earlier. Here, he just kind of coasts along, slurring his words. He was drinking incomprehensible amounts of liquor every day, couldn't remember his lines, had to film a bunch of scenes sitting down or lying in bed because he couldn't stand up, then was rushed to a hospital after filming the final scene.

And he's involved in maybe the worst fight scene to ever appear on film. It's accompanied by a jaunty harmonica tune, so I think it's supposed to be funny. It almost is.

Also, after one of OJ's murders, OJ escapes capture while riding in the back of a Ford Bronco. It's a little too on the nose.
oj 1974 500.jpg
oj 1974 500.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 679 times
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You’ve seen this perhaps in your efforts to gorge, but I came across it on Twitter recently

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Okay, that was worth unblocking Twitter for. Thanks, rass. (Not to ruin the magic, but his journal entries about Lucille Ball are the meanest in a book full of mean-spirited entries.)

I think I've talked before about my favorite trash-movie, 'Candy' (1968). It's one of those dumb comedies with a huge cast and a bunch of celebrity cameos: Burton, Brando, Walter Matthau, Ringo Starr, Sugar Ray Robinson, etc. Burton has one scene, where he plays a pop-poet named MacPhisto, who gives a reading at a high school. It's not what you would call good, but I think it's rather hilarious.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I watch tons and tons of old movies. And, like you Bapo!, I have my favorite actors, writers and directors. But, I have to admit, I've never been any kind of a fan of Richard Burton. I wonder if he would actually even be a memorable celebrity if it weren't for his over-publicized romance with Elizabeth Taylor.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:37 pm I wonder if he would actually even be a memorable celebrity if it weren't for his over-publicized romance with Elizabeth Taylor.
Well, it's hard to discount that. He was pretty notorious for a while there. He and Taylor were condemned by the Vatican, after all.

It's also hard to discount the effect that alcohol had on his career. Think of all of the great movies that came out of the '70s. He should have been a part of that, and he just wasn't.

He's not necessarily one of my favorite actors to watch, like Philip Seymour Hoffman or Paul Giamatti. I'm more just interested in him and his life. I do find him rather captivating to watch, tho. And that voice!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I'm working my way thru the 1989 college football season. (Why 1989? I don't remember.) I just watched Rutgers/Syracuse, which is forgettable in just about every way. But it's a full broadcast of a Jefferson Pilot telecast, so there are a lot of Rolling Rock commercials.

And then it's interrupted by an ABC News special report. This was several days after the Bay Area earthquake, and a man had just been rescued from the rubble on the Bay Bridge. Amazing. I didn't remember this story. And I thought about what a horrible ordeal that must have been, to be trapped in a car for three-and-a-half days with major injuries. That's the stuff of nightmares.

And then I made the mistake of looking him up. Buck Helm. A 58-year-old dock clerk. Died a month later due to respiratory issues. Lived in Weaverville, about 200 miles from San Francisco. Slept in his van all week, then drove home on weekends to see his family. This reminded me of Amy Goldstein's 'Janesville,' the book about a town that lost its GM plant. A group of guys took jobs at a GM plant in Ohio, worked and lived there thru-out the week, then drove home to Wisconsin on weekends. Some people live unimaginably hard lives.

Last week, I watched an Air Force game. I vaguely remembered the name Dee Dowis. When he graduated, he was the all-time leading rusher for a quarterback. Died in a drunk-driving accident in 2016.

But not everything is horrible. Raghib Ismail is just as fun to watch as you remember. And Brent Musberger is narrating this Alabama/Tennessee game that's on now, and that always feels like a big deal. I haven't been watching at all -- just listening to his voice. Sometimes that's enough.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Is there a particular channel on YouTube that you're watching these Bapo! or just googling games, or (perhaps more correctly) do you have an extensive paper record of all the games you have in your extensive VHS and Beta tape collection?

Speaking of which last time I could hang with friends when I was back east, a college buddy had "mix" VHS tapes that we had made in like 1992-1994 that were filled with music videos, late-night movies, comedy, and Looney Tunes bits. Great stuff.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wilkes-Barre, baby.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 pm Is there a particular channel on YouTube that you're watching these Bapo! or just googling games, or (perhaps more correctly) do you have an extensive paper record of all the games you have in your extensive VHS and Beta tape collection?
It's mostly just blind-searching and seeing what I stumble upon. I'll type in the top teams/games and hope for the best. I should have created YouTube playlists, but I never did. But games get posted and deleted so often that playlists are meaningless anyway.

This is what 1989 looks like for me so far. (Yes, I'm a geek, and I catalogue all of the media that I consume.)

LSU/Texas A&M, 9/2/1989, ESPN
Washington State/BYU, 9/7/1989, Thursday, ESPN
Miami/Wisconsin, 9/9/1989, ABC
Clemson/Florida State, 9/9/1989, ESPN
Tennessee/UCLA, 9/9/1989, Prime Ticket
Florida/Ole Miss, 9/9/1989, TBS
Washington/Texas A&M, 9/9/1989, ABC
Rutgers/Boston College, 9/16/1989, JP Sports
Notre Dame/Michigan, 9/16/1989, ABC
Clemson/Virginia Tech, 9/16/1989, Telesport
Tennessee/Duke, 9/16/1989, VideoSeat
Florida State/LSU, 9/16/1989, ESPN
Air Force/UTEP, 9/23/1989, Blue and White Sports/Sunshine Network
USC/Ohio State, 9/23/1989, ABC
Pitt/Syracuse, 9/23/1989, ESPN
Michigan/UCLA, 9/23/1989, ABC
Clemson/Duke, 9/30/1989, JP Sports
Boston College/Ohio State, 9/30/1989, WOSU-TV
Miami/Michigan State, 9/30,1989, ABC
Tennessee/Auburn, 9/30/1989, CBS
USC/Washington State, 9/30/1989, ABC
Pitt/West Virginia, 9/30/1989, ESPN
Penn State/Rutgers, 10/7/1989, MSG Network
Pitt/Temple, 10/7/1989, JP Sports
Tennessee/Georgia, 10/7/1989, ESPN
Texas/SMU, 9/23/1989, Raycom
Washington State/Wyoming, 9/23/1989, Northwest Cable Sports/Prime Sports Northwest
Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, 10/7/1989, Grekel Productions/Sunshine Network
Hawaii/San Diego State, 10/7/1989, KHNL-13-Honolulu
Washington/USC, 10/7/1989, ABC
Georgia/Ole Miss, 10/14/1989, TBS
Texas/Oklahoma, 10/14/1989, Prime Network PPV
Notre Dame/Air Force, 10/14/1989, ESPN
Rutgers/Syracuse, 10/21/1989, JP Sports
Tennessee/Alabama, 10/21/1989, CBS
Notre Dame/USC, 10/21/1989, CBS

This is mostly background noise for me. I've also watched a ton of boxing lately (I pay closer attention to boxing than I do for football), and I've seen maybe five or six magical fights. Pacquiao/Morales I, the Pazienza/Haugen fights, Duran/Barkley, etc. It troubles me how much I love this sport sometimes.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

And this is why you are beloved.

(hey bapo!!)
bapo! wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:32 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 pm Is there a particular channel on YouTube that you're watching these Bapo! or just googling games, or (perhaps more correctly) do you have an extensive paper record of all the games you have in your extensive VHS and Beta tape collection?
It's mostly just blind-searching and seeing what I stumble upon. I'll type in the top teams/games and hope for the best. I should have created YouTube playlists, but I never did. But games get posted and deleted so often that playlists are meaningless anyway.

This is what 1989 looks like for me so far. (Yes, I'm a geek, and I catalogue all of the media that I consume.)

<lots of games>

This is mostly background noise for me. I've also watched a ton of boxing lately (I pay closer attention to boxing than I do for football), and I've seen maybe five or six magical fights. Pacquiao/Morales I, the Pazienza/Haugen fights, Duran/Barkley, etc. It troubles me how much I love this sport sometimes.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm(hey bapo!!)
Happy birthday, Max! (Yeah, I know.)

One of the drawbacks of watching these games is the YouTube search via Roku. YouTube is owned by Google, but its search isn't quite as user-friendly. There's a lot of nonsense to sift thru. So, whenever I try to find a game, I type '1989' and find a bunch of Taylor Swift-related options. I can tolerate Taylor Swift, but YouTube should know after a few dozen searches that I'm more interested in Notre Dame than [whatever the hit single from that album was].

It's still better than when I watched the 1985 season. I saw this screencap from a Bowling for Soup video every day for weeks. It was my personal version of Hell.

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm And this is why you are beloved.
What's that? You want to see which 1986 fights I've watched recently? (Maybe I'm misinterpreting that.) I find this stuff interesting, if for the locations and broadcasters if nothing else. Don't get me wrong. I love that every fight now is in Las Vegas and features a YouTuber, but...

Mike Tyson/David Jaco, 1/11/1986, Albany
Mike Tyson/Mike Jameson, 1/24/1986, Atlantic City, HBA
Roberto Duran/Manuel Zambrano, 1/31/1986, Panama City, Channel 44-Panama
Wilfred Benitez/Matthew Hilton, 2/15/1986, Montreal, CBS
Livingstone Bramble/Tyrone Crawley, 2/16/1986, Reno, Nevada, NBC
Mike Tyson/Jesse Ferguson, 2/16/1986, Troy, NY, ABC
Robbie Sims/John Collins, Las Vegas, 3/9/1986, NBC
Pernell Whitaker/John Montes, 3/9/1986, Hampton, VA, ABC
Mike Tyson/Steve Zouski, 3/10/1986, Uniondale, NY
Richie Sandoval/Gaby Canizales, 3/10/1986, Las Vegas, Top Rank/Showtime
Thomas Hearns/James Shuler, 3/10/1986, Las Vegas, Top Rank/Showtime
Marvin Hagler/John Mugabi, 3/10/1986, Las Vegas, Top Rank/Showtime
Frankie Warren/Sammy Fuentes, 4/6/1986, Corpus Christi, Texas, ABC
Roberto Duran/Jorge Suero, 4/18/1986, Panama City
Larry Holmes/Michael Spinks, 4/19/1986 Las Vegas
Mike Tyson/James 'Quick' Tillis, 5/3/1986, Glens Falls, NY, ABC
Lonnie Smith/Rene Arredondo, 5/5/1986, Los Angeles, Score
å Roy Jones Jr/Victor Levine, 5/10/1986, Golden Gloves Final, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, ESPN
Julio Cesar Chavez/Faustino Barrios, 5/15/1986, Paris, A2
Vinny Pazienza/Harry Arroyo, 5/18/1986, Providence, NBC
Mike Tyson/Mitch Green, 5/20/1986, Madison Square Garden, HBO
Jimmy Paul/Irleis Perez, 6/4/1986, East Rutherford, NJ, Showtime
Mike Tyson/Reggie Gross, 6/13/1986, Madison Square Garden, Don King Productions
Roberto Duran/Robbie Sims, 6/23/1986, Las Vegas, Top Rank
Thomas Hearns/Mark Medal, 6/23/1986, Las Vegas, Top Rank
Mike Tyson/William Hosea, 6/28/1986, Troy, NY
Mike Tyson/Lorenzo Boyd, 7/11/1986, Swan Lake, NY, MSG Network
Evander Holyfield, Dwight Muhammad Qawi, 7/12/1986, Atlanta, ABC
Frankie Warren/Buddy McGirt I, 7/20/1986, Corpus Christi, Texas, NBC
Mike Tyson/Marvis Frazier, 7/26/1986, Glens Falls, NY, ABC
Julio Cesar Chavez/Rocky Lockridge, 8/3/1986, Fontvieille, Monaco, NBC
Mike Tyson/Jose Ribalta, 8/17/1986, Atlantic City, HBO
Mike Tyson/Alfonso Ratliff, 9/6/1986, Las Vegas, HBO
Michael Spinks/Steffen Tangstad, 9/6/1986, Las Vegas, HBO
Livingstone Bramble/Edwin Rosario, 9/26/1986, Miami Beach, HBO
Thomas Hearns/Doug Dewitt, 10/17/1986, Detroit, Showtime
Mike Tyson/Trevor Berbick, 11/22/1986, Las Vegas, Don King Productions
Greg Haugen/Jimmy Paul, 12/5/1986, Las Vegas, Showtime
Julio Cesar Chavez/Juan Laporte, 12/12/1986, Madison Square Garden, HBO

Todd Marinvocich just threw a touchdown pass in this USC/Notre Dame game.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Is quite impressive
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:27 pm Is quite impressive
It's quite...something. If 'impressive' means 'obsessive' or 'cause for an intervention,' then yeah. Maybe it's just a sign of too much free time. Man, I miss The Unemployment Era. Whatever. I've still found time to watch a few GGG fights this week. (GGG means Gennady Golovkin, not the German porn company, which is another kind of fight. Might have watched a couple of those, too.)
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

One of the highlights of my life is searching for bapo’s self-proclaimed fantastic ass, and then subsequently locating said ass in a late-night Pittsburgh dive bar that I’ll never forgot. Those were the days.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Tyson fought 13 times in 86? And lest you think all quick kos, the guy went ten on may 3 and turned around and went ten more on the 20th. Insane.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bapo! wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:18 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm And this is why you are beloved.
What's that? You want to see which 1986 fights I've watched recently? (Maybe I'm misinterpreting that.) I find this stuff interesting, if for the locations and broadcasters if nothing else. Don't get me wrong. I love that every fight now is in Las Vegas and features a YouTuber, but...

Wilfred Benitez/Matthew Hilton, 2/15/1986, Montreal, CBS
I was a student in Montreal back then - that fight was massive.

The Fighting Hiltons were Montreal legends... and complete dirtballs. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/fighting-hilt ... g-1.276009
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."