The Nostalgiaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The Nostalgiaganza

Post by mister d »

bapo! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:04 pm#4 overall, Pavel Brendl. 11 goals/22 points in 78 career games. Yikes.
And he was the good pick since he atleast went in the Lindros package. Lundmark cost us Savard and gave us nothing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:23 pm
bapo! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Sabo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:10 pm
bapo! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:04 pm George Parros, who is now in charge of player safety
Doesn't this belong in the Irony thread?
Brian Burke used to be in that role. Then Colin Campbell. I guess they thought Brendan Shanahan was too respected, so they went back to their roots.
Don't forget Stephane Quintal. He's another guy who was a fighter as a player who was in in that role for awhile.
I had forgotten that. Is being a tough guy a requirement for that role? Do they understand giving and receiving concussions better than Lady Byng winners?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of Marc Savard, give him the role and unilateral decision making.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Reading/hearing Savard's name still makes me sad.

After Matt Cooke's hit on Savard in 2010, Colin Campbell came on Pittsburgh radio to discuss the decision not to suspend Cooke. I think he was expecting the radio hosts to be homers who agreed with the decision. Instead, they ripped into him. They were all shouting at one point, and Campbell said, 'Look, have you ever played the game?' Like, they would understand blindside hits to the head better if they had.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Campbell has done so much harm to the game. Just a total shitass.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

In a way, Campbell's decision not to suspend Cooke changed the game. Or at least it began to. That seemed to be the moment when a lot of fans realized how badly things were going. So, Campbell is an important figure historically. Unfortunately, so is Marc Savard.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But even though it probably drew a bigger line under the issue, the precedent of "unless you're Rafi Torres, you're back within the week" has still more or less held. I feel like I'll see a hit every 2-3 games that, in a league that cared about safety, would be (booth review!!!) majors at a minimum.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Oh, I know. Miles to go. Still, the game is in better shape in 2021 than it was in 2010, even if only by a matter of degrees.

Have you read Ken Dryden's book about Steve Montador? It's worth reading if you care about this stuff, and I know that you do. Talks about how much the speed of the game has increased over the years, with better skaters, bigger players, better conditioning, shorter shifts, etc., which leads to a more dangerous game. And Montador's story is very, very sad.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I haven't. I read a longform article on Boogaard and I really don't know that I want to know too much more about how not-far the league is from the NFL.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Yeah, John Branch turned that Boogard article into a book. 'Boy on Ice.' Also worth reading.

But I would seriously recommend the Dryden book. Dryden is one of my 10 favorite humans ever, and I love the way that he sees the game. He's troubled by what he sees, and he wants things to change. Why can't somebody like him be in charge, instead of Colin Campbell and his ilk?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Random note while this is bumped because I found it to be MILDLY INTERESTING.

I was watching a 1977 Wilfred Benitez fight on ABC. Between rounds, Howard Cosell threw the broadcast to 'the once-young Frank Gifford' in the studio. A bemused Gifford gave a few quick basketball scores, including from a game between the two top women's college basketball teams -- Delta State and Immaculata. This is apparently real -- those really were the two best teams in women's basketball that year. Also in the top 10: St. Joseph's, Tennessee Tech, Wayland Baptist, Montclair State, Stephen F. Austin. What an odd assortment of universities to be the best at anything.

Further research reveals that Immaculata won three straight championships. Then Delta State won three straight, beating Immaculata twice in the final. West Chester was a runner-up three times in this era. West Chester and Immaculata are located about 5 miles apart from each other in the Philly suburbs.

Wayland Baptist won nine straight NITs. They beat John F. Kennedy College in the final in three of those years. (JFK College operated from 1965-1975 in Wahoo, Nebraska.)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A little closer to the present than what Bapo! has been discussing. A confluence of incidents made me rather nostalgic these last couple days.

So on Wednesday night I'm with my kids having dinner at Qdoba when the GEICO Tag Team ad comes on ("Scoop! There it is!"). They all know the ad and seen me smile when that comes on. I mentioned that the original song came out in the summer of 1993, which was the summer after I graduated high school. I told them that particular summer for everyone becomes a milestone, that three-month period between high school and going away to college, and that there were so many things that summer that have become touchstones in my life, including movies like Jurassic Park and The Fugitive, and most especially that 1993 Phillies team, "Macho Row" (or "Mullet Row"). I even played them on the ride back the original Tag Team "Whomp! There it is!", and the similarly named and performed "Whoot! There it is!" by fellow Miami Bass act 95 South. It blew my son's mind that they were both produced and released within a couple of weeks of one another, supposedly independently arranged.

And then last night, I watched off my DVR a November 1993 SNL, with Nicole Kidman as host with musical guest Stone Temple Pilots. The cold open was Wayne's World where they were discussing recent summer 1993 movies. Then seeing Nicole Kidman, but not the respected actress Nicole Kidman, but rather "married to Tom Cruise, smoking hot, and trying to foster her own way" Nicole Kidman. STP did an acoustic cover of "Creep" (remember, that was the second song named "Creep" that was released in 1993, and the second of three within two or three years to be a hit). Sprockets was recurring sketch, and there was a John Wayne Bobbitt joke. I also remember that was the first season of SNL since I started watching that seemed to be a noticeable dip in quality, especially coming off what I remember to be a strong season from my senior year. The cast pared off a few from the prior year including Dana Carvey, and that's when the Sandberg-Schneider-Sweeney-Farley-Meadows group starting taking the reins from Phil Hartman et al.

Anyway, by the time it was over, I had a wry smile. I'm sure everyone has similar memories of the summer after Senior Year.
Some Advertising man, circa 1960 wrote:Teddy told me that in Greek, “nostalgia” literally means “the pain from an old wound”. It’s a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine.

It goes backwards, forwards, takes us to a place where we ache to go again.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If it helps, NoFX, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and The Melvins all came out with albums today.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:19 pm If it helps, NoFX, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and The Melvins all came out with albums today.
Neil Young's been releasing a lot of stuff (and a lot of it is pretty poor).

But this live album is peak Neil! Man, it rocks!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Huge question - did Scott Weiland take “then she tells me I’m a creep” up an octave or was it the shitty regular version?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm I mentioned that the original song came out in the summer of 1993, which was the summer after I graduated high school.
That would be summer of 1992 for me. Yes, some great memories, but I don't like to dwell on them. It's counterproductive for me to think about happy times when I'm most assuredly not living in one right now.

So instead, I'll just talk about Tag Team! Thank you for the 95 South/Whoot knowledge. I had always been confused about that, but never bothered to look it up. (And 95 South came first, yet history and Geico have sided with Tag Team.) Is this more or less likely than Sinead O'Connor and Hozier releasing songs titled 'Take Me to Church' at the same time?

My favorite example of this kind of thing is the two Lambada movies released in 1990. I'm a big fan of the schlock production house Golan-Globus. A lot of breakdancing movies and Charles Bronson movies and movies that have probably turned up on Swamp Quarantine Nights. But then occasionally a John Cassavetes film or something like Jean-Luc Godard's adaptation of King Lear, starring Burgess Meredith, Peter Sellers, Julie Delpy, Molly Ringwold, Woody Allen, and Norman Mailer.

Anyway, the two cousins who ran Golan-Globus had a falling out. But the movie audience benefited because on 3/16/1990 Globus' Cannon Group released 'Lambada,' and Golan's 21st Century Film Corporation released 'The Forbidden Dance.' This led to the dissolution of the Soviet Union a year later.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Had to look up their film portfolio. Lots of good stuff in there. Just watched Lifeforce yesterday, coincidentally.

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

bapo! wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:12 pm But the movie audience benefited because on 3/16/1990 Globus' Cannon Group released 'Lambada,' and Golan's 21st Century Film Corporation released 'The Forbidden Dance.'
Wait, those were two different movies? I never saw either one, but remember seeing it (I guess them) promoted.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:15 pm Wait, those were two different movies?
Some subjects are too complicated to cover in just 90 minutes. And thanks for the Golan obit, Pruitt.

When I worked as a closed-captioner, I captioned a bunch of these movies. Whenever I saw the Cannon Films card, I knew that I was in for a good time. If that was followed by 'A Golan-Globus Production,' I would let out a 'Fuck yes!'

I just watched 'Electric Boogaloo,' the 2014 documentary about these guys. (Very NSFW due to a lot of nudity and violence.) It's a heartwarming tale of two Israeli guys who came to Hollywood with a dream: to make dozens of shitty low-budget exploitation movies. A bunch of actors and directors and writers from the '80s are interviewed. 'The Apple,' an ill-fated 1980 musical, looks especially terrible and hilarious. (It's featured in the doc about 11 minutes in.)

It's amazing that a company that could produce 'Cheerleaders Beach Party' and five 'American Ninja' movies could also work with Godard, Coppola, Cassavetes, Altman, Frankenheimer, and Zeffirelli. I'm a Godard fan, but I've only seen the good Godard films. I've never seen his 'King Lear.' It's featured in the doc. The 2014 version of Molly Ringwald is as charming as ever.

Here's a list of Cannon movies. (Golan and Globus show up in 1979.) And here are the Golan-Globus movies which were released by Cannon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hold up, are we saying Breakin' 2 is a B movie?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm Hold up, are we saying Breakin' 2 is a B movie?
The two main guys in those movies are interviewed in the documentary. They thought that the first movie was a true representation of their art. But they loathed the sequel, thinking it to be a cheap cash-in. Also, the lead actress was cast as a dancer trying to learn breakdancing who was looked down upon by the real breakdancers. Unfortunately, that carried over to the set, where she was bullied by the actors.

It was explained that this was a rush-job, because another studio was also making a breakdancing movie, and Golan-Globus wanted to be first. 'Breakin'' was released on 5/4/1984.'' 'Beat Street,' starring Swamp favorite Rae Dawn Chong, was released on 6/8/1984.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:31 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm Hold up, are we saying Breakin' 2 is a B movie?
The two main guys in those movies are interviewed in the documentary. They thought that the first movie was a true representation of their art. But they loathed the sequel, thinking it to be a cheap cash-in. Also, the lead actress was cast as a dancer trying to learn breakdancing who was looked down upon by the real breakdancers. Unfortunately, that carried over to the set, where she was bullied by the actors.

It was explained that this was a rush-job, because another studio was also making a breakdancing movie, and Golan-Globus wanted to be first. 'Breakin'' was released on 5/4/1984.'' 'Beat Street,' starring Swamp favorite Rae Dawn Chong, was released on 6/8/1984.
RIP Ozone
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:31 pmSwamp favorite Rae Dawn Chong
Really should be the start of her obituary at the end of what will hopefully be a remarkably long and continually fruitful life.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:45 pm
Really should be the start of her obituary at the end of what will hopefully be a remarkably long and continually fruitful life.
When I moved to NH the guy who hauled my car told me he had recently done the same for her.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I kind of got a crush on RDC after seeing her in an old 1980s bicycle-racing movie that was partially filmed in and around my Colorado hometown, and featured a young Kevin Costner. American Flyers.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Smart. When you're new in town and a stranger wants to talk to you about how he used to "haul chong" you entertain him at least until he gets your car off the back of his truck.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:40 pm Smart. When you're new in town and a stranger wants to talk to you about how he used to "haul chong" you entertain him at least until he gets your car off the back of his truck.
Could be a cross-post in another thread, but I didn't tip the guy and it still bugs me thinking I maybe should have.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:23 pm I kind of got a crush on RDC after seeing her in an old 1980s bicycle-racing movie that was partially filmed in and around my Colorado hometown, and featured a young Kevin Costner. American Flyers.
Now I'm wondering if RAD is a Golan-Globus production.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:18 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:23 pm I kind of got a crush on RDC after seeing her in an old 1980s bicycle-racing movie that was partially filmed in and around my Colorado hometown, and featured a young Kevin Costner. American Flyers.
Now I'm wondering if RAD is a Golan-Globus production.
TaliaFilm II Productions, who also produced "Never Say Never Again".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I had never heard of her until we watched 'Soul Man' a couple of weeks ago. There's a reason beautiful people are Hollywood stars. If you're going to suffer thru a terrible movie like 'Soul Man,' it's easier if you at least have a pleasant face to look at.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm
I had never heard of her until we watched 'Soul Man' a couple of weeks ago. There's a reason beautiful people are Hollywood stars. If you're going to suffer thru a terrible movie like 'Soul Man,' it's easier if you at least have a pleasant face to look at.
How did not know who she was with all your nostalgiaganza-ing?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:48 pm How did not know who she was with all your nostalgiaganza-ing?
I don't watch a lot of movies these days. And I've never been an '80s movie guy. I would have a better chance of knowing her if she were a backup defensive back for the Detroit Lions in 1983.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm I had never heard of her until we watched 'Soul Man' a couple of weeks ago. There's a reason beautiful people are Hollywood stars. If you're going to suffer thru a terrible movie like 'Soul Man,' it's easier if you at least have a pleasant face to look at.
Fun fact: I don’t know if this was noted when you guys watched the movie, but she was married for awhile to her Soul Man co-star C. Thomas Howell.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:22 pm Fun fact: I don’t know if this was noted when you guys watched the movie, but she was married for awhile to her Soul Man co-star C. Thomas Howell.
Oh, it was noted. The news was met with some confusion and consternation.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

As was the entire movie.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I sat thru 'The Apple' (1980), written and directed by Menahem Golan, filmed in Berlin for $5M, available on Pluto TV. That documentary made it look hilariously bad. And it is at times, but it's mostly just bad. The kind of bad that depresses me. Like, 'Aw, look at all of these earnest people trying so hard.'

The protagonists are from Moose Jaw, but the male lead has a very strong Scottish accent. This is his only movie credit.

The villain, played by Vladek Sheybal, is named MR. BOOGALOW. Sheybal's real-life bio is intense. Born in Poland, fought in the resistance. Was captured and sent to a concentration camp, but managed to escape. Twice. Appeared in 90 movies/tv shows (including 'Red Dawn') up until his death in 1992.

The plot, from what I was able to discern, had something to do with the government controlling the population thru music, the female lead being used by the government and becoming a star, and the male lead writing sappy unmarketable love songs. And then the last reel turned supernatural, with the worst special effects I've ever seen. Five million for that.

The costumes are great. Everything is all very sci-fi because this is set in the distant future of, um, 1994. A lot of those shiny silver jackets, like the Atari jacket I wore when I was a kid.

I was excited to read that George Clinton co-wrote the songs. But it's the other George Clinton. And I don't know much about musical theater, so I'm not the best judge of this stuff. I almost like this song, but this one, to my untrained ear, is unspeakably bad. It made me hate Eisenstein, Keaton, Welles, Hitchcock, and everybody who ever contributed to film and led us to this moment.

I can't recommend this for a bad-movie viewing. It's bad, but not entertaining often enough to make it worthwhile.

Up next, Godard's 'King Lear.' I'm nervous.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I studied Godard at University and we watched a couple of films that I really liked. Old Godard.

Haven't seen his "King Lear" but brace yourself... it could epically suck.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm I studied Godard at University and we watched a couple of films that I really liked. Old Godard.

Haven't seen his "King Lear" but brace yourself... it could epically suck.
It's been years since I've watched them, but I loved the loose haphazard feel of his '60s movies. 'I had an idea this morning, so I'm going to put it on film and maybe it will work.' I watched them around the time that I was getting into postmodern fiction, so this kind of thing made sense in my brain then.

That said, I'm not too enthused to watch a movie with Norman Mailer having an incestuous relationship with his real-life daughter.

Maybe I'll watch 'Breathless' and 'Week-end' and all of the Anna Karina movies later, as a palate cleanser.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Haven't seen it in years, but I loved "Alphaville" when I saw it.

(Stoned at university)