Star Wars Thread...The Spoiler Edition

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Star Wars Thread...The Spoiler Edition

Post by rass »

No no, see they called him Porkins because he liked to stick it up the old exhaust port...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hey you know what. If you guys are happy about it then I’m happy for you.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Brown Eyes.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

[+] spoiler
tps report reference was not so subtle
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 amLoved it.
Phew. Still sadly puzzled but not really by the extreme hate for tLJ from some. Hope Rian Johnson lands on his feet.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Phew. Still sadly puzzled but not really by the extreme hate for tLJ from some. Hope Rian Johnson lands on his feet.
What the hell are you talking about.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:00 pm
3 year anniversary of the release of The Last Jedi and I couldn't remember what my first impression was. Some people absolutely hated that movie and it's partially their fault that the Rise of Skywalker sucked.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:22 am
A_B wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:00 pm
3 year anniversary of the release of The Last Jedi and I couldn't remember what my first impression was. Some people absolutely hated that movie and it's partially their fault that the Rise of Skywalker sucked.
It's almost wholly their fault.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I like them both. But I definitely like TLJ better. I never understood the criticism.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well holy shit
[+] spoiler
I wish they had let on who that was earlier and just let the SW theme blast through the whole scene where the dark troopers got taken out. Actual music was weirdly lame on a show where it’s usually pretty good.
And make sure you watch/FF through the credits.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:05 pm Well holy shit
[+] spoiler
I wish they had let on who that was earlier and just let the SW theme blast through the whole scene where the dark troopers got taken out. Actual music was weirdly lame on a show where it’s usually pretty good.
[+] spoiler
I thought it was a let down, to be honest. Everything about this show was done so well up until that point. It just seemed like they could’ve opened up the universe a bit and introduced a different sect of Jedi who only Yoda knew about because his species needs to be under their care.

I dunno - Luke just made it unnecessarily wrapped up too nicely.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
I cannot handle this. I am a literal mess.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:06 pm
[+] spoiler
I cannot handle this. I am a literal mess.
[+] spoiler
I’m angry for letting myself get caught up in it.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:36 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I thought it was a let down, to be honest. Everything about this show was done so well up until that point. It just seemed like they could’ve opened up the universe a bit and introduced a different sect of Jedi who only Yoda knew about because his species needs to be under their care.

[+] spoiler
The more I think on it the more I think it worked. I hate when they make the story too small and contained, but this isn’t the same thing as making Rey to be from known Force royalty. There was almost no other Jedi available other than Luke. If some unknown group shows up then we have to figure out where they were during the rebellion (or before that) and where they were in the sequels. Luke taking the kid creates no new questions, and I think that’s ok. And leaves Mando’s story wide open going forward. And it was cool as shit.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sniff
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:35 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:36 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
The more I think on it the more I think it worked. I hate when they make the story too small and contained, but this isn’t the same thing as making Rey to be from known Force royalty. There was almost no other Jedi available other than Luke. If some unknown group shows up then we have to figure out where they were during the rebellion (or before that) and where they were in the sequels. Luke taking the kid creates no new questions, and I think that’s ok. And leaves Mando’s story wide open going forward. And it was cool as shit.
[+] spoiler
Disagree. If they're intent on expanding the universe, the way to do it would've been to clue us into that new sect back in S1 when Mando meets up with his fellow Mandalorians. Maybe initially with the blacksmith. Something about how the feud with the Jedi was made worse once they freed itself from that one sect that never saw eye to eye with them. They could've alluded to the fact that sect was chaotic-neutral. Not evil, but surely not benevolent, either.

I feel betrayed.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

All I got is Rock 'em Sock 'em robots.

And it was tied in as it should have been.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

duff wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:09 pm All I got is Rock 'em Sock 'em robots.

And it was tied in as it should have been.
If you don't invest much, then sure.
[+] spoiler
And who the hell develops a universe-class rock'em, sock'em robot and makes them recharge in a freakin airlock?

Seems pretty stupid, even for a show that

brings Luke back via CGI.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’ve read a couple of reviewers I like who agree with ER that this was too small and/or not earned so I’m not gonna argue it anymore. I thought this season was a lot of fun, even if I thought there were more egregious coincidences or logistically unexplained appearances of OG characters than what we saw in the season finale.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Vox: The writing’s on the wall.
[+] spoiler
Even if The Mandalorian ultimately makes it work, prioritizing moments over the big picture also diminishes some of what made the show so arresting in the first place. Where once it seemed to take place in a backwater, under-explored corner of the Star Wars universe, by the end of season two, the show has featured some of the franchise’s most familiar characters, right up to Luke Skywalker himself. It only enhances the sense that the entire Star Wars franchise has become a closed ecosystem, with little room for new growth.

It’s becoming a lot harder to watch The Mandalorian as its own thing instead of a central hub for much of the Star Wars television universe, especially since Disney has already revealed plans for spinoff series for several fan-favorite heroes, like Boba Fett and Ahsoka Tano. If the second half of season two felt like a collection of backdoor pilots — an episode of a show that introduces new characters in the hope of spinning them off into their own show — that’s because it basically was. Indeed, upcoming spinoff The Book of Boba Fett will take The Mandalorian’s place in the Disney+ schedule in December 2021, though Mandalorian season three will likely follow sometime in 2022; the season two finale even ended up with a teaser for the Boba Fett show likely designed to get fans chattering.

There are plenty of good reasons to keep watching this show. Pedro Pascal has managed to use only his voice to make the Mandalorian a compelling protagonist, Baby Yoda is still the cutest, Ludwig Göransson’s score is among TV’s best, and the atmosphere remains impeccable. If you just want to hang out in Star Wars land for a few weeks every year, this show is really, really good at giving you that experience.

But its increasing reliance on cameos from all your favs is a reminder that the gigantic, franchise-based cinematic universes that have come to define too much of big-budget filmmaking are increasingly taking over TV as well. We haven’t even gotten to Disney+’s Marvel TV series yet, which will begin debuting in 2021 and will surely feature many, many cameos of their own. The Mandalorian — like most shows — is at its best when it charts its own course. Unfortunately, it’s so much harder to take the backroads when you could just get on familiar highways and go all of the places you’ve already been.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So I'm sure everyone saw the news that Gina Carano was booted from the Mandalorian for some very problematic social media posts.

But, no fear, she's moving on to better projects!

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ben Shapiro was a failed screenwriter before he got into the right-wing anger grift, so this promises to be a real treat.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Watched Haywire a couple of weeks ago, and it used her well and was fine. But Soderbergh, so...

I don't think she was all that great on The Mandolorian, which was also fine because she wasn't around for every episode. There had been rumors of building out a spinoff with her character, and I don't know if that would have worked.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:38 pm Ben Shapiro was a failed screenwriter before he got into the right-wing anger grift, so this promises to be a real treat.
Wow...I somehow missed the part of being a failed screenwriter...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Filed under...no duh:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bad Batch is not that good...but I am going to watch it.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:24 pm Bad Batch is not that good...but I am going to watch it.
Yeah, having a hard time caring. Will finish it, but most likely won't get much better.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This is pretty hilarious:

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is this where we discuss the Mandalorian? Finally finished S2, and while I enjoyed it, I thought the finale was shite. Totally lazy writing. To wit:
[+] spoiler
- they use the same old method to get onto the imperial ship that's been used several(?) times up to this point (pretending to be imperial themselves. the empire only lost an entire death star to this ruse, surely they'll never see this coming!)

- pointless waves of stormtroopers in corridors, who fall to their deaths after being shot in the shoulder, usually (really, what does that armor do? they go down if they get punched).

- painfully shoehorned-in exposition by Moff Gideon to reveal the legacy of the dark saber. at gunpoint no less! brilliant way to introduce a complete new storyline

- yes the star wars franchise is the king of deus ex machina, so Luke showing up suddenly isn't really a surprise. But really?