Star Wars Thread...The Spoiler Edition

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Star Wars Thread...The Spoiler Edition

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Also, I think I'm going to waive the normal waiting period and induct Felicity Jones into the Rosanna Arquette Memorial Hall of Fame for Hot Women with Overbites.
Threadjack. You mean the one with all that shit in her face?
NO. THIS one!

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There is a new Han Solo.

I didn't see the Coen bros' latest, so I've never seen the guy act.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:There is a new Han Solo.

I didn't see the Coen bros' latest, so I've never seen the guy act.
The movie was truly terrible. Hugely disappointing, but that actor was probably the best thing in it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:Wow:
http://swanh.net/

h/t
Incredible
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Shirley wrote:
rass wrote:Wow:
http://swanh.net/

h/t
Incredible
Seconded.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Hadn't seen this movie until last night. Made it through the first hour and turned it off. I may go back and try again, but nothing in that first hour caused me to care about what was to come.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yup. Still all in.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Trying not to get too excited but I'm not sure I've ever been more excited for a film.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

OK, I haven't been quite on board with the young Han Solo movie (despite the fact that The Lego Movie guys are in charge) but the Lando casting is too fucking perfect.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why did I think the announced that a few months ago?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote:OK, I haven't been quite on board with the young Han Solo movie (despite the fact that The Lego Movie guys are in charge) but the Lando casting is too fucking perfect.
Agree about Lando. Glover is great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

govmentchedda wrote:
rass wrote:OK, I haven't been quite on board with the young Han Solo movie (despite the fact that The Lego Movie guys are in charge) but the Lando casting is too fucking perfect.
Agree about Lando. Glover is great.
Pretty sure Murtaugh was supposed to retire.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Bump, new Rogue One trailer with some candy for Star Wars zealots:

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/let-the-rog ... -important

Article I have linked has what that is. I don't care about clone mythology/force relics etc., but if you do, read on.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bought my tickets for Rogue 1 this morning. Taking my son and his buddy opening night (well Friday...not doing a midnight Thursday thing).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Serious question for Star Wars fans. Do you feel like these prequels and non-trilogy movies (like the "young Han Solo") are meant to entertain you or exploit you?

Obviously there's a lot of interest and demand, but I think I'd feel like on some level I was being played. I guess I suppose a lot depends on the quality.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I would say it is a bit of both. Of course they want to exploit the fans b/c we will see the movies no matter what. Sometimes 2 or 3 times if not more. But at the same time, if they end up being mediocre to poor, then all the fans will let them know. And they will not be able to get new fans to the enterprise.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:Serious question for Star Wars fans. Do you feel like these prequels and non-trilogy movies (like the "young Han Solo") are meant to entertain you or exploit you?

Obviously there's a lot of interest and demand, but I think I'd feel like on some level I was being played. I guess I suppose a lot depends on the quality.
I'd also say a bit of both. I could care less about the characters in all honesty, I just love the lore of the universe.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just like the Marvel Universe, Disney is just trying to yank as much value out of the purchase as possible. However, I think Disney cares about story telling and characters more than most. At least as it comes to theater releases. I mean people treat Starwars like some iconic thing but they did do money grabs back in the day too. See Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure and Star Wars Christmas Special.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

If they want to exploit me by giving me a fun space adventure to experience for two hours with my kids and wife, I'm all for it.

I just don't want to have all the good guys die in the end - and I don't see any way for a story set before the original Star Wars to end any other way.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Via Microsoft, my family and I are able to go see Rogue One on Dec 15, the day before it opens for the rest of you peons.

But, of course, my son's middle school basketball team now has a game that night. :-(
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: I just don't want to have all the good guys die in the end - and I don't see any way for a story set before the original Star Wars to end any other way.
I think it's possible to do that. I mean, they'll have to die at some point obviously, but doesn't mean it has to be included in the movie in a tragic way.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They could like die of old age or while rescuing a cat from a tree or something like that.

(Would be so awesome to have a prequel and just have a character die the most banal death possible. Like I don't know if Luke and Leia's mom dies in the prequels because I don't really give a shit, but it would be funny if she just died in a (space) car accident or cleaning her (space) gutters or of (space) cancer or something like that.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:They could like die of old age or while rescuing a cat from a tree or something like that.

(Would be so awesome to have a prequel and just have a character die the most banal death possible. Like I don't know if Luke and Leia's mom dies in the prequels because I don't really give a shit, but it would be funny if she just died in a (space) car accident or cleaning her (space) gutters or of (space) cancer or something like that.)

It's....somewhat more dramatic than your scenario.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, in real life of course. I'm not making light of that. Just saying it's not like a superhero death in the movies or anything.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:Via Microsoft, my family and I are able to go see Rogue One on Dec 15, the day before it opens for the rest of you peons.

But, of course, my son's middle school basketball team now has a game that night. :-(
Back when Episode 1 opened I was working for MSFT. We showed up to work and there were buses lined up at our building. Next thing I know they are taking the whole company to the movies for a mid-morning surprise treat. Free Popcorn but no sodas. Then back to the office and work.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not as fortunate as Dave, will settle for seeing it on Friday Dec. 16th.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy fucking shit YES!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The more I think about it, the more it holds up. I think my one plot related quibble was worth it.

How about this: it makes ANH better. Yeah.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So I thought this one was...just OK? The second half was definitely much better than the first, at least. I'd go as far to say the first half was flat-out not good. Poorly paced and oddly undramatic. Characters were paper-thin and I didn't feel invested in them anywhere near as much as the other movies, even the prequels. And Forrest Whitaker's character was just ridiculous...every time he took a hit off that oxygen mask, I couldn't help thinking of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.

It was neat how they re-created Peter Cushing, but his inclusion (along with Vader's) made the new villain seem impotent and unthreatening by comparison.

I might be sounding more harsh than I mean to...I still thought it was decent, and worth a watch if you're really into the franchise, but if you're on the fence it might bore you. I was holding out hope that it might have a dark-horse chance of being better than TFA, but that didn't turn out to be the case. TFA was definitely uneven, but it was still a better movie overall and its high points were far above this one's.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I forgot we had a Star Wars spoiler thread.

I thought the movie was good. It's hard to rate it on its own, since it was so tied in with the storyline of the original Star Wars.

My one real beef was the very end, where Princess Leia's ship escapes the disintegrating rebel ship as Vader's ship chases it. In Star Wars, they very clearly and boldly claim that the ship was simply on a diplomatic mission. It would be damn hard to make that claim (and not have Vader laugh out loud) now that we know it was literally chased out of a rebellion battle. It seems like they could have had it sneak off or something to help keep that storyline sensible.

That said, I loved how this movie added so much more weight to the Star Wars. The whole story of how they were able to defeat the Death Star seems much bigger now.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

In the theater now. Pretty pumped.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just back home from seeing it. I thought it was a very good movie. Not often that all of the heroes die, but it had to be that way for the movie to fit into the narrative of the next films.

What really threw me was no scroll before the start of the movie, and none of the iconic John Williams score.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:My one real beef was the very end, where Princess Leia's ship escapes the disintegrating rebel ship as Vader's ship chases it. In Star Wars, they very clearly and boldly claim that the ship was simply on a diplomatic mission. It would be damn hard to make that claim (and not have Vader laugh out loud) now that we know it was literally chased out of a rebellion battle. It seems like they could have had it sneak off or something to help keep that storyline sensible.
That was my one plot quibble I mentioned above, but I thought that moment was so cool (not-quite-realness of the Leia and GMT effects aside) and I loved that the ending almost lead directly to the beginning of Ep 4 that I was willing to forgive it.

duff wrote:What really threw me was no scroll before the start of the movie, and none of the iconic John Williams score.
No scroll seems like a straightforward way to differentiate these standalone films from the main saga. I like Giacchino (who stepped in late in the process) and taking on the job of being the first person who isn't Williams to score a SW film is rough. While it isn't too memorable three days later, I thought the score was appropriately Star War-sy without flat out aping Williams.

Johnny Carwash wrote:It was neat how they re-created Peter Cushing, but his inclusion (along with Vader's) made the new villain seem impotent and unthreatening by comparison.
I think I disagree on this point. Not that GMT and Vader aren't more iconic villains, but I liked the dynamic between them all. And I liked how Krennic and Jyn/Cassian all died the same way and pretty much at the same time, but the former died knowing he had lost everything and would be forgotten while the other two knew that had at least done their job and given the rebels a chance.

I guess I really liked the ending.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Of the eight films in the movie canon, this was probably my second favorite behind Empire. Maybe A New Hope sneaks in, but it's 2a and 2b at worst.

I really really enjoyed this movie. The "diplomatic" mission is of COURSE what you'd say if Darth Vader boarded your ship. Would there have been any way for the empire to know that was the same ship for certain? Did they get the galactic version of a plate number?

The ending was great and likely necessary.

And is Ben Mendolsohn the king of being reminded he isn't really in charge?

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I am with AB. Rouge One ranks right behind Empire.

And I get why there was no scroll, it just felt odd. Considering this wasn't really a one-off. They just couldn't name it Episode 3.5.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I really liked how this movie played out. I'm having a hard time articulating it, but something about -- the lack of pressure/expectations? -- made this a really enjoyable experience.

And I loved how tight this was to the New Hope plot. That shit with Leia was dope.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was taught in the 4 day SERE class I had way back when to always go the "diplomatic" route. Funny how that translates here. (At least to me.)

My one quibble: at the very beginning of the flick the Bad Guy Spaceship lands like 4 miles away from the guy that once played a Bond villain's house. And then 7 people get off and walk the whole distance. I was like "Why?"
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It looked cool?

(I honestly had the same thought, but forgot about it until you mentioned it)