Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:58 pm

brian wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am
Dave Chapelle is now a hero to the right.

No he isn't. He's an avatar to be used in memes to trigger people like you.

That entire group of morons are fueled by Liberal Tears. Don't you see that?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm

This is awesome:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16460
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:17 pm

If the Nazis are for it I’m against it. There are worse philosophies to live by.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5084
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm
This is awesome:

Damn, Hasan. That was fantastic.
Totally Kafkaesque

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:58 am

Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm
This is awesome:

Damn, Hasan. That was fantastic.
It was awesome to listen to, and then awesome to see the shitstorm posting it on fb caused. Love this video
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Looks like he had some other great moments too: (skip the first 5 minutes or so)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Bill Burr's stand up was great.

"If women were in charge there would be no war. ... And evidently no due process either." That was the punchline to his #MeToo bit. And his male feminist stuff was hilarious too.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 am

Johnnie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:17 pm
Bill Burr's stand up was great.

"If women were in charge there would be no war. ... And evidently no due process either." That was the punchline to his #MeToo bit. And his male feminist stuff was hilarious too.
I thought he had some moments that were really well done and some flat ones. It was a good special but didn't hit as hard for me as some others. I just thought a couple of the jokes were lazy...like the "drive by a womens rights rally and yelled the most fucked up thing you can" joke is weak and done to death and if he was going to do it he could have made a funnier tag than "in the kitchen".

The michelle Obama book joke destroyed me though. Not shitting on burr or the special, I like his shit a lot but I think he's had better specials.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 6396
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Ryan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:07 am

Johnnie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 pm
Looks like he had some other great moments too: (skip the first 5 minutes or so)

Hahahaha Sean Duffy sucks

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pm

New SNL cast member, Shane Gillis hides his racist-ass behind his joke-telling. Vox explains.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm

At first I was like "Hmm, maybe something was misinterpreted or miscommunicated."

But no. Typical dime a dozen low information white shitbag spouting nonsense. I've met so many dudes like that because they join the military and buy lifted pick up trucks with their enlistment bonuses.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm
At first I was like "Hmm, maybe something was misinterpreted or miscommunicated."

But no. Typical dime a dozen low information white shitbag spouting nonsense. I've met so many dudes like that because they join the military and buy lifted pick up trucks with their enlistment bonuses.
Yeah, his non-apology was full of shit, too. You're not pushing boundaries with your racist-ass, bro. You're just a racist ass.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16116
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:56 pm

So SNL is going to say they never heard the podcast, right?
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:56 pm
So SNL is going to say they never heard the podcast, right?
Yeah, I'm not sure what their angle is here. There's zero chance they were not aware of that podcast. I mean, it's his work.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 am

I wrote a really fucking good R Kelly joke and tried it for the first time and it fucking killed. Small victories. Video on my facebook if anybody wants to see it. It was only a 6 minute guest spot but man that was a fucking fun one
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5084
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm

I just reread this piece by Patton Oswalt about comedy, heckler, joke-stealing, and rape jokes. He makes a lot of great points and ties it all together nicely. TT, you might find it helpful (or not!) as you get your career going.

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=167
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 14077
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Watched Julio Torres' "My Favorite Shapes."

Some good stuff, very cutesy set up, but it worked.
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DaveInSeattle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:56 pm
So SNL is going to say they never heard the podcast, right?
Yeah, I'm not sure what their angle is here. There's zero chance they were not aware of that podcast. I mean, it's his work.
And he's out...


User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:32 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:56 pm
So SNL is going to say they never heard the podcast, right?
Yeah, I'm not sure what their angle is here. There's zero chance they were not aware of that podcast. I mean, it's his work.
And he's out...

They admitted they hadn’t done their homework re: his podcast archives.

Dude talks about how he “got SNL” and how “that can’t be taken away” in his entirely non-apology.

Um, bro? You never had SNL, and even if you did? Yeah, it was in fact, ripped away from you.


User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 pm

There was no comedy in the podcast! It was two racist white dude good ol' boys making racist comments against Asian people and their culture.

But no. The white guys are victims here because his new employer noped out and saved face.

Ugh. Jesus.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:52 am

Johnnie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 pm
There was no comedy in the podcast! It was two racist white dude good ol' boys making racist comments against Asian people and their culture.

But no. The white guys are victims here because his new employer noped out and saved face.

Ugh. Jesus.
I feel like you gotta be willing to pay for what you say. Shouldn't bitch about companies thinking your joke sucked...write better jokes if you were joking if you don't like it.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am

Shirley wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm
I just reread this piece by Patton Oswalt about comedy, heckler, joke-stealing, and rape jokes. He makes a lot of great points and ties it all together nicely. TT, you might find it helpful (or not!) as you get your career going.

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=167
I meant to come back and say thank you. I felt most every word of it and have been rereading it for like 2 days. I agree with so much of what he said
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 14077
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:02 am

This guy should never have been invited to New York for the audition. It's not a Mom and Pop operation - there's got to be dozens of people in the Production and Legal Departments who should have caught this.
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5084
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 am

TT2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am
Shirley wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm
I just reread this piece by Patton Oswalt about comedy, heckler, joke-stealing, and rape jokes. He makes a lot of great points and ties it all together nicely. TT, you might find it helpful (or not!) as you get your career going.

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=167
I meant to come back and say thank you. I felt most every word of it and have been rereading it for like 2 days. I agree with so much of what he said
That's great to hear. I love how seriously you're taking this new career possibility.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 am

TT2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:52 am
Johnnie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 pm
There was no comedy in the podcast! It was two racist white dude good ol' boys making racist comments against Asian people and their culture.

But no. The white guys are victims here because his new employer noped out and saved face.

Ugh. Jesus.
I feel like you gotta be willing to pay for what you say. Shouldn't bitch about companies thinking your joke sucked...write better jokes if you were joking if you don't like it.
There was no joke or act that needed fine tuning. Dude’s just a bigoted-racist piece of shit, and being a “comedian” doesn’t absolve him from that fact.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 14077
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 am

Wouldn;t be surprised if Fox News or some even worse news outlet is talking to his agent about becoming a commentator.
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16460
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am

The right always likes to complain about censorship, but I thought this was a free-market capitalist country, so isn't that just an opportunity?

The solution -- Fox News should produce their own "right-wing" comedy show to compete with Saturday Night Live. Mike Huckabee could be an executive producer.

I admit I would watch it just to see what kind of a trainwreck it would be.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 am

brian wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am
The right always likes to complain about censorship, but I thought this was a free-market capitalist country, so isn't that just an opportunity?

The solution -- Fox News should produce their own "right-wing" comedy show to compete with Saturday Night Live. Mike Huckabee could be an executive producer.

I admit I would watch it just to see what kind of a trainwreck it would be.
I feel like you have the right to say whatever you want on whatever platform you feel like, but I also feel like nobody is obligated to give you a platform. its not censorship for SNL to say he's not a good enough comic to be worth the amount of shit they would take for keeping him. He should write better jokes
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16460
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:50 am

Agree 100 percent. But I think the right is telling on themselves when they complain about "censorship".

If there's really this huge underserved market out there for people who want to hear racist jokes and if it's really not as big of a deal as they claim, then someone should put their money where their mouth is and start their own show. Doesn't obviously have to be on Fox News -- there are hundreds of channels and dozens of online platforms, at least some of which are run by right-wing reactionaries.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 14077
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 pm

brian wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am
The right always likes to complain about censorship, but I thought this was a free-market capitalist country, so isn't that just an opportunity?
Exactly.

A private company should have the right to decide what and who they put on air (within the parameters of what is legal of course).

I just can't get over the fact that this guy made it to the audition. I know a couple of performers who made it that far, and it's not like you just walk in off the street and head to Lorne Michaels' office.
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16116
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Adam Corolla really nailed the uncle character on the Baldwin roast. I could have written half of it for him as “here’s what I bet he’d say”.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 pm

was actually a guest on a podcast and was hoping to get opinions on how I came off as a guest, and how i was in general. taking any advice, this is my first attempt.

Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16460
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:25 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.
So I didn't get a chance to watch this, but before any of you do I would VERY strongly recommend watching this documentary about him on Hulu.

It's one of the most interesting and crazy documentaries I've ever seen and I watch a LOT of documentaries.

I really don't want to give anything way but the NY Times review I've linked does a good job of not giving away any of the three or four huge twists throughout the doc (yes, the documentarian agreeing to do meth with the subject of the documentary is actually NOT one of the huge twists).

It sucks a little bit that I've actually met Johnathan a few times (it's a long story) and definitely knew of his career trajectory when he announced his illness, so I feel like as amazing as it was for me, it would be even more so for someone who was a fresh mark.

Strongly, strongly, strongly recommended.

ETA: Not dismissing the doc wlu_lax linked, especially since I didn't see it, but there's a reason I would suggest you not watch that one first that will be made abundantly clear after you watch the one I recommended.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:21 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:25 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.
So I didn't get a chance to watch this, but before any of you do I would VERY strongly recommend watching this documentary about him on Hulu.

It's one of the most interesting and crazy documentaries I've ever seen and I watch a LOT of documentaries.

I really don't want to give anything way but the NY Times review I've linked does a good job of not giving away any of the three or four huge twists throughout the doc (yes, the documentarian agreeing to do meth with the subject of the documentary is actually NOT one of the huge twists).

It sucks a little bit that I've actually met Johnathan a few times (it's a long story) and definitely knew of his career trajectory when he announced his illness, so I feel like as amazing as it was for me, it would be even more so for someone who was a fresh mark.

Strongly, strongly, strongly recommended.

ETA: Not dismissing the doc wlu_lax linked, especially since I didn't see it, but there's a reason I would suggest you not watch that one first that will be made abundantly clear after you watch the one I recommended.


Anybody want to loan me a Hulu login so i can? I try to watch anything comedy related i can catch
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13456
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by A_B » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I will not do such a thing.

(I don’t have Hulu)
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 pm

Desus & Mero are back. This is hysterical.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 14077
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 am

Johnnie wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 pm
Desus & Mero are back. This is hysterical.

That was really funny.

Also, WTF?!
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 11755
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by rass » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 am

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

Post Reply