Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian »

Recently watched Anthony Jeselnik's special "Thoughts and Prayers." If you have a high tolerance for the offensive and tasteless, this is as good as it gets.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:Recently watched Anthony Jeselnik's special "Thoughts and Prayers." If you have a high tolerance for the offensive and tasteless, this is as good as it gets.
He was funny on a couple of the roasts I've seen him in. I take it that he cultivates a persona of being a bit of an anti-social misanthrope?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I wouldn't say that so much as he just wants to offend you. Less Drew Hastings, more Subtle Andrew Dice Clay.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He references this bit in that special. Plus the bit specifically about "thoughts and prayers" was gold too.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote:Guess whose first words on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee are "Good Christ, goddamn, holy crow, what the fuck this is a car?"
That was funny, but I had to stop about halfway through, because I was tired of all of the virus/spam/fake alerts that site was throwing up.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote:
Ryan wrote:Guess whose first words on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee are "Good Christ, goddamn, holy crow, what the fuck this is a car?"
That was funny, but I had to stop about halfway through, because I was tired of all of the virus/spam/fake alerts that site was throwing up.
If you can handle someone altering the voices, the full episode is on YouTube.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:
Shirley wrote:
If you can handle someone altering the voices, the full episode is on YouTube.
Yeah, I saw that and decided I couldn't handle it. I guess the real one isn't posted on the official site yet.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I watched the Youtube version. It was fine once I got used to it. Great episode.
LewP
Jackie Treehorn

Post by LewP »

Want to see what Cowboy fans go through during the season? Have a look.

"Never pay for the same real estate twice." General George S. Patton
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Louis CK 2017 was awesome.

And Neal Brennan 3 Mics needs to win an award of some sort because that was incredible.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Watched the Louis CK 2017 on Netflix earlier in the week and thought it was his worst stuff for a number of years. Its funny, but its not that funny...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Tom 1860 wrote:Watched the Louis CK 2017 on Netflix earlier in the week and thought it was his worst stuff for a number of years. Its funny, but its not that funny...
Agree completely. Some of the stuff was hilarious, but the first bit was slow and the last 10 minutes or so was really kind of poor.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Louis CK 2017 was awesome.

And Neal Brennan 3 Mics needs to win an award of some sort because that was incredible.
Neal Brennan's was was really good, he brought a unique style and his discussion of his depression was dead on. Dave Chappelle's special was great, while Amy Schumer's was painfully unfunny. Truly horrible. I never look at reviews on Netflix, but since Schumer's special was like a one or 2 star rating, I looked. A lot of pro-Trump "OMFG, this fat bitch is related to Chuck Schumer...," so I watched anyways. Just crude and dirty sex jokes for the sake of being crude and dirty. I liked her previous special and her show, and always like her when I've heard her on podcasts and interviews, but this was just plain unfunny, even if you take out the 10 minutes of crying and calling for gun control because the Aurora theater shooting was during her movie.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I agree with Johnnie. I thought the new Louis CK was very funny

ETA: and Neal Brennan's special was indeed incredible. Alternately poignant and hilarious. What an interesting guy.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Local theater going public with unfair competition with the Kennedy Center
http://drafthousecomedy.com/kennedy-center-problems
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Watched the first Chappelle special on Netflix last night.

Solidly OK. I don't get the rave reviews. Some of it was a little cringey, some was brilliant. See how the second set stacks up soon.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jo Koy had a pretty good special.

His line "I'm half Filipino and half white. So you know what that means? My dad was in the military." made me pause it completely and I laughed for a solid minute. Because it's so fucking true. There are levels to that joke that typical non military civilian might not see.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote:Watched the first Chappelle special on Netflix last night.

Solidly OK. I don't get the rave reviews. Some of it was a little cringey, some was brilliant. See how the second set stacks up soon.
I haven't seen it, but I'm of the opinion Chappelle was probably smart (legacy-wise) to walk away when he did and dumb (legacy-wise) to return.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:

I haven't seen it, but I'm of the opinion Chappelle was probably smart (legacy-wise) to walk away when he did and dumb (legacy-wise) to return.
I'm not of the easily offended nature, and I wasn't offended by some of the bits, but they certainly come off as a little tone deaf to culture today.

Which is understandable. Dave is 42 now. It's hard for me to comprehend that. No so much his age as a number, but I just remember him in his late 20s doing all the shit I found so funny. He's not that guy anymore.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:
mister d wrote:

I'm not of the easily offended nature, and I wasn't offended by some of the bits, but they certainly come off as a little tone deaf to culture today.

Which is understandable. Dave is 42 now. It's hard for me to comprehend that. No so much his age as a number, but I just remember him in his late 20s doing all the shit I found so funny. He's not that guy anymore.
Stand-up is HARD. Think about the great stand-ups. The great specials. Hard to keep it funny for years when you are that big. Moving to movies and TV shows the easier side of the entertainment world. Really hard to come back from that after a hit or two on stand up specials. You hear stories of Chris Rock and Seinfeld still doing sets, but you don't hear that from Eddie Murphy
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
mister d wrote:

Stand-up is HARD. Think about the great stand-ups. The great specials. Hard to keep it funny for years when you are that big. Moving to movies and TV shows the easier side of the entertainment world. Really hard to come back from that after a hit or two on stand up specials. You hear stories of Chris Rock and Seinfeld still doing sets, but you don't hear that from Eddie Murphy
Oh I totally get that. Even my favorite comedians are hit and miss. Gaffigan's last special was so-so. I adore Iliza Shlesinger and her last one was no where near the caliber of War Paint or Freezing Hot.

Stand up is exceptionally difficult. As happy as I am that Netflix is supporting it and giving people multiple special deals, I think it dilutes the magic a little bit. Comics have to come up with scorching, tight material and don't have nearly the time to workshop it as they might have if it was just an HBO gig ever 2.5 years.

Some of Dave's stuff made me laugh out loud. And I don't mind offensive uncomfortable humor, but again, some of it just rang hollow and tone-deaf for me. Then again, maybe I'm not supposed to relate to everything a 42 year old black man says.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Speaking of Iliza, Patrice O'Neal (RIP) nails her overall problem.

https://youtu.be/R3vPaT3Fe0w
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Crosspost to Netflix suggestions. Really awesome special. Does comedy via life story storytelling. Very, very entertaining.

https://youtu.be/Fu-u5VldxVY
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I bought the gf and I tickets to see Tom Segura in November. He is her favorite comedian, so I sprung for the VIP tickets. It gets you better seating and a meet and greet after the show. I hope to get a pic where I hold his pocket. I may also need to get a "Bert is fat" shirt to wear that night.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie - Jen and I saw him when he came through dc. Really great set, you will have fun.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Johnnie wrote:Crosspost to Netflix suggestions. Really awesome special. Does comedy via life story storytelling. Very, very entertaining.

https://youtu.be/Fu-u5VldxVY
Who the hell is gonna relate to stories about a little brown boy growing up in Davis, Ca? Oh, wait…
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal wrote:Johnnie - Jen and I saw him when he came through dc. Really great set, you will have fun.
I'm amped. The only other comics I've read about coming through in the past year plus I've been here is Bill Maher, Marc Maron, Dave Attell, George Lopez, and, soon, Nikki Glaser. So if I get more than a few moments with him in the meet and greet I'm gunna tell him to tell Bert, Burr, and Rogan that they gotta come here. For the troops.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote:Johnnie - Jen and I saw him when he came through dc. Really great set, you will have fun.
Scratch that - we saw Tom Papa - he was really good.
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Took the wife to funny bone with another couple for her birthday Saturday. Steve Trevino was the headliner and that is the hardest we had laughed in a while. Good stuff.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Norm McDonald's Netflix special is pretty good. The last twenty minutes or so are really funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:Norm McDonald's Netflix special is pretty good. The last twenty minutes or so are really funny.
Watched it last night. I think Norm has lost a lot off his fastball. The crowd didn't seem to be helping him much, either.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Norm McDonald's Netflix special is pretty good. The last twenty minutes or so are really funny.
Watched it last night. I think Norm has lost a lot off his fastball. The crowd didn't seem to be helping him much, either.
True. Very odd to see a stand up special with so little crowd noise/reaction.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Patrice O'Neal was so right.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Patrice O'Neal was so right.

I know I'm old and uncool...

But I don't even know where to begin deciphering this.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I don't give a fuck. Iliza is awesome.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Chris D'Elia is in town on Saturday. The gf just watched his new stand up last week too. It was pretty good.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote:Chris D'Elia is in town on Saturday. The gf just watched his new stand up last week too. It was pretty good.
Yeah I thought it was solid too and I've been pretty burned out on comedians' new material in general lately.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:I don't give a fuck. Iliza is awesome.
I liked her, until I tried to watch one of her specials. It was so painfully unfunny. I really tried to power through, thinking it would get better, but I threw in the towel. I was uncomfortable and cringing, not at the material, just that she was trying so hard, and was just not funny. At all. She is hot as fuck, though.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:I don't give a fuck. Iliza is awesome.
I liked her, until I tried to watch one of her specials. It was so painfully unfunny. I really tried to power through, thinking it would get better, but I threw in the towel. I was uncomfortable and cringing, not at the material, just that she was trying so hard, and was just not funny. At all. She is hot as fuck, though.
He most recent one was weaker, but War Paint and Freezing Hot were both fantastic IMO.