Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by P.D.X. »

She certainly has the best "dumb chick" impression out there. Just nails it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:I don't give a fuck. Iliza is awesome.
I liked her, until I tried to watch one of her specials. It was so painfully unfunny. I really tried to power through, thinking it would get better, but I threw in the towel. I was uncomfortable and cringing, not at the material, just that she was trying so hard, and was just not funny. At all. She is hot as fuck, though.
He most recent one was weaker, but War Paint and Freezing Hot were both fantastic IMO.
Checked Netflix, and I watched her most recent one, Confirmed Kills. I'm willing to check out the others, as I did find her funny on podcasts.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Watched Rory Scovel's Netflix special a couple of weeks ago. Started off purposely, entertainingly awkward before becoming a bit more of a traditional set. Seemed to have been filmed last summer or early fall, so some of the anti-Trump stuff almost ended up more poignant than funny :(.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Because I really love my daughter I have tickets for
Piff the Magic Dragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTt-eRWVxd4
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HE wasn't in Lexington this past weekend and we didn't know til it was too late. He's fun.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I love Piff! My wife and kids think I'm nuts for it. My daughter likes him, but won't admit it. If there was a Piff and Tape Face tour, I'd be all over it.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:I love Piff! My wife and kids think I'm nuts for it. My daughter likes him, but won't admit it. If there was a Piff and Tape Face tour, I'd be all over it.
I think his is brilliant in small doses. Card tricks are okay for a few minutes, but a whole show? He is witty and the British accent helps....we will see if that equates to an entire show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I love Piff! My wife and kids think I'm nuts for it. My daughter likes him, but won't admit it. If there was a Piff and Tape Face tour, I'd be all over it.
I think his is brilliant in small doses. Card tricks are okay for a few minutes, but a whole show? He is witty and the British accent helps....we will see if that equates to an entire show.
You know, I didn't think about that. An hour of that act could get really old. What I loved about his act the most was his attitude during the Judge's critiques, when he acted like he didn't give a fuck and was annoyed having to listen to them, even when they praised him. Then pulling out and eating an apple or a sandwich while they decided his fate.

As a side note, how the fuck is Heidi Klum still that fucking hot?
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:
You know, I didn't think about that. An hour of that act could get really old. What I loved about his act the most was his attitude during the Judge's critiques, when he acted like he didn't give a fuck and was annoyed having to listen to them, even when they praised him. Then pulling out and eating an apple or a sandwich while they decided his fate.

Yeah the banana the first time I saw it was fantastic. So here is the rub on Piff and the current state of TV. He has done the same bit on America's got talent, Britian's got talent, Penn & Teller Fool Us British Version and Penn & Teller Fool Us US Version. Down to the same jokes and 1-liners. On the other hand I laughed each time.

as for Heidi Klum....it's her job
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Be still, my beating heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXlQOzPHK8
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Donald Glover's stand up special on Netflix is unwatchable.

Amiable actor and all, but so unfunny as a standup.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't mind his stand up. But then again I've been following him since he was in this comic troupe, so I like his comedy.

https://youtu.be/3zvTRQr7ns8

https://youtu.be/5wHB-CN0eIk
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Watched the Rory Scovell special last night on Netflix. The actual comedy was very good, he had a small room really going, but added 2 skits into the mix for no reason and it just broke up the flow for me. Still worth a watch.

Side note: Has Jack White ever been outdoors? He's got a small scene in a sketch and he is beyond white as a ghost.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good to see Zip still bringing the funny to FB.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone else enjoying CNN's History of Comedy? I am not giving it more than 3 stars, but am really enjoying old clips of really classic comedians who I never saw in my prime (example: Jonathan Winters). I have been trying to find old comedy albums that are of decent sound quality and kid friendly recently for my boy because he has memorized the more recent clean ones (some Demetri Martin, Regan, Seinfeld, Gaffigan, Engval, etc.)

There are some short Drew Carrey clips on youtube, but must be more from that earlier generation of "getting invited to the couch by Johnny"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not an older, Carson-era comic, but my kids loved Brian Regan's standup.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote:Not an older, Carson-era comic, but my kids loved Brian Regan's standup.

His "you too!" skit comes up in our household once a quarter at least.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Not an older, Carson-era comic, but my kids loved Brian Regan's standup.

His "you too!" skit comes up in our household once a quarter at least.

I took my son to see him last year. He was fun, but having people in the audience yell "The big yellow one is the sun" (out of context) really gets old.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

Yeah the banana the first time I saw it was fantastic. So here is the rub on Piff and the current state of TV. He has done the same bit on America's got talent, Britian's got talent, Penn & Teller Fool Us British Version and Penn & Teller Fool Us US Version. Down to the same jokes and 1-liners. On the other hand I laughed each time.

as for Heidi Klum....it's her job

B.T.W. never followed up on this. Piff was fantastic. Rolls with a disruptive crowd, the magic is very impressive but Piff is just fun. We saw him at a non-top tier place so ticket prices were excellent for the value. His opener and middle guy were pretty good too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Anyone else enjoying CNN's History of Comedy? I am not giving it more than 3 stars, but am really enjoying old clips of really classic comedians who I never saw in my prime (example: Jonathan Winters). I have been trying to find old comedy albums that are of decent sound quality and kid friendly recently for my boy because he has memorized the more recent clean ones (some Demetri Martin, Regan, Seinfeld, Gaffigan, Engval, etc.)

Have you found any Bob Newhart? "The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart" is a classic.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

No idea how they judge these things, but...

Best Jokes From Edinburgh Fringe Festival

#9 - “I wasn’t particularly close to my dad before he died ... which was lucky, because he trod on a landmine.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:The challenge is finding comedians that don't work in the blue. Any suggestions?

Bobby. Heenan.

:(
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seeing Tom Segura Thursday night. I got VIP tickets back in June which will let me meet him after the show.

And may now bought Bill Burr tickets for his show on December 1st. I'll go to predeployment training on the 3rd, so I'm amped I'll get to see him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Seeing Tom Segura Thursday night. I got VIP tickets back in June which will let me meet him after the show.

And may now bought Bill Burr tickets for his show on December 1st. I'll go to predeployment training on the 3rd, so I'm amped I'll get to see him.

Very cool. I've became a big fan of both of those guys, which is due to taking your advice and listening to Burr and Rogan's podcasts, so thanks. I keep adding podcasts, mostly to listen to experts on indictments and federal prosecutions. Burr is the only logical choice, since it's just a guy aimlessly babbling for an hour twice a week, but I can't do it. He can describe paint drying, and I'm riveted and cracking up. I go into withdrawals if I miss a few episodes.

-I probably became a fan of Segura from listening to Bert Kreisher's pod several years ago, but his appearances on Rogan solidified. Bert's pod is entertaining, but I haven't listened to him in a few months.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Seeing Tom Segura Thursday night. I got VIP tickets back in June which will let me meet him after the show.

Very cool. I've became a big fan of both of those guys, which is due to taking your advice and listening to Burr and Rogan's podcasts, so thanks. I keep adding podcasts, mostly to listen to experts on indictments and federal prosecutions. Burr is the only logical choice, since it's just a guy aimlessly babbling for an hour twice a week, but I can't do it. He can describe paint drying, and I'm riveted and cracking up. I go into withdrawals if I miss a few episodes.

-I probably became a fan of Segura from listening to Bert Kreisher's pod several years ago, but his appearances on Rogan solidified. Bert's pod is entertaining, but I haven't listened to him in a few months.

Your Mom’s House with Segura and his wife Christina Pazitsky is a funny, stupid, silly podcast also.

She has a stand up special on Netflix called Mother Inferior that just started airing. Haven’t seen it, mainly because I don’t have Netflix.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Your Mom’s House with Segura and his wife Christina Pazitsky is a funny, stupid, silly podcast also.

She has a stand up special on Netflix called Mother Inferior that just started airing. Haven’t seen it, mainly because I don’t have Netflix.

I saw her special. It was ok. Her routine is really good, but she does these really annoying voices that irritate me. I heard her interviewed on Rogan, and she did the voices way too much. And she was a Road Rules cast member for the Australia season. I don't remember her, but I know I watched some of that season. I only remember Piggy, the annoying biracial British chick who was constantly crying.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oddly enough, I've tried twice and failed to latch onto Your Mom's House podcast. I can't do it. I still like his standup (obviously), but I'm only listening to him on other people's podcasts.

I also have to pick my spots with Rogan and Burt Kreisher. Sure, there might be some genius stuff said in some of the podcasts I miss, but I can only listen to the same stories and personality traits when telling a story over and over again. At least Rogan has a crazy diverse range of guests in between romanticising marijuana.

Burr rambles aimlessly about a wide array of topics and, most importantly, his ad reads are hysterical. Kreisher will no shit wax poetic for 10 minutes about Blue Apron and it's ridiculous.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Oddly enough, I've tried twice and failed to latch onto Your Mom's House podcast. I can't do it. I still like his standup (obviously), but I'm only listening to him on other people's podcasts.

I also have to pick my spots with Rogan and Burt Kreisher. Sure, there might be some genius stuff said in some of the podcasts I miss, but I can only listen to the same stories and personality traits when telling a story over and over again. At least Rogan has a crazy diverse range of guests in between romanticising marijuana.

Burr rambles aimlessly about a wide array of topics and, most importantly, his ad reads are hysterical. Kreisher will no shit wax poetic for 10 minutes about Blue Apron and it's ridiculous.

Burr is the only podcast that I actually listen to the ads. He says it all the time, he makes them inappropriate as hell, but people listen. A couple months ago he got a new sponsor, who happens to be a client of mine. Actually, a lot of podcast ads are clients, since we have a lot of tech startups, but this one I actually did some work for. They are trying to be the Uber of the massage industry, and Burr was fucking murdering them. I was cringing and laughing, especially since I do their HR work and everything he was saying was insinuating they are a prostitution service. Next episode, he goes on a tirade that they dropped their ads with him. Fucking hilarious.

I skip all of Rogan's fight companions and bow hunting experts and the like. His discussions with professors and academics have been fascinating, same with his political interviews. The shows with comedians provide a perfect break from the highly intellectual stuff. And then Joey Diaz, holy fuck is that guy a character. I've listened to his podcast a couple times, but he is a lot to handle.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Judah Friedlander special on Netflix (The United States Is The Best Country in America) was pretty good. I admit I wasn't sure if I would like his standup, but it's pretty clever. It's obvious he's a pretty smart guy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Be still, my beating heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXlQOzPHK8

Just listened to it and it was excellent. Even better was Norm's hour with Jerry Seinfeld.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I saw Bill Burr on December 1st. Fucking amazing. He had some military jokes that made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

Also, this is great:

https://youtu.be/zX7zBuM8yAI
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:I saw Bill Burr on December 1st. Fucking amazing. He had some military jokes that made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

Also, this is great:

https://youtu.be/zX7zBuM8yAI

When he imitated Burr imitating his wife, he was spot on.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just watched Todd Barry's new Netflix special, Spicy Honey. One of the best new specials of the past year. Also saw Louis C.K.'s newest, and thought it was mostly unfunny. Always loved his comedy, and just not a good special from him. He was always uncomfortably creepy, but recent news made his creepy sex stuff creepier. Even if I saw the special before the allegations, it still wouldn't have been funny.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The new Chappelle stand ups are great. Definitely watch them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:The new Chappelle stand ups are great. Definitely watch them.

Just watched one of them - the one with the story about dinner at his white friend's house - and it was really good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I see my post about Hasan Minhaj's special I wrote last week didn't post. It was so good. Hilarious, powerful, really hit me on an emotional level. It's more longform storytelling than stand-up. Just really intelligent, deeply thought out, and unique style. I'm such a huge fan. I always liked him on The Daily Show, and he absolutely killed at the WH Correspondents Dinner in a very difficult situation. Then hearing him on the live Preet Bharara podcast, he was just so open and real, and damn, this was just a raw emotional portrayal of his life story.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) I love Tom Segura, so take it with that caveat... I just watched his latest on Netflix and pretty consistently laughed my ass off for over an hour.

2) Watching the Jim Carey version of Getting Coffee with Seinfeld. Holy shit. Jim has really turned into a very fucking weird dude.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote:1) I love Tom Segura, so take it with that caveat... I just watched his latest on Netflix and pretty consistently laughed my ass off for over an hour.

His new one comes out on the 12th.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:I see my post about Hasan Minhaj's special I wrote last week didn't post. It was so good. Hilarious, powerful, really hit me on an emotional level. It's more longform storytelling than stand-up. Just really intelligent, deeply thought out, and unique style. I'm such a huge fan. I always liked him on The Daily Show, and he absolutely killed at the WH Correspondents Dinner in a very difficult situation. Then hearing him on the live Preet Bharara podcast, he was just so open and real, and damn, this was just a raw emotional portrayal of his life story.

Yea that was like half TED Talk and half comedy special. Really gripping.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I see my post about Hasan Minhaj's special I wrote last week didn't post. It was so good. Hilarious, powerful, really hit me on an emotional level. It's more longform storytelling than stand-up. Just really intelligent, deeply thought out, and unique style. I'm such a huge fan. I always liked him on The Daily Show, and he absolutely killed at the WH Correspondents Dinner in a very difficult situation. Then hearing him on the live Preet Bharara podcast, he was just so open and real, and damn, this was just a raw emotional portrayal of his life story.

Yea that was like half TED Talk and half comedy special. Really gripping.

Good way of putting it, I couldn't quite define it.
-Pruitt