Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm First time I've watched your stand-up (not on Facebook).

One thing I would recommend is trying to build a couple transitions to help you move from topic to topic. It will help your set flow and also reduce your need to rely on a set list. While I'm guessing you were concerned about accidentally skipping parts of your bit to make sure you went the full 20 minutes, the addition of some transitions should also help make the entire set more like one long bit as opposed to several small bits tied together.

Otherwise, you're doing really well. It's often hard for any comic to win over a small crowd unfamiliar with them, and the content of your material can make that even more difficult, but you did a good job at making sure they stayed with you, interacting with them without doing crowd work.
you are right 100 percent. When i run 10 minute sets the transistions are seamless because i'm used to the bits...doing a 20 for the first time meant a new set order for the first time in awhile, and 5 new bits to mix in. it was a trial by fire set....by set 3 that weekend i was going note free, but i know the transition quality and set checks are bad here. i'm open to review on which joeks to keep or cut if anyone has thoughts or favorites..a lot is new and i don't have opinions on it yet
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

TT2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:30 pmWhen i run 10 minute sets the transistions are seamless because i'm used to the bits...doing a 20 for the first time meant a new set order for the first time in awhile, and 5 new bits to mix in. it was a trial by fire set....by set 3 that weekend i was going note free, but i know the transition quality and set checks are bad here. i'm open to review on which joeks to keep or cut if anyone has thoughts or favorites..a lot is new and i don't have opinions on it yet
As far as which jokes to keep/cut, I think you should rely on the feedback you get from your live audiences more than from Swampers. Getting a complete stranger to laugh is a lot harder than someone who knows you. I know there aren't a ton of opportunities to perform in front of crowds, but they'll let you know what works and what doesn't (and what maybe just needs to be re-worked or tweaked as you keep using it).

One other thing to take from doing these 20 minute sets is that you can pick different bits and move them around to see how they work when doing shorter sets. You can see differences in audience reaction based on the sequencing as to what works well, if it's the material on its own, how it fits into your set, and so on. Eventually, you can use this to build your best possible 10, then, as you keep creating a developing material, a best possible 20, a couple different strong 10's, and on and on.

Keep working at it. You're doing really well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was really good, man! I was really sucked in when you're telling the story-based stuff with jokes intermixed. That seems like your strong suit. I fucking laughed at "That's a meth body!" And "All Dicks Matter." And taking a sip of your drink from the McDonald's cup was really good.

And outside of the back turning and memorizing your set a bit better, I'd keep my hands out of my pockets too. That draws me away from the stories you're telling for some reason. Maybe that's a thing with me, so I could be wrong.

Keep this up. You're doing such a great job. I look forward to watching your next set.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 am That was really good, man! I was really sucked in when you're telling the story-based stuff with jokes intermixed. That seems like your strong suit. I fucking laughed at "That's a meth body!" And "All Dicks Matter." And taking a sip of your drink from the McDonald's cup was really good.

And outside of the back turning and memorizing your set a bit better, I'd keep my hands out of my pockets too. That draws me away from the stories you're telling for some reason. Maybe that's a thing with me, so I could be wrong.

Keep this up. You're doing such a great job. I look forward to watching your next set.
Agreed on the storytelling. I've noticed that so many of the really big comics are really just funny storytellers. That works better than a series of jokes.

Also agree on the hands. When you have your hand(s) in your pocket, you look nervous, which then makes the audience uneasy. Be confident and own it out there even if inside you're nervous as shit!
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Audiences are like bears, do whatever you can to make yourself seem even larger.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Finger guns the whole time
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The improvement you've shown in a very short time is really remarkable Ben. Keep at it. I can't wait to see it come together more. Your stage presence is night and day from the first vids you posted.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am Finger ... the ...hole ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am
best advice.

seriously im so fucking Ricky bobby..
I don't know what the fuck to do with my hands
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:52 am Audiences are like bears, do whatever you can to make yourself seem even larger.
Stand Up Safety Tip #8.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Someone was prepped for Lower Macungie Township.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am
best advice.

seriously im so fucking Ricky bobby..
I don't know what the fuck to do with my hands
I do a lot of product demos for work, which is not the same thing at all, but it IS sort of being on (virtual) stage with folks watching you talk. I find that I talk with my hands then about 50x more than I do in regular conversations. Not sure it makes my presentations any better, but it feels like I'm engaged and doing something.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think most presentationists encourage hand moving.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Back when I used to do them in person in a room with people, I also walked around a lot. Again, I think that helps keep the audience's attention.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:50 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 am That was really good, man! I was really sucked in when you're telling the story-based stuff with jokes intermixed. That seems like your strong suit. I fucking laughed at "That's a meth body!" And "All Dicks Matter." And taking a sip of your drink from the McDonald's cup was really good.

Agreed on the storytelling. I've noticed that so many of the really big comics are really just funny storytellers. That works better than a series of jokes.

This.

Set 'em up, knock 'em down... It's hard to keep an audience's attention with that.

Guys like Andrew Shulz are so good at crowd work, they can slip in rapid fire stuff for the bulk of his shows... But he can also do a great story arc run. His bit on going to a National Park is fucking amazing.

But, yeah, Mike Brbiglia is a great example of a guy that is almost more of a story-teller than a comedian.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Wow after a more than 20 year hiatus Frank Rizzo and Sol Rosenberg are back.

Yup just learned the Jerky Boys released a new album.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i rarely catch video but my best friend caught a cell phone video of me opening for chad prather this past weekend. it was fun

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

God damn your delivery is getting better and better my man. Keep it rollling.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 pm God damn your delivery is getting better and better my man. Keep it rollling.
This, and you are looking really healthy! Great job, Ben. I love the mix of storytelling, one-liners and Jeselnik style twists. Keep posting when you do get videos.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Can't decide if my favorite part is Ben getting so comfortable and good at his delivery or that the camera man felt he needed to turn his phone to capture all of Ben.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 pm Can't decide if my favorite part is Ben getting so comfortable and good at his delivery or that the camera man felt he needed to turn his phone to capture all of Ben.
He's 20% funnier in portrait. Common knowledge.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That was really good!

He's got the timing down.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That was like the third or fourth time I heard you tell that one, yet the "drive slowly past the abortion clinic" joke always gets me.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

thank you guys for watching. i really appreciate the feedback. I've been working a lot on the comfort issues up there, and its getting easier. I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I noticed that you started with a hand in your pocket, looking a bit nervous, but it quickly came out and you started using it, walking around and owning the stage. Very nice. You have your pauses timed out nicely as well. Keeping working it and keep writing new stuff.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

TT2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 pm I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Random thought - have you considered opening with it? That strikes me as a good icebreaker that makes it clear what your style is going to be like. Just my non-professional view though.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 pm I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Random thought - have you considered opening with it? That strikes me as a good icebreaker that makes it clear what your style is going to be like. Just my non-professional view though.
Don't stop telling that joke! I think it's great. Like L-Jam said, I've heard it several times and I still laugh. It's clever, insulting, a little gross when it unravels in your mind... it's perfect. I think it's too clever to open with, I think you need to get an audience into your mindset and style so they are with you before you hit them with that one.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 am
Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 pm
Don't stop telling that joke! I think it's great. Like L-Jam said, I've heard it several times and I still laugh. It's clever, insulting, a little gross when it unravels in your mind... it's perfect. I think it's too clever to open with, I think you need to get an audience into your mindset and style so they are with you before you hit them with that one.
I opened with it twice and it's too weird an energy. there is no place to go after it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

Had not heard of him before 2 days ago. He just ended up showing up on Facebook and I went down a rabbit hole. He was just working the crowd in most of them and I was impressed. He was quick. What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I listen to the Brilliant Idiots podcast. It's him and Charlamagne The God. It's pretty good. That's how I knew of him. So his stand up stuff was always in the YouTube suggestion algorithm for me.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am
Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
This is a double edged sword for me. Some comics its fucking annoying. But Chapelle and Ron Funches are 2 specifically I can think of that just make me double over when they crack themselves up. I can't imagine Chapelle's act without him smacking the mic on his knee because he knows he's so fucking funny.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:41 am

What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
This is a double edged sword for me. Some comics its fucking annoying. But Chapelle and Ron Funches are 2 specifically I can think of that just make me double over when they crack themselves up. I can't imagine Chapelle's act without him smacking the mic on his knee because he knows he's so fucking funny.
Watched the embedded video. Decent writing but feel like a big step back from what I saw with him on stage. Would not go out of my way to watch him on netflix but if he was in town would consider seeing him live.

One of the things I liked was he could joke about sterotypes and people in the crowd and it did not feel insulting or cheap. Just everyone enjoying themselves even the person on in the audience he was picking on.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just posted a couple hours ago.

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Watching the Patrice O'Neal retrospective on Comedy Central, Killing is Easy. I feel like I don't know any comedians from the past 10 years, and he's one of the last ones I really remember watching.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dude is was hilarious. Boston boy too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Had not heard of him before 2 days ago. He just ended up showing up on Facebook and I went down a rabbit hole. He was just working the crowd in most of them and I was impressed. He was quick. What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
I mentioned him up thread.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:46 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:41 am

Watched the embedded video. Decent writing but feel like a big step back from what I saw with him on stage. Would not go out of my way to watch him on netflix but if he was in town would consider seeing him live.

One of the things I liked was he could joke about sterotypes and people in the crowd and it did not feel insulting or cheap. Just everyone enjoying themselves even the person on in the audience he was picking on.
Yeah, I love his stand up, not a huge fan of where he is taking his podcast--at least the one with the Indian dude. Definitely didn't like the Netflix special... Only watched a few minutes.

Like I said, his crowd work is unparalleled.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Reaper wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 pm Watching the Patrice O'Neal retrospective on Comedy Central, Killing is Easy. I feel like I don't know any comedians from the past 10 years, and he's one of the last ones I really remember watching.
For everyone:

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

thanks bro. great watch