Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 pm I can feel the pre-triggering here already.

I haven’t watched it yet (and am looking forward to it). Bill Burr’s funny as shit. (just realized it doesn’t get released until September 10th)...

FTR, I find Chapelle overrated. He was overrated then and he’s grasping at straws now. It’s sad, really. But in a point and laugh at him kind of way. Punching down to score some sort of ah-ha! points. Yuck. Have fun with the #incel crowd, I guess?
Noli Timere Messorem
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 am So when are we going to do this about TT?
I just could not disagree any harder with most of the things you guys are saying, throwing around phrases like, this word is verboten, this subject is sensitive, you should never be hurtful, and he has a responsibility to grow as a comedian. God willing, you will have this conversation about me, because I absolutely believe with all my heart nothing should ever be off limits. If you go into a venue where it is understood people are joking, and you take any part of it seriously, get over yourself. Chappelle gets paid to try to make people laugh. Every joke isn't for every crowd or audience. At the end of the day I'm trying to make some people laugh. Not all the people, nobody gets everyone. People are going to have problems with any and every joke. First off comics lie, its almost necessary, and second if the comedy offends you, leave. Don't watch, because you obviously weren't the target market for that joke. Don't try to kill a career because you don't find the material funny. Other people do, obviously.

I don't care who gets offended, what people say you shouldn't joke about or say, If I have a microphone in my hand and I think its funny, I'm going to say it 100 times out of 100...and if nobody ever comes to hear me tell jokes because of it, so be it. Just my 2 cents.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:04 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 am So when are we going to do this about TT?
I just could not disagree any harder with most of the things you guys are saying, throwing around phrases like, this word is verboten, this subject is sensitive, you should never be hurtful, and he has a responsibility to grow as a comedian. God willing, you will have this conversation about me, because I absolutely believe with all my heart nothing should ever be off limits. If you go into a venue where it is understood people are joking, and you take any part of it seriously, get over yourself. Chappelle gets paid to try to make people laugh. Every joke isn't for every crowd or audience. At the end of the day I'm trying to make some people laugh. Not all the people, nobody gets everyone. People are going to have problems with any and every joke. First off comics lie, its almost necessary, and second if the comedy offends you, leave. Don't watch, because you obviously weren't the target market for that joke. Don't try to kill a career because you don't find the material funny. Other people do, obviously.

I don't care who gets offended, what people say you shouldn't joke about or say, If I have a microphone in my hand and I think its funny, I'm going to say it 100 times out of 100...and if nobody ever comes to hear me tell jokes because of it, so be it. Just my 2 cents.
You could do a 5 minute bit on the abject horror children face during a shooting drill. Or, you know, the kids Chapelle went after who Michael Jackson violated sexually. But yeah, Sandy Hook’s got to be a fucking gold mine, right? Let him stew in this shit.

Not that you asked, but your “in”, if you will, is that you lived the life of a junkie. You’re not punching downward when you do a 30 minute bit tearing that shit up. Cuz you lived it.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh boy, were you not here for TT’s hot take on Sandy Hook? It wasn’t funny, but he wasn’t a comedian back then, so I guess it wasn’t supposed to be, and I guess it’s ok if some of us were disgusted by it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:04 pm

You could do a 5 minute bit on the abject horror children face during a shooting drill. Or, you know, the kids Chapelle went after who Michael Jackson violated sexually. But yeah, Sandy Hook’s got to be a fucking gold mine, right? Let him stew in this shit.

Not that you asked, but your “in”, if you will, is that you lived the life of a junkie. You’re not punching downward when you do a 30 minute bit tearing that shit up. Cuz you lived it.
It's not necessarily "will I make a joke about this?"...There are things I dont joke about either because I dont think I'm good enough to do it yet or I choose not to, but i also am completely willing to punch down if the joke is worth it. In the past I will definitely own that there have been some misses but I'm 100% on board with school shooting jokes still. If it was offensive it was offensive. Anyone can get it, as long as its funny. The only way I know how to get better is to keep writing a ton of shit jokes and hope better ones come after
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:19 pm Oh boy, were you not here for TT’s hot take on Sandy Hook? It wasn’t funny, but he wasn’t a comedian back then, so I guess it wasn’t supposed to be, and I guess it’s ok if some of us were disgusted by it.
No, I wasn’t. I will say though that given the fact laughter is a defense mechanism, it stands to reason that a lot of humor that is labeled “shock humor” isn’t particularly funny. It just makes people laugh. I guess part of a comedian’s job then is to make sure they strike a balance with their material, lest they be known as the unfunny comedian who makes people laugh.

If you’re going to bring up Sandy Hook, then the shock humor involved in it needs to be say, part of a larger theme about how the United States has gone prostrated to the NRA. If you’re just shock to be upside down from common sense, then you’re not as funny (or worse, smart) as you think you are.

(This is about comedians in general, not singling anyone out (well, beyond Chapelle)...
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

TT, the issue is when you say “you go to laugh”. If the “you” is someone who lives their life as a target and the jokes are nothing more than “trans is both and yuck!” and it kills, what’s the message and is that one you want to stand behind? A good standup can make everyone laugh together without THEMS laughing at thems, even if the numbers work.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 pm TT, the issue is when you say “you go to laugh”. If the “you” is someone who lives their life as a target and the jokes are nothing more than “trans is both and yuck!” and it kills, what’s the message and is that one you want to stand behind? A good standup can make everyone laugh together without THEMS laughing at thems, even if the numbers work.
This is not me calling myself a real comedian by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a decent sample size of shows and I can tell you that people come to shows specifically to get offended and fuckup everyone elses enjoyment. Some people do get off at playing the "im offended" card. To me as a comedian, I have said I will never apologize for a joke, because my job is to try. As long as I thought it had a chance of working, I will die for a joke. Now hack shock humor is hack shock humor and im not defending that, but I honestly don't have any empathy for people who complain about being the target of jokes. Get the fuck over yourself, anyone can get it. Either everybody gets to be offended and be off limits or nobody does. I choose the second option, otherwise why even have comedians?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So thoughtless, shock comedy that requires a victim, because the audience demands it?

And then rationalizing that people shouldn’t feel the way they do because as a comedian you don’t mean a thing?

Huh.
Noli Timere Messorem
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:49 am So thoughtless, shock comedy that requires a victim, because the audience demands it?

And then rationalizing that people shouldn’t feel the way they do because as a comedian you don’t mean a thing?

Huh.
You are responsible for your own feelings. be a victim or dont, but I'm not going to change what I do because of how you feel. A lot of comedy demands a victim because pain is funny. If you dont want to hear a joke, leave...its not "if you dont want to hear a joke, nobody gets to." be mad. be upset. Boycott if you want...just dont ask me to care about how you feel about jokes
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Life advice from a would-be insult comic. Take a bit of your own advice and get over yourself. (o;
[+] spoiler
For the record, Jeff Ross is hilarious with or without targets at the end of jokes, which is what makes his jokes about Glee being an AIDS documentary all the more funny.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

making Andrew Dice Clay a role model is a choice.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:48 am making Andrew Dice Clay a role model is a choice.
Absolutely. Everything is not meant for everyone. As long as you are willing to take whatever comes from making that choice, then its your choice. If the jokes really aren't funny nobody will come see the comedy and it will go away anyway
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kevin Hart suffers ‘major back injuries’ in car crash

He got that car a month ago for his 40th birthday. '70 Cuda with a Hellcat engine. Now it's junk. And his back is fucked.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Short fucker couldn’t reach the brake.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

If one of you can give me a quick reminder on how to get a 34mb video onto the swamp I will post my set from last night, otherwise, its on fb if any of you have any interest.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Here you go.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Appreciate it. you've been helping me with my tech shit since like 2008 johnnie
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 pm Appreciate it. you've been helping me with my tech shit since like 2008 johnnie
Have I? Well, you're welcome for my service.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Goddamn, TT! You are really coming along! I love seeing new takes on a bit I heard before. You took on the geriatric cunnilingus premise from a different angle. If you were doing an hour, I think you could mine that for a solid 10 minutes. I'd love to see the progression of a bit from a top tier comic, from the initial idea through all the variations until they hone it. That would make for a great documentary or accompaniment to a special. I;d love to watch a special, then a compilation of the joke taking shape afterwards.

That had to be a really hard room with 2 TVs behind you showing games and a loud audience. You are showing confidence in playing with crowd and moving off your joke to interact then get back to the joke. Keep updating here and on FB, I'm really enjoying watching your progress, and do the Swamp Pussies proud!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:37 pm Goddamn, TT! You are really coming along! I love seeing new takes on a bit I heard before. You took on the geriatric cunnilingus premise from a different angle. If you were doing an hour, I think you could mine that for a solid 10 minutes. I'd love to see the progression of a bit from a top tier comic, from the initial idea through all the variations until they hone it. That would make for a great documentary or accompaniment to a special. I;d love to watch a special, then a compilation of the joke taking shape afterwards.

That had to be a really hard room with 2 TVs behind you showing games and a loud audience. You are showing confidence in playing with crowd and moving off your joke to interact then get back to the joke. Keep updating here and on FB, I'm really enjoying watching your progress, and do the Swamp Pussies proud!
Thanks bro. I feel more comfortable and its better but I still see so much to fix. I just try to slant things a little different then other comics. Fortunately fucking old women for pills Is a limited market. I genuinely regret doing that bullshit NBA joke at the end. went one too far because I thought doing a James harden to Larry bird arc was clever. I just...eh. I make bad decisions in the moment sometimes. it's so hard to tell if it's ever going to get to "I'd pay money to see him " good
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Coming along nicely...

In a better room, that would have - if not killed, than badly wounded!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Whitney Cummings' new Netflix special started pretty good and then it became very interesting. Robots!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Good shit, TT.

That room, tho. Jesus.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Comedy Central doing a roast of alec Baldwin on September 15th
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:03 am Good shit, TT.

That room, tho. Jesus.
how so? Normal room for me
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ceiling looked super low.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:18 am

That room, tho. Jesus.
Having two TVs behind you... Seems super distracting. You did great in that setting.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 am Whitney Cummings' new Netflix special started pretty good and then it became very interesting. Robots!
I listened to her discuss the special and her sex robot research on Rogan's podcast prior to watching the special. It made the special so much better having all her background info and stories about her research before watching.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am Ceiling looked super low.
I laughed harder than I should have.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 am Comedy Central doing a roast of alec Baldwin on September 15th
The former Spike network did one a couple years ago. "One Night Only with Alec Baldwin".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't see Baldwin taking a legitimately hard roast very well.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Roasts suck. There I said it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am

That room, tho. Jesus.
Having two TVs behind you... Seems super distracting. You did great in that setting.
thanks. it feels like I'm still rushing delivery and went one for 3 on new jokes I tried
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:53 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am

That room, tho. Jesus.
thanks. it feels like I'm still rushing delivery and went one for 3 on new jokes I tried
It's early days - this is what comedians are supposed to do.

I find your timing and delivery to be really strong.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:52 am I don't see Baldwin taking a legitimately hard roast very well.
One of the writers mentioned afterward his favorite joke was one where he saw Baldwin's reaction give away that he was legitimately angry, but trying to hide it. It was a pretty soft roast overall, delivered by friends and family members.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm Roasts suck. There I said it.
Yeaaahhhhh, I'm going to have to disagree with you there...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dave Chapelle is now a hero to the right.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Blake Griffin really likes the comedy scene and his working his craft
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... oesnt-care
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That reminds me... My hot take on Chappelle's special didn't post for some reason, and I forgot to repost.

I strongly believe no topic is off limits, but if you are going to make a joke about the Newtown school shooting victims, or the Holocaust or something like that, you better craft a damned good joke. I've been persuaded by several comedians that being offended on behalf of someone is more offensive to that person or group than the actual joke. For example, a comedian (can't remember who) was talking about a show where he was heckled by a guy in a wheelchair with MS or some other debilitating chronic illness. The comedian responded before seeing the heckler, then decided fuck it, and treated the heckler the same way he would treat a heckler who wasn't visibly disabled. The jokes were brutal and despicable, and the comedian said the heckler thanked him after the show and said he had the best night. If the crowd defended the heckler or were offended on his behalf, the crowd would have made him feel inferior and in need of defending, and that would have been more degrading.

That said, I felt Chappelle's jokes about Transgendered people were mean spirited and coming from a place not quite of hate, but definitely from willful ignorance and a desire to refuse to understand the Transgender experience. His jokes weren't making light of their experience, but were punching down and offending the core nature of who they are, and saying who they are shouldn't be normalized or accepted. That is fucked up. I still like Chappelle, but I don't like where he took that part of his act. At all. And his line about feeling Chinese shows he doesn't understand Transgender people and chooses to boast his ignorance. There are real medical reasons for people identifying as a different gender than their labelled sex, but he chooses to ignore that and joke that they choose how they identify. I'm not for "cancelling" Chappelle, that shit is stupid, but I didn't find the bit funny, and I came away thinking Chappelle is ignorant and dismissive. I think this way made worse, as some people in the audience started whooping before Chappelle even hit the punchline. He'd set up "I'm about to bash Transgendered people," pause, and the crowd whooped. That was out of hate or ignorance.

I did like a lot of the second half of the show, and loved the Q&A after the special, that was cool. And his story about getting a drink with the Transgendered woman after the show made him seem a little more tolerant.
-Pruitt