Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Best line in this article:
Conan O'Brien wrote:“(42 year-old) Jerry Seinfeld proposed to Shoshanna Lonstein on the night of her 21st birthday. Apparently he wanted to wait to make sure she wasn’t just using him to buy beer.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Any Baltimore/DC Swamper have any interest in coming to see Lewis Black in Baltimore on 11/12 @ 8 pm? I have comps available and we could use the asses in the seats.

Serious offer, if you say you’re coming, you need to post. Free tickets, donations are most appreciated.

Email me at nlichter@pfamd.org if you’re interested.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh God, this is hilarious.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Netflix pulls stand-up special by Christian comedian John Crist after allegations of sexual misconduct
Vulture reports today that Netflix has shelved plans to release a new comedy special from Christian comedian John Crist, who’s been accused by multiple women of a series of sexually inappropriate behaviors. According to a report published yesterday by Christian magazine Charisma, at least five women have reported a pattern of behavior in which Crist allegedly leveraged his fame and popularity as one of the most popular comics currently working on the lucrative Christian comedy scene in order to lure them into sexual situations and relationships, sometimes going so far as to hold out tickets to his shows and tours as bait in exchange for sexual favors.
Umm..."lucrative Christian comedy scene"? I had no idea such a thing existed...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I need Satan like I need a hole in my head!

But you know who beat Satan with holes in his hands? Jesus!

(Pause for laughter and cheering to subside)

But seriously, that had to hurt, amiright? Tip your waitstaff!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am Netflix pulls stand-up special by Christian comedian John Crist after allegations of sexual misconduct
Vulture reports today that Netflix has shelved plans to release a new comedy special from Christian comedian John Crist, who’s been accused by multiple women of a series of sexually inappropriate behaviors. According to a report published yesterday by Christian magazine Charisma, at least five women have reported a pattern of behavior in which Crist allegedly leveraged his fame and popularity as one of the most popular comics currently working on the lucrative Christian comedy scene in order to lure them into sexual situations and relationships, sometimes going so far as to hold out tickets to his shows and tours as bait in exchange for sexual favors.
It's like you haven't even followed TT's rocket up said scene...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:59 am I need Satan like I need a hole in my head!

But you know who beat Satan with holes in his hands? Jesus!

(Pause for laughter and cheering to subside)

But seriously, that had to hurt, amiright? Tip your waitstaff!
Is that from Pete Holmes' early stand up?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am Netflix pulls stand-up special by Christian comedian John Crist after allegations of sexual misconduct
It's like you haven't even followed TT's rocket up said scene...
I sold one of the filthiest catholic molestation bits ever conceived for 200 bucks, so yeah im kinda killing it in the christian comedy circuit
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Not sure switching to dealing is the best plan.

"hey man, you need some jokes?"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 pm Not sure switching to dealing is the best plan.

"hey man, you need some jokes?"
3 for 20$

cashapp $BDComedy
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

if anybody has time to listen to the audio of an 8 minute set and give feedback give me an email address
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Lewis Black did not disappoint last night. About 90 minutes of stand up. His routine is great, it will be his next Netflix special. What I noticed and really enjoyed and was amazed by was the way he uses the "spaces in between" where his body language or his silence becomes the joke. If that makes any sense.

Bummed I didn't get a chance to meet him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Friday night, I am going to see Tony Rock (Chris' younger brother) at a comedy club with a group of people for my wife's friend's birthday. The guest of honor and her husband are not people I would have guessed would put "go to comedy club" on their list of top 100 things to do.

Based on the YouTube links that came up when I googled him (titles: "The Whitest Thing Ever", "Arguing with Black Girls", and "Stoner Philosophy"), I am looking forward to the awkwardness from our group on top of the actual performance.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe Rogan is at Toyota Center this weekend. What a snowflake society we live in where Joe Rogan can book the same place the Houston Rockets play!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Exciting news to share. After the show, we're going to continue the party at Margaritaville.

Big night.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I know it's a tourist trap, but I like Margaritaville.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

#MeToo
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Are there tourists in Syracuse?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:47 am Are there tourists in Syracuse?
Destiny USA.

So, yes, unless they are lying about 26 million guests a year or the average person in the area goes 35 times a year or so.

ETA: I say this as I am simultaneously completely baffled by anyone non-local who reviews anything on Yelp up here without immediately acknowledging they were in town for work.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This may be the funniest book ever written.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Damn.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's the good shit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So...Chris D'elia...trending on Twitter...for all the wrong reasons.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oooof. Story after story after story with screenshots. I've always read about him being a spoiled brat and becoming famous easily because his dad is rich. Regardless though, I did like his stand up. Even went to a show when he came to Albuquerque where he started a small beef with the city that seemed goofy. But I'm not gunna defend this. Dude needs help.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:07 am So...Chris D'elia...trending on Twitter...for all the wrong reasons.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Dude ain't wired right. I've found him funny as a podcast guest, but I wasn't a fan of his last special. He relied so much on saying shit in a stupid voice, and it was getting really annoying.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Whitney Cummings went silent (for her) relatively yesterday on Twitter - this may be why. I assume she was friends with him from his time as a main part of her sitcom.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 am Whitney Cummings went silent (for her) relatively yesterday on Twitter - this may be why. I assume she was friends with him from his time as a main part of her sitcom.
They were friends long before the show. Pretty sure she produced her show and cast him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

IIRC this isn’t the first time Delia has been accused of being a creep/shithead. Maybe I’m confusing him with TJ Miller though.

His standup is weak in my opinion. Granted I haven’t watched them all, but I saw enough to know he wasn’t my brand.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:09 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 am Whitney Cummings went silent (for her) relatively yesterday on Twitter - this may be why. I assume she was friends with him from his time as a main part of her sitcom.
They were friends long before the show. Pretty sure she produced her show and cast him.
Yeah, that makes sense. I figured she must have given how much that show was hers. She's pretty outspoken on twitter on the progressive side of things usually, will be curious to see her reaction to this. Will Wheaton went silent and left twitter for awhile I think when he defended _______ (can't remember now) when something similar happened in his friend world.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 am
Yeah, that makes sense. I figured she must have given how much that show was hers. She's pretty outspoken on twitter on the progressive side of things usually, will be curious to see her reaction to this. Will Wheaton went silent and left twitter for awhile I think when he defended _______ (can't remember now) when something similar happened in his friend world.
Chris Hardwick is who you're thinking of. I think that was only part of his exit. It's a very toxic place and WW struggles with depression. He's written about it openly and extensively on his blog.

Also, his wife seems like about the nicest human being in existence.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Comedians might be second behind priests in terms of loving the underaged kids, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am Comedians might be second behind priests in terms of loving the underaged kids, huh?
Teachers? Scout leaders?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 am
Chris Hardwick is who you're thinking of. I think that was only part of his exit. It's a very toxic place and WW struggles with depression. He's written about it openly and extensively on his blog.

FWIW, Hardwick got screwed in that whole situation. That was a perfect example of someone using MeToo to tarnish someone's reputation. There was one disgruntled/pissed off ex girlfriend spreading a bunch of shit around. No other women came forward.

Overall, boohoo Chris Hardwick who is still very wealthy and all that. But I'll just reiterate that the whole "believe all women" thing needs to be tempered.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 am
mister d wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am Comedians might be second behind priests in terms of loving the underaged kids, huh?
Teachers? Scout leaders?
Generic wealthy white dudes?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am

FWIW, Hardwick got screwed in that whole situation. That was a perfect example of someone using MeToo to tarnish someone's reputation. There was one disgruntled/pissed off ex girlfriend spreading a bunch of shit around. No other women came forward.

Overall, boohoo Chris Hardwick who is still very wealthy and all that. But I'll just reiterate that the whole "believe all women" thing needs to be tempered.
He's still the host of a major game show on a major network, has his AMC talk show gig, a regular podcast with celebrity interviews. Honestly I think all he lost with that whole thing was some face and it allowed him to exit social media in general with a plausible excuse as to why he had to. No more self promotion, no more dealing with whiny fans. Probably a win/win/win for him overall.

And yes, I read a lot of it and Dykstra's commentary sounded like she was younger than him, insecure, and maybe a little more willing to go along with some sexual kinks in the moment that she regretted later. Obviously not excusing any shitty behavior, but I kind of liken it to what happened to Aziz Ansari. Bad situation and poor communication by insecure people turned into something it didn't need to be.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 am
Teachers? Scout leaders?
Youth sports coaches?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 am

He's still the host of a major game show on a major network, has his AMC talk show gig, a regular podcast with celebrity interviews. Honestly I think all he lost with that whole thing was some face and it allowed him to exit social media in general with a plausible excuse as to why he had to. No more self promotion, no more dealing with whiny fans. Probably a win/win/win for him overall.

And yes, I read a lot of it and Dykstra's commentary sounded like she was younger than him, insecure, and maybe a little more willing to go along with some sexual kinks in the moment that she regretted later. Obviously not excusing any shitty behavior, but I kind of liken it to what happened to Aziz Ansari. Bad situation and poor communication by insecure people turned into something it didn't need to be.
Yeah, I'm not some Hardwick mark. Listened to Nerdist and watched his Walking Dead aftershow... until I didn't.

Just noting that he was a good example (like Aziz) that there needs to be degrees and separation when it comes to that stuff. Also tempered by my wife watching and recounting the Epstein show on Netflix.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 am

Yeah, I'm not some Hardwick mark. Listened to Nerdist and watched his Walking Dead aftershow... until I didn't.

Just noting that he was a good example (like Aziz) that there needs to be degrees and separation when it comes to that stuff. Also tempered by my wife watching and recounting the Epstein show on Netflix.
For sure. I think we're kinda the same temperature here. I was never a fanboy but I enjoyed his voice and humor until I kind of didn't. IDK.

Believe women. But use common sense too.