Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d »

(Unless you believe there was mutual flirting every time and that’s just his fetish, it’s not just the power dynamic, it’s predatory. The power dynamic is just the reason it worked in instances where the only fear was professional.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm I declined because it was such a weird request and threw me.
In all likelihood, you declined actual sex.
That’s what I meant to infer by being thrown by the request. I only had to wait a week. Her long distance relationship didn’t last.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I almost wish I could get Fox News because I would watch Gutfeld bomb on live TV every night. I feel like they're going to pull this show before the end of the week just out of sheer embarrassment.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The CNN bit is funny, but not great that they already used it on Day 1 and Day 2 (along with the stupid Brian Williams bit). Honestly, who is the intended audience for this show? He's trying to come off as young and hip (with a lot of weed references to boot), but that's not who mostly watches Fox.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gotta say it takes some mighty big balls to casually joke about your mom finding weed in your sock drawer (presumably while you were on vacation in the Hamptons) while at the same time taking the other 23.5 hours of your daily programing making sure we know that the last black guy a white cop choked to death had a dime bag on him or a prior for smoking a joint.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:04 pm Gotta say it takes some mighty big balls to casually joke about your mom finding weed in your sock drawer (presumably while you were on vacation in the Hamptons) while at the same time taking the other 23.5 hours of your daily programing making sure we know that the last black guy a white cop choked to death had a dime bag on him or a prior for smoking a joint.
Exactly. It's an interesting take. I guess Fox is trying to attract more younger viewers?
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This aired 21 years ago today:

And today I learned (thanks to KEXP and JITM)...there's this site: Ultimate Cowbell Database which gives the song a cowbell score of 4.23376.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pretty good.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This was pretty good.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Movember is throwing a free virtual comedy event tomorrow. Brian Posehn is the headline. Get free tickets below.

https://s479233787.t.en25.com/e/er?utm_ ... 60&elqat=1
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Conan's last week on TBS is off to a rousing start. I'll admit to not watching much of this version of his show as I had the NBC show(s), but I've always enjoyed his stuff and watched pretty much from the very start when I was a high schooler. Longer versions of the last week, plus "Best Of" clips on his website.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So, TT is funny as fuck.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:05 am So, TT is funny as fuck.
Still waiting for his NJ dates...

Very cool you got to see him perform, I'm proud of him and would love to see him perform.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah definitely one of those "why didn't I do this sooner" moments. His Epstein joke is outstanding.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:04 am

Very cool you got to see him perform, I'm proud of him and would love to see him perform.
if you help me get booked in New Jersey I'll come to New Jersey. It was very surreal meeting a swamper through this. Giff caught me on a very good night. I was humbled that yall would come out to see me and pay money, much less feel like yall got value out of it. Thank you for showing up.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:09 am

if you help me get booked in New Jersey I'll come to New Jersey. It was very surreal meeting a swamper through this. Giff caught me on a very good night. I was humbled that yall would come out to see me and pay money, much less feel like yall got value out of it. Thank you for showing up.
Money? I just assumed you could get me comped. Never mind.

The clips you've posted are legit good, I'd totally pay to see you perform.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Count me in on seeing you anytime you're anywhere close. You've got a bright future bud.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Had zero idea Jesse Peyton was a freshman at Katy when I was a senior. Small world.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:49 am
TT2.0 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:09 am

Money? I just assumed you could get me comped. Never mind.

The clips you've posted are legit good, I'd totally pay to see you perform.
I have so much less influence than you would think. Some shows I'm scared I can't get myself comped
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did you get paid last night with a free entry into the cornhole tournament?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

D'ohhhh Jeeezzzus.

He's not wrong though. It's like what I was saying throughout the whole Trump presidency with CNN. They loved that he was president because they could run with his bullshit constantly because it brought eyeballs.

Oh, and it's always great when the mainstream media picks up shit like this trying to paint him into a corner. He does a twice a week podcast where he talks to himself and says silly shit all the time trying to entertain.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Oh look it's the guy who was on Conan saying nothing was going to change after the 2016 election.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nothing more hilarious than Johnnie railing against fascist pieces of shit while simultaneously giving passes to Boston fascist pieces of shit he personally likes like Joe Rogan, Bill Burr and Bill Simmons.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Fuck Bill Burr. CNN is far from ideal, but when one normalizes Fox News by lumping them in with MSNBC and CNN and saying they’re all one bad batch, well that’s ignoring the real difference of the scumbags at Fox (and OANN and NewsMax) from mainstream news sources.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:31 am D'ohhhh Jeeezzzus.

He's not wrong though. It's like what I was saying throughout the whole Trump presidency with CNN. They loved that he was president because they could run with his bullshit constantly because it brought eyeballs.

Oh, and it's always great when the mainstream media picks up shit like this trying to paint him into a corner. He does a twice a week podcast where he talks to himself and says silly shit all the time trying to entertain.
Yes, he is wrong. He's misrepresenting his argument by ignoring context. CNN may have loved the reality a bad actor as president meant $ to their bottom line, but Fox, OAN and NewsMax fucking fomented a seditious insurrection. They carried the water of a man who actively subverted the pillars of the United States' institutions, including its military, state department, et al.

This is like your hot take about military being rightfully up in arms about being against vaccinations. It's just...off.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You clearly don't listen to enough Bill Burr to have enough context. He rails against the media. He rails against politicians. He rants about literally everything.

Ultimately, someone was bored in aggregator land and took 1 rant about Trump and CNN and decided to get clicks.

And you clearly don't understand that ALL FEDERAL EMPLOYEES - MILITARY AND NOT - cannot be be forced to take the vaccine until it's FDA approved.

How tough is this for you?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:04 pm You clearly don't listen to enough Bill Burr to have enough context. He rails against the media. He rails against politicians. He rants about literally everything.

Ultimately, someone was bored in aggregator land and took 1 rant about Trump and CNN and decided to get clicks.

And you clearly don't understand that ALL FEDERAL EMPLOYEES - MILITARY AND NOT - cannot be be forced to take the vaccine until it's FDA approved.

How tough is this for you?
Johnnie, it's not tough at all. Bill Burr is a just another edgelording piece of shit. You know it. We all know it. Why give him some massive benefit of the doubt?

Second, you were here months ago bemoaning on behalf of your fellow soldiers who (rightly) would deny their vaccines. When all of us were wondering if it was OK to 'do what it takes to get in line' as the prerequisites to obtain the vaccine began to shrink, you were here championing your fellow soldiers who would tell the vaccinating aggressors to fuck the hell off.

The last bit I took liberty, but your message was clear..
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hard fucking eyeroll on your Burr take. Ok, man. Whatever you say.

And look at how many months it has been and the topic of forcing only the military part of federal employees to get the vaccine isn't news anymore. Almost like it wasn't news to begin with.

But please, keep carrying on with your bullshit.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:47 am Hard fucking eyeroll on your Burr take. Ok, man. Whatever you say.
Thank you. Understand he has an agenda.

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:47 am And look at how many months it has been and the topic of forcing only the military part of federal employees to get the vaccine isn't news anymore. Almost like it wasn't news to begin with.
So, you were overreacting, or, was it your blogging that made the USM to change their priorities?
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:47 am But please, keep carrying on with your bullshit.
Huh?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Aggregators be aggregating.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

But, but, but Burr is a fascist right-wing MAGA chud! It's almost as if the far-left wingnuts and media jump all over comedians for one joke without actually knowing what they believe or stand for or talk about the other 99% of the time.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 pm Campaigners are petitioning Netflix to censor a comedy special featuring ‘hate speech’

They're coming after Tom Segura! Because he mocked "retarded" by substituting with "extra 21st chromosome."
The petition urges the streaming giant to “remove the anti-down syndrome rhetoric from the show,” “take the anti-disability sketch out of the trailer for the show,” and “issue a public apology for perpetuating hate speech and stereotype to the Down Syndrome community”.
These people bitching about it are acting retarded.
Just watched his 2020 special and he addressed that and the hatred he gets from Louisianians and the Down's community very funnily.

"Ball Hog" was hilarious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched Chappelle's latest on Netflix tonight...
[+] spoiler
Turned it off about half way in. Just not very funny.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:02 pm Watched Chappelle's latest on Netflix tonight...
[+] spoiler
Turned it off about half way in. Just not very funny.
disagree hard. You turned it off before possibly one of the greatest closing stories i've ever seen, and i laughed a lot during the special. There is so much undercurrent and subtext and facial expression it was just....art.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I assume Standup is one of the hardest performance arts out there. Very few standups have decades of success. The greats end up chasing movies and tv. They just don't have the same need/desire/lack of riches that drives great writing. It is just easier to do a movie career then grind every night to get a great set built (that is then started over when you get it on TV/streaming).

The ones who never really "sell out" and keep exercising have a shot (Brian Regan, Bob Marley, etc) seem to know the craft, but are not the fame/monetary successes of great standups Eddie Murphy, etc. Even Gaffigan's stuff has fallen off since he has done more TV.

I also blame podcasting and twitter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This does not sell me on trying it ...

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not much selling necessary to check out a Dave Chappelle special. Even if you're offended he tends to come from a reasonable place with a purpose in mind from what I've seen of more recent material.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Wife watched it last night and I listened mostly. I laughed. Didn't quite understand the last story... Something about comedians. Anyway that NPR guy is just a black man scared to get fired because of Jewish people. Lame actually. The guy made jokes about Clifford the big black nigger, but space Jews is too far? Idiot. Pretty funny hardly classic.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dave Chapelle's Betrayal

It's a damn shame when a once-funny comedian starts to punch down. (See also C.K., Louis.)