Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:56 am
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 am
mister d wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am
Comedians might be second behind priests in terms of loving the underaged kids, huh?
Teachers? Scout leaders?
Generic wealthy white dudes?
It's poor dudes too. And non-white dudes. Just dudes, really.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 8181
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:40 am

And Woody Allen
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:57 pm

50s southern rock stars?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 am

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DSafetyGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:31 pm

So, Bryan Callen has a video message out for anyone who saw him do stand up in San Antonio last weekend because he almost certainly has COVID (tested "positive pending") and was fist-bumping people and taking pictures after the show.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:44 am

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:31 pm
So, Bryan Callen has a video message out for anyone who saw him do stand up in San Antonio last weekend because he almost certainly has COVID (tested "positive pending") and was fist-bumping people and taking pictures after the show.
...and Brendan Schaub too. They are both on The Fighter and There Kid Podcast which is what that D'Elia clip above is from.

This is the funniest thing they've ever done, honestly.

ETA



mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am

Will Sasso's comment is great. I was kind of hoping all these shows opening up with show that the virus wasn't spreading as much, but it turns out I wasn't being a paranoid whiny snowflake giving in to the Dems power-hungry need to control all the sheep in society. I mean, what fucking benefit to the Dems get by "controlling" us? If anything, the Dems would want the numbers to skyrocket so Trump looks worse.

Anyways, I'm curious to see how these guys change their tune after crying about Newsome closing down California and wanting to move to Texas where they can live free.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am

Will Sasso did a podcast for years with Kallen and D'Elia - "10 Minute Podcast" (which was occasionally hilarious) - so he must be really pissed off.

(Sasso is a good Canadian boy)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am

The Sybian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am
I mean, what fucking benefit to the Dems get by "controlling" us?
Isn't this just all projection? They love submitting to conservative leadership and adopting whatever stances they're told to adopt.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm

I've loved Will Sasso since his brief, hilarious cameo in Best In Show.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 pm

mister d wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am
The Sybian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am
I mean, what fucking benefit to the Dems get by "controlling" us?
Isn't this just all projection? They love submitting to conservative leadership and adopting whatever stances they're told to adopt.
This. They are constantly contradicting themselves (unwittingly) on almost every front.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am

I'm liking Andrew Schulz more and more when I see his videos.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:20 pm

I only have audio and a lot of you have heard my stuff before but my set last night at Improv is the best I've ever done. If anyone is bored and wants to listen to it send me an email address or message me on Facebook.

The audio that is me starts about the 1 minute 45 second mark
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Every issue of National Lampoon...

http://www.luckyfrogfarms.com/cook/NL/? ... 9fOZaJwxXU

Some unbelievably great stuff in there.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by sancarlos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:04 pm
Every issue of National Lampoon...

http://www.luckyfrogfarms.com/cook/NL/? ... 9fOZaJwxXU

Some unbelievably great stuff in there.
Awesome! (Dated though, in the sense that some of the political incorrectness isn't funny anymore.)

(Makes me wistful, too, because I had a great friend who loved the Lampoon as much as I did and when we were young we used to discuss every issue. He died a couple years ago and this makes me really miss him.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
bfj
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3010
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by bfj » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 pm

My cousin was dating this girl at the time of this cover. 12 year old bfj loved visiting NY to see his family.

Image
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:08 am

The Daily Show took out an ad in the New York Times today...

Image
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8212
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by tennbengal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Jim Gaffigan, man on fucking fire. His whole tweet storm last night was amazing, really:


User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Amen - that is great stuff.

Only a matter of time before Q Anon supporters are picketing his shows.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Bill Burr hosts SNL tonight.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Naturally, white women on Twitter got pissed at his monologue.



And this was great and reminiscent of the Dunkin' Donuts skit they did with Casey Affleck.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:09 pm

I don't know. It's never a good look for a rich, successful straight white guy to go on stage and rip on women and gays and their efforts for better rights and representation. I know he has a black wife (and maybe that's why he felt he could go there), but still. Also, I don't even really get the overall premise that white women somehow took over the BLM movement. It makes it look like he's just looking for an angle to complain about the protests in general without sounding racist.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by A_B » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:38 pm

If you want people to spearhead your movement you can do worse than the ones who convinced everyone breast cancer is more worth your donations than others.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Point of note: He didn't rip gays. He ripped the fact that black people got the shittiest month of the year to celebrate their history and made the joke that gay people didn't even have to go through slavery to be given a better month.

And since literally everything outside of puppies and puppy videos will invariably be complained about by someone, and giving shit to white women has been part of his schtick since forever (along with population control), right now is ripe for jokes about them.

Also, comedy is about refining and timing jokes to hit right, he's rusty. You can tell.

ETA

Imma also default to Ice Cube...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:33 pm

Yeah, "rip" wasn't the right verb to use. But clearly, he was diminishing their struggle - even if he fairly pointed out it wasn't necessarily as bad as slavery. But does it have to be? And again, I get it's a joke. I actually didn't hate the bit. But I'm an upper class, straight white dude. It's easy for me to think it's funny, but I certainly get that a lot of other people would fairly point out that he came across as a bully and/or bigot.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:20 am

Shirley wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:33 pm
Yeah, "rip" wasn't the right verb to use. But clearly, he was diminishing their struggle - even if he fairly pointed out it wasn't necessarily as bad as slavery. But does it have to be? And again, I get it's a joke. I actually didn't hate the bit. But I'm an upper class, straight white dude. It's easy for me to think it's funny, but I certainly get that a lot of other people would fairly point out that he came across as a bully and/or bigot.
I saw the clip through a headline saying something stupid like "Bill Burr insults everyone with monologue." I watched it, and was thinking "that's it? Ol' Billy boy is getting soft in quarantine." That's really tame and if White Women can't handle a joke, grow the fuck up.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
testuser2
Brandt
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by testuser2 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Do they have any type of live audience? It really sounded canned to me and that threw it off. Most of it didn't seem funny. Some of the jokes were ok like the black history month, but the lead-in to it wasn't good. The joke about cancelling everyone just sounded like a talking point for people that don't like getting called out and being cancelled. Maybe that joke hit at the VFW.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by A_B » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:39 pm

testuser2 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:35 pm
Do they have any type of live audience? It really sounded canned to me and that threw it off. Most of it didn't seem funny. Some of the jokes were ok like the black history month, but the lead-in to it wasn't good. The joke about cancelling everyone just sounded like a talking point for people that don't like getting called out and being cancelled. Maybe that joke hit at the VFW.
I think last week at least they brought people in but had to pay them because NYC's rules are that you have to be an employee to be there.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6952
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Giff » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm

We're going to see Bert on Friday in one of those drive-in concerts.
Muh.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 pm

Giff wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm
We're going to see Bert on Friday in one of those drive-in concerts.
He'll be in Santa Fe tomorrow night. But I'm not going. :(

I should've planned to go though.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Giff wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm
We're going to see Bert on Friday in one of those drive-in concerts.
I guess me opening up Improv on Sunday isn't good enough for you...do i have to get fat and go shirtfless to get you to pay attention to me?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
bfj
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3010
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by bfj » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:12 am

TT2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm
Giff wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm
We're going to see Bert on Friday in one of those drive-in concerts.
I guess me opening up Improv on Sunday isn't good enough for you...do i have to get fat and go shirtfless to get you to pay attention to me?
Or have multiple podcasts, multiple stand up specials and a show on Netflix and a show coming out on TBS. Or learn how to spell shirtless.

Or fuck dogs and smell like shit.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6952
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Giff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am

TT2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm
Giff wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm
We're going to see Bert on Friday in one of those drive-in concerts.
I guess me opening up Improv on Sunday isn't good enough for you...do i have to get fat and go shirtfless to get you to pay attention to me?
Well, tbh, this was not my choice. We're headed to the Hill Country after the show and originally expected to leave early Friday afternoon. But my niece bought these tickets thinking we would go, so I don't want her to be out.

I will see you soon though!
Muh.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:18 pm

last night was my first 20 min set and first paid road feature...my part comes on at the 7 min mark if any of you want to watch. any feed back welcome

Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
bfj
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3010
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by bfj » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Giff wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am
TT2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm
Giff wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm
We're going to see Bert on Friday in one of those drive-in concerts.
I guess me opening up Improv on Sunday isn't good enough for you...do i have to get fat and go shirtfless to get you to pay attention to me?
Well, tbh, this was not my choice. We're headed to the Hill Country after the show and originally expected to leave early Friday afternoon. But my niece bought these tickets thinking we would go, so I don't want her to be out.

I will see you soon though!
How was Bert?
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:48 pm

TT2.0 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:18 pm
last night was my first 20 min set and first paid road feature...my part comes on at the 7 min mark if any of you want to watch. any feed back welcome

Great job, man! It's so cool to see you building your career at this.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by wlu_lax6 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:08 am

That was great. Like how you were able to setup the strong one-liners. Have not watched your videos since early on. Clearly making big strides and way more comfortable up there and engaging the crowd.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:30 am

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:08 am
That was great. Like how you were able to setup the strong one-liners. Have not watched your videos since early on. Clearly making big strides and way more comfortable up there and engaging the crowd.
My only suggestion is to work on not turning your back on the audience so much. Work on memorizing your setlist or maybe write it on a scrap of paper you can hold in your hand just in case. I feel like you take folks out of it a bit every time they see you turn around and read from your phone.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm

First time I've watched your stand-up (not on Facebook).

One thing I would recommend is trying to build a couple transitions to help you move from topic to topic. It will help your set flow and also reduce your need to rely on a set list. While I'm guessing you were concerned about accidentally skipping parts of your bit to make sure you went the full 20 minutes, the addition of some transitions should also help make the entire set more like one long bit as opposed to several small bits tied together.

Otherwise, you're doing really well. It's often hard for any comic to win over a small crowd unfamiliar with them, and the content of your material can make that even more difficult, but you did a good job at making sure they stayed with you, interacting with them without doing crowd work.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by rass » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:12 pm

I laughed. DSG’s second paragraph states it better than I can. I thought you seemed comfortable up there and seemed to connect with the crowd pretty well. And you pull off self-deprecating without being pitiful.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

Post Reply