Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:30 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm
First time I've watched your stand-up (not on Facebook).

One thing I would recommend is trying to build a couple transitions to help you move from topic to topic. It will help your set flow and also reduce your need to rely on a set list. While I'm guessing you were concerned about accidentally skipping parts of your bit to make sure you went the full 20 minutes, the addition of some transitions should also help make the entire set more like one long bit as opposed to several small bits tied together.

Otherwise, you're doing really well. It's often hard for any comic to win over a small crowd unfamiliar with them, and the content of your material can make that even more difficult, but you did a good job at making sure they stayed with you, interacting with them without doing crowd work.
you are right 100 percent. When i run 10 minute sets the transistions are seamless because i'm used to the bits...doing a 20 for the first time meant a new set order for the first time in awhile, and 5 new bits to mix in. it was a trial by fire set....by set 3 that weekend i was going note free, but i know the transition quality and set checks are bad here. i'm open to review on which joeks to keep or cut if anyone has thoughts or favorites..a lot is new and i don't have opinions on it yet
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DSafetyGuy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am

TT2.0 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:30 pm
When i run 10 minute sets the transistions are seamless because i'm used to the bits...doing a 20 for the first time meant a new set order for the first time in awhile, and 5 new bits to mix in. it was a trial by fire set....by set 3 that weekend i was going note free, but i know the transition quality and set checks are bad here. i'm open to review on which joeks to keep or cut if anyone has thoughts or favorites..a lot is new and i don't have opinions on it yet
As far as which jokes to keep/cut, I think you should rely on the feedback you get from your live audiences more than from Swampers. Getting a complete stranger to laugh is a lot harder than someone who knows you. I know there aren't a ton of opportunities to perform in front of crowds, but they'll let you know what works and what doesn't (and what maybe just needs to be re-worked or tweaked as you keep using it).

One other thing to take from doing these 20 minute sets is that you can pick different bits and move them around to see how they work when doing shorter sets. You can see differences in audience reaction based on the sequencing as to what works well, if it's the material on its own, how it fits into your set, and so on. Eventually, you can use this to build your best possible 10, then, as you keep creating a developing material, a best possible 20, a couple different strong 10's, and on and on.

Keep working at it. You're doing really well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 am

That was really good, man! I was really sucked in when you're telling the story-based stuff with jokes intermixed. That seems like your strong suit. I fucking laughed at "That's a meth body!" And "All Dicks Matter." And taking a sip of your drink from the McDonald's cup was really good.

And outside of the back turning and memorizing your set a bit better, I'd keep my hands out of my pockets too. That draws me away from the stories you're telling for some reason. Maybe that's a thing with me, so I could be wrong.

Keep this up. You're doing such a great job. I look forward to watching your next set.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:50 am

Johnnie wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 am
That was really good, man! I was really sucked in when you're telling the story-based stuff with jokes intermixed. That seems like your strong suit. I fucking laughed at "That's a meth body!" And "All Dicks Matter." And taking a sip of your drink from the McDonald's cup was really good.

And outside of the back turning and memorizing your set a bit better, I'd keep my hands out of my pockets too. That draws me away from the stories you're telling for some reason. Maybe that's a thing with me, so I could be wrong.

Keep this up. You're doing such a great job. I look forward to watching your next set.
Agreed on the storytelling. I've noticed that so many of the really big comics are really just funny storytellers. That works better than a series of jokes.

Also agree on the hands. When you have your hand(s) in your pocket, you look nervous, which then makes the audience uneasy. Be confident and own it out there even if inside you're nervous as shit!
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:52 am

Audiences are like bears, do whatever you can to make yourself seem even larger.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 8181
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am

Finger guns the whole time
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
BSF21
The Dude
Posts: 5025
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by BSF21 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am

The improvement you've shown in a very short time is really remarkable Ben. Keep at it. I can't wait to see it come together more. Your stage presence is night and day from the first vids you posted.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am

Ryan wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am
Finger ... the ...hole ...
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am
Ryan wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am
Finger ... the ...hole ...
best advice.


seriously im so fucking Ricky bobby..
I don't know what the fuck to do with my hands
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DSafetyGuy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:08 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:52 am
Audiences are like bears, do whatever you can to make yourself seem even larger.
Stand Up Safety Tip #8.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by P.D.X. » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:11 pm

Someone was prepped for Lower Macungie Township.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:24 pm

TT2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 pm
mister d wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am
Ryan wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am
Finger ... the ...hole ...
best advice.


seriously im so fucking Ricky bobby..
I don't know what the fuck to do with my hands
I do a lot of product demos for work, which is not the same thing at all, but it IS sort of being on (virtual) stage with folks watching you talk. I find that I talk with my hands then about 50x more than I do in regular conversations. Not sure it makes my presentations any better, but it feels like I'm engaged and doing something.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by A_B » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:28 pm

I think most presentationists encourage hand moving.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:36 pm

Back when I used to do them in person in a room with people, I also walked around a lot. Again, I think that helps keep the audience's attention.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Shirley wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:50 am
Johnnie wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 am
That was really good, man! I was really sucked in when you're telling the story-based stuff with jokes intermixed. That seems like your strong suit. I fucking laughed at "That's a meth body!" And "All Dicks Matter." And taking a sip of your drink from the McDonald's cup was really good.

And outside of the back turning and memorizing your set a bit better, I'd keep my hands out of my pockets too. That draws me away from the stories you're telling for some reason. Maybe that's a thing with me, so I could be wrong.

Keep this up. You're doing such a great job. I look forward to watching your next set.
Agreed on the storytelling. I've noticed that so many of the really big comics are really just funny storytellers. That works better than a series of jokes.

This.

Set 'em up, knock 'em down... It's hard to keep an audience's attention with that.

Guys like Andrew Shulz are so good at crowd work, they can slip in rapid fire stuff for the bulk of his shows... But he can also do a great story arc run. His bit on going to a National Park is fucking amazing.

But, yeah, Mike Brbiglia is a great example of a guy that is almost more of a story-teller than a comedian.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Wow after a more than 20 year hiatus Frank Rizzo and Sol Rosenberg are back.

Yup just learned the Jerky Boys released a new album.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:33 pm

i rarely catch video but my best friend caught a cell phone video of me opening for chad prather this past weekend. it was fun

Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
BSF21
The Dude
Posts: 5025
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by BSF21 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 pm

God damn your delivery is getting better and better my man. Keep it rollling.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:01 pm

BSF21 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 pm
God damn your delivery is getting better and better my man. Keep it rollling.
This, and you are looking really healthy! Great job, Ben. I love the mix of storytelling, one-liners and Jeselnik style twists. Keep posting when you do get videos.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Can't decide if my favorite part is Ben getting so comfortable and good at his delivery or that the camera man felt he needed to turn his phone to capture all of Ben.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
BSF21
The Dude
Posts: 5025
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by BSF21 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Shirley wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 pm
Can't decide if my favorite part is Ben getting so comfortable and good at his delivery or that the camera man felt he needed to turn his phone to capture all of Ben.
He's 20% funnier in portrait. Common knowledge.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Pruitt » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:12 pm

That was really good!

He's got the timing down.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
L-Jam3
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by L-Jam3 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:01 pm

That was like the third or fourth time I heard you tell that one, yet the "drive slowly past the abortion clinic" joke always gets me.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 pm

thank you guys for watching. i really appreciate the feedback. I've been working a lot on the comfort issues up there, and its getting easier. I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:00 pm

I noticed that you started with a hand in your pocket, looking a bit nervous, but it quickly came out and you started using it, walking around and owning the stage. Very nice. You have your pauses timed out nicely as well. Keeping working it and keep writing new stuff.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
The Dude
Posts: 5251
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnny Carwash » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 pm

TT2.0 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 pm
I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Random thought - have you considered opening with it? That strikes me as a good icebreaker that makes it clear what your style is going to be like. Just my non-professional view though.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 am

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 pm
TT2.0 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 pm
I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Random thought - have you considered opening with it? That strikes me as a good icebreaker that makes it clear what your style is going to be like. Just my non-professional view though.
Don't stop telling that joke! I think it's great. Like L-Jam said, I've heard it several times and I still laugh. It's clever, insulting, a little gross when it unravels in your mind... it's perfect. I think it's too clever to open with, I think you need to get an audience into your mindset and style so they are with you before you hit them with that one.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:59 am

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 am
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 pm
TT2.0 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 pm
I have this love hate relationship with my closer...its just a joke i can't seem to stop telling yet.
Random thought - have you considered opening with it? That strikes me as a good icebreaker that makes it clear what your style is going to be like. Just my non-professional view though.
Don't stop telling that joke! I think it's great. Like L-Jam said, I've heard it several times and I still laugh. It's clever, insulting, a little gross when it unravels in your mind... it's perfect. I think it's too clever to open with, I think you need to get an audience into your mindset and style so they are with you before you hit them with that one.
I opened with it twice and it's too weird an energy. there is no place to go after it.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am

I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am

Johnnie wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am
I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

Had not heard of him before 2 days ago. He just ended up showing up on Facebook and I went down a rabbit hole. He was just working the crowd in most of them and I was impressed. He was quick. What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:59 am

I listen to the Brilliant Idiots podcast. It's him and Charlamagne The God. It's pretty good. That's how I knew of him. So his stand up stuff was always in the YouTube suggestion algorithm for me.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
BSF21
The Dude
Posts: 5025
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by BSF21 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:41 am

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am
Johnnie wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am
I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
This is a double edged sword for me. Some comics its fucking annoying. But Chapelle and Ron Funches are 2 specifically I can think of that just make me double over when they crack themselves up. I can't imagine Chapelle's act without him smacking the mic on his knee because he knows he's so fucking funny.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:46 am

BSF21 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:41 am
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am
Johnnie wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am
I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
This is a double edged sword for me. Some comics its fucking annoying. But Chapelle and Ron Funches are 2 specifically I can think of that just make me double over when they crack themselves up. I can't imagine Chapelle's act without him smacking the mic on his knee because he knows he's so fucking funny.
Watched the embedded video. Decent writing but feel like a big step back from what I saw with him on stage. Would not go out of my way to watch him on netflix but if he was in town would consider seeing him live.

One of the things I liked was he could joke about sterotypes and people in the crowd and it did not feel insulting or cheap. Just everyone enjoying themselves even the person on in the audience he was picking on.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:50 pm

Just posted a couple hours ago.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Reaper
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Reaper » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 pm

Watching the Patrice O'Neal retrospective on Comedy Central, Killing is Easy. I feel like I don't know any comedians from the past 10 years, and he's one of the last ones I really remember watching.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by HaulCitgo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 am

Dude is was hilarious. Boston boy too.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am
Johnnie wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am
I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

Had not heard of him before 2 days ago. He just ended up showing up on Facebook and I went down a rabbit hole. He was just working the crowd in most of them and I was impressed. He was quick. What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
I mentioned him up thread.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:16 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:46 am
BSF21 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:41 am
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am
Johnnie wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 am
I was wondering why I hadn't seen Andrew Schulz popping up on my YouTube feed. He took his act to Netflix. Good for him.

What I found great was how pleased he was with himself. He is just sitting on stage and giggling at something she just said or was thinking.
This is a double edged sword for me. Some comics its fucking annoying. But Chapelle and Ron Funches are 2 specifically I can think of that just make me double over when they crack themselves up. I can't imagine Chapelle's act without him smacking the mic on his knee because he knows he's so fucking funny.
Watched the embedded video. Decent writing but feel like a big step back from what I saw with him on stage. Would not go out of my way to watch him on netflix but if he was in town would consider seeing him live.

One of the things I liked was he could joke about sterotypes and people in the crowd and it did not feel insulting or cheap. Just everyone enjoying themselves even the person on in the audience he was picking on.
Yeah, I love his stand up, not a huge fan of where he is taking his podcast--at least the one with the Indian dude. Definitely didn't like the Netflix special... Only watched a few minutes.

Like I said, his crowd work is unparalleled.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:55 am

Reaper wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 pm
Watching the Patrice O'Neal retrospective on Comedy Central, Killing is Easy. I feel like I don't know any comedians from the past 10 years, and he's one of the last ones I really remember watching.
For everyone:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by TT2.0 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:46 am

thanks bro. great watch
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Post Reply