Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to hire Bill Burr to stand on an empty stage and read off the names of Grammy winners for the categories nobody cares about? This had to be a fan who proposed it as a joke and never thought the show would approve. I just enjoyed imagining Burr's inner dialog making fun of the winners' responses and making fun of himself for butcher every name and shitting on the music clips. I mean, I love Burr, but you have to 100% expect him to trash the event, make inappropriate jokes and do everything awards show producers don't want him to do. On the flip side, why would he agree to this? He couldn't make jokes, and he knows he sucks at reading.


An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pm

"And the Grammy good to ZIP..........

.....


RUHCROOOTAHHHH!"

That super cut was kinda painful to watch, but man was that hilariously awkward.

Edit

Oh my God. Twitter is fucking insane.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 pm

The haters are hilarious! What kind of a White supremacist marries and procreates with a black woman? Isn't the entire point of White Supremacy to perpetuate your perceived racial superiority? Morons.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DSafetyGuy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:15 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 pm
The haters are hilarious! What kind of a White supremacist marries and procreates with a black woman? Isn't the entire point of White Supremacy to perpetuate your perceived racial superiority? Morons.
All I could think is, "Racists marry a person from another race so they can make sure they bully one person of that race?"
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by sancarlos » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:15 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 pm
The haters are hilarious! What kind of a White supremacist marries and procreates with a black woman? Isn't the entire point of White Supremacy to perpetuate your perceived racial superiority? Morons.
All I could think is, "Racists marry a person from another race so they can make sure they bully one person of that race?"
I think that argument works for old white guys who get mail-order brides from the Far East.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:15 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 pm
The haters are hilarious! What kind of a White supremacist marries and procreates with a black woman? Isn't the entire point of White Supremacy to perpetuate your perceived racial superiority? Morons.
All I could think is, "Racists marry a person from another race so they can make sure they bully one person of that race?"
I think that argument works for old white guys who get mail-order brides from the Far East.
Heh, I’ve seen that one. She left him the day she got her citizenship.

And I specified the procreation part. It’s one thing to fuck an inferior race, but to create your children and raise them together is a different thing. The only thing I heard Burr say is woke feminists are going to bitch about him announcing Latin names. And they did exactly what he said they would do. How is that something they can bitch about canceling him over? It was just as much a shot at the Grammy’s hiring him as it was at them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 am

I was checking up on this today because I wanted to see if the Twitter Mob was still acting fucking dumb.

This was from a couple days ago:



Look, if you're taking a white dude named Clayburn Griffin seriously, you already have problems.

(What sucks is the dude seems to be an avid board gamer too.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by rass » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 am

Johnnie wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 am
(What sucks is the dude seems to be an avid board gamer too.)
baddies.jpg
baddies.jpg (30.01 KiB) Viewed 274 times
(I kid)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: KOREA, BITCH!

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:52 pm

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 pm

Fuck Louis CK. Not supporting sex offenders.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:21 pm

I’m with him (Brian).
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 6256
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 am

mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:21 pm
I’m with him (Brian).
I'm with him (Mr. D).
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6952
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Giff » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 am

I'm with her (Sara Watkins).
Muh.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by sancarlos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:34 am

I’m sort of surprised he’s back doing shows and rationalizing his actions in a comedy bit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:40 am

You know how sometimes when you see articles posted to social media about peoples’ struggles to be treated with respect and dignity, there are invariably some people who click the 😂 laughing emoji?

Those are the people who are laughing with Louis CK.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by DSafetyGuy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am

sancarlos wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:34 am
I’m sort of surprised he’s back doing shows and rationalizing his actions in a comedy bit.
I am not at all surprised. Turning it into a bit is an effort to normalize what he did.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:09 pm

I watched the video above. I'm not sure if what Louis CX did is beyond forgiveness or not. I think maybe not ... but it does seem like he missed (or didn't address) the main point of what he did wrong. It's not just that he asked women to watch him jerk off. That's kinda creepy, but not necessarily bad, if you ask the right people at appropriate times. The main problem was that he asked women who worked for him and/or he had a direct power relationship where it made it hard for them to say no.

(unless I'm forgetting something worse)
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8904
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Dude.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by A_B » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Maybe I just lack confidence, but I don't think I could summon up whatever it takes to ask anyone that.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Practice in the mirror.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm

I'm going for as many bad takes as I can with Sabo's avatar.

So, was the "dude" directed at the idea of forgiveness, my description of his misdeeds, or am I forgetting something worse that he did?

(for the record, the thought of asking someone to watch me masturbate is beyond repellent to me. I wouldn't ask my wife to do that. But I understand that people do a lot of things that I don't get and that doesn't make them inherently wrong.)
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm

I don’t get eating olives but I wouldn’t think it was wrong for a famous comedian to ask a 24 year old female comedian who works for him or know he can affect her career if she’d like an olive.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 pm

I guess I need an explainer on the Dude comment as well.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 6256
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm
I don’t get eating olives but I wouldn’t think it was wrong for a famous comedian to ask a 24 year old female comedian who works for him or know he can affect her career if she’d like an olive.
Didn't Shirley say that part *was* wrong?
The main problem was that he asked women who worked for him and/or he had a direct power relationship where it made it hard for them to say no.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Shirley wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:09 pm
I watched the video above. I'm not sure if what Louis CX did is beyond forgiveness or not. I think maybe not ... but it does seem like he missed (or didn't address) the main point of what he did wrong. It's not just that he asked women to watch him jerk off. That's kinda creepy, but not necessarily bad, if you ask the right people at appropriate times. The main problem was that he asked women who worked for him and/or he had a direct power relationship where it made it hard for them to say no.

(unless I'm forgetting something worse)
Yeah, it's the power dynamic. If he was asking random women on the street and they consented, then whatevs.

Women who work for him aren't able to give any meaningful consent. In a way it's the same thing as the DeShaun Watson thing. When you pay a massage therapist, that person is working for you.

If he was paying a prostitute or sex worker to touch him or even if he picks up a woman in a club or something and they've worked out that his kink is to turn it around on them, then that's no one's business. He apparently gets off on abusing women who are in a power dynamic where they're made to feel uncomfortable and abused and that's fucking gross. He should be arrested and thrown in jail for a few years.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm
I don’t get eating olives but I wouldn’t think it was wrong for a famous comedian to ask a 24 year old female comedian who works for him or know he can affect her career if she’d like an olive.
Didn't Shirley say that part *was* wrong?
The main problem was that he asked women who worked for him and/or he had a direct power relationship where it made it hard for them to say no.
But parsing it is like explaining rape is wrong by narrating what sex is then saying "but where he fudged up was not getting consent", isn't it?
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:01 pm

i guess this turf is so well trod, i didn't think there was much left to discuss

he asked people that he had some form of power over to watch him jerk off. no brainer fucked up = canceled until he can fully apologize for that aspect of it*... not just that he has a kink... who gaf about a kink.

* in a sincere way, and put some time in living with it and exhibiting the lesson learned
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:37 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm
I don’t get eating olives but I wouldn’t think it was wrong for a famous comedian to ask a 24 year old female comedian who works for him or know he can affect her career if she’d like an olive.
Didn't Shirley say that part *was* wrong?
The main problem was that he asked women who worked for him and/or he had a direct power relationship where it made it hard for them to say no.
But parsing it is like explaining rape is wrong by narrating what sex is then saying "but where he fudged up was not getting consent", isn't it?
No, it's not.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Shut the fuck up, Sabo.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by The Sybian » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm

A_B wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:03 pm
Maybe I just lack confidence, but I don't think I could summon up whatever it takes to ask anyone that.
I think what you lack is a perversion to want to jerk off in front of women. Unless you do want that, then it’s a lack of confidence and you should sack up and ask random women. It’s a weird thing to ask, especially in the workplace.

First week of law school I was at a bar with a group of classmates. A female classmate invited me back to her place to watch each other masturbate. She said no touching each other because she was in a committed relationship. I declined because it was such a weird request and threw me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm

That's quite the line to draw.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8904
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:33 pm

Shirley wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm
I'm going for as many bad takes as I can with Sabo's avatar.

So, was the "dude" directed at the idea of forgiveness, my description of his misdeeds, or am I forgetting something worse that he did?

(for the record, the thought of asking someone to watch me masturbate is beyond repellent to me. I wouldn't ask my wife to do that. But I understand that people do a lot of things that I don't get and that doesn't make them inherently wrong.)
Nonlinear said it above, it was the power dynamic that was the problem. It also doesn't help that he doesn't seem all that great about it after.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by sancarlos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:33 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm
A female classmate invited me back to her place to watch each other masturbate. She said no touching each other because she was in a committed relationship.
I'm sure her boyfriend appreciated that she set boundaries
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8904
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:35 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm
That's quite the line to draw.
Image
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm
I declined because it was such a weird request and threw me.
In all likelihood, you declined actual sex.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm

But I bet he didn't miss out on masturbation.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Shirley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:33 pm
Shirley wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm
I'm going for as many bad takes as I can with Sabo's avatar.

So, was the "dude" directed at the idea of forgiveness, my description of his misdeeds, or am I forgetting something worse that he did?

(for the record, the thought of asking someone to watch me masturbate is beyond repellent to me. I wouldn't ask my wife to do that. But I understand that people do a lot of things that I don't get and that doesn't make them inherently wrong.)
Nonlinear said it above, it was the power dynamic that was the problem. It also doesn't help that he doesn't seem all that great about it after.
Right, and I said it before that.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by rass » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm
But I bet he didn't miss out on masturbation.
@AB any number of Billy Joel songs you can go with here...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by sancarlos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:32 pm

rass wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm
But I bet he didn't miss out on masturbation.
@AB any number of Billy Joel songs you can go with here...
The Sybian wrote:HackensACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by A_B » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:48 pm

rass wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm
But I bet he didn't miss out on masturbation.
@AB any number of Billy Joel songs you can go with here...
Wait...it was sybian’s sister?
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

Post Reply