Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Giff wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm
I can't imagine clapping for anything for 10 minutes.
It's France - if they think it's anti-American, they'll clap for hours.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11318
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 am

Pruitt wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:19 am
A year ago or so, I unintentionally caused an uproar when I diparaged Michael Keaton's skills as a comic actor.

And while my original opinion holds firm, I am shocked that he didn't get the Oscar for his performance in Birdman. That was a fantastic movie and both Keaton and Edward Norton were incredible. As I'll never see the Stephen Hawking movie, this will remain a mystery, but he was just great.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11318
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am

certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11318
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 am

certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4384
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Giff » Fri May 18, 2018 10:53 am

That's either going to be the best thing or worst thing ever.
Muh.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Movies

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am

Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

And....really? That's what people were so hyped about? I mean....it looked pretty cool, but we couldn't follow the plot at all. Made no sense.

Guess I can go back to ignoring comic book movies.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am
Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

And....really? That's what people were so hyped about? I mean....it looked pretty cool, but we couldn't follow the plot at all. Made no sense.

Guess I can go back to ignoring comic book movies.
But the Zeitgeist! Or as the kids say "what about F.O.M.O."?
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 8736
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Movies

Post by sancarlos » Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am
Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

And....really? That's what people were so hyped about? I mean....it looked pretty cool, but we couldn't follow the plot at all. Made no sense.

Guess I can go back to ignoring comic book movies.
But the Zeitgeist! Or as the kids say "what about F.O.M.O."?
I had to look up FOMO, but I think you’ve hit on it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 pm
Pruitt wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am
Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

And....really? That's what people were so hyped about? I mean....it looked pretty cool, but we couldn't follow the plot at all. Made no sense.

Guess I can go back to ignoring comic book movies.
But the Zeitgeist! Or as the kids say "what about F.O.M.O."?
I had to look up FOMO, but I think you’ve hit on it.
Animation writers are all supposed to be "Star Wars" and Super Hero freaks.

I may be in the wrong field.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3282
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Movies

Post by BSF21 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am

Saw Infinity War last night. They did a pretty nice job of not making that feel like a 2.75 hour slough. Well paced throughout, the cinematography was poor IMO. Lot's of fast jump cuts to make the action feel fast, which it did, to the point where it was almost nauseating. Good story line though, very Empire Strikes Back. Interested to see where they take that one.
[+] spoiler
I went 1/2.5 for the characters they were "killing off" which I'm not sure if I'm right about because Time Stone, eh.
I thought Black Panther was a great origin framework. The action was so so, but the actors were fantastic. I loved the sister who was doing all the tech and
[+] spoiler
they way she showed up in IW and just boggled Bruce Banner was awesome.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 5606
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Movies

Post by govmentchedda » Tue May 29, 2018 11:36 am

Agreed re: BP acting. Additionally, seeing a nearly all black cast, with very prominent roles for women, is a HUGE part of it's draw. That, and a beautiful, hidden, technologically advanced Africa, as contrasted with what is so often what we see.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13664
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Thu May 31, 2018 2:16 pm



(The real Top Gun naval air training center is at Fallon Naval Air Station in northern Nevada, about an hour east of Reno. It's a shitty, shitty small town and I demand that the Top Gun remake be set there.)
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3522
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu May 31, 2018 2:28 pm

A very good friend from high school was a top gun instructor for awhile. He didn't have a lot of nice things to say about Fallon.

(he lives in Va. Beach now.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:23 pm

rass wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 am
Pruitt wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 am
Dying to see Coco.
ha!
A perfect movie. And I wish I'd seen it in the theatre, it is unbelievably beautiful.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:40 pm
brian wrote:After you see The Disaster Artist give us (me) your opinion on if you should see The Room first or if you think it matters. I've been wanting to see The Room anyway, but want to get the order right.
From being halfway through the book, I think that having seen The Room is making it much more enjoyable.

My brother saw The Disaster Artist and loved it, but he said that he wished he'd seen The Room first. He said that his friends who'd seen it beforehand were laughing so hard they were having trouble breathing.

Bottom line - don;t deprive yourself unnecessarily. Next time you are tipsy or buzzed....
Finally saw it on Netflix, and it's good, but not great.

James Franco is excellent, but the character he's playing is a cipher. And his brother kinda sucks. But not a bad movie. Much better to watch The Room or even to just read the book.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:21 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm
We went to see Lady Bird yesterday. Thought it was great.

I'm always amazed at actors that can totally lose their normal speaking voice. Saoirse Ronan, when you hear her in interviews, has a thick Irish lilt. But in the movie, she totally sounds like a high school girl from Sacramento.
Just watched Lady Bird and holy moses is Saoirse Ronan amazing in that movie. Same with Laurie Metcalfe. Just a great, great movie.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4384
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Giff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm

We watched Game Night before our vacation and thought it was hilarious.
Muh.

User avatar
Shirley
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4834
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Shirley » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:14 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:21 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm
We went to see Lady Bird yesterday. Thought it was great.

I'm always amazed at actors that can totally lose their normal speaking voice. Saoirse Ronan, when you hear her in interviews, has a thick Irish lilt. But in the movie, she totally sounds like a high school girl from Sacramento.
Just watched Lady Bird and holy moses is Saoirse Ronan amazing in that movie. Same with Laurie Metcalfe. Just a great, great movie.
I just watched it on a plane on Friday, and I agree. Great movie. It was odd in that it had such a simple story. I actually wondered how it got made. The pitch had to have been boring. But it was great.

I then watched This is the End and I thoroughly enjoyed that as well, for entirely different reasons.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13664
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:31 am

Just took a hydrocodone and was going to go to bed but Road House is on so I’m going nowhere.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Movies

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm

We watched 'Icarus' on Netflix last night. Won the oscar last year for best documentary. About the Russian doping scandal. Pretty amazing stuff. Worth checking out.

User avatar
Joe K
Donny
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Joe K » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:13 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm
We watched 'Icarus' on Netflix last night. Won the oscar last year for best documentary. About the Russian doping scandal. Pretty amazing stuff. Worth checking out.
I watched it earlier this week. I didn’t think it was the best made documentary but the subject matter is fascinating. What Russia did at Sochi was pretty damn brazen. Every country that is a sports power has major doping issues but swapping out urine samples mid-competition is quite the scheme.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Movies

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Joe K wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:13 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm
We watched 'Icarus' on Netflix last night. Won the oscar last year for best documentary. About the Russian doping scandal. Pretty amazing stuff. Worth checking out.
I watched it earlier this week. I didn’t think it was the best made documentary but the subject matter is fascinating. What Russia did at Sochi was pretty damn brazen. Every country that is a sports power has major doping issues but swapping out urine samples mid-competition is quite the scheme.
When the Doctor talked about giving the 'tamper-proof' testing vials to the KGB guy, and him coming back 30 minutes later with it opened was pretty amazing...

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Movies

Post by bfj » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Really liked Incredibles 2.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Johnnie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 am

Watched Face/Off. I had never seen it before. Man, it was terrible in an awesome way.

And I completely forgot Dominique Swain existed. She was hot as hell in that movie.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:08 am

Johnnie wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 am
Watched Face/Off. I had never seen it before. Man, it was terrible in an awesome way.
Still a touchstone for glorious stupidity! Ever see Commando with Arnold? A classic of the genre.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 5606
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Movies

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:58 am

I remember thinking the same about Face/Off when I watched it, and I'm neither a John Travolta nor Nicolas Cage fan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10637
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Movies

Post by rass » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3282
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Movies

Post by BSF21 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am

bfj wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Really liked Incredibles 2.
Me too. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Could have done without the strobe scene. I'm not an epileptic to my knowledge but that shit gave me a headache.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

User avatar
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:10 am

Re: Movies

Post by Moreta » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am

Incredibles 2 was highly enjoyable. I wish I had shown up late and missed the animated short that preceded it though. Man, Pixar knows how to punch me right in the gut.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:20 am

Oh, that sounds deliciously awful. I wIll see it the first chance I get.
He is committed, certainly, from the movie’s opening scene, in which a regal Gotti, narrating from beyond the grave, turns from a lush city vista directly to the camera and snarls, “Let me tell you something. New York City is the greatest fuckin’ city in the world,” treating the fourth wall as contemptuously as this movie treats the other three.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am

BSF21 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am
bfj wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Really liked Incredibles 2.
Me too. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Could have done without the strobe scene. I'm not an epileptic to my knowledge but that shit gave me a headache.
Thanks for the warning - I will definitely see the movie (I have seen all of Pixar's films other than Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, but a strobe light scene will give me a migraine for days.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3282
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Movies

Post by BSF21 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am

Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
BSF21 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am
bfj wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Really liked Incredibles 2.
Me too. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Could have done without the strobe scene. I'm not an epileptic to my knowledge but that shit gave me a headache.
Thanks for the warning - I will definitely see the movie (I have seen all of Pixar's films other than Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, but a strobe light scene will give me a migraine for days.
They had warnings up at the theater (which apparently are causing backlash for all the "snowflakes" that need epileptic warnings) I hate people sometimes.

It's only about 30-45 seconds long but it was offputting. Rest of the movie is great!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Movies

Post by bfj » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am

Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
BSF21 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am
bfj wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Really liked Incredibles 2.
Me too. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Could have done without the strobe scene. I'm not an epileptic to my knowledge but that shit gave me a headache.
Thanks for the warning - I will definitely see the movie (I have seen all of Pixar's films other than Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, but a strobe light scene will give me a migraine for days.
The strobe effect happens a couple of times in the movie and does last about 30-45 seconds each time, like BSF said. I really liked The Good Dinosaur, give it a shot. Cars 2 was garbage and I haven't seen Cars 3.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Movies

Post by bfj » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 am

Moreta wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am
Incredibles 2 was highly enjoyable. I wish I had shown up late and missed the animated short that preceded it though. Man, Pixar knows how to punch me right in the gut.
That was a tough one, no doubt. It was called Bao.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5176
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am

Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Cars 2

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
Taste:
Grapefruit pith, orange zest, pine needle, and zesty florals. Honey malts. Musky mango with light additions of passion fruit and peach.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Rush2112 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am
Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Cars 2

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
I did my duty a few years before you.

Thomas and the Magic Railroad
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5176
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Rush2112 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am
Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Cars 2

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
I did my duty a few years before you.

Thomas and the Magic Railroad
Oh he's been on that shit as well.
Taste:
Grapefruit pith, orange zest, pine needle, and zesty florals. Honey malts. Musky mango with light additions of passion fruit and peach.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 8736
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Movies

Post by sancarlos » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:17 pm

I kind of miss those days, when my daughter was young, and we watched shows like Thomas the Tank Engine together.

Still think that Ringo Starr, George Carlin, and Alec Baldwin made a great trio of narrators.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
bfj
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1944
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Movies

Post by bfj » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Rush2112 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am
Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Cars 2

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
I did my duty a few years before you.

Thomas and the Magic Railroad
I have a 14 year old with autism, he’s still into it. Was that the one with Peter Fonda?
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11561
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm

bfj wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm
Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Rush2112 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am
Pruitt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Cars 2

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
I did my duty a few years before you.

Thomas and the Magic Railroad
I have a 14 year old with autism, he’s still into it. Was that the one with Peter Fonda?
You know, I do also miss those days.

That was the one with Peter Fonda. He appeared buzzed during the entire movie. I still use his "classic" line at times: "the lights are all green Lady; green for glory!"

We wore out a number of Thomas vhs tapes. I was on #teamcarlin when it came to narrators. God, just remembered - that was the first movie I took my son to in a theatre. Week or two after it opened, place was empty. I have never ever seen anyone so enthralled with anything, ever. So enthralled that he pissed his pants rather than go to the washroom and miss a second of the movie.

He made me stop telling that story several years ago. (My baby boy is now 21)
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

Post Reply