Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am Did anyone see "A Simple Favor"? It might be first movie I rent in a year when it comes to on demand. Looked super good and I've got a small, totally not unhealthy, teeny little obsession with Anna Kendrick.
It was well-done I thought, even if the big reveal was a little too early IMO.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am
rass wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am Did anyone see "A Simple Favor"? It might be first movie I rent in a year when it comes to on demand. Looked super good and I've got a small, totally not unhealthy, teeny little obsession with Anna Kendrick.
Science has actually proven that any obsession with Anna Kendrick is considered healthy and normal.
Over/under on how many seconds of googling it would take to find some dude who proves that statement incorrect?
Oh there may be people for whom she isn't their bag, but that does not prove my statement incorrect!
I meant more along the lines of finding a guy who is unhealthily obsessed.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:05 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am
rass wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 am
Science has actually proven that any obsession with Anna Kendrick is considered healthy and normal.
Over/under on how many seconds of googling it would take to find some dude who proves that statement incorrect?
Oh there may be people for whom she isn't their bag, but that does not prove my statement incorrect!
I meant more along the lines of finding a guy who is unhealthily obsessed.
Again, the point stands. (I may be proving your point by reasserting my point.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:02 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 am I watched the Coen's Ballad of Buster Scruggs while cozied up with my frozen peas, and while it was beautiful, there was something about it I just didn't think felt right. It definitely isn't one of their best films (though the Tom Waits section is phenomenal) but this deadspin article does a pretty good job of getting to the heart of why I think this movie should have been so much more different this day and age. Spoilers are included in that article.
I read that article yesterday, even though I'd never heard of that new movie (I don't have Netflix). I started thinking and I can't think of a single significant non-white character in ANY Coen brothers movie. But that can't be right, can it? If so, it's disappointing, and I'm surprised I'd never noticed before.
It's been discussed quite a bit amongst movie critics and those who write a lot about movies. One of the ironies of that is the movie considered pretty universally to be their worst (The Ladykillers) is about the only one of their movies to feature any significant parts for African-Americans.

I'm not going to excuse it, but I think there are some legitimate factors.

One, frankly they make a lot of period pieces and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have a black sheriff's deputy in 1970s rural Texas or a black professor at a university in 1960s suburban Minneapolis. If you go through their filmography there's about half their movies where it would hard to imagine any major roles just because of the location and time period.

Two, they tend to use the same actors a lot which probably helps them to get the performances they want, but limits the chances for new actors to break through.

Still, even with that it is a little troubling.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 pm Look, I'm totally not that guy saying she's ugly, or I've had better or whatever. It's just that the first movie I saw her in was Up in the Air, and her character really annoyed me. Also, something about her nose and/or eyes have always just struck me as, and I don't mean this to be as harsh as it's going to come out, Richard Lynch-ian. Just look at that screen cap above!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Now for me, I want to see that movie because of Blake Lively. She fine.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am
rass wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 pm Look, I'm totally not that guy saying she's ugly, or I've had better or whatever. It's just that the first movie I saw her in was Up in the Air, and her character really annoyed me. Also, something about her nose and/or eyes have always just struck me as, and I don't mean this to be as harsh as it's going to come out, Richard Lynch-ian. Just look at that screen cap above!
Ha. I re-read a bit of the thread from 2014 you originally posted this in and I’ll just say that based on some of the comments there, Kendrick does a remarkable job of pulling off a “regular girl” image for someone who’s been in show business since age 12.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:02 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 am I watched the Coen's Ballad of Buster Scruggs while cozied up with my frozen peas, and while it was beautiful, there was something about it I just didn't think felt right. It definitely isn't one of their best films (though the Tom Waits section is phenomenal) but this deadspin article does a pretty good job of getting to the heart of why I think this movie should have been so much more different this day and age. Spoilers are included in that article.
I read that article yesterday, even though I'd never heard of that new movie (I don't have Netflix). I started thinking and I can't think of a single significant non-white character in ANY Coen brothers movie. But that can't be right, can it? If so, it's disappointing, and I'm surprised I'd never noticed before.
There was this guy in O Brother
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, and Jackie Treehorn in Lebowski, and the "when there was no crawdads we ate dirt" guy in Raising Arizona. But it really seems like there are no main, or even second/third tier characters who aren't white. That's not a great look. Granted, I'm sure they aren't the only moviemakers with this problem. I can't remember too many Scorsese characters who weren't white either.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am
She's super cute, but she's odd looking. Unconventional beauty, where a lot of her attractiveness is how she carries herself. Incredibly flirty, but with a lot of seeming self-doubt. Girl you had major crush on in college.
Wow, what a perfect summation. Plus she has great legs and very perky tits. Every time I see or here her interviewed, the crush grows.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am
She's super cute, but she's odd looking. Unconventional beauty, where a lot of her attractiveness is how she carries herself. Incredibly flirty, but with a lot of seeming self-doubt. Girl you had major crush on in college.
Wow, what a perfect summation. Plus she has great legs and very perky tits. Every time I see or here her interviewed, the crush grows.
Alison Brie is the same way.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Community or G.L.O.W.?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Mad Men
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Allison is cuter (conventionally) and has a better body.

I still have a bigger crush on Anna.

But that's on a relative scale where both are super cute.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" and really liked it.

Even though it was short, I thought the 2nd piece (with James Franco) was perfection. The Tom Waits tale was fantastic as well, and the opening with Buster Scruggs was amazing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:20 am
rass wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 pm Better cameo for the new Robin Hood:

Costner or Connery?
I'm really surprised how good that movie looks to me.
Robin Hood plot recreated with reviews
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Everything little thing I ever learn about Coen Brothers movies seems like a mini-treasure.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gold. Pure gold.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Death of Stalin is excellent.

Witty and snappy like you'd expect from Armando Iannucci (creator of Veep. Steve Buscemi is great, as is the guy who plays Beria.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The second fantastic beast was ... and this is coming from a potter head... pretty shitty.

I don’t like the pivot to a Dumbledore prequel series. And what about the dadgum beasts? I trust Rowling but this was easily the worst on all the movies. Read something that said it’s also the first movie that didn’t have its own real true ending to a serial type. Totally the case. It was all exposition with eyes toward something further. Honestly? 2/10.

Redmayne deserves more.

ETA: and they totally fucked up the McGonagall timeline.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's too bad, and pretty much echoes the reviews I have read. I didn't see the first in the theater and was surprised by how solid it was.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Really enjoyed the first one, but Crimes of Grindelwald was complete shit. Very disjointed.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I didn't think it was complete shit. If you didn't think about it too much, it was entertaining. But it really needed some better editing. The story was overly complex for something that didn't really have a real conclusion. Definitely not nearly as good as the first one.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:17 am I didn't think it was complete shit. If you didn't think about it too much, it was entertaining. But it really needed some better editing. The story was overly complex for something that didn't really have a real conclusion. Definitely not nearly as good as the first one.
I just can't agree. There were LONG stretches of boring for me. Really could have been helped by a couple of more beasts featuring.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In less than 2 1/2 minutes I went from thinking Marvel didn't (shouldn't!) even need to release a trailer for Avengers 4 to being disappointed that the trailer didn't show more. And I don't get why they were so coy with the title if that's what it ended up being.
[+] spoiler
Endgame
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh, and this is my fault for not seeing yet but I assume that the trailer at least partially
[+] spoiler
spoiled Antman & The Wasp
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:53 am Oh, and this is my fault for not seeing yet but I assume that the trailer at least partially
[+] spoiler
spoiled Antman & The Wasp
Did it?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think so?
[+] spoiler
He showed up with the other dusted headshots in the middle of the trailer and then Cap and Widow got all spooked when he showed up for the big ending?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
You should probably just watch the movie.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tweeted about this also, but saw Blade Runner for the first time last night and I loved it. Can't believe it took me this long to watch it. Great score, great script, great acting, especially the supporting cast. Looking forward to re-watching it again one day.

ETA: I watched the Ridley Scott "Final Cut" version from 2007 and it appears I've made the correct choice. But I actually own the four-disc box set so I'm interested in checking out some of the other cuts, all of which are available in the box set.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Gin ad tweet by Ryan Reynolds in the other thread got me looking at his other tweets. This one is good, and timely too.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They are literally recutting a pg13 version. So crazy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rewatching Shaun of the dead. So fun.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 pm Rewatching Shaun of the dead. So fun.
It is, and so well done.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:38 am
A_B wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 pm Rewatching Shaun of the dead. So fun.
It is, and so well done.
Absolutely. A great movie. Hot Fuzz is also really good, but not the classic that Shaun of the Dead is.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BlacKKKlansman is a great fucking movie. Spike Lee knows what the hell he is doing. The ending, with the footage from the Charlottesville riots, is incredibly powerful.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Anyone seen The Mule yet?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Was folding laundry and landed on HBO's Momentum Generation... Documentary about Kelly Slater and the crew that burst onto the surfing scene in the 90s. Wasn't expecting much... Absolutely floored by how good this movie was!

I'm really not a skater/surfer guy, but this was a fascinating movie, very similar to Lords of Dogtown. Highly recommend this movie.

ETA - You don't expect to cry multiple times watching a surfing documentary. This movie will absolutely move you.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

went to see deadpool christmas. for a recut dp2 it was hilarious. really cleverly done. not at all a rehash.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I guess this can get posted here. I just posted in another thread about still having my hair at my advanced age. But I was reminded how grey it is by this exchange at a Christmas party we attended this past Saturday night.

I've let my hair grow out longer than usual, so a lady at the party says,
"Wow, your hair is kinda long for you! It looks like that guy in A Star is Born."
Me: (feeling flattered). "I haven't seen that movie. Do you mean Bradley Cooper?"
Her: "Oh, gawd no. I mean the older guy... [consults iPhone]... [looks up image on iPhone]... This guy! Not the face of course, just the hair, you don't have a mustache of course."

The image was of white-haired Sam Elliott.