Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:45 am

EnochRoot wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:20 pm
So I'm watching Being There (Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine). Where's this freakin movie been all my life?
Chauncey Gardner
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:05 pm

We watched Nomadland last night, and thought it was really good. Beautifully filmed, and well acted (If Frances MacDormand doesn't get an Oscar for it, I'll be surprised). Sad...but in a uplifting kind of way, if that makes any sense.
[+] spoiler
I was expecting something bad to happen to her...some kind of crime/violence. Glad that it didn't.

It also made me feel even more guilty about ordering shit from Amazon.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 am

Me: The Fast and the Furious franchise remains dumb.

Also me: I think I want to see this in a theater (would be first time since the pandemic started).

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 am

tennbengal wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 am

Also me: I think I want to see this in a theater (would be first time since the pandemic started).

The thought of going to a theater to sit through 2 hours of that caused anxiety. About the same way I feel when I think about scheduling an appointment for a colonoscopy. I couldn't get through the 3 minute trailer. I saw the first movie and I think the second. I just don't comprehend the appeal.

ETA: That said, if you are going to watch it, it's gotta be on the big screen with surround sound.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 am

The Sybian wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 am
tennbengal wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 am

The thought of going to a theater to sit through 2 hours of that caused anxiety. About the same way I feel when I think about scheduling an appointment for a colonoscopy. I couldn't get through the 3 minute trailer. I saw the first movie and I think the second. I just don't comprehend the appeal.

ETA: That said, if you are going to watch it, it's gotta be on the big screen with surround sound.
Your doctor has trailers for colonoscopies? Shit.

(I got one next week!)
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:28 am

I don't think I'll be ready for a full theater anytime soon...

The magnet scene feels like a rip of the climactic scene of the otherwise pretty forgettable 6 Underground.

The kids really wanted to watch the series. The youngest bowed out partway through the first one because she got bored with the car BS and told us she would try again when The Rock shows up, but the oldest is super into them. We just made it through Tokyo Drift (which I had never seen in full). Good thing Han was so likeable because the main character was not great?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:53 am

Yeah, maybe I need to try those movies again. I like smash em up movies like the next guy, but those were always so aggressively dumb that I just couldn't suspend my disbelief.

I'm gonna assume that Dom's little brother (the hulking John Cena) was just never mentioned in the previous 8 movies? And not only is he John Cena, but he has his own army? And that never came up before?
Totally Kafkaesque

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am

They've leaned into the dumb. I respect that, entirely. Makes it more fun, frankly.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L Jackson, Salma Hayek (you probably guessed that from the lower right corner of the still), and zero brain required.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:20 pm

A_B wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 am
colonoscopies? Shit.
Yep...pretty much...