Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I guess unsurprisingly, I love Jack Black. When I want a pick me up, I watch Tenacious D concerts on YouTube.

School of Rock is an "oh, I guess I have to sit and watch the end of this" if I hit it while popping around. I actually liked Shallow Hal, if that helps set a bar for where I'm at.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm t.o...blow...J.zz...i.s the best...d...mov.e.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm a fan of both Jack Black and Ryan Reynolds. But I get how they could rub people the wrong way at times. My family has watched Kung Fu Panda a jillion times. Loved School of Rock too (as well as Tenacious D).
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The family watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night. My son was assigned it for a class. I thought I'd seen it before, but realized that I'd only seen parts. Man, is that a sloooooow movie. Like 4 things happen, but it's nearly 3 hours long. It's very pretty, but unbearably pretentious at times.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm t.o...blow...J.zz...i.s the best...d...mov.e.
Accurate.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A couple months ago I started listening to Anthony Jeselnik's podcast with his college buddy and NFLNetwork (reporter?) Gregg Rosenthal the Jeselnik Rosenthal Vanity Project. If you like Jeselnik, it's fantastic. Anyways, the last two episodes Jeselnik spent half the time going off on tangents about the new Space Jam. While he clearly hates it and makes it sound like the worst movie he's ever seen, I am feeling really compelled to watch it, mostly for his constant references to Don Cheadle's character Al G. Rhythm. I needed to reread the hilarious reviews here to stop myself from watching.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jeselnik's joke about his neighbor with Alzheimer's is one of my favorite jokes ever. Looks like I have more to listen to on our road trip tomorrow night.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 pm The family watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night. My son was assigned it for a class. I thought I'd seen it before, but realized that I'd only seen parts. Man, is that a sloooooow movie. Like 4 things happen, but it's nearly 3 hours long. It's very pretty, but unbearably pretentious at times.
Yeah, there a bunch of "classics" that our current brains would have a lot of trouble sitting through, mainly due to pacing.

The Sting, which I loved growing up, is a VERY long, often very slow-moving movie.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 pm The family watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night. My son was assigned it for a class. I thought I'd seen it before, but realized that I'd only seen parts. Man, is that a sloooooow movie. Like 4 things happen, but it's nearly 3 hours long. It's very pretty, but unbearably pretentious at times.
Yeah, there a bunch of "classics" that our current brains would have a lot of trouble sitting through, mainly due to pacing.

The Sting, which I loved growing up, is a VERY long, often very slow-moving movie.
Oh, but man, my boys loved The Sting. It holds up.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:27 pm Jeselnik's joke about his neighbor with Alzheimer's is one of my favorite jokes ever. Looks like I have more to listen to on our road trip tomorrow night.
It goes without saying, but a lot of the show isn't child friendly.

I forgot that joke. I love his standup.

-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:12 pm A couple months ago I started listening to Anthony Jeselnik's podcast with his college buddy and NFLNetwork (reporter?) Gregg Rosenthal the Jeselnik Rosenthal Vanity Project.
Me too! I was scratching for a new listen back in February or March and came across a recommendation in some random article and really liked it. Been listening regularly since.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Friend of mine who was in the business a bit for a while about 15 years ago fucking HATES Jeselnik.

She's now a midwife, and would probably identify as at least some measure of feminist, so I get it. But, man she hates him and I'm pretty sure it's personal, not just a dislike of his act/persona.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:34 pm Friend of mine who was in the business a bit for a while about 15 years ago fucking HATES Jeselnik.

She's now a midwife, and would probably identify as at least some measure of feminist, so I get it. But, man she hates him and I'm pretty sure it's personal, not just a dislike of his act/persona.
Yeah, he said several times he has no patience for BS from comics, and a lot of comics hate him for it. He is ornery and doesn’t tolerate shit. He’d probably admit he is at least in part to blame for all his beefs.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He slayed at those roasts where I first got to see him.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is looking pretty good, btw. Excited when it finally comes out.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watching some clips of the movie Brubaker in my MBA class this morning. Teammate texted me that the lead looks like Brad Pitt.

It's ROBERT FRIGGING REDFORD!
image.png
image.png (127.71 KiB) Viewed 922 times
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Send them the Spy Game trailer and tell them it was a forerunner to Gemini Man.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:42 pm Transformers: The Movie Returns to Theaters for 35th Anniversary

You got the touch...
Ooh I'll hit that. Was just thinking about that movie while I was watching Secret of NIMH the other night. (Which also totally holds up.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:38 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:42 pm Transformers: The Movie Returns to Theaters for 35th Anniversary

You got the touch...
Ooh I'll hit that. Was just thinking about that movie while I was watching Secret of NIMH the other night. (Which also totally holds up.)
First movie I saw in the theater without my parents. Village 3 on Thanksgiving morning for a donation of canned food. Amazing list of people who gave voices. Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, and Orson Wells. Also if I recall correctly there was an autobot who cursed.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 am
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:38 am

You got the touch...
First movie I saw in the theater without my parents. Village 3 on Thanksgiving morning for a donation of canned food. Amazing list of people who gave voices. Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, and Orson Wells. Also if I recall correctly there was an autobot who cursed.
Don't forget the Micro Machines Guy.

And yes, there was a swear uttered.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Interesting thread from Amanda Knox (yes, that Amanda Knox) about the new movie 'Stillwater'.

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:10 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Oh, but man, my boys loved The Sting. It holds up.
I'm still catching up on recently deceased people's old movies and just watched the original Superman last week (in honor of Ned Beatty). It's probably the first time I've seen it this century and definitely the first time without commercials interspersed, and man is that movie slow. It takes about 45 minutes for Christopher Reeve to show up with so much backstory, and it barely meant anything with the rest of the movie. I know I'm talking about a movie that's over 40 years old and there's been so much advancement with CGI technology, but there was so little superhero-y stuff.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Having The Rock deliver the Jungle Cruise puns seems like such obvious winner of an idea that you’re almost in danger of not appreciating how well it works. He’s great. Blunt is great. Plemons is GREAT. The brother and the cat are good. The other villains…. a little too PotC? Definitely a little too PotC.

We saw it at a drive-in. Good times.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 am Having The Rock deliver the Jungle Cruise puns seems like such obvious winner of an idea that you’re almost in danger of not appreciating how well it works. He’s great. Blunt is great. Plemons is GREAT. The brother and the cat are good. The other villains…. a little too PotC? Definitely a little too PotC.

We saw it at a drive-in. Good times.
Is it a kids’movie? I haven’t sat down and watched a kids’ movie in a long time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If it wasn’t a Disney movie, based on a Disney theme park ride, I don’t think anyone would consider it a kid’s movie.

But if none of that was true it might also be less kid-friendly (cursing, more violent)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched the new Soderburgh on Saturday night...'No Sudden Moves' on HBO Max. Pretty good...felt like an Elmore Leonard story. Don Cheadle was great, but the story was a bit hard to follow. Worth checking out, for all the old cars alone.

Also....things I've learned from listening to 'How Did This Get Made' about Fast 9: Bill Simmons had a cameo as a pit crew member in a flashback scene.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:40 pm Just watched Tenet...my brain hurts.
Finally watched Tenet this weekend. The first time I got confused I paused the movie and hit google because I thought it was a relatively innocuous point in the movie but luckily I decided to wait until I watched the entire thing because it was the
[+] spoiler
first(!)
fight at the Oslo freeport and I totally would have ruined everything. Nolan definitely trusts the viewer to keep up or to trust him that he'll eventually reveal what's going on. I think he mostly succeeds in that, though I had a tough time following exactly what happened in that showdown in the underground bunker at the end and feel like I missed something there. It kept on the right side of interesting vs frustrating for me, but can see it pretty easily tipping the other way for someone else.

Also watched The Suicide Squad and it was occasionally/alternatingly gorgeous and gory and funny but ultimately a little too empty for me. Though I don't regret the 2+ hours of my life I gave it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:49 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:40 pm Just watched Tenet...my brain hurts.
Finally watched Tenet this weekend. The first time I got confused I paused the movie and hit google because I thought it was a relatively innocuous point in the movie but luckily I decided to wait until I watched the entire thing because it was the
[+] spoiler
first(!)
fight at the Oslo freeport and I totally would have ruined everything. Nolan definitely trusts the viewer to keep up or to trust him that he'll eventually reveal what's going on. I think he mostly succeeds in that, though I had a tough time following exactly what happened in that showdown in the underground bunker at the end and feel like I missed something there. It kept on the right side of interesting vs frustrating for me, but can see it pretty easily tipping the other way for someone else.

Also watched The Suicide Squad and it was occasionally/alternatingly gorgeous and gory and funny but ultimately a little too empty for me. Though I don't regret the 2+ hours of my life I gave it.
Second on suicide squad. I find Margo Robbie had to watch on the role. But likes the characters and the beginning was strong way to start. Best D.C. based superhero movie in a bit...but not the best thing ever.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Recently watched both The Hunter and At Eternity's Gate and thought them both excellent. Particularly the latter – he just crushes as Van Gogh.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm Godzilla v Kong was weird, but I haven't watched much of the previous ones in this series. Just... the amount of mass death and destruction seems weirdly ignored, but I couldn't really get past that every time one of them would destroy an aircraft carry or an apartment building or whatever and I'm like, "well, that's about 3000 dead people... that's another 1000..."
Hong Kong, gone!

Fun shlock - but none of the central plot points made the least bit of sense.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Reminiscence was a fine free watch at home movie. Interesting concept. Felt like they were going for a Blade Runner type vibe but won't be the classic that is (I think Blade Runner is overrated)..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:40 pm Reminiscence was a fine free watch at home movie. Interesting concept. Felt like they were going for a Blade Runner type vibe but won't be the classic that is (I think Blade Runner is overrated)..
The hell you say...
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:01 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:40 pm Reminiscence was a fine free watch at home movie. Interesting concept. Felt like they were going for a Blade Runner type vibe but won't be the classic that is (I think Blade Runner is overrated)..
The hell you say...
I agree with wlu_lax a little. It's still good, but it's mostly atmosphere and mood. This might be my first movie opinion dissent from brian.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:17 pm
The hell you say...
I agree with wlu_lax a little. It's still good, but it's mostly atmosphere and mood. This might be my first movie opinion dissent from brian.
Even then, I understand where you're coming from. I think I was lucky that I didn't even see Blade Runner until about five or six years ago. My opinion of it is helped by how accurate it was about a lot of early 21st century stuff and that it is much more emotional and atmospheric to borrow your description, which resonates more with me being middle-aged. If I had seen it first when I was 14, not sure the fate of the replicants would have been as heartbreaking as it was the first time I saw it.

Oh well, time to die.

ETA: Also, I saw the Final Cut version the first time instead of the original theatrical release cut and it's vastly, vastly superior in my opinion. By the way, the Final Cut version is available on HBOMax until the end of August.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:23 pm
The hell you say...
Even then, I understand where you're coming from. I think I was lucky that I didn't even see Blade Runner until about five or six years ago. My opinion of it is helped by how accurate it was about a lot of early 21st century stuff and that it is much more emotional and atmospheric to borrow your description, which resonates more with me being middle-aged. If I had seen it first when I was 14, not sure the fate of the replicants would have been as heartbreaking as it was the first time I saw it.

Oh well, time to die.

ETA: Also, I saw the Final Cut version the first time instead of the original theatrical release cut and it's vastly, vastly superior in my opinion. By the way, the Final Cut version is available on HBOMax until the end of August.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I watched it when I was too young to get it. I just remember it was really dark and boring, but I'd like to see it as an adult.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:23 pm
The hell you say...

Oh well, time to die.

Brian may have hit this one. If you watch it at the wrong time in your life you may not be able to really appreciate the brilliance of that movie. Also it maybe a movie that would not have benefited from the hype. Being told it is the greatest thing ever is a tough starting point. I have a similar feeling for lots of Hitchcock and Bogart films. Part of the reason I am afraid of trying Dinner with Andre.
[+] spoiler
Rosebud is the sled
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, that's fair. I'd say it's great relative to the science-fiction genre, but not great when you're putting it up against the best 10 to 20 pictures of any given decade, but I have a lower opinion of sci-fi than a lot of people.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watched Shang Chi last night. I was really impressed. Little bit of marvel, little bit of harry potter, little bit of LOTR. Little bit of mulan. Hit me in the sweet spot.

I had next to no expectations but it would have exceeded just about any I could have had short of proclaiming it an oscar winner. But who would do that for a Marvel movie?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:23 pm Even then, I understand where you're coming from. I think I was lucky that I didn't even see Blade Runner until about five or six years ago. My opinion of it is helped by how accurate it was about a lot of early 21st century stuff and that it is much more emotional and atmospheric to borrow your description, which resonates more with me being middle-aged. If I had seen it first when I was 14, not sure the fate of the replicants would have been as heartbreaking as it was the first time I saw it.
I saw Blade Runner when it was first in the theater (summer of '82) and I remember thinking it was slow/boring, and not really getting it. I know I went in expecting it to be more of an action/sci-fi movie (having Harrison Ford in it fueled a lot of that).