Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by sancarlos »

Finally saw Hell or High Water on ppv tonight. Some big holes in the plot but great acting, cinematography, and musical score. It was a very entertaining movie
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Finally saw Inception last night. Good movie. Tons going on, and once it ended, I searched my suspicions online, and yeah, there are others that concur with me:
[+] spoiler
The entire movie played out as Cobb's dream. All of it.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Watched "Moonlight" last night. Damn good movie. Super downer in places, but ends on a relative up-note.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Did the same. Really liked it. Tampa is by no means Liberty City, but seeing Florida on the screen was nice. Also, the fear of both elementary and high school felt very authentic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:
rass wrote:Took the kids to see Moana yesterday (pretty good, I liked it better that Sing!, which quite frankly could have used more singing) and not only is The Rock a passable singer, they gave him an insanely catchy song. You're welcome!
EGOT!
Bet you really dislike La La Land now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

After last night, I have to see Fences, Hell or High Water, Moonlight, Hidden Figures, and maybe Manchester by the Sea and Captain Fantastic.

Those last two are probably very, very good but it really comes down to laziness if I get through the others first.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My aversion to heavy dramas will keep me from seeing Manchester By The Sea and Fences.

Dying to see Hell or High Water and even though it sounds really heavy, everyone I know who saw Moonlight absolutely raved about it. And my wife wants to see La La Land, so there's that.

And The Red Turtle is supposed to be fantastic.

I only saw Zootopia, Kubo and the Two Strings and Captain Fantastic all of which were really good. And Viggo Mortensen waved a soccer team's sticker as his name was announced. Apparently he loves San Lorenzo from Argentina.

Seems like a cool dude.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Remarkable lack of chatter about the EPIC FAIL of the Oscars last night...

The Rock had to break out the People's Eyebrow for the occasion...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Remarkable lack of chatter about the EPIC FAIL of the Oscars last night...

The Rock had to break out the People's Eyebrow for the occasion...
Wow! The Rock's acting is more restrained than Meryl Streep's. Has the mantle of great actor been passed?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Meanwhile, Sting is in hour 3 of a 9-hour orgasm.

Get Out was AWESOME. Totally lives up to the hype. One of those movies that has me excited about going to the movies again.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah. Yup.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I saw Moonlight last night and if that's the best movie of 2016, I don't need to see any other ones.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I watched Letters from Iwo Jima last night. Easily one of the best war movies ever made. I had a difficult time falling asleep afterwards because I couldn't get a couple of scenes out of my head.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jerloma wrote:I saw Moonlight last night and if that's the best movie of 2016, I don't need to see any other ones.
I can't tell if this means you hated it or loved it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I saw Moonlight last night and if that's the best movie of 2016, I don't need to see any other ones.
I can't tell if this means you hated it or loved it.
Same.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm reading that as a pan.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It was only slightly less disappointing than Birdman for movies that won a best picture Oscar.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hmmm. Can I use pan as a noun in that way?

Anyway, no sir, he didn't like it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

See?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Cross-thread post alert:

From the Racism thread:
Pruitt wrote:Holy crow!

Tangentally to this thread - Walk The Line was good, but having seen (and loved) Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, gotta say, I liked the comedy version better.
Walk Hard is criminally underrated. The wife and I quote it all the time.

Daughter after some imaginary injury: It hurts!
Me: No it doesn't, come on.
Daughter: It hurts, it hurts real bad.
Wife: Dewey, I'm cut in half pretty bad.

Wife: Doesn't the crock pot smell good?
Me: I have no fucking sense of smell, lady!

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW9AHQXh_RM
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:Cross-thread post alert:

From the Racism thread:
Pruitt wrote:Holy crow!

Tangentally to this thread - Walk The Line was good, but having seen (and loved) Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, gotta say, I liked the comedy version better.
Walk Hard is criminally underrated. The wife and I quote it all the time.

Daughter after some imaginary injury: It hurts!
Me: No it doesn't, come on.
Daughter: It hurts, it hurts real bad.
Wife: Dewey, I'm cut in half pretty bad.

Wife: Doesn't the crock pot smell good?
Me: I have no fucking sense of smell, lady!
Completely agree. I've seen it 3 times and quote it all the time.

"Course I believe in you. I just know you're going to fail."

Also love the song "Guilty as charged" - "If you're thinking that my love is way too large. Than I'm guilty. Guilty as charged."

My favorite Judd Apatow movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DXj_7ae0Y
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Deadpool 2 leaked trailer:

Wall of text at the end is an Old Man and the Sea synopsis with snarky commentary:
The old man and the sea is the story of a fight between and elderly, accomplished fisherman, Santiago, and a really big fish. Like... HUGE. The story opens with Santiago suffering eighty four days without catching a fish because he's the unluckiest son of a bitch on planet earth. Honesty, if you were in a boat for eighty four days, it'd be hard NOT to catch a fish... even by accident. Santiago was so unlucky that his apprentice, Manolin, was forbidden by his Ma and Pa to fish with him. But as the Fresh Prince used to say, "Parents just don't understand". So the boy visits Santiago's shack anyway, ignoring the inherent risks of unsupervised playtime with an eldery man who talks to himself. Manolin helps out, moving Santiago's fishing gear, making food, and talking about baseball. Especially Joe DiMaggio, who used to bump fuzzies with Marilyn Monroe. The next day, Santiago tells Manolin that he's going way out into the gulf Stream. WAY OUT north of Cuba. Lady Luck is returning. On the eighty-fifth day of his crappy lunch, Santiago drops his lines and by noon, gets a bite from what feels like a big-ass fish. He's sure he's a winner. He fights and fights and fights and fights but can't pull the monster in.Santiago's leaky old boat is pulled by the fish for two days and nights as he holds on for dear life. Even though he's bloody and beat, Santiago begins to appreciate this mighty adversary. He starts calling him "Brother" or maybe even "Bro". It's sort of a love story if you really think about it. And like most romantic comedies, the reader pictures a delightful outfit changing montage, followed by the inevitable interspecies wedding. But on the third day, Santiago is freakin' EXHAUSTED, and decides he just wants the fish to do what he says and not always swim wherever it wants. So he stabs it. With a fucking harpoon. It's a mess. Super gross. Blood everywhere. Because, like many men his age, Santiago has difficulty expressing his emotions and fears with words instead of giving in to base desires and imposing his gigantically terrible position on any given subject through unblinking violence. Typical. Anyway, he straps the marlin to the side of his skiff and hits the road home, read to act like a total show off to everyone and probably gouge people on the price. But guess what? Pretty soon sharks begin to attack the bleeding Marlin's carcass, because as we all know, life is a tragic opera and just when you think you've finally found something good and true, sharks come along and rip it all to fucking shreds while dry-humping your dignity with their crazy-weird shark dicks. Sure, Santiago tries killing a few of them, but drops his harpoon because his hands are just as old as he is. By nighttime, the sharks have pretty much eaten the entire marlin. Only a bleach-white skeleton remains, silently mocking him in the murky darkness. Santiago realizes he's still unlucky, REALLY unlucky (DUH!) Ma calls the sharks "dream killers". Which isn't really all that fair, I mean, the sharks were just doing their job and the marlin... Jesus, don't even get me started on the marlin. It was just hanging out one day, minding it's own business, maybe thinking about ways it could be a better provider for it's family and WHAM! Harpoon in the brain. Who's the "Dream killer" now, fuckface! The hypocrisy is pretty much boundless at this point. Eventually Santiago makes it ashore. Leaving the bones of the marlin and the boat, he hobbles to his shack. He makes it home and crashes, like I said - He's super tired. The next morning, a group of fisherman gather around Santiago's boat. One measures the skeleton and, holy shit shingles! It's over 18 feet! The head of the fish is given to Pedrico (Strange that this is the first mention of him) and the other fishermen ask Manolin to send their glad tidings to the old man. Manolin brings Santiago newspapers and coffee when he wakes and they decide to fish together again. Many years later there's a Red Lobster restaurant in nearly every city in America offering a casual dining experience and convenient parking.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just watched last summer's Star Trek flick. Great cast, good enough story, still a fantastic main theme and score. I should have seen it in the theater, but only $.99 right now on various streaming services, if you missed it, too.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Get Out was fucking good.

And the experience in the theater was amplified by some psycho mother fucker messing with his feet and toenails, sitting weirdly in his seat and grunting during serious parts in the film.

This is why I stay home to watch stuff.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Get Out was fucking good.

And the experience in the theater was amplified by some psycho mother fucker messing with his feet and toenails, sitting weirdly in his seat and grunting during serious parts in the film.

I know that you are quite a bot younger than me, but it sounds like you just reached the same conclusion I reached around my 40th.

Sick and tired of people talking in movies, texting, bratty kids etc.

The whole hype about the experience of seeing a film with a group of people adding to the "experience" is bullshit - with the exception of special effects vehicles of course.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Get Out was fucking good.

I know that you are quite a bot younger than me, but it sounds like you just reached the same conclusion I reached around my 40th.

Sick and tired of people talking in movies, texting, bratty kids etc.

The whole hype about the experience of seeing a film with a group of people adding to the "experience" is bullshit - with the exception of special effects vehicles of course.
I actually came to that conclusion 13 years ago when a group of my friends and I went to watch The Village. The dude sitting in the literal seat next to me started having a diabetic seizure.

He, out of fucking nowhere, started flailing and making noise. I quickly move to my side to avoid him and go "Holy shit, dude. What the hell?" He stops and becomes completely stiffens in his seat making gasping noises, breathing heavy, and his eyes got really wide. I'm fixated staring at him. His sister sitting on the opposite side from me leans over and says in the calmest, sweetest voice goes "It's ok. He's having a seizure." The fact that she's saying this while leaning over his lap as he's basically paralyzed is still one of the weirdest images ever seared into my brain.

Suddenly, people hearing "seizure" during a movie with flashing scenes on the screen around us start getting wound up and yell to have the lights turned on. The lights come on and there I am unable to look away. He's shaking, frozen in his seat, and foaming at the mouth. The sister asks if anyone has a soda. A girl in the seat behind us gave hers. The sister took a device from of his belt that I guess monitored his insulin and read it aloud. A few people in the theater were doctors/nurses and they came over. I'm still unmoved.

After a minute or two of watching this poor kid come back to earth, I break from my state and look around. The entire fucking theater is staring at me wondering what I did (it looked like you them) and at him because of what's going on. My group of friends looked panicked because they thought I was part of this episode or I was making the movie more entertaining by doing some Steve-O shit.

I get up from my seat and walk across the entire row to join them. They were like "Oh, that dude started whigging out? We thought you just wanted to do something crazy because you're you." Thanks, guys. The paramedics showed up and eventually the situation went back to normal.

Except the movie kept going. They didn't stop the reel. So when the lights went off we missed a significant part of the plot and the movie was spoiled. And the theater didn't give any of us a refund or voucher. I think some other patrons complained, but we left because that shit was gnarly.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh my God!

But how was the movie?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't mind it for an M. Night Shamalamadingdong flick. But it was widely panned by everyone.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Future Mrs. BSF actually passed out during our first screening of Deadpool.

Her idea for her Valentine's gift (I know, awesome right?), but the torture scene was a bit too intense for her. We were in seats 3 and 4 from the far aisle at a brewery we watch movies at. I looked over and she's taking off her jacket and her scarf and telling me she's feeling queasy. About 2 minutes later she says she needs to get up and get some air and is feeling lightheaded, she stood up and was out like Tyson had just dotted her. I caught her (if you've never experienced "dead weight" before, it's a fucking shock how heavy a 110lb woman is) and drug her out into the aisle. She vomits while she's out and comes to, pops right up like nothing happened. She was out for maybe 20 seconds, it seemed like 10 minutes. I remember I was maaaaaybe 2 seconds from yelling "can I get someone to call a fucking ambulance?" in a crowded theater of 300+, but she came to and we walked right out into the lobby. She was totally fine.

Long story longer, the manager come out and makes sure shes OK. We sign a bunch of forms that say everything is cool and she didn't hit her head or anything. He comps us a couple of tickets and hands them to her and says "next time maybe have your boyfriend bring you to a movie you choose for date night?", and she politely informs him that it was her idea and we will be back next weekend to see the end of it. He laughs and buys me a beer and gets us some chips to gnaw on while we come down from the whole thing. I cried like a little kid in the lobby once I knew she was OK. Scared me worse than anything I can remember in my adult life.

It's a fun story now but to bring it around, I went and bought the people in seats 1 and 2 a pair of tickets for their next movie. I felt bad we had ruined their experience halfway through. The guy made a big deal about it but I told him we appreciated their patience and the tickets had already been bought. Just a crappy situation all around. I think the worst part was because it was at Flix Brewhouse, a lot of people probably thought she was just bombed. She had had 2 sips of beer the whole time we had been there, but what else are you supposed to think.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Did she like the pegging scene?
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:Did she like the pegging scene?
She mostly thought the whole thing was hilarious. National Women's day doesn't get that kind of play around our home though.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I had to catch a 15-year-old girl as she passed out in front of me at a convenience store last year. Very surprised by how heavy the dead weight was.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Add me to the list of people who saw and loved GET OUT. And for the record, I saw it at 10:45 pm this past Saturday with a lot of younger people, and the experience with the quality commentary from the audience only added to the enjoyment.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Great poster, too.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Since I've just been on vacation, I've had a chance to catch up on some movies on the flights.

Hell or High Water - Pretty good, for a complete "No Country For Old Men" cover version, with Jeff Bridges in the Tommy Lee Jones role.

The Trip - 2010 movie with Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden touring the English Lakes District, and eating in amazing restaurants. Very funny, in a dry British way. Lots of competing Michael Caine impressions.

The Trip to Italy - 2014 movie, similar to above, but this time in Italy. Still lots of Michael Caine impressions, but also a good scene riffing on Christian Bane's Batman and Tom Hardy's Bane and the fact you couldn't understand either of them. Oh, and competing Mick Jagger impressions as well.

Also watched Bill Burr's latest Netflix special.

*Note: Being able to download stuff from NetFlix now is a great great great thing for plane trips.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Since I've just been on vacation, I've had a chance to catch up on some movies on the flights.

Hell or High Water - Pretty good, for a complete "No Country For Old Men" cover version, with Jeff Bridges in the Tommy Lee Jones role.

The Trip - 2010 movie with Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden touring the English Lakes District, and eating in amazing restaurants. Very funny, in a dry British way. Lots of competing Michael Caine impressions.

The Trip to Italy - 2014 movie, similar to above, but this time in Italy. Still lots of Michael Caine impressions, but also a good scene riffing on Christian Bane's Batman and Tom Hardy's Bane and the fact you couldn't understand either of them. Oh, and competing Mick Jagger impressions as well.

Also watched Bill Burr's latest Netflix special.

*Note: Being able to download stuff from NetFlix now is a great great great thing for plane trips.
Love those Trip movies - I have the dvds of the TV series that they are edited from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vukpjl44Yo0
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I haven't laughed this hard at a trailer in a long time.

Frances McDormand is a fucking national treasure.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I cannot stop watching that trailer.