Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 pm Yesterday sounds like a good premise for a 20 minute piece from a film school student. Not sure about a full length movie though.
I saw a lengthy trailer for this a few months ago, and it went from being a cute conceit to "why are they showing every plot point?"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:39 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 pm Yesterday sounds like a good premise for a 20 minute piece from a film school student. Not sure about a full length movie though.
I have a sneaking suspicion it isn’t good.
There’s a way to make that movie good though. The one guy aware of the Beatles is re-imagined into the Beatles timeline as a goofy teenager, Ringo Starr in Liverpool, England. He’s got to alter drummer Pete Best’s path as the future drummer of the Beatles, because if he doesn’t become the drummer, the world’s timeline becomes irrevocably altered where future radio airplay gets dominated by say, Neil Sedaka and Frankie Avalaon, and all the future bands draw influence from them than say, the Beatles, The Who, the Kinks, the Stones, etc. It’d have to be done tongue-in-cheek, but alternative timelines could be shown based on whatever scenarios they find themselves in. It’s all up to Ringo. Who the band at times openly mocks, and who music critics tend to dismiss as the luckiest guy on the planet, to keep the world from burning.
Wow, that is a way better movie. Well done.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:52 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:39 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm
I have a sneaking suspicion it isn’t good.
There’s a way to make that movie good though. The one guy aware of the Beatles is re-imagined into the Beatles timeline as a goofy teenager, Ringo Starr in Liverpool, England. He’s got to alter drummer Pete Best’s path as the future drummer of the Beatles, because if he doesn’t become the drummer, the world’s timeline becomes irrevocably altered where future radio airplay gets dominated by say, Neil Sedaka and Frankie Avalaon, and all the future bands draw influence from them than say, the Beatles, The Who, the Kinks, the Stones, etc. It’d have to be done tongue-in-cheek, but alternative timelines could be shown based on whatever scenarios they find themselves in. It’s all up to Ringo. Who the band at times openly mocks, and who music critics tend to dismiss as the luckiest guy on the planet, to keep the world from burning.
Wow, that is a way better movie. Well done.
A Sedaka-infused pipeline would've featured Air Supply on sold-out stadium tours, and Kurt Cobain blowing his head off at age 11 before he even picks up a guitar. Maybe Keith Moon is courted by Bell Labs to work in their applied physics laboratories.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

This story is really best told as a Netflix series, come to think of it.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

If you tell the story like Ringo has a Memento thing going on where he only remembers clues he's set out for himself from previous attempts...And well, not that the Beatles are the best or anything, but it's more that the universe needs a legendary talent for future generations to draw influence from, and it will make one, regardless of talent or merit. And there's some sort of cataclysmic events that wind up occurring in the alternative timelines when the Beatles and their proteges aren't there to make music, release records and singles to prevent um...time quakes.. ?
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I guess what I'm saying is...This would be season 1 or 2 of Netflix's adaptation of Jamie Mathieson's Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

I've had a fever for the past couple of days, btw. It's broken enough where I feel comfortable enough to sip on a glass of whiskey though.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

One of the episodes could be where Ringo fails in his task to upend Pete Best, thus catapulting a Mitch & Mickey (A Mighty Wind) type into the popular music stratosphere. Tell it through Eugene Levy's cuckolded eyes, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:53 pm Jackie Brown is not only the most underrated Tarantino movie, it’s probably his best movie.
I just stumbled across a very old post where I said as much, too.

(I got stuck in a rabbit hole of perusing old posts in the Old-Timey Music thread.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Have no interest in Yesterday, but this Ringer piece on the ethics of what the guy in the film did was a decent read (lots of Good Place'esque quotes from philosophy professors):

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/7 ... ics-debate
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 am Have no interest in Yesterday, but this Ringer piece on the ethics of what the guy in the film did was a decent read (lots of Good Place'esque quotes from philosophy professors):

I also have no interest in seeing this Baby Boomer schlock, but be warned - that article gives it all away.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 am Have no interest in Yesterday, but this Ringer piece on the ethics of what the guy in the film did was a decent read (lots of Good Place'esque quotes from philosophy professors):

I also have no interest in seeing this Baby Boomer schlock, but be warned - that article gives it all away.
I mean, didn't the trailers pretty much do that?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:51 am

For sure - in excruciating detail. But this article detailed the actual ending. (Which to be fair, any of us could have predicted!)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 am Starting watching all the MCU movies. Pretty good so far!
Finished just in time to catch the Endgame re-release in the theater Sunday. They gave 0.5 seconds to some of my favorites (read: Mantis) and it was still an unbelievable experience. I was trying to imagine how much more all the endings would have gotten to me if I had been watching all along for the last 10 years instead of fitting them all in a few weeks. The Stark-dad scene was already hard enough.

And I gotta say, now that I've been going back and reading stuff as the films came out and rankings of all 23, I think Captain Marvel got the worst treatment. Nobody really slammed it from what I saw, but that movie was more than just ok. My top 5:

1. Endgame
2. Captain America I
3. Black Panther
4. Spider-Man
5. Civil War

Tough omissions - Iron Man, Captain Marvel, both Guardians, Ant-Man II, Avengers I, Winter Soldier

But I'd probably go almost until the bottom 5 until I actually started not having fun with them. Ultron was terrible. The early Thor stuff and Doctor Strange are very cool characters but the plots weren't my bag.

I guess I like Marvel now?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 am

For sure - in excruciating detail. But this article detailed the actual ending. (Which to be fair, any of us could have predicted!)
Lennon murders him (ironically)?
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:50 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 am

Lennon murders him (ironically?)
Man - what if his girlfriend in the movie drove a wedge between the guy and his bandmates?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Saw Spiderman Far From Home last night. As an overall movie/plot I'd rank it in the middle of the whole Marvel series. One good thing about the plot was some misdirection...it is goes a very different direction than all of the articles that were written about the story line prior to the movies release.

I will also say stay for the mid-credit and post-credits scenes...they are two of the better credit scenes in the entire Marvel catalog.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:56 am Saw Spiderman Far From Home last night. As an overall movie/plot I'd rank it in the middle of the whole Marvel series. One good thing about the plot was some misdirection...it is goes a very different direction than all of the articles that were written about the story line prior to the movies release.

I will also say stay for the mid-credit and post-credits scenes...they are two of the better credit scenes in the entire Marvel catalog.
Took my son and his friends to Spider-Man for his birthday party. I generally don’t like superhero movies and was dreading going. Spider-man homecoming is the only movie in this saga I’ve seen (I think). Movie wasn’t bad. The final credits scene confused me, and the kids explanation didnt help much, but I’ll pretend it didn’t happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I liked spider man but really didn’t think it was super special. Which is probably because endgame was the previous entry. I think I’m ready for a marvel break?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Although I will say I think Tom holland is the best spider man.

And also I hope jake gyllenhaal comes back. I think that character has potential.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We saw Yesterday yesterday (it was a relatively well done, high-concept rom-com, nothing more and nothing less) and the trailer for the Downton Abbey movie played before it, and having never watched the show and given I was unaware they were making a movie, it wasn't until it was well over 1/2 way through and there were multiple references to "Downton" that I realized it wasn't a joke trailer. I kept expecting the M&Ms or something to pop out.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

WhoooBoy....the reviews for 'The Lion King' are bad...(that said, its still going to make a bazillion dollars).

And someone did a comparison of the 'I just can't wait to be King' number...

Yikes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't understand. Was there some clamor for a re-make? Why do they keep doing this sort of thing, and keep doing it poorly?

Couldn't they have made more money just re-releasing the original in theaters again?

(Many of you may be too young to remember this, but in the olden days before DVDs and VCRs and DVRs, Disney used to rotate and re-release their hit animated movies every dozen years or so, just in time for a new crop of kiddos.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm I don't understand. Was there some clamor for a re-make? Why do they keep doing this sort of thing, and keep doing it poorly?

Couldn't they have made more money just re-releasing the original in theaters again?

(Many of you may be too young to remember this, but in the olden days before DVDs and VCRs and DVRs, Disney used to rotate and re-release their hit animated movies every dozen years or so, just in time for a new crop of kiddos.)
I think they can extend the copyright claim better by making it a bit different instead of a re-release.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm I don't understand. Was there some clamor for a re-make? Why do they keep doing this sort of thing, and keep doing it poorly?

I think they can extend the copyright claim better by making it a bit different instead of a re-release.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why the live action remakes, but you're absolutely right. And probably they barely care if the new movies make money or not if it resets the period that they can make revenue off of the original content.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Are you guys kidding?

These movies make a fucking mint.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchise ... action.htm
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Plus they don't have to pay residuals to the original writers due to a strange Writers Guild of America loophole.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I will say that the remake of "The Jungle Book" was outstanding. The animation was unbelievable.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Really enjoyed Spidey and yeah, Holland is great in that role.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:50 pm
brian wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:11 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:45 pm Decided work could suck it today and played hooky and went to watch Apollo 11 and it was incredible. Probably too late at this point, but if you can catch it on the big screen, do it. Pretty gobsmacking all of the new footage they have.
CNN just announced it will be airing this on June 23 (they were a co-producer). Don't miss it. Watch on the biggest TV possible and turn up the sound.

I'm going to see it Sunday afternoon. Really looking forward to it.
CBS Livestream of their coverage of the launch.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’d die on this hill. I can go 3000 words backing this up.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That movie is so so good. I need to rewatch.

ETA: I think swingers does a decent job too but there is some exaggeration I suppose.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Bottle Rocket and Liz Warren in one day?!?! Imma go raise a glass and spark a bowl in your honor.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Macallan 12 Sherry oak and Lemon Haze, it is!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I laughed.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:24 pm That movie is so so good. I need to rewatch.

ETA: I think swingers does a decent job too but there is some exaggeration I suppose.
That's a pretty good one too, especially for the era (comprehensively irony-soaked). Like you said, it's played for laughs a little bit, but is mostly sincere.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:24 pm That movie is so so good. I need to rewatch.

How about Superbad?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm going to have to watch this. I'm not going to like it, but there beside the point.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

First movie Tom Cruise has been in where he looks his actual age?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am First movie Tom Cruise has been in where he looks his actual age?
Have to add a post-2005 to that or something.

But to that point, Ed Harris must have lived a hard 10 years since he was Cruise's age.