Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Shirley »

More likely someone quirky who burned out young and left the game and now is cajoled to come back in. But yeah, it could be interesting to have a guy who got banned by the NCAA and is trying to rekindle his love for the game and not all the other stuff (recruiting, entertaining boosters, etc.).
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 pm Funny how old sports media lionized abusive coaches. The Junction Boys about Bear Bryant, and pretty much everything about Vince Lombardi come to mind. And, anything about Bobby Knight that came before Season on the Brink.
Wasn't this also about the same time where we had a bunch of movies with an abusive hardass drill sergeant?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:19 pm
brian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:59 am Since it's March, a reminder why Hoosiers sucks.
Awesome, now I don't feel like I missed something by never having seen Hoosiers. It was my college roommate's favorite movie. Pretty sure he had a VHS copy with him the 3 years I lived with him, and he watched it multiple times.
My roommate's movie like this.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Cherry (Apple TV+).....wow....Tom Holland is very good...dark movie

3 for 3 on Apple TV movies (Greyhound, the Justin Timberlake one, and this).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:20 pm Watched Judah and the Black Messiah...It was okay. Straight to HBO Max with no premium (i.e. Disney model) was the right commitment for this one.
I thought it was as good. First half was excellent and it did fizzle a bit overall but I enjoyed it. Main actors were great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:20 pm Watched Judah and the Black Messiah...It was okay. Straight to HBO Max with no premium (i.e. Disney model) was the right commitment for this one.
I thought it was as good. First half was excellent and it did fizzle a bit overall but I enjoyed it. Main actors were great.
Yeah we watched that last night. Kaluuya and Stanfield were great but I think the script/direction let them down a bit. I knew it but it would have been nice to tell the audience that Fred Hampton was only 19-20 years old and some context with the racism/brutality of the Chicago police. They showed Hampton as a revolutionary but not the community organizer in the mode of Barack Obama which he absolutely was as well. Kind of a missed chance to show how incredible Hampton really was.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ll stay this now without reservation as well but even with the racism in Hollywood I feel pretty confident both Kaluuya and Stanfield both win an Oscar before their careers are done. They’re that good. Stanfield especially is one of the best young actors alive in my opinion.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:45 pm I’ll stay this now without reservation as well but even with the racism in Hollywood I feel pretty confident both Kaluuya and Stanfield both win an Oscar before their careers are done. They’re that good. Stanfield especially is one of the best young actors alive in my opinion.
I'm definitely a Lakeith Stan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

...and both of them nominated, almost exactly when I responded. Had no idea those were being announced this morning.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:35 am ...and both of them nominated, almost exactly when I responded. Had no idea those were being announced this morning.
Me neither! Sweet. Can now see what big hollywood wants me to see
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:35 am ...and both of them nominated, almost exactly when I responded. Had no idea those were being announced this morning.
Against each other, in the best supporting category. Make sense to you guys who have seen the movie? Twitter seems pissed.

*Twitter is always pissed, but you know what I mean
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 am
Me neither! Sweet. Can now see what big hollywood wants me to see
High fives you knowingly.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:55 am
Against each other, in the best supporting category. Make sense to you guys who have seen the movie? Twitter seems pissed.

It makes sense to me that they're in the same category, but probably should have been lead. The movie really was a dual vehicle.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Haven't seen many of the nominated movies and performances yet, but I did stay awake through "Mank" which is well acted and looks great but is definitely not worth 2 + hours of your time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:14 am Haven't seen many of the nominated movies and performances yet, but I did stay awake through "Mank" which is well acted and looks great but is definitely not worth 2 + hours of your time.
I actually did fall asleep halfway through that one and have to finish it here one of these days.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

A_B wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 am
rass wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:55 am

It makes sense to me that they're in the same category, but probably should have been lead. The movie really was a dual vehicle.
Maybe they're all assuming that Boseman takes best actor posthumously so they want to give one of them a chance for their own.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So I’m half hour into the new borat. Are these people really that clueless? I can get some of the older ones but the debutante ball seems like someone would have figured it out.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 pm So I’m half hour into the new borat. Are these people really that clueless? I can get some of the older ones but the debutante ball seems like someone would have figured it out.
Everyone knew something was off, they were just in shock watching or were too polite to kick them out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar was dumb, but smart dumb.

Kristen Wiig is great, and it had a lot of good laughs.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:48 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:45 pm It sounds like Nomadland would be right up my alley - but I don't want to spend the time if it's really grim. (Even if it's really well-made grim.) So once y'all watch it, let me know.
Supposedly from the reviews, it's the very opposite of grim. (i.e. joyous and life-affirming)
Last night I was looking for a feel good movie. Saw a Danish movie called “Another Round” described as life-affirming story of friendship. It starts off with 4 high school teachers sleepwalking through miserable lives and then takes a turn into a death spiral. Thanks, Hulu! Actually a pretty interesting movie, but not the pick me up I needed last night.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We just watched 'Ma Rainey's Black Bottom'.

If you are so inclined, bet the mortgage on Chadwick Bosman winning the Oscar. It's a lock. (The movie is pretty good too).
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I don’t know if the plot of I Care a Lot could and does actually happen, but it’s pretty fucking scary if it does. Not a bad movie (on Netflix).
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:14 am Haven't seen many of the nominated movies and performances yet, but I did stay awake through "Mank" which is well acted and looks great but is definitely not worth 2 + hours of your time.
I actually did fall asleep halfway through that one and have to finish it here one of these days.
Watched Mank tonight. A bit dry, but I enjoyed it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Godzilla v. Kong....2 maybe 2.5 stars. You know what you are getting when you go in.

The Four Year Plan--documentary on the Amazon Prime about QPR's effort to return to the EPL. This description below really does cover it. The owners bought the team and brought the cameras in but gave them pretty wide range. So most of it is focused on the owenrs (Briatore, Ecclesonte, etc), chairman, and managers). Watching the Italians just lose their mind over coaches is FANTASTIC.
The Four Year Plan is a 2011 documentary that follows QPR’s attempts to gain promotion to the Premier League between 2007 and 2011. It is both ridiculous and brilliant.

You probably know its storyline: in 2007, cash-strapped QPR were bought by Formula 1 tycoons Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone, and the family of steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal.

The new owners gained notoriety for sacking several managers over a short space of time but ultimately brought their ‘four-year plan’ to completion, securing promotion to the Premier League in 2011.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Godzilla v Kong was weird, but I haven't watched much of the previous ones in this series. Just... the amount of mass death and destruction seems weirdly ignored, but I couldn't really get past that every time one of them would destroy an aircraft carry or an apartment building or whatever and I'm like, "well, that's about 3000 dead people... that's another 1000..."
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm Godzilla v Kong was weird, but I haven't watched much of the previous ones in this series. Just... the amount of mass death and destruction seems weirdly ignored, but I couldn't really get past that every time one of them would destroy an aircraft carry or an apartment building or whatever and I'm like, "well, that's about 3000 dead people... that's another 1000..."
That's every Marvel/comic book movie too and I can never get past it either. At a certain point the "heroes" aren't really helping things by ringing up a half million deaths by collateral damage just so they can kill some weird spacelord.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A kaiju does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep.

The latest superman reboot caught a lot of flak for destroying metropolis, so Batman Vs. Superman's big fight came in an abandoned part of town. Godzilla vs. Kong was exactly what I thought it would be. Didn't expect good, just expected monsters fighting.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm Godzilla v Kong was weird, but I haven't watched much of the previous ones in this series. Just... the amount of mass death and destruction seems weirdly ignored, but I couldn't really get past that every time one of them would destroy an aircraft carry or an apartment building or whatever and I'm like, "well, that's about 3000 dead people... that's another 1000..."
That's every Marvel/comic book movie too and I can never get past it either. At a certain point the "heroes" aren't really helping things by ringing up a half million deaths by collateral damage just so they can kill some weird spacelord.
In the Expanse series, something happens that kills billions of people. I'm pretty sure the death toll from that event is higher than the entire human population right now. That's a bit discomfiting.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:27 pm A kaiju does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep.

The latest superman reboot caught a lot of flak for destroying metropolis, so Batman Vs. Superman's big fight came in an abandoned part of town. Godzilla vs. Kong was exactly what I thought it would be. Didn't expect good, just expected monsters fighting.
Going back to the original Japanese monster movies - Tokyo always got destroyed. A tribute to Japanese engineering that they could ever rebuild it in time for the next bout of destruction.

I loved the old kaiju movies - unlike the Marvel or DC "films" they knew that they could tell a dopey story in 80-90 minutes.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

In fairness, in the MCU, they do make the fallout from that a pretty major plot point of the series.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm
In the Expanse series, something happens that kills billions of people. I'm pretty sure the death toll from that event is higher than the entire human population right now. That's a bit discomfiting.
Hey Hey Hey...spoilers man!

(Just kidding...by the time we actually get to whenever that happens, I'll probably have forgotten I read this)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I'm watching Being There (Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine). Where's this freakin movie been all my life?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:20 pm So I'm watching Being There (Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine). Where's this freakin movie been all my life?
Gonna watch that this weekend since I’ve never seen it and it drops off HBOMax at end of month.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:20 pm So I'm watching Being There (Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine). Where's this freakin movie been all my life?
That is a great one.

Chauncey Gardiner reminds me of a benign version of Trump.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:46 am
brian wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am
Watched Mank tonight. A bit dry, but I enjoyed it.
Finally watched this over the weekend. I liked it overall, as I do pretty much every Fincher, but the "flashbacks" were definitely more enjoyable than the time in which the movie was taking place.

Also kept up in the last two weeks with watching older movies of the recently deceased.
For George Segal, I loved Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, though it'd probably be even better on the stage where it originally was.
For Yaphet Kotto, I saw my first (and his first) Roger Moore Bond film. It's not a good film at all, almost Blaxploitation, but I guess it was entertaining enough. And who knew that Jane Seymour's film debut was as a Bond girl? Not I.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That's a great movie. Peter Sellers is so damn good in it.

The book (by Jerzy Kosinski) is really good as well.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:32 pm
In fairness, in the MCU, they do make the fallout from that a pretty major plot point of the series.
Exactly. Hell, its central to all the series now.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:51 pm
That's a great movie. Peter Sellers is so damn good in it.

The book (by Jerzy Kosinski) is really good as well.
He really was. I’d consider it one of the better acting performances I’ve ever seen if I were at all qualified to make such a statement.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I think I watched that movie in the theaters, when it came out. Possibly even with my parents.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Unhinged (included with Amazon Prime) was fun. Don't think too hard but just a good suspense. My only complaint, why get a fat Russell Crowe when you could have just gotten John Goodman.