Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

Watched he Florida project. Pretty excellent. Gut wrenching at times. And he performance by the little girl in the last five minutes was out of this world.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:12 pm So I set a loose goal of trying to see one movie a week in a theater, have only gotten to two this year and I'm figuring out why. There's a lot of dreck out there. Gonna go see Darkest Hour (which I legit do want to see) and hopefully there's something decent coming out next week because that's the only choice this week.
Oh, to be childless... I've been to two movies this decade, both children's movies.
Including a couple of premieres that my wife got passes for at work, we have been to 4 movies in the theatre in a decade.

But you know what - unless it's a special effects movie, who cares? We've got the big TVs, and once you pass a certain age, it doesn't matter if you see the movie when it opens. You reach a certain age, the thrill of seeing a new movie fades away once you realize that with parking and popcorn and a drink, you're dropping over $50 to see a movie.

(Yes, I sound like my Grandfather.)
And when you get older it is nice to be able to pause the movie for a bathroom break
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Saw Bronx Tale last night. It was aight.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The movie was just OK, but I got to see Chazz Palminteri perform it as his one-man play and it was much, much better.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Going to see the full Broadway show tomorrow night.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I didn't even know that was a thing. Sounds like it could be good.

Yeah, Chazz was phenomenal in it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I haven't see the movie.

I'm expecting "Jersey Boys" set in the Bronx, but it's a night out in the city with my wife so as long it's not deadly boring (which I don't expect) I'll be happy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am I haven't see the movie.

I'm expecting "Jersey Boys" set in the Bronx, but it's a night out in the city with my wife so as long it's not deadly boring (which I don't expect) I'll be happy.
ETA: It's more like Goodfellas if Henry Hill were torn between being a gangster or not.

I haven't heard anything about the musical, but it's been out for awhile so it must not be too bad. It really is a hell of a story. The movie only really pales in comparison to the play (in my opinion) because it's told so powerfully by Palmenteri.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Jersey Boys thing is just because that's a reference they use constantly in the commercials (though I did just see one the other day with Palmenteri in the back of a taxi on the way to the show and OMG can you guess who the taxi driver was?).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 am
rass wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am I haven't see the movie.

ETA: It's more like Goodfellas if Henry Hill were torn between being a gangster or not.

I haven't heard anything about the musical, but it's been out for awhile so it must not be too bad. It really is a hell of a story. The movie only really pales in comparison to the play (in my opinion) because it's told so powerfully by Palmenteri.
Didn't Palmentieri write it? And that it's autobiographical?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That was my understanding. Semi- on the second, at least.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 am That was my understanding. Semi- on the second, at least.
Yeah, both are correct.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Avram wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 am
Including a couple of premieres that my wife got passes for at work, we have been to 4 movies in the theatre in a decade.

But you know what - unless it's a special effects movie, who cares? We've got the big TVs, and once you pass a certain age, it doesn't matter if you see the movie when it opens. You reach a certain age, the thrill of seeing a new movie fades away once you realize that with parking and popcorn and a drink, you're dropping over $50 to see a movie.

And when you get older it is nice to be able to pause the movie for a bathroom break
There is that too.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:17 pm

There is that too.
My 82 year-old father is somewhat angry and hostile about technology. I think It frustrates him that he can't keep up with it. So, he refuses to acknowledge most of it, even if it is easy and useful for him. I was at his home over the holidays and we were watching a football game. I grabbed the remote and re-wound a bit so my brother and I could re-watch a play, and I confused/pissed him off a bit. Then, I offered to pause it when he went to the bathroom, and he wasn't having any of that, either. It's hell to get old.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:12 pm So I set a loose goal of trying to see one movie a week in a theater, have only gotten to two this year and I'm figuring out why. There's a lot of dreck out there. Gonna go see Darkest Hour (which I legit do want to see) and hopefully there's something decent coming out next week because that's the only choice this week.
Oh, to be childless... I've been to two movies this decade, both children's movies.

Also, other people are assholes at movies. Either they're talking or eating as loudly as possible.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Also, other people are assholes at movies. Either they're talking or eating as loudly as possible.
Watching anything at home while teenagers are in the house has the same issue.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 pm

There is that too.
My 82 year-old father is somewhat angry and hostile about technology. I think It frustrates him that he can't keep up with it. So, he refuses to acknowledge most of it, even if it is easy and useful for him. I was at his home over the holidays and we were watching a football game. I grabbed the remote and re-wound a bit so my brother and I could re-watch a play, and I confused/pissed him off a bit. Then, I offered to pause it when he went to the bathroom, and he wasn't having any of that, either. It's hell to get old.
I wonder if I'll ever get to that point. I mean... I'm *kinda* like that with Siri and the Amazon Echo (I think that's what it's called) and talking to devices to have it do something. I either forget that it's an option or when I do use it, it can be frustrating.

But with most stuff... Bring it. I love ALL of the advancements with regards to TV and fully embrace moving towards an a la carte approach to my channels (apps). And I'm cool if the car wants to park itself, have at it hoss.

And you want to keep making my smartphone smarter, cool with me.

=-=-=-=-=

In terms of going to the movie theater, we have one of those fancy ass places with reclining chairs, waiters and amazing food and drink options very close to our neighborhood. It's expensive as fuck, but since we only go see things like Star Wars or other special effect-type films, it kind of evens out in terms of entertainment dollars. (we used to go to a lot of movies.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:52 pm

There is that too.
I wonder if I'll ever get to that point. I mean... I'm *kinda* like that with Siri and the Amazon Echo (I think that's what it's called) and talking to devices to have it do something. I either forget that it's an option or when I do use it, it can be frustrating.

But with most stuff... Bring it. I love ALL of the advancements with regards to TV and fully embrace moving towards an a la carte approach to my channels (apps). And I'm cool if the car wants to park itself, have at it hoss.

=-=-=-=-=

In terms of going to the movie theater, we have one of those fancy ass places with reclining chairs, waiters and amazing food and drink options very close to our neighborhood. It's expensive as fuck, but since we only go see things like Star Wars or other special effect-type films, it kind of evens out in terms of entertainment dollars. (we used to go to a lot of movies.)
We have a few of these places too, and the original one around here pisses me off because they don't fully dim the theater lights until 10 or so minutes into the movie. Counterpoint, they are 21 & up, so no fucking kids running around.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:13 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:52 pm

There is that too.

=-=-=-=-=

We have a few of these places too, and the original one around here pisses me off because they don't fully dim the theater lights until 10 or so minutes into the movie. Counterpoint, they are 21 & up, so no fucking kids running around.
We have a Flix Brewhouse and it is the only place we will see movies other than the Arts theater here. Good beer. reasonably priced. very adult forward.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd probably patronize any theater which banned any kind of candy that can be shaken like a goddamn fucking maraca in a box by assholes who don't care how much noise they're making.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's utter bullshit re: the lights.

We get to that theater a solid 15 minutes prior so we can put our food and drink order in and not be bothered during the flick.

* - 30 minutes prior, lights fully up, and they run in-house shorts about cool cocktails, travel stuff, recipes and stuff like that. Actually kind of entertaining and it's not all straight, "here, look at this thing, now go order it." Most of the food and drinks aren't on the menu.

* - 10 minutes before the previews, they dim the lights. This is when a lot of the food ordering and delivery is going on.

* When the previews start, it goes completely dark. There are definitely times when the food ordering can be annoying during previews, but, I mean... Whatever.

The only thing about that place is that because you're basically sitting on your dad's lazy boy, people can get WAY too comfortable. It's rare, but a few times someone's had to be told to pipe down. I didn't pay this amount of money to listen to you react to the screen and talk to your buddy. STFU, especially at this joint.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pmThe only thing about that place is that because you're basically sitting on your dad's lazy boy, people can get WAY too comfortable.
A female friend claims to have had sex in one of those.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:38 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pmThe only thing about that place is that because you're basically sitting on your dad's lazy boy, people can get WAY too comfortable.
A female friend claims to have had sex in one of those.
Well, 100 percent you could get hand favors. They give you blankets for cripes sake.

You'd have to be in the right location, though.. at least at the iPic joint. There's also the issue of the waiters moving about fairly frequently. But flicking the bean or having her email your brother? Pretty sure that's common.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Had to have been in a pretty empty theater. (And if I recall correctly, that particular one had an electronic ordering system, so waiters would only come in when summoned. {Which is probably typical now that I think about it.})
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 am
rass wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 am Oh man I hope this is real and not a fucking Super Bowl joke or something (though speaking of which the Taco Bell fries/conspiracy thing was pretty well done):

Everything I have read is that this is joke. The way Hollywood works I would find it hard to believe that if it was real folks would not have been talking about it.
Well done Australia Tourism Board....Well done
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yes, that was the only commercial worth much.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am Yes, that was the only commercial worth much.
I thought the Tide ones throughout the night were clever. Especially the Old Spice knockoff.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am Yes, that was the only commercial worth much.
I thought the Tide ones throughout the night were clever. Especially the Old Spice knockoff.
yeah, they were OK. Eli was solid too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am
Yeah, I liked the Tide running gag, and the Old Spice was the one that tricked me. I thought the Crocodile Dundee one was hilarious. I was yelling at the TV, saying I can't believe they are making this movie, then burst out laughing. It took some explaining to my son, and ended with, "how is that funny?"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

From just a straight marketer(marketing) perspective, the Tide ads were BRILLIANT. They put it in the viewers head to ask the question ("is THIS a Tide ad, too?") in front of every single ad.

That's fucking clever.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We went to see Lady Bird yesterday. Thought it was great.

I'm always amazed at actors that can totally lose their normal speaking voice. Saoirse Ronan, when you hear her in interviews, has a thick Irish lilt. But in the movie, she totally sounds like a high school girl from Sacramento.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Call Me by your name is pretty excellent. Very subtle movie for being in your face at same time.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm We went to see Lady Bird yesterday. Thought it was great.

I'm always amazed at actors that can totally lose their normal speaking voice. Saoirse Ronan, when you hear her in interviews, has a thick Irish lilt. But in the movie, she totally sounds like a high school girl from Sacramento.
Rules (her accent is almost as pretty as she is):

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

She reminds me of my old officemate.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Blade Runner 2049 was pretty, and I think I liked the story better than most did, but it ended apruptly - which is hard for a 2:45 minute movie. The denouement was fine, but the set up just before was not.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 am Blade Runner 2049 was pretty, and I think I liked the story better than most did, but it ended apruptly - which is hard for a 2:45 minute movie. The denouement was fine, but the set up just before was not.
I thought Blade Runner was good....but SLOOOOOOOOOOW. How many scenes did we need of Gosling walking slowly into a space, and looking around in amazement?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:31 am
A_B wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 am Blade Runner 2049 was pretty, and I think I liked the story better than most did, but it ended apruptly - which is hard for a 2:45 minute movie. The denouement was fine, but the set up just before was not.
I thought Blade Runner was good....but SLOOOOOOOOOOW. How many scenes did we need of Gosling walking slowly into a space, and looking around in amazement?
I haven't seen the new one yet, but the original is exceptionally slow as well. It surprised me when I watched it again a couple of years ago after not seeing it in forever.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Darkest Hour was pretty good - don't think it will win best picture (CMBYN was a better movie of the ones I have seen so far). Kind of a straight tell, which I enjoyed. I guess playing Churchill for an Englishman is like playing Washington or Lincoln for an American (ETA: probably not...needs to be someone with more flaws maybe)? Oldman was really good. I liked the look of the movie - it was....dusty? Not that I was crying, but it seemed to have this dourness over it all - because I think parliament is stodgy? Then in a pivotal scene away from there, it's brighter. I didn't use to notice things like that but I find myself watching movies more for that type of thing.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched "Maudie" about Canadian folk artist Maude Lewis.

Hers is a strange, strange story - kind of well known in some parts of Canada.

Anyway, the movie is excellent. Sad, gentle and ultimately kind of happy.

Good script, well made, and the two lead actors - Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke are incredible.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 am Saw I, Tonya last night. Went to it expecTing to not like it but damn, it was tremendous.
Saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. Allison Janney is a national treasure.